Rossi vs. Darden developments [CASE CLOSED]

• @IHFB

Your post quoted above raises some excellent points which I'd like to answer in full here. Actually, I've already done so, but this gives me a chance to drive the point home.

Personally, I am skeptical of all this stuff. I reckon people (even experts, as Wong) can make mistakes, or be technically correct but practically wrong. I include the IH experts in this.

I have posted here about two technical issues at length:

(1) The heat exchanger. I pointed out Wong's error (in the sense that it was a bad approximation) immediately his report was drawn to my attention. The latest post just clears up the few hand waving bits in the original, and provides a very certain derivation which anyone can check for themselves.

(2) The flow difference between flowmeter readings, and maximum flow through pumps driving active e-cats

Maybe you refer to (2) as flow and say it has been driven to the ground. But I've noticed you have never provided specific and detailed replies to my posts on this. For me, the only plausible ways you can make the flow issue work are either an e-cat bypass (invalidating the Penon report) or a badly erroneous flowmeter (invalidating the Penon report).

I'm happy for you to try, now, to drive this to the ground.

More generally. You post as though, of the many possible errors in Rossi's setup, IH are wrong unless all are true. Rossi has given us so little information due to perhaps legally admissable spoliation (which maybe the Magistrate will support) that we are all guessing what is his real setup. You seem to think that if IH propose 10 different ways it could be wrong, and only 1 ends up correct, that makes Rossi vindicated. 90% correct!

You can maybe understand that in this situation we have many possibilities, and only some will be true.

So - I rest my critique on two issues I highlighted strongly when they first appeared, and repeat from time to time. Perhaps you'd like to tell me some issue I strongly supported that has now been discredited?

• Flowrate inconsistency
    • Heat dissipation problem (made worse because Rossi appears to believe it and has sworn on oath that he had a vanishing heat exchanger).

I was not sure that proof for the heat dissipation problem existed, before Rossi introduced the heat exchanger, even though it is obviously an issue. Now that Rossi has said he used the heat exchanger, it has more legs.

There are many other issues here which smell to high heaven, and which people of good will and no bias note. And with no clear invalidation, Rossi's duplicitous acts so far, and his large control over the test, would render it worthless. But these are the two technical issues, for me, that in spite of Rossi's attempts to remove all evidence of this test, seem very strong. Even one of these being real invalidates Rossi's claims.

• I am sure that it makes absolutely no difference whether that pipe is DN40 or DN80 or 1 foot in diameter. I am sure it would not make the slightest difference whether the temperature was 101 deg C or 104 deg C.

I am sure you live in La La land if you think these don't matter. Your entire false edifice about pressure was based on false claimed pipe sizes.

• Wong was there and took photos on Feb 10 2017.

The Plant was shut down Feb 17, 2016.

The suposed mezzanine heat exchanger was dissasembled immediately after Plant shut down, and certainly before April 2016. Or so the story goes.

We are led to believe that the middle window that was used for venting, etc., was missing for nearly two years. It was being replaced when Wong was there, Feb 10, 2017, even though it was in place in many photos in 2015.

A classic example of Rossi misdirection. And transparent, like the window.

• @THH,

There is no flow rate inconsistency. If you still think there is, you do not understand E48's analysis.

Focus on the heat exchanger. I have huge doubts about this as well. IH will win this case at any rate due to the JMP ruse. But if the heat exchanger existed and was adequate, then IH will not win in convincing half of the LENR community that the e-Cat doesn't work.

• Official Post

If it is revealed that JMP was a giant ruse, we will expose that for what it is, and not make excuses for Rossi.

IHFB,

You do realize that JMP *WAS* "exposed as a giant ruse"?

I periodically see others refer to JMP/Rossi as an unsettled issue. That JMP may still be revealed as an legitimate customer, with a product. That is not true... Rossi was JMP, JMP was Rossi, so there was no customer, there was no product, so it is settled. Or it should be.

Can we all agree to lay that one to rest? If not, and any of you disagree, then get it out, but show your proof.

• @Shane,

To dispel all doubt from my end, I believe the JMP situation was a complete ruse. Rossi had me personally believing that there was a legit customer.

Now, as THH has pointed out before, there are bits of truth here and there that Rossi can hang his hat on say: see, I was technically telling the truth all along. But I don't think the jury will buy it. And I don't think the LENR community is either, whether pro e-Cat or against.

• @THH,

There is no flow rate inconsistency. If you still think there is, you do not understand E48's analysis.

Focus on the heat exchanger. I have huge doubts about this as well. IH will win this case at any rate due to the JMP ruse. But if the heat exchanger existed and was adequate, then IH will not win in convincing half of the LENR community that the e-Cat doesn't work.

Your doubts about the heat exchanger would reassure me if you provided evidence to back them up, like calculations etc. But, I'm now very confident anyway for the reasons I've shown above.

You are probably right I don't understand E48 analysis. I find it inconsistent and difficult to follow. That may be my fault, so I'm very welcome to being educated and will change my view here if you can explain to me, based on your detailed understanding, why his work invalidates the simple and obvious flow issue. You probably need also to explain Alan Flecther's critique of E48 here.

• @THH,

I'm not even sure you have reviewed E48's analysis. But if you have, please point out where you feel it is inconsistent, and I will attempt to address. It seems consistent to me, both in terms of matching to extant photographs, and in all other respects. I'm not saying there aren't flaws, as he is going on best-available evidence at this point, and probably making some assumptions. But in my opinion, it is the best we've got, and I don't see any glaring inconsistencies.

• The pronoun "we" is commonly used in an expository style in English. Such usage includes the readers in the discussion and invites them to follow along in the exposition. This kind of language is often used in mathematics, for example, as seen in this discussion in a paper written by a single author, found in a 30 second Google search:

In §1 we introduce the basic vocabulary for mathematical statements. In §2 and §3 we introduce the basic principles for proving statements. We provide a handy chart which summarizes the meaning and basic ways to prove any type of statement. This chart does not include uniqueness proofs and proof by induction, which are explained in §3.3 and §4. Apendix A reviews some terminology from set theory which we will use and gives some more (not terribly interesting) examples of proofs.

Is it really "we" who are introducing the basic vocabulary or the basic principles for proving statements? Is the author using the royal we? No in both cases. The inclusive style is so common that it can seem weird if it is not used in a long exposition.

• @THH,

I'm not even sure you have reviewed E48's analysis. But if you have, please point out where you feel it is inconsistent, and I will attempt to address. It seems consistent to me, both in terms of matching to extant photographs, and in all other respects. I'm not saying there aren't flaws, as he is going on best-available evidence at this point, and probably making some assumptions. But in my opinion, it is the best we've got, and I don't see any glaring inconsistencies.

Now that is naughty. It is work to do this stuff properly. You are the one saying this analysis is so convincing that I must be wrong. So please outline which bit of it (there are many posts scattered all over the place) relates to the flow issue and summarise the argument for us?

I am genuinely interested since I can't say any way out of the flow discrepancy myself.

• Rossi was JMP, JMP was Rossi, so there was no customer, there was no product, so it is settled. Or it should be.

Some old Rossi statements about the "customer":

• @THH,

Well, not quite as naughty as you, since I'm pretty sure you haven't even spent a little amount of time reviewing his analysis, because you seemed surprised when I mentioned that the Grundfos was the prime mover, and that the site glass indicates there was no flooding as alleged by Smith.

• @THH,

Well, not quite as naughty as you, since I'm pretty sure you haven't even spent a little amount of time reviewing his analysis, because you seemed surprised when I mentioned that the Grundfos was the prime mover, and that the site glass indicates there was no flooding as alleged by Smith.

I spent about one hour reading his stuff and other poisonous posts on ECW. When I do this, I want to correct, which I cannot on ECW since am banned. So I don't go there often. And no, I was only surprised that you were making an argument that proved my case. I guess I should not have been :)

Anyway I'm very happy to review any of E48's posts here that you think are relevant to the flow issue.

• Andrea Rossi

March 13th, 2015 at 6:17 PM

Steven N. Karels:

[...] "Calorimetic measurements now are coupled with manufacturing efficiency

measurements, which put in evidence the very result that really counts:
    is our Customer making money with our plant or not ?

This is the most important issue." [...]

And? Did the customer made money?

That's so hilarious, after knowing from the deposition, that Rossi is in fact JM Products.

BTW: Did somebody already made a chart, where one can see which companies are all Rossi or founded by Rossi, Rossi involved and so on? There was a lot of stuff in the discovery: AEG, Platinum Trust, USQL, Florida Energy Trust, old Leonardo and new Leonardo ...

• Official Post

Shane ---he placed a radiator in an insulated box?

IHS,

That seems to be it's only purpose...to radiate the heat from the H2O (water, or steam...take your pick :) ) line from the 1MW plant, cool it down to the 60C, and send it back to the plant. Or maybe you engineers would call it a condenser?

The black box BTW, as far as I can tell, had no real function, other than to look like a miniature production line in case someone caught a glimpse of it...which Rossi ferociously guarded against. Of course, sooner or later someone would see it, Rossi knew that, and when that happened they would see what looked like a production line. I guess it had another purpose, and that would be to hide what lay within, which is not very impressive looking, nor looked capable of dealing with 1MW thermal.

So why he bothered with insulating it, is confusing, and why he put heating cables on the serpentine pipes (radiator) even more so.

• I've now read Smith's reports and full deposition (before report 2), and Murray's full deposition.

Smith has a totally closed mind ... despite admitting that he's never seen the insides of a big frankie he's absolutely convinced that it's impossible for it to contain a super-heater of any kind. He also refuses to consider COP > 1 as a possibility. I agree with his CFM calculation, but found a less-intimidating 50 CFM fan. I disagree with his feedwater conclusions. And curious that he doesn't consider the flowmeter.

Murray is a good engineer, and was trying to get to the bottom of things.

They both wanted a direct steam flow measurement, which I endorse.

Wong: 233-3 http://coldfusioncommunity.net…7/01/0233.3_Exhibit_C.pdf has photos, presumably taken on his site visit (date? Not in his report, nor his partial deposition? H mentions "that Friday" and "the 13th" .. 2nd and 13th February are referred to later ) E48's 4-pipes ... the only possible connection to the mezzanine do not apparently enter the space. The "Glass Company" truck is visible .. potential witnesses?

Considering Wong and Smith's photos, I don't believe there was a mezzanine radiator. On JONP ISTR Rossi kept changing his explanation. Asked about the dissipation, he implied natural convection through the roof. (But no fan, and vents closed)

E48: I agree with most of his pipe diagrams, but not necessarily his analysis. But I don't think the Grunfold (sp) was in action all the time (there's deposition stuff that said it was just for start-up, and then bypassed), so there goes his "2-stream" input into the big frankies. Missing a pump?

Sanity check on dissipation. The customer box was 3x3x20 meters ... ignoring the base, that's surface area 198 m^2. Needs 5KW per m^2 to dissipate 1MW. Using the Siemens calculator https://www.thermal-wizard.com/tmwiz/default.htm for a horizontal top plate with 1x1 meter square, surface at 103C and ambient 20C I only get 567W convective and 610W radiative, 1.2KW total.

(I set the surface temperature of the big black box to 103C, the same temp as the steam outlet. Even hypothetically it couldn't get hotter than that.)

• @Alan F.,

Bass says the Grunfold was sometimes bypassed, and we see in the photos that it was designed to be bypassed. We also know that the flow varied considerably at different times throughout the year long test. The flow rate of the Grunfold is also adjustable. The fluctuations we see in the data indicate that at times the Grunfold was either dialed down or bypassed completely, and that would be consistent with what we see. Whether it was only used on startup or as the prime mover for much of the test is in question. Bass seems to think the former, but Bass also seems pretty uninformed of what was actually going on.

As for the heat exchanger, I agree, doesn't look good for Rossi.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.