Rossi vs. Darden developments [CASE CLOSED]

• Jed, this type of argument is not my favourite. Unsubstantiated. You can try to substantiate it and in doing so make a more precise point, but maybe not what you say above. I'm going to do it for the fans Rossi claims he used (which could not cool 1MW with the Rossi piping - but that is a separate argument).

Smith did a much better job substantiating this argument than I did. Let me quote him:

"If the unit were generating the amount of heat that Penon claims, and that heat had been

left to naturally dissipate, no human could have worked, or even survived, for long in the space.

Obviously, this temperature rise in the space never happened.

Alternatively, JMP could have used a roof-mounted fan to remove all rejected heat. Fan

sizing is:

CFM = Cubic Feet of air per Minute

c = Specific heat of air in BTU per pound of air per °F (BTU / Lb. °F) = 0.24

ΔT = Temperature difference of the air, in this case 130° F - 80° F

ρ = Average density of the air in pounds per cubic foot = 14.3

CFM = (2,700,000) x (1 / c) x (1 / 60) x (1 / 130 – 80) x ρ

= (2,700,000) x (1 / 0.24) x (1 / 60) x (1 / 50) x 14.3

= 53,625 CFM

A roof mounted fan to move this much air would have a blade diameter of about 54”, a

10 HP motor, would have dimensions of about 60” square and about 48” high, and would look

something like the next picture."

http://coldfusioncommunity.net…/01/0235.01_Exhibit_1.pdf

Is that better?

You cannot use only two panes of glass with a 54" fan blade. I am pretty sure a 10 HP fan would blow out the remaining glass if you tried.

More to the point, no one puts 1-MW class ventilation equipment in a room upstairs. You put it in open air, up on the roof, or in a space on the ground next to the building. Like an air conditioner compressor and fan. It would be crazy to enclose it in the building.

The part about having to separate the inlet and outlet ducts is my own observation, based on what I know about HVAC equipment. Even outdoors, warm air sticks around more than you might think. Putting the inlet right next to the outlet degrades performance. This is why you should trim back shrubbery around an air conditioner outside unit, to disperse the warm air.

• 14m^3/s from the two fans (50,000 m^3/hour). And BTW this gives you only 100kW cooling - a factor of 10 adrift.

Smith estimates 53,625 CFM (cubic feet per minute). That comes to 91,109 m^3/hour. So 50,000 m^3/hour would be enough for roughly 500 kW I suppose. However, Smith is talking about commercial grade ventilation equipment, such as the equipment shown in the photo on p. 17 of his report. That is a 60" by 48" roof mounted box. That works much better than the imaginary home-made heat exchanger Rossi described.

On p. 17, Smith goes on to say "the best way to remove the heat is with a cooling tower." He shows a photo of a 1-MW rated tower. In U.S. HVAC standards this is referred to as a 225 Ton unit, meaning it can melt 225 tons of ice in 24 hours. It is "about 12' x 12' x 12'." I pointed to similar photos of cooling towers with this much capacity. I said they are roughly the size of automobiles, which is about right.

You cannot hide a 12' x 12' x 12' cooling tower, and you sure as heck cannot put it inside. That would defeat the purpose, to say the least.

Actually, an air conditioner ventilation unit can be put inside a structure, to hide it. It has to be in a walled off area of the roof, not in a room. I saw one just yesterday at a swank resort hotel. There is a large wooden grill on the roof eaves, much larger than a window, with a lot of noise and wind coming from it. The equipment is just inside. This is more or less the same as plunking the unit on the roof, but you can't see it.

It was under one of the triangular eaves on the right side of this pretentious building:

000832-05-exterior-entrance.jpg

They don't want visible HVAC equipment on the roof. That is a common aesthetic convention. Architects, interior designers, automobile designers and others feel a need to hide the functionality of structures and machines, as if it is somehow unseemly. Maybe they want it to look like a 19th century building, because they make no effort to hide the chimneys. They hide machinery under the eaves or at the service entrance. Clothing designers hide zippers. Computer designers don't want you to see the hard disk. I never understood that aesthetic.

Anyway, that's off topic!

Smith estimates 53,625 CFM (cubic feet per minute). That comes to 91,109 m^3/hour. So 50,000 m^3/hour would be enough for roughly 500 kW I suppose. However, Smith is talking about commercial grade ventilation equipment, such as the equipment shown in the photo on p. 17 of his report. That is a 60" by 48" roof mounted box. That works much better than the imaginary home-made heat exchanger Rossi described.

Yes, but I was doing the calculation for Rossi's claimed fans, less by a factor of 2 from what Smith says is needed. I agree - even with a good heat exchanger and super high power fans the airflow Rossi says he uses is marginal for 1MW.

The point here is that what Rossi says he has does not work, a stronger point than (what is also true) that a typical 1MW heat exchanger is not possible.

• Official Post

The actual power needed will be higher due to ducting losses. We know there must be ducting because Rossi replaces the glass of the window pain (presumably removing the ducting) when the google cameras come by.

So it would. But the heat dissipation required would also be lower due to losses from every part of the system by radiation, convection, leaks etc.

• Official Post

From Andrea Rossi's JONP via http://egooutpeters.blogspot.r…enr-info-shortissimo.html

Cavaliere. April 17, 2017 at 12:08 AM

Dr Andrea Rossi,
    Are you still studying with Carl-Oscar Gullstrom on the theory you published on Arxiv Physics?
    Thanks,C.

Andrea Rossi. April 17, 2017 at 8:23 AM
    Cavaliere:
    Yes. We are preparing an updated version, more detailed and with the addiction of the description of an experiment made with standard calorimetry, whose results will be compared to the results obtained by direct measurements made using the Wien and Boltzmann equations. Also the theoretical part will be reviewed. We are studying and experimenting.
    Warm Regards,A.R.

• So it would. But the heat dissipation required would also be lower due to losses from every part of the system by radiation, convection, leaks etc.

But would not those leaks, convection etc. simply throw the heat back into the plant and thus raise the inside temperature? The whole reason for the exchanger was to move the heat outside. Since we both know the heat does not disappear, it has to go somewhere, either stays inside or gets ventilated outside. I think the calculations THH and Smith made where showing what it would be required to move the heat outside and not raise the internal temperature.

I many have misunderstood your thoughts.

• We are studying and experimenting.

Does anyone know if Gullsotrom is in Florida? I assume not. Therefore all experiments will be the same as before. Designed by Rossi, performed by Rossi and reported by Rossi. I suspect Gullstrom was not physically at the first QuarkX, but it is only assumption based upon him be a grad student and it unlikely he would travel to the US for a hours long test. I could very well be wrong, but we have no information either way other than "Rossi says". I do not put any confidence in "Rossi says". This would be the pattern we have seen in the past.

• Official Post

Well, the HVAC guy I spoke to calculated that a building like the one in Doral could dissipate 150-200kW all on its own. And I was under the impression there were ventilators in the roof? And bi doors, which were mostly left open.

As for Gullstrom's whereabouts, you are guessing, aren't you? I would merely like to point out that since the invention of the steamboat crossing the Atlantic is no longer perilous and fairly fast.

• I would not expect that Rossi will be honest about the details of his future experiments. If Rossi's QuarkX is producing mesons and pions as his first theory paper states, Rossi will never acknowledge the production of muons as a decay product of those mesons. Muons detection will place Rossi's certification efforts into the crapper. Even so, honesty is the best policy. If Rossi begins production of the QuarkX in a big way without acknowledging this muon generation overhanging his invention, he will be in big trouble with nuclear regulators. It is best to be honest and pay the price early on then be ruined at a later time.

• Well, the HVAC guy I spoke to calculated that a building like the one in Doral could dissipate 150-200kW all on its own. And I was under the impression there were ventilators in the roof? And bi doors, which were mostly left open.

As for Gullstrom's whereabouts, you are guessing, aren't you? I would merely like to point out that since the invention of the steamboat crossing the Atlantic is no longer perilous and fairly fast.

mostly left open.... You mean that all the doors were open all night long with no security?

• The Lugano test was thoroughly represented as being totally independent. Even the final report stated :

"The dummy reactor was switched on at 12:20 PM of 24 February 2014 by Andrea Rossi who gradually brought it to the power level requested by us. Rossi later intervened to switch off the dummy, and in the following subsequent operations on the E-Cat: charge insertion, reactor startup, reactor shutdown and powder charge extraction. Throughout the test, no further intervention or interference on his part occurred; moreover, all phases of the test were monitored directly by the collaboration. "

See : http://amsacta.unibo.it/4084/1/LuganoReportSubmit.pdf

We now know that Rossi ran the entire Lugano test and that the professors were rarely there at all! Does this sound familiar? :/

Penon "took" the measurements for the 1 year test indeed..... he "took" them from Rossi!

How about where Rossi wrote memos stating that he had talked to the JMP customer! And I can go on an on.

Rossi has proven throughout the years, that he words sentences for plausible denial and to how they suit him. Following Rossi's past statement, "Mr. Gullstrom participating in the experiment" most likely means "he took the values I emailed him and did some calculations". He participated by analyzing the data.

So you fully believe Gullstrom was there, and you believe it because Rossi told you! You have NO other reason to believe other than "Rossi says" and you are posting that you believe Rossi! :rolleyes: What faith and loyalty!

Yes, when there is an abundance of reputable scientists in the US, Rossi is going to pay a grad student's travel costs to come to the US and witness a hours long test on short notice! That really brings a lot of credibility to him does it not! ?( People need to start looking at the big picture and not one sentence, "tunnel vision".

I could be wrong and I will state it! My above is opinion based upon the long history of Rossi. I make no bones about it, Opinion only. But... fool me once shame on you.... fool me a dozen times over and shame on ME! That hole is really deep by now! :thumbup:

• Interpret that as you may, but it sounds like (to me) that Mr. Gullström participated in the experiment at the stated address.

From your first post, you disagreed with me and stated you believed it. You certainly were not agreeing with it! Why else would you have answered as such?

Thus my reply about "Rossi says" history.

I'll give you this: the words are ambiguous and could be interpreted either way.

I can agree with your second statement 100% and have no problem with that. But that is not the original statement that I responded to!

Perhaps it is simply a matter of how one words things and thus why so many of your posts are "harshly" responded to. Whether you are aware of it or not,

your posts DO show bias and to a high level! Often to the verge of incredulousness! I will try to view your posts through a different lens and urge you to view them likewise. I have no desire to argue for arguments sake, but I also have no tolerance for blatant hypocrisy either. Again, I may be wrong but the verbal duels I see are often more due to this core issue than the "obscure facts". I cannot speak for others, but I suspect they may feel somewhat the same. It is not that we all have to agree on everything, it is simply the "false face" that one is seeking for truth, but then makes posts like the first one above! If you would have added your second line to the first post, I would have agreed 100%. :thumbup:

• Official Post

We now know that Rossi ran the entire Lugano test and that the professors were rarely there at all! Does this sound familiar?

It is indeed one of the most terrible manipulation.

Again, I feel fooled, not by Rossi, whom I don't believe the least word since long, even when defending his "plausible deniability" stories.... but by the swedish team.

This mean levi, and worst of all the Swedish professors, have lied to us.

I defended the implausibility of the inverted clamp story because it was done by serious professors, not even levi, but it seems they wrote erroneous claims.

This have to be confirmed, because the accusation is too serious. It is deep misconduct, and this have to be proven.

anyway JMP fake independence is the other terrible lie.

i don't care about heat dissipation, because JMP circus is enough for me.

Please, believers, wake up! you have been fooled like I've been, like IH have been, like Dewey have been, like Ampenergo have been, like Hydrofusion have been.

Once you know you are fooled, you are no more fooled, you are just furious.

• Official Post

like Ampenergo have been

Ampenergo were not deceived, they became in 2013 by investment manager tactics Shareholder of IH. Which resulted in the fact that in 2014, before it ever came to the long-term test, Craig Cassarino waited like a commanding receiver for the instructions of Vaughn / Darden / Mazzarino. Some may ask why this guy never signed the Second Amendement.

• @Bob,

I never said I fully believe anything. I would appreciate it if you didn't put words in my mouth. I don't mock your opinion. Don't mock mine. I'll give you this: the words are ambiguous and could be interpreted either way.

A neutral observer would surely say a little bit more, or a little bit less, than that. Bob has cited numerous examples where statements that are ambiguous and could be interpreted either way from Rossi have corresponded to the least favourable real world facts.

This is called spin, and everyone can do it a bit, Rossi however stretches truth (in the examples Bob has noted and many others) to an unusual and unexpected extent.

You would have less an appearance of bias if you acknowledged this fact and applied it to these words, noting that given Rossi's past record what he says here provides no useful validation for what really happened. That is not what your previous words here seem to indicate.

• i don't care about heat dissipation, because JMP circus is enough for me.

Please, believers, wake up! you have been fooled like I've been, like IH have been, like Dewey have been, like Ampenergo have been, like Hydrofusion have been.

Once you know you are fooled, you are no more fooled, you are just furious.

The heat dissipation issue is interesting, but personally it does not matter much to me either. There is a large body of evidence pointing to deliberate deception consistent throughout AR's career and ample evidence that his Ni+LiAlH4 system does not work. Any excess heat seen is negatively correlated with the rigor of the test, with Doral being the best example yet.

• We now know that Rossi ran the entire Lugano test and that the professors were rarely there at all! Does this sound familiar?

Penon "took" the measurements for the 1 year test indeed..... he "took" them from Rossi!

My good friends you all seems to forget that in this epoch there exist dataloggers and that data can be taken by experimenters even if they are far away from the experiment. The vast majority of physics experiments is done by machines and DAQ systems without the physical presence of the scientist (e.g. satellite experiments, submarine experiments and even experiments on accelerators)

A full IR video footage was taken during the Lugano and even full data from two PCE power meters. All operations ware recorded and written on file. (read the report)

Also in normal life we have many examples of this way of working. Electric energy counters (or water, gas) are read by providers via a remote connection or rarely sending a technician to read them.

Similarly telling that Penon has taken the data from Rossi is simply false and a nasty example of disinformation.

Penon has taken data from his own DAQ system and from his own apparatus.

I really think that if some people continue here with this kind of disinformation will simply destroy all the forum.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.