Rossi vs. Darden developments [CASE CLOSED]

• The experts in this case haven't spoken yet and will have their official say.

Let's hope the expert isn't Bill Nye the science guy. Our ostensibly most informed scientists are woefully uninformed about LENR. Even our ostensible LENR scientists are mostly anti-NiH. So yeah, you have a point, there are few expert witnesses who would back Rossi's claims, and most will vehemently oppose them. That doesn't make Rossi's claims wrong.

• Official Post

Very much looking forward to seeing who Rossi designates as his experts if he makes it that far.

Dewey,

If, as I suspect, Rossi played his best hand today, I hope this does not go any further. It should be tossed. This started last April. We will soon be at the year mark, and Rossi has yet to pull that wabbit out. By what is available in the public record...with IH promising to provide more upon request, it is all but assured that JMP has no parent company, there is no product, therefore no need for the steam, and no operational need for Bass. All lies.

Rossi did not use Doral to attain certification as he promised in his pitch. Penon so far has not participated. We have not even gotten to the legitimacy of the supposed GPT, which promises to be yet another farce. It (GPT) already is in some aspects, as Penon only showed up 5 times in 1 year, leaving it to Rossi to log the days data at the stroke of midnight. Laughable really, as almost everything is so far.

Yet, the case proceeds. Very baffling, and unfair it seems to me. Yes, I understand the wheels of justice turn slowly, but like I said, this is nearing the year mark, and the accuser has not shown a damn thing of substance, and the accused has provided actual evidence that supports their defense...and offense.

Good news though, in that there may be some truth to the Ecat, although maybe we should call it the Kittycat? But hey, anything overunity is good in my book.

• Good news though, in that there may be some truth to the Ecat

Nevertheless, IH led you and the world to believe that there was nothing this whole time. They purposely attempted to damage the LENR+ NiH movement, and those involved with it. They haven't been square with you or anyone else. I'm not saying Rossi has either. It is a dog-eat-dog world. Let this case proceed to its conclusion. I see no reason for either side to want to settle at this point.

• Official Post

Nevertheless, IH led you and the world to believe that there was nothing this whole time. They purposely attempted to damage the LENR+ NiH movement, and those involved with it. They haven't been square with you or anyone else. I'm not saying Rossi has either. It is a dog-eat-dog world. Let this case proceed to its conclusion. I see no reason for either side to want to settle at this point.

IHFB,

I see no equivalency between the long list of Rossi lies, and IH failing to admit they may have possibly seen a fleeting COP 1.3. Scientifically, that is nothing more than what has been reported since 1989. MFMP, BE, Piantelli, early Mills, and numerous hobbyists (Parkomov, the Chinese guy) all come to about that. If 1.3 were worth $89 million, then they all would be rich now. And me356 would be filthy rich, as somehow he replicated Rossi's exaggerated claims!. Wow :) Anyways, even TC concluded Lugano was roughly a small >COP in line with the others...and that guy is super smart as we all know.

If IH wanted too, I guess they could have confessed to yesterdays scientifically irrelevant revelation earlier, although doing so would have had no bearing on the contractual terms, as it far below what Rossi promised. It could have weighed on the IP Rossi transferred that IH disputes, but Rossi's suit is about collecting the big enchilada $89 million, and little about IP.

• IH led you and the world to believe that there was nothing this whole time. They purposely attempted to damage the LENR+ NiH movement, and those involved with it

I don't think that is right at all. They did not say there was nothing. In fact they paid thinking that there was something there and acknowledged that they did. They just did not say that the Rossi units were not ready for commercialization, either in time or in COP levels, nor characterized by transferable IP as Rossi claimed.

I do not believe IH "purposely attempted to damage LENR" as you claim. After all they still are supporting some researchers in the area. It is Rossi that has damaged the field with claims of mega watts, saying he would fully transfer his IP and his claims of large values of COP then suing the people that would have supported commercialization. He could have been much more open without giving away his claimed "secrets" and he could have be much more scientific in his actions.

You have to wonder why Penon has not come forward to openly support Rossi but remains in hiding. That speaks volumes.

• They did not say there was nothing.

They said there was nothing in the 1-year test. Earlier tests are ambiguous, as readers here know.

I think Exhibit 5 clearly says there was nothing. Or if there was something, the instruments and methods were so bad it was impossible to detect heat with any confidence.

You can seldom absolutely rule out any possibility of excess heat. Something might be lurking in the margin of error.

You sure can rule out 1 MW with Rossi's 1-year test reactor! Could there be 10 kW of excess heat? I doubt it, but there were so many problems with the equipment and methods, based on Rossi's data alone I cannot rule that out. I believe I.H. conducted additional testing that did rule this out. I do not know the details. It would not be difficult to get better results with better instruments.

• They did not say there was nothing.

In a sense you are right, but only in a narrow sense. They didn't say there was nothing at the beginning. Indeed, they acted like there was, in both public and private, based on what we all know. It wasn't until late in the game (and probably some influence by some PR folks) that they crafted a narrative that was damaging to Rossi, and all NiH researchers and replicators. They took the wind out of the movement. And they likely knew that they would based on their pronouncements. While they probably weighted the risk in doing this, they did it anyway. And from the time of their filing, they have consistently given the impression that there is nothing. Go back and read their answer and counter-complaint. It is all there. And we all know it is there. No escaping words on paper filed in a court proceeding.

What is very clear to me is that people and organizations are willing to bend the truth when it comes to a world-changing technology if it serves their purposes. What is not clear to me is whether IH has revealed their highest COP based on their replications of Rossi's reactor. The under-oath statement by their "engineer" is very protective--evasive even. I'm relatively certain that we have a smidgen of the facts at this point.

• It wasn't until late in the game (and probably some influence by some PR folks) that they crafted a narrative that was damaging to Rossi, and all NiH researchers and replicators.

No, it was early in the game. Soon after the 1-year test got started, they told me and several other people they were unhappy with the test, for some of the reasons described in Exhibit 5. They did not reveal much detail, but it was clear that Rossi was up to his old tricks. He was doing a sloppy experiment with inadequate instruments that proved nothing. They hoped he would straighten up and do it right, but alas he did not. I certainly hoped he would do the right thing. I heard nothing for months, so I thought the problems might be fixed.

You have no business disputing me, or inventing a timetable to fit you imaginary version of events. I know what I learned and when I learned it. Let me repeat, what you just said DID NOT HAPPEN. You need to stop making things up. Or, if you heard that from Rossi, you need to realize that he often lies.

• that they crafted a narrative that was damaging to Rossi, and all NiH researchers and replicators.

I view it just the opposite. They hoped that Rossi had things but it was Rossi that would not produce a good system reliable system within the time promised did not transfer the IP so it could be commercialized as he promised. It was Rossi that did nothing but things for himself and did not care what his attack on IH would do to the field caring only about money.

IH only defended itself against Rossi's attacks while he was saying that IH did not have or could not get the money, that they were the delay when it was Rossi that failed to show others how to make the systems work in NC. IH supported others and found people that were willing to invest but Rossi just poisoned the well.

IH wanted the technology to succeed and supported other people in the field while Rossi cared only for himself and sued IH even before the deadline of the payment was due. There is absolutely no valid reasoning that would indicate IH did not want to commercialize and profit from truly working device.

• As late as September 27, 2015 (seven months into the year-long test), Darden was making positive public statements about Rossi.

I would not call those "positive public statements." More like damning with faint praise. He says they spent $10 million but they are still "not certain." That sounds like a big problem to me. If I were examining a device that produces 1 MW of heat with only 20 kW of input, I would be certain that is true after an hour. That does not take $10 million and a campaign to "crush the tests." Frankly, what he described sounds like a disaster to me. I don't mean by reading between the lines. Taken at face value, knowing what Rossi was saying on his blog when this happened, you can see this was a disaster in the making. Darden was putting a brave face on it, but the facts he revealed spoke for themselves.

Rossi himself said late in the test, "we still don't know if it is working" or if it is acceptable to the customer (I.H.). Again, that's incredible nonsense. There is no chance a legitimate test of a 1 MW reactor with 20 kW input could be anything other than definitive. That's like watching a helicopter take off and go up to 10,000 feet. No one would dispute that it is flying.

Darden's other statements are reasonable, but in retrospect, they were largely incorrect:

A group of Swedish scientists tested the technology, and they got good results. A number of other people say they are also getting positive results but these haven’t been confirmed. A Russian scientist, for example claims to have replicated Rossi’s work in Switzerland and got excess heat.

• I'm not making it up. As late as September 27, 2015 (seven months into the year-long test), Darden was making positive public statements about Rossi.

In the source you just referenced , Darden says this:

But let me make one thing very clear. We don’t know for sure yet whether it [Rossi's technology] will be commercially feasible. We’ve invested more than $10 million so far in Rossi’s and other LENR technology and we’ll spend substantially more than that before we know for certain because we want to crush all the tests. (Recently, we have been joined by Woodford Investment Management in the U.K., which has made a much larger investment into our international LENR activities—so we are well funded.)

Cold fusion has such a checkered past and is so filled with hypesters and people with a gold rush, get-rich-quick mentality. We need to be calm, prudent and not exaggerate. I don’t want to say that cold fusion is real until we can absolutely prove it in ten different ways and then persuade our worst critics to join our camp.

emphasis mine.

And the date you mention actually states "Updated: Sep 27, 2015 12:00 PM EDT". We don't know when the body of this was written, but I think it is likely that the parenthetical note about Woodford may have been the update. Even what he says is reserved, and that could well have been written many months prior.

Not exactly an emphatically positive report, in my mind. But you obviously have it out for Darden, so I don't imagine this will change your opinion of Darden or other IH associates. You say 'I'm not making it up", and I believe you really believe that. But that doesn't make it so.

[Edit: didn't see Jed's response until after I posted, making this post a bit redundant]

• Reasonable minds can different on what is a positive public statement or not, but I consider these to be almost glowing statements about Rossi from Darden, taken from the interview linked to above.

Q: So you’re optimistic?

A:
    Yes, In fact, Rossi was awarded an important U.S. patent recently,
    which is part of what we licensed, covering the use of nickel, platinum
    or palladium powders, as well as other components, in his heat-producing
    device. This is one of very few LENR-related patents to date.

Q:
    So you licensed the technology of Andrea Rossi, an Italian scientist
    and entrepreneur who’s been having some success with cold fusion.

A:
    That’s right. Rossi's was one of the first investments we made. We’ve
    been seeing the creation of isotopes and energy releases at relatively
    low temperatures—1,000 degrees centigrade, which could be a sign that
    fusion has occurred. We have sponsored tests and more research for
    Rossi’s work.

So, when I state that IH crafted a different narrative late in the game, that was hostile toward Rossi and Leonardo, it has backing by the public record.

• Official Post

Fulvio - Pinball Wizard
    With apologies to The Who

Ever since he was a young boy
    He played the silver ball
    From Moscow down to Doral
    He must have played them all
    But I ain't seen nothing like him
    In any amusement hall
    That Fulvio Fabiani
    Sure plays a mean pin ball!

He stands like a statue,
    Becomes part of the machine
    Feeling all the bumpers
    Always playing clean
    He plays by intuition,
    The digit counters fall
    The fabled Fabiani
    Sure plays a mean pin ball!

• Official Post

I don't understand well what Dameron said, and meant...

Anyway if the replication COP was just above 1.3, and if it is not a stochastic null (COP=1 inside uncertainty, ie uncertainty <<0.3 ) it is scientifically interesting, but not surprising (there are some NiH positive papers).
    However if you claim you have a technology for COP>3, transfer it, and with honest efforts nobody get above 1.3, and worst of all, never reliably or durably, the license owner may feel ... fooled.

basically all that affair is wounding me.
    I took time and credibility to defend Rossi's awful CV (there is no certain evidence he is more than loose with engineering, taxes and regulations), his messy tests (there is no evidence of fraud, just of incompetence and paranoia), controlled the damage on Lugano test (which is flawed but maybe not to the point of COP=1).
    Today I feel fooled, like an attorney whose client lied to him.
    Basically what I said was not wrong when it was said, but defending plausible deniability clause for someone who later behave like said in exhibit 5 is not good for my credibility.

I would have been happy is he was right, as it would be good for him (I want him rich if he is real), and for all competitors.
    I hope I'm wrong, but I'm estimating that he have damaged the domain, and bankrupted indirectly friends.
    He have diverted money from good experimenters, and ruined LENR credibility.

How can people who support LENR revolution still support him without some caution, attacking IH without any doubt at the same time...
    It is good to have various opinion, but like those who deny LENR reality without any doubt, we should not support E-cat reality, and attack IH, without some moderation.

Even if E-cat is as said in the advertising, can you say that all the circus and pathetic setup was not a move to demotivate the investor and make im dump the license ? like "the magnificence" done/pretended against the Swedish... I don't know if there is an English word for "victory that make you vomit"... It would be so if E-cat is real. I estimate it is not so evil, but I may be wrong... Hard to predict.

Good luck to the judge and the jury.

• Official Post

He have diverted money from good experimenters, and ruined LENR credibility.

Alain, while I agree with you about the damaged credibility part 100%, I think you are not quite correct to say 'He has diverted money' - because without the publicity around the Rossi show IH may never have become interested, and without them, the funds they claim to be investing elsewhere in the field would not have been raised. The $11.5M IH spent (plus legal fees) on Rossi may still turn out to be a good investment in terms of market positioning and presence.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.