Rossi vs. Darden developments [CASE CLOSED]

• Someone here wrote that for patents do not count the truth and that any thing can be patented, even objects that can not work. This is a silly thing. Many patents on Cold Fusion were rejected precisely because the Examiner felt that the phenomenon upon which the operation of the described object was based had not been recognized by mainstream science. If IH filed that patent it is because they knew they had a worth technology and an IP that they did not want to lose.

You are wrong on several counts. In US patents the specs in a patents are not tested or ruled on by the PTO as being true or not. They do not have either the skill, expertise or resources to proof facts. They must take the information as given. The specs are to define terms and give an embodiment of the invention and show that it has some use. In this case, for example, in testing samples to see if they can produce excess. It does not say that the measurement taken are correct.

Also if you read the claims of the patents in question, you will find that the one filed by IH on behalf of Rossi, et al did not claim excess heat or power. The claims only covered a vessel for placing an active sample. The granting of the patent does not imply that the heat discussed in the patent was as reported. Much like getting a driver's license does not imply that you own an operating car.

Granting the patent in question only says that the items claimed are useful in some why (such as testing a sample). It did not claim excess heat so the PTO made no ruling on excess heat in any way.

• Yeah, I forgot about the counterclaim. IH are arguing that their inability to get the thing to work suggests that Rossi didn't turn over all the IP. There are enough alternate explanations (incompetence, failure to exactly match, the entire Rossi device is a rainbow-fart powered fantasy, etc) that it's a stretch to say that it proves that Rossi didn't turn over everything, but it's relevant to that.

Maybe not just the counter-claim. If Rossi did not turn over IP then he was not compliant with the contractual terms before the GPT or GPT payment. Which, I have a vague idea but you no doubt will be clearer, if true would void any subsequent contractual duties of IH, like teh $89M payment.

• You are wrong on several counts. In US patents the specs in a patents are not tested or ruled on by the PTO as being true or not.

I believe there are exceptions such as refusing inventions claiming perpetual motion, and from what I read, refusing inventions of cold fusion as a result of a letter to the Patent Office from DOE.

It is not clear if the lattter restriction has been eased recently.

It has been said patents are worthless until they have been tested in court.

• #326 (Casserini deposition) seems as if it is interesting, on a brief preview. I'd like to read it but damn, it's long! Casserini and the other participants in Ampenergo (shitty name, BTW) , in my opinion, have either been monumentally incompetent or they have been in cahoots with Rossi all along to fool investors. I suppose they could tell us which it is but they won't. If there is some other possible exp[lanation, I am sure someone will point it out.

I am struck by the brief and confusing mention of "thermoelectrics" (starting page 22, you can search for the word). To me, it seems as if Casserini also conspired with Rossi (or again, maybe he was too inept to know better) to fool DOD/CERL into their disastrous contract with Rossi for the thermoelectric junk and garbage he delivered them and for which he received $2 million and DOD spent considerably more than that to build a test facility for the high efficiency converter devices that were never delivered.

This is indeed an interesting document. I will look more when I can.

BTW, anyone know when the actual trial starts if that is known? (thanks) It's difficult to keep up with all this stuff without spending on it far more time than it is worth.

ETA 6/29/17 1041PDT Never mind. On Abd's site, he's covering it. Apparently, according to Abd, the trial started yesterday with jury selection and when the projected length of the trial (5 weeks) waas announced, so many jurors had to be excluded that the judge declared a mistrial. Is this possible? I dunno. It's what the Abd-ominable Snowjob says (Lomax does look sort of like a Yetti in his photo doesn't he?): http://coldfusioncommunity.net/

• @MY,

From ABD:

"The Rule is cited and the Rule includes such reasons as client attempting fraud, but the Rule's reasons include obvious simple reasons, if the attorney is "discharged" they must withdraw unless the court prohibits it, and an attorney may withdraw on own initiative with no reason -- if it will not cause harm to the client. In this case, court documents were being filed by Annesser & Chaiken already, and PBY&A noted that those attorneys had left their employ and that the client (Rossi etc) followed them. They were discharged, and this is neither positive nor negative. We may speculate about things that the lawyers will never reveal. The request to withdraw seemed ordinary to me and I was wondering when we would see it."

• Yes but I have no idea what, if anything, that means beyond that Rossi has fewer attorneys now. Do you? OK, I re-read it and I get from it now that the reasons will not be known... but they are gone... so maybe they didn't like the case much! Maybe Rossi's attorneys left the firm because the firm wanted nothing to do with Rossi and his smelly case? Guess we will never know.

• Because assessing the weight, meaning, or truthfulness of contested evidence isn't done at summary judgment.

Basically, Rossi submitted the Penon report as evidence that certain contractual conditions were met. IH has produced other evidence which (they argue) suggests that the Penon report was either extremely flawed or entirely fabricated, and that the contractual conditions were therefore not met. All the judge can do at summary judgment is decide if: (a) the results stated in the Penon report are material facts in this case (they are, because they determine if contractual conditions at issue in the case were met); (b) the Penon report is evidence supporting those facts (it is, because the evidence has to be taken at face value at the summary judgment stage); and (c) if the IH evidence, taken at face value, suggests that the Penon report is erroneous or fraudulent (it does).

At that point, it's clear that the results stated in the Penon report are disputed material facts. Disputed material facts don't (normally) get dealt with at summary judgment because it's not the role of the judge to decide what the facts actually are. That's the job of the jury; that issue must go to trial.

Then the Penon report is not irrefutable proof of fraud, as claimed. It is refutable, it is not proof but rather is evidence, and it might even weigh in towards Rossi prevailing in court.

• The heat exchanger was dismantled at the end of the test: it is not invisible,

Photographs taken during the test show no pipes going to the mezzanine, and nothing in the mezzanine window except glass. As Smith described, photos taken of the mezzanine after the exchanger was reportedly dismantled show that no such equipment was or could have been installed in that room. There would be wires and marks left. No one can remove every trace of such heavy equipment.

• Photographs taken during the test show no pipes going to the mezzanine,

The photo was cut off so that you can't see the bottom part of the doorway. The pipes, according to Rossi, entered the mezzanine at the bottom portion of the doorway. Even IH's attorney during the deposition lamented that the photos available didn't show the whole doorway.

and nothing in the mezzanine window except glass.

Except for the panes where there isn't glass.

As Smith described, photos taken of the mezzanine after the exchanger was reportedly dismantled show that no such equipment was or could have been installed in that room. There would be wires and marks left. No one can remove every trace of such heavy equipment.

There were marks on the floor. In fact, they even correspond to what appears to be a large box of some kind once resting on the floor. There are lots of other marks all over the place. There are clean elongated areas on the floor near the door where pipes apparently would have been.

• In his interpretation of his experimental results, Holmlid goes further than nuclear reactions in explaining the source of the energy generated in the reactions that Holmlid sees. This energy yield is greater than what can be explained from nuclear reactions such as fusion and fission. The binding energy that holds nuclei together is too weak to account for the power seen in the reactions produced in the reaction energies that Holmlid detects. These reactions that propel subatomic particles and atomic fragments to nearly the speed of light must come from the binding energy that bind subatomic particles together, the binding energy that is fundamental to maintaining the particles themselves.

Holmlid:

"Further, similar particle velocities are obtained also from the laser-induced processes in p(0) as seen in Figs 4, 6 and 7 etc, where no ordinary fusion process can take place. Thus, it is apparent that the particle energy observed is derived from other nuclear processes than ordinary fusion."

• Rossi sued IH. As plaintiff, he has the burden of proof by a preponderance of evidence. Where are his pictures or even purchase receipts? Why was the exchanger only mentioned after an unfavorable heat dissipation analysis? Why has no person except Rossi seen this exchanger?

More fundamentally, if the heat was to be used by the fake company, why did they need a heat dissipation device?

• WMartin and @WW,

There is no evidence available so far that no person other than Rossi saw the heat exchanger. From what we have available so far in the deposition record, it appears that nobody other than Rossi was even asked the question. I suppose this issue will be fleshed out during trial.

You need to dissipate heat, because 1MW is a lot of heat. Some would be dissipated by convection through the ceiling and into the cement walls of the warehouse. Most would be carried in the form of steam to a heat exchanger, and dissipated as heated air out of the warehouse, presumably out the window (although this is sharply disputed by some). Some might have been used in a chemical process taking place within the serpentine pipes shown in JMP's black box.

• More fundamentally, if the heat was to be used by the fake company, why did they need a heat dissipation device?

You need a heat dissipation device whether it is used or not. Otherwise the room would be so hot it would kill the occupants. It would be a giant oven.

Heat is never "used" by anyone, except in minute amounts. Most of it ends up as waste heat. For example, in a bakery, a very small fraction of the heat converts to chemical storage in baked bread, which has slightly more potential energy than the raw materials. The rest goes out the vents into the atmosphere. Then it radiates out into space and the cosmos, increasing entropy.

• More fundamentally, if the heat was to be used by the fake company, why did they need a heat dissipation device

Because there are no industrial processes that could use that much heat without large shipments of goods (or water) in and out of the property. - Hence, the heat produced would dissipate into the downstairs working area, leading to dangerous temperatures. Some IH expert witness (correctly) proved how much temperatures would rise (but then 'misplaced' his calculations*) - Which lead to the 'need' for the upstairs heat exchanger.

* Or didn't fancy answering questions on the finer points of CFD/FEA modelling in public...

• Official Post

Q: (by Annesser): Mr.Darden you are claiming that your technicians at Industrial Heat and additional the technician at Boeing where unable to replicate the so called 'Rossi-Effect' and so your conclusion is that the E-Cat device never worked and never produced excess heat , is this correct?

A:(by Darden): Yes, this is correct!

Q: (by Annesser): Is it also correct, that the functionality of the E-Cat is dependent on the proper mixture and consistence of the fuel that is necessary for the low energy nuclear reaction.

A:(by Darden): Yes!

Q: (by Annesser): And who provided the fuel for the tests of the Industrial Heat personal and the test at Boeing?

A:(by Darden): That was me!

Q: (by Annesser):And did you use the original fuel, that was used for the Lugano test, or other previous test of the E-Cat that reported excess heat?

A:(by Darden): No, I have used a modified version of the fuel.

Q: (by Annesser): And was this fuel approved by Andrea Rossi?

A:(by Darden): No.

Q: (by Annesser):So you yourself provided your own technicians and those at Boeing with fuel that has a different formula than the original E-Cat fuel used by Rossi.

A:(by Darden): Yes.

Q: (by Annesser) Can you explain to the jury, how you can conclude that the E-Cat device is not working and part of a fraud, if you have used your own unapproved fuel, I can not!

That's fun ;)

• You need a heat dissipation device whether it is used or not. Otherwise the room would be so hot it would kill the occupants. It would be a giant oven.

Heat is never "used" by anyone, except in minute amounts. Most of it ends up as waste heat. For example, in a bakery, a very small fraction of the heat converts to chemical storage in baked bread, which has slightly more potential energy than the raw materials. The rest goes out the vents into the atmosphere. Then it radiates out into space and the cosmos, increasing entropy.

Thanks, this is why I should avoid scientific questions/comments.

• You need a heat dissipation device whether it is used or not. Otherwise the room would be so hot it would kill the occupants. It would be a giant oven.

So, the point made by Murray and Smith was: Since there was no heat dissipation device, there could not have been 1 MW of heat. Rossi admitted they were right when he came up with the lie about the invisible heat exchanger. I suppose that fact alone should torpedo the trial. I recall it was the gist of one of the motions to dismiss. In other words, it is an uncontested fact that without an exchanger Rossi's claims are wrong.

Apparently the judge did not dismiss the claim on that basis. I do not know why because I did not read the ruling and I cannot understand legal jargon.

I hope the Jury understands this issue.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.