Stanford Energy Club: Nuclear Community Kickoff: Developments in Lattice Energy Reactions

• I don't think most think me356 was lying--just sadly wrong. I think that he, like Parkhomov, is very skilled and innovative in many respects, just not careful or skeptical enough to make sure all artifacts were eliminated.

I make no assumptions about me356 at this point. The only thing I know is that his claims were strong ones, and that all we had were his assurances about this or that. He could have been a sincere garage researcher who stumbled onto something, or he could have been a highschool student playing a prank. Well-meaning participants in this and other forums are willing to take someone's word for something without further substantiation.

• There's yet another possibility: he was sincere in thinking he had something, but he was failing to control for important categories of error. It's hard for one person to think through all of the possibilities on his own, so it's important to have other knowledgeable people look over the experiment, even if the person making the claim is 100 percent sincere and somewhat confident in his results. Nullius in verba, as the motto of the Royal Society goes.

• I was the one who asked the question regarding Bob's knowledge on whether Me356 was a real person or not. Bob followed up on that comment and stated that he (Bob) "had slept on his floor". That exchange and Bob's response appears to be intact in this video around 1:17.45.

Thanks to Carl, Frank, Fran, Alan, Bob and the Stanford Energy Club for this gathering. There were some interesting folks in attendance and fortunately, real progress continues for this field. Thank you Bob for recording and posting this as well.

• I've attempted a transcription of the me356 segment (starting from hour 1:16:00 in the video) but unfortunately the audio is bad and left me unable to understand a few words. Hopefully others can fill the gaps. This being said, I'm not getting the impression that me356 is "a thing of the past" here, or at least for the MFMP team. I don't think me356 ever discussed purchasing a SEM (scanning electron microscope) on LENR-Forum.

Bob Greenyer

Me356 is "somewhere" in Eastern Europe. He's a self-funded scientist. He's an incredible guy, a really incredible guy [emphasis]. He claims repeatable significant excess heat. He's preparing for 3rd party scrutiny, and we've been given ..... to go ... and observe it. His major breakthrough really came when he purchased an SEM recently. ... He has a russian approach to science, which is: “try: it works... try: it works, uh! Try: oh, doesn't work!”. He's doing research, research, research, experiment, experiment, experiment, while he's running (?) his companies. He could see which experiments produce a little bit of power, which didn't, and then he had all these samples, he got his SEM - it costs 50000 euros or whatever - he gets his SEM and he goes “oh that explains why that works! This one works, this one works, oh it didn't work...”

You know, so he's ..... looking tools doing something similar with our work, because we need to understand what's going on at the structural level. [Refers to person on the other side] And I think probably you have a wonderful opportunity here if you can get the bright people involved - I didn't try (?) University to be frank [laughs] - but you need to get... we need to help you get out of this mental barrier people have with the science “nothing worth investigating”. If you can show remediation of Cs137 very very quickly, if you can show transmutation of elements very very quickly, then I don't think you have any problem getting access to the facilities that you've got here (?).

- Bob, can you confirm that he's a real person?

I can confirm that he's a real person [nods]!

- Have you met him or spoke him to the phone?

I've slept on his floor and ran experiments with him; he actually ran ... [*video breaks*] 450 (?) Palazzio ... just around the corner from the center where ICCF19 was held. We ran that for a few weeks or stuff like that, and he ran it for a couple whatever ... a week and a half, two weeks.

...So yes, these are really SEMs from his real experiments. So [points to presentation slide] this is nickel and this is probably a combination of aluminium and lithium and so on.

This is some more... he says his kind (?) of reactor produces these interesting structures where you get these nanowires forming out of... he says this is the lithium, but I think it's probably the aluminium, he hasn't the EDX attachment to his SEM, but he's saying that the wires ... (?) as the reaction goes on.

• I think the part on BEC is a confirmation of a speculation that I have had about the electrical input power measurement. I have said before that I think Tanzella has trusted BEC's input power measurement because Godes is an electrical engineer. It is an understandable (but quite possibly mistaken) assumption that the input power is being measured correctly. Need to measure this in multiple ways (e.g., at the wall and before it is made into Q pulses).

Tanzella says at 18:14, "They have a lot of good electrical engineers who designed this. And you can actually calculate the amount of power they are putting into the nickel core."

or he could have been a highschool student playing a prank

His (Me356's) reactors were rather elaborate (including various experimental details) for playing prank - and his announcement of corona activated fusion did come in the same time, like the Quark-X announcement of Andrea Rossi. An interesting coincidence BTW - given the fact, that Ni-H system is researched for twenty years. It brings the question, if Me356 had no connection to someone of circles around Rossi - or someone else, who inspired Rossi.

• Here are just a few posts by me356 I had saved on my computer. There were many more interesting ones. These are not specifically the ones in reference to Zephir's questions. I would highly recommend someone do a search, find the threads on this forum where me356 posted, and review EVERYTHING he said. His statements and suggestions are scattered about the forum, but they are worth reading! If someone is willing to do this, they would very quickly learn that he claims to have produced significant excess heat (he claims around a COP of 2 to 3) with nickel wire and hydrogen, greater potential excess heat when adding a tiny bit of elemental lithium to a nickel-hydrogen reactor, that using lithium may allow COPs of 10-50, the complications of using LiAlH4 (the aluminum throttles back the reaction), how there seem to be emissions of some type of particles that can impact the lithium even when it is not in direct contact with the nickel that produces a brilliant light, and of course how later on he built more EXOTIC systems (glow discharge and corona stuff) that were actually so powerful they freaked him out.

Basically, he gave a ton of information. I have already read through everyone one of his posts on this forum at least twice (a few months ago), but I don't know if I feel like sorting through all of them to provide exact references and links. The information is there. What I say about me356 isn't made up. Every time I mention what he said, I'm HARASSED by claims that me356 only had success with glow discharge. Now, me356 may have had stability problems with lithium due to its corrosive nature, but he claimed amazing results with basic nickel powder, hydrogen, and lithium systems.

For the record, all we have are his claims. They do need to be verified. I'm just reporting on what he told us.

• -----

https://www.lenr-forum.com/for…n/?postID=16705#post16705

I will try to share everything that is possible. I am very busy with my work and with the research.

To achieve excess heat even with lower temperatures it is important to keep pressure as low as possible (less than 1 milibar of hydrogen) with no impurities, Clean nickel and chamber as much as possible with hydrogen and vacuum pump even at high temperatures before triggering the reaction. Boiling point of lithium must be achieved to start Cat. Remember that boiling point is function of the pressure.

LiAlH4 is not necessary (only pure Li is fine), but it will rather make reaction more stable (not that agressive) because of Al.

Remember that the reaction can go out of control in just 1 second, temperature can increase by hundreds °C suddenly.

https://www.lenr-forum.com/for…1/?postID=16837#post16837

Thank you.

I am working at least on a three very different reactors while one is ready for production. I have verified it many times and it works for half year.

Because of latest findings I believe that COP of 7+ can be achieved with a new design that utilizes plasma.

This design is even not patented and probably can't be.

I want to not use lithium since it is very problematic and its usage throws many problems and instabilities. But it is easy way to get high COP, easy from the beginning. Hard to maintain for longterm.

https://www.lenr-forum.com/for…1/?postID=18318#post18318

Some news!

Reactor A melted, excess heat was present, fuel chamber boiled, hydrogen catched fire. Fail..

Reactor B (utilizing plasma) is made mainly from quartz tube. So the plasma is visible and it is glowing very nicely. This is not a replication, but very different kind of reactor.

This reactor was not loaded with any Lithium, only trace of Nickel and mainly Tungsten.

After tuning ionization parameters I have found something interesting. Abnormal temperature spikes occured from time to time. So I have tried to set optimal conditions. After a while of fine-tuning, temperature shooted so high that COP 2 was achieved. It was rather coincidence that I have proceeded in this way..

Because temperature increased so high (just in 1 second) I have immediately turned off the stimulation as I was afraid. I am sure that the COP would increase to at least 4.

I have verified detectors, everything was in normal level.

When turned off, temperature dropped immediately, but not completely and excess heat was still present (with logarithmic declination) for at least 10 minutes until returned to its original level (no excess heat).

Before I have started with tuning, I have found that there was high energetic neutron burst. So my focus stayed on the detector all the time and fortunately I was unable to detect anything more.

Excess heat was triggered at 350°C.

Power level during the test was constant. Reactor glowed enormously (purple to white color). Plasma was in 3/4 of the fuel chamber, even where anode/kathode was not present which was quite interesting.

Really satisfied! This experiment is probably moving the research to another level as the development and production can be simplified significantly.

For today I have turned everything off - I have to check what happened.

https://www.lenr-forum.com/for…1/?postID=18355#post18355

I believe that all LENR reactors are working with the same or very similar principles.

Only ways how to achieve it are different, because there are many options how to do so.

From my point of view, theory of operation is very simple. For example I really don't think that black holes are involved there. Only a special conditions must be met. Once you know what you want to achieve, you can get excess heat anytime with many reactor types.

If you dont know, you can try years without a single result. If you know, it will look so bizarre you will not believe it can work.

I am controlling H1 production directly which in case of E-Cat is very hard. If I am right, it is possible to "set" COP where one wish to be.

As I have promised, I will share all my results. Please be patient.

Do not waste time with Parkhomov replications, it might work, but only in a very special cases.

Yes, I know exactly results of 183W + p.

• https://www.lenr-forum.com/for…n/?postID=17337#post17337

Today I was able to get excess heat again with COP near 2, then reactor failed due to a bad sealing that started to melt. Reactor was much bigger than previous time thus produced energy was in range of 1kW.

This time I was able to trigger excess heat from 350°C external, then temperature increased to ~700°C external just in 4 seconds. Internal temperature was higher.

What is very interesting that I have verified that lithium can be placed nearly anywhere in the fuel chamber (not in contact with nickel) and still it is working and affects whole fuel batch.

This is what I have observed more times.

What is also interesting that excess heat was not coming from part of the reactor that was hottest previously. Rather areas that were more clean from oxides were glowing significantly more.

In simple words - few areas of the fuel were hotter (100°C difference) than area that logically should be more hot due to joule heating hot spot.

So the excess heat was not dispersed uniformly along the fuel.

Today I think that sort of SSM was achieved, altough lasting just a few seconds. During this period power was zero yet temperature was rather constant - then suddenly decreased because of reactor failure.

I was testing also a new radiation detector Si-14B and I must admit that beta radiation was elevated by 2-3 times. Development was rather not dependent on the excess heat production, but I have to investigate it more.

https://www.lenr-forum.com/for…2/?postID=18672#post18672

hendersonmj: thank you for your summary!

My update: I have tested plasma based reactor for longer period of time.. Results are clear.

Unfortunately the power that is under the lid is so strong I will probably not continue in this area.

Reactor is emmiting neutrons a few days after the test!

With lithium COP might be exceptionally higher. Very rough estimate is COP of 10-50.

But I am not skilled enough to be absolutely sure about safety which is reason why I will continue with reactors that are more safe.

Emmissions (RF, electrons and UV) during the test were so strong that my control circuit was absolutely crazy even that it was 3 meters away - it is unusable.

Now I am playing with dangerous things that are clearly working.

I am afraid, but LENR is not safe as it looked initially. You can make a nuclear reactor with all the things you really don't want.

Fortunately it can't get out of control so easily. If power output is limited, you are safe.

But there will be probably always some kind of potentionally harmfull radiation. Fuel and fuel chamber must be very clean from impurities to not get unwanted products.

Now I understand perfectly why Rossi is working on the e-cat so long. You have something that is working, you have a prototypes and you are nearly ready for mass production. Then you will find something amazing, that can increase the excess heat significantly so that previous work is not important anymore. But there are again many difficulties and unknown things that it can take a few years to get a fully working prototype based on the new discoveries, but it is surely worth. You can continue endlessly, because LENR is opening doors of something completely unknown and much more. not just energy conversion. It is possible that in 10 years, everything will be completely different.

https://www.lenr-forum.com/for…2/?postID=19033#post19033

I am highly disgusted by some comments, although it was expected.

The only thing I would like to say is that Nickel - Hydrogen reaction (even without lithium) can yield inconsiderable amount of neutrons. From thermal to high energetic.

I can create this on demand and it is little bit worrisome.

If you are targetting for reaching a decent COP, be prepared for this.

To be more precise, you can receive 10mSv in a few minutes.

It is not fun anymore... Take it seriously.

To all replicators: Do not perform your experiments anywhere near your house

https://www.lenr-forum.com/for…2/?postID=19048#post19048

No, this is not true. Higher neutron flux can be achieved even with Parkhomov-like reactor and with pressures under 3 Bars.

You do not need any acceleration e.g. by high voltage.

But I am sure that it is possible to make it perfectly safe. On the other hand it is great indicator that the mouse process is working properly.

I am absolutely sure about the neutron measurement. I am using a few bubble detectors that were carefully calibrated and certified and also electronic neutron detector with HDPE moderator. I am also using a paraffin moderator for triple-verification. These neutron detectors are not affected by gamma and all are giving clear results without any doubts.

The most problematic part is, when the excess heat is triggered.

I do not intend to scary anybody, but it is really not necessary to be a testing rat. Mostly all replicators do not use any radiation detectors and if so, they are insensitive for important energy ranges.

If you do not believe, it is really not my problem.

I want to make LENR available for all more than others. But you have to know, that it is not a toy, to be prepared and to not make mistakes that others already did.

https://www.lenr-forum.com/for…2/?postID=19339#post19339

axil: I think that there must be a direct channel. Diameter might be probably very small if we can change direction of the products (e,g, by magnetic field).

I believe that it can pass a certain materials. Mica window could work. But without verifying we can just guess.

But from my experiments, it looks like it is not that easy. Lithium is also affecting the transition metal (Nickel) and at least from what I have saw, the heat is not comming just from lithium itself, but also from the nickel.

Next interesting thing is how lithium is behaving in the reactor if it is in a bulk form (in some cases). When it is inside nickel (covered from each side) it does not react chemically with nickel nearly at all. At least if nickel is prepared well.

It is looking as if it is levitating inside and after excess heat it looks like a dried-fruit. So only peripheral surface will stay there (probably contamimants). Even alumina tube is not touched by lithium at all which is very good.

No traces of vaporized lithium are found (at least optically) which mean the reaction was complete and extremely fast.

https://www.lenr-forum.com/for…2/?postID=19522#post19522

Hank Mills: there are usually at least two problems. One which nearly nobody is doing, but is done by a successfull replicators (if done, chances of getting excess heat is probably 90% higher) and second that all unsuccessfull replicators are unaware. Second one is not mentioned in any replication report and even not all successfull replicators might be aware of this.

But you can still find at least a hint in one report.

This mean, that everything you will need was already told in the reports. No one is replicating exactly. But doing so is really hard.

Every time I mention what he said, I'm HARASSED by claims that me356 only had success with glow discharge

versus

Reactor is emmiting neutrons a few days after the test! With lithium COP might be exceptionally higher. Very rough estimate is COP of 10-50. But I am not skilled enough to be absolutely sure about safety which is reason why I will continue with reactors that are more safe.

Thank you for Me356 quotes, but you just (unvillingly?) did prove my point - before Me356 did use discharge, his COP were around 2 (which as we all know from Lugano test is in margin of error of bolometric calorimetry). Once he started to use discharge, his COP jumped by one-two orders - but he also got some neutrons. Apparently neutron (or muon?) activation did happen there, so that the reactor did remain radioactive for week.

From the same reason I'd also recommend the usage of discharge for everyone, who is thinking about fast practical progress in LENR, because this kind of activation is kinda overshot (comparable to overheating of reactor), but at least it's the one, which really works, so you will get the starting point for further modification of experimental routine.

• No, I did not prove your point at all.

Like I said, those were a tiny fraction of his posts. There are many more you need to read.

Have you taken the opportunity to go through ALL of his posts and read EVERY single one of them?

I have. Twice.

If you would read his posts, the truth is that he produced WITHOUT glow discharge a COP of 2 to 3 with just nickel and hydrogen, WITHOUT glow discharge a much higher COP is available with LITHIUM of between ten and fifty, and with glow discharge (even without lithium) he was able to get very high COPs.

The fact is he proved that WITH LITHIUM you can get very high COPs WITHOUT any sort of glow discharge.

Are you willing to go and read his posts or are you going to keep twisting the truth?

I think it doesn't matter what you read, you're going to twist the truth to suit your idea that glow discharge is the only way to high excess heat.

WITHOUT glow discharge a much higher COP is available with LITHIUM of between ten and fifty

You're citing this post of Me356 after then - and this post clearly reports about plasma experiments already.
    If you think, you could prove your point with another post of Me356 please just submit the link in the same way, like I just did.

xij0Xbl.gif

• Do your own homework! I've already read through every post he's made on this forum. You won't, because it will conflict with your mantra that the only way to significant excess heat is through your slutty little whore glow discharge.

Those were just a very few posts from hundreds he made. If you would read them, you would see he specified that adding lithium to a non-glow discharge reactor with just nickel powder/wire and hydrogen boosted the production of heat. He mentioned that even having a TRACE of lithium in such a reactor would boost excess heat. Let me break it down for you.

1) Get the nickel-hydrogen reaction going. This causes some sort of emission of seemingly neutral particles, but he couldn't exactly identify them. In addition, he detected neutrons coming from ALL his reactors (glow discharge the most).

2) Add lithium. The emitted particles would interact with the lithium and produce a massive burst of excess heat. He even recorded runaways with ordinary non-glow discharge systems.

3) Then he tested glow discharge systems with nickel powder and other elements. He detected lots of neutrons and a lot of excess heat.

For the record, I'm not disputing that glow discharge can produce lots of excess heat. I'm only saying that there is nothing special about it, and excess heat can be achieved by other means.

Basically, if you have a glow discharge cell with hydrogen, H2 is being broken down into atomic hydrogen and slammed into the nickel. Since atomic hydrogen naturally is absorbed rapidly into nickel (regardless how you make it) the nickel is hydrogenated to a high extent and the reaction sites (defects/voids/dislocations/cavities) are being created and filled with exotic hydrogen species.

Now, glow discharge is one way of doing this. However, if you can maximize hydrogen absorption by other methods, there is no need for glow discharge. It is an unnecessary complication. Andrea Rossi used reverse spillover catalysts to produce atomic hydrogen and highly hydrogenate his fuel. By utilizing techniques such as ultrasound irradiation, the oxide layer can be removed from the nickel, the surface is microscopically roughened on the nano-scale, and it become much more catalytic -- approaching that of palladium or platinum. If you think this is all more lies, do a google search for "ultrasound" and suslick" and "nickel" and you will find hundreds of papers.

Basically, the degree of excess heat is all about creating various concentrations of reaction sites with exotic hydrogen species. This can be done without glow discharge. Then, when adding lithium, the heat is increased further. This can be done without glow discharge.

My point is that Rossi produced massive excess heat without glow discharge, replicators such as Songsheng produced massive excess heat (self sustain) without glow discharge, and Me356 produced massive excess heat without glow discharge (although when using lithium the excess heat was unstable because the lithium can eat right through the reactor).

Glow discharge might do it faster. But I'm only interested in verifying the basic powder based Rossi Effect.

• @MrSelfSustain,

Hi, I am interested in some of the things you have said. May I ask a few questions? I notice that sometimes you feel antagonized by some of the responses here. Mine are not intended as that, but just to get more information. First thanks for your work on ME356 it has lead to others e.g. Bob G. confirming that he is a real person. As you may know I am quite skeptical of Rossi's Lugano claims after the T.C. report available on the http://lenr-canr.org/ library. While I find that while ME356 is real and has done real experiments he may not be correct in his calorimetry. Thanks for your diligence regarding ME356. So my questions and my motivation is simple, to discover if NiH CF works. So who do you personally believe has achieved NiH fusion and why? (Note after MFMP's failures to reproduce I am skeptical here) So any references to peer reviewed papers would be great. Any regarding an earlier comment based on Mike Fid, have you heard of Moray King? (this is in regards to sonofusion) . Thanks Rigel

• Hello Rigel,

Lately, the number one source of my frustration is Ziphir. Me356 made a ton of posts on several different threads, and it is easy to pick one or two and twist them out of context. Anyone who studies his posts and comments, in sequence as to how he made them, will be able to understand what he shared with us. Basically, me356 first performed some early experiments with nickel, hydrogen, and sometimes LiAlH4. My understanding is that he only obtained a COP of around 1.2-3. Then he took a long break (maybe a little less than a year) before returning. He then announced he was getting far better performance with just nickel and hydrogen of around 2-3 with nickel wire. He told us that he went back to the early papers of Focardi, studied them, and tried to optimize his fuel prep methods. By doing so, he was able to go from very little excess heat to a significant amount. Then he went further and told us about tests (no glow discharge yet) in which he had used nickel and a hydrogen source with small samples of lithium (or in some cases LiAlH4). He went on to say that using lithium boosts the COP and the aluminum in LiAlH4 only serves to throttle the reaction and keep it more stable at high temperatures. Then he started with his more sophisticated systems such as glow discharge.

First of all, I'm convinced that Focardi and Piantelli saw real effects in their early systems. They did many tests and were able to predict the excess heat that would be produced depending upon the level of hydrogen absorption. My opinion is that Piantelli was so cautious of a scientist (not an engineer) that he took very little risk in trying to scale up his effects. For example, in a couple of their papers, they were able to produce a COP of 2-3 with just nickel and hydrogen. Please notice that this was just with bulk nickel wire/rod/sheet/foil and not powder to increase the surface area. If he had not been so paranoid about safety, I believe Piantelli could have taken his technology to the next level. Instead, he focused more on precise details of the theory instead of making actual working devices.

Secondly, I'm convinced that Rossi has shown demos that did produce excess heat. I won't go into all of them, but two that instantly come to mind is the test conducted by Dr. Levi in Bologna that produced a self sustaining reaction for about 18 hours. In this experiment the power consumed was approximately the same as that consumed by the control box (around a hundred watts), but the output was around 15kW and at one point spiked up to 130kW. Dr. Levi called Rossi and asked him what to do. Rossi urged him to vent some of the hydrogen because the system was in runaway which could be dangerous. Dr. Levi obeyed and the output went back down to around 15kW. In addition, I take "Cures" posts on the Cobraf forum very seriously. He helped Rossi test maybe a hundred "hot cat" reactors, starting with the very first that used a hydrogen tank. Cures witnessed them "melting down" over and over again. He said they worked with straight DC, pulsed DC, AC, and more advanced waveforms. I don't think Cures was part of some conspiracy with Rossi. In fact, he claimed to have never signed an NDA with Rossi, and that was the reason why Rossi's associates made him leave and stop volunteering.

Thirdly, I'm convinced that there have been valid replications. I won't argue or debate these issues. I think Songsheng's experiment was real, Parkhomov's original tests were real, the tests of Russian teams were real, and others I have heard about. Some of these I must keep confidential.

If I thought longer I could come up with even more examples. Basically, I think that there may be multiple LENR "processes" taking place with metals and hydrogen. However, I think one of the primary mechanisms (the one I'm focusing on) is the creation of reaction sites in the nickel and the filling of these reaction sites with hydrogen. This process can probably take place in many different metals: palladium, copper, aluminum, nickel, etc.

If you read George Miley's patent (THAT IS NO LONGER GEORGE MILEY'S PATENT BECAUSE INDUSTRIAL HEAT BOUGHT HIM OUT) you will see that he proposes how to create these tiny nano-scale defects (dislocations, cavities, voids) in samples of virtually any metal. I'm convinced IH knows that this is possible and have probably done countless tests to confirm this. I don't have any proof whatsoever, but if I was "serious" about LENR (regardless of my goals) I would have a lab somewhere testing the heck out of Rossi's IP and the methods described in Miley's patent. Of course since IH won't describe any of their current research, it's possible they may not be performing much at all.

In my opinion, the number one issue with Ni-H is that nickel is incredibly difficult to hydrogenate. Unless you take drastic measures, you will produce very few reaction sties and your COP will be near unity. I personally think Rossi bypasses this by pre-hydrogenating his fuel (probably at a temperature low enough to avoid sintering) with reverse spillover catalysts. There are many ways to enhance hydrogenation. A super fast and quick method could be just having a glow discharge reactor that slams nickel powder on one electrode with hydrogen ions. However, my conclusion is that very high COP can be obtained with just nickel and hydrogen if you can produce enough reaction sites filled with hydrogen. Most replicators do very little to maximize hydrogenation.

Do your own homework!

But I did my homework - I just did show for you, that the COP in range 10 - 50 (which you improperly attributed to heat-activated experiment) already belongs into final plasma discharge experiments of Me356. The proving opposite stance is not job for me - but for you. Maybe Me356 had some unsuccessful experiments before it, which ended with thermal runaways (which you still haven't linked) - but such an outcome is just another point for me: it illustrates, that until we use no better stimulation of LENR than the heat, then the nickel fusion with LiAlH4 is inherently unstable: even if the fusion will finally start, it will rather destroy the reactor due to accumulated excess of hydrogen in lattice. Note that Piantelli and Defkalion did the magnetic and AC stimulation from the very beginning and they probably had much better catalyst (nickel whiskers with high density of stable dislocations). Without these stimuli the amateur replications cannot catch up.

I'm convinced that Rossi has shown demos that did produce excess heat. I won't go into all of them, but two that instantly come to mind is the test conducted by Dr. Levi in Bologna that produced a self sustaining reaction for about 18 hours.

This is my opinion too.

my conclusion is that very high COP can be obtained with just nickel and hydrogen if you can produce enough reaction sites filled with hydrogen. Most replicators do very little to maximize hydrogenation

Theoretically yes, but practically the reaction is unstable, because of positive feedback of thermal stimulation. This applies the more, the less density of active sites the catalyst has, which applies to all amateur replications with off-the-shelf nickel samples - because such a samples require higher oversaturation of hydrogen.

• If you do your reading and look at his posts, you will find how he details experiments with lithium but without plasma discharge that far exceeded just nickel and hydrogen.

In short.

Ni-H < Ni-H-Li < Various plasma discharge experiments.

You need to go through his threads and read. That was a single post out of many. He was able to boost the output of Ni-H with lithium without using plasma discharge. He went into some detail answering questions about the complexities of using LiAlH4, as an example, compared to elemental Li. With LiAlH4, there are many complexities to consider such as the formation and decomposition of LiH during thermal cycling.

I do agree with you that in *some* systems there is no better stimulation than varying heat and/or pressure to "shock" the exotic hydrogen species in the cavities. My thinking is that in his earliest systems which probably included palladium mixed in with the fuel, the level of hydrogenation was very high and there was a high level of NAE's that were created. This is why his earliest systems were reported to self sustain for hours at a time -- with zero input - until another thermal shock was required.

I think in situations in which the number of NAE are reduced, you can probably get more from each of them by utilizing various stimulation methods.

• @MrSelfSustain,

Thank you for your detailed response. As you say "I won't argue or debate these issues." I can respect that. I also like the way you manage expectations of your submitted threads. This is key and somehow after all these years we have lost that civility. I would like a response to the "do you know of Moray King?" as he is a kindred soul on sonofusion. I am sure that you are aware of RWG (Russ Gries). So would value your opinion regarding his CF experiments or his replication of Papp. And if you have read the T.C. rebuttal to the Lugano report?

While I am really just interested in finding your opinion, I am trying to find reference urls on peer reviewed or replicated NiH CF. I know of these well ALL of tests you referenced. I also at one time had a belief in dogbone type nickel reactors, but do not hold it any longer. I also followed ME356 but at some point I became unconvinced of NiH so am seeking any multiple reactions based on the more or less exact same setups with definitive COP above noise levels. If it helps I believe the work of LENR advocates such as you and others are key to getting LENR off the ground ;) TIA for your response.

• I don't always maintain civility. I try to, but I sometimes fail.

I've read about Moray King and the whole topic of "cold electricity." I'm very interested in this type of electricity, because I'm convinced there is a very real "aether" (although I'm not convinced of any one particular theory about it) that is an enormous supply of energy. If we could learn to harness and tap into it, I think we would be able to learn how to manipulate gravity, manipulate inertia, travel at super luminal speeds, extract energy from the aether, and evolve technologically to the next level. If Moray was involved in sonofusion, I'm not nearly as familiar.

For the record, when I talk about ultrasound in the processing of nickel, I am not suggesting that the ultrasound is inducing nuclear reactions. I'm only claiming that I think it would prepare the nickel to absorb hydrogen much more rapidly by removing the oxide layer, atomically roughing the surface, and perhaps even the creation of broken fragments of carbon allotropes. In addition, I read a paper a few days ago about how impacting bulk nickel samples with fast and strong forces can create an abundance of defects in the lattice. I can only imagine that nickel particles slamming into each other in a hydrocarbon slurry would have defects created inside of them.

When it comes to the experiments of Papp, I have a good bit of knowledge. In the past, I was in close communication with multiple individuals involved in projects to replicate Papp like motors. As often happens, I think the problem is that the technology can work (although not always), but the individuals involved are often scandalous and paranoid and shady. I'm convinced Papp had something, although I'm not exactly sure of the mechanism.

When it comes to Lugano, I want to see the data from the internal thermocouples. I've heard various rumors that the control system used such an internal thermocouple. If the data was ever provided, it would tell us a LOT. To me, depending on ONE METHOD of measuring temperature is NOT a good idea. There should always be multiple heat measurement technologies in any LENR experiment. Also, I've read through various arguments on this forum and elsewhere. But I did not desire to do the laborious research required to become an expert in IR measurements. I tend to find the arguments of Bob Higgins pursuasive that there was some quantity of output produced by the Lugano device. The COP may have been low, but, again, what we really need is the thermocouple readings.

Interestingly, the reality of Lugano does not change my mind whatsoever on the reality of the Ni-LiAlH4 "recipe." In previous reports, which were much more conclusive, various hot cats produced excess heat. Also, there are a number of replicators who have used the Ni-LiAlH4 recipe to produce excess heat. I think the reason there is not nearly as much success is because most replicators are not pre-hydrogenating their nickel and are not using top quality LiAlH4. Me356 stated that Alfa Aesar brand LiAlH4 seemed to produce far more hydrogen (he claimed without measuring 20 times as much). I've read several other references on the internet about how Alfa Aesar brand seems to be VERY high quality. I also know of some very confidential LENR experiments that seemed to work when Alfa Aesar brand LiAlH4 was used. As always, these experiments need to be repeated again and again. The problem is very few people in the LENR community desire or have the ability to perform more than a few experiments.

I'm in a frustrating situation because I believe that I've gained (from many different sources) a lot of information that could be extremely useful in making a successful Ni-H-Li reactor. However, I can't do the testing myself (no space, equipment, or funding) and most of the replicators I'm in touch with are constantly having to attend to family members or struggle to make ends meet financially just to keep a roof over their heads.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.