Forum Software Update

• Hello,

as you have surely seen, we made an update of our systems and forum software. This was necessary, because the previous software version will soon not get any further security updates, so we had to move on...

We decided to take the opportunity to also update our design to modernize it to state of the art web technology (for e.g. AMP, HTML5, HTTP2, PHP7 and even more technical stuff).

You may find it needs getting used to, and we are still tweaking it to get the best user experience. If you have any problems or suggestions, feel free to give us feedback!

Caused by the update there seems to be a problem related to the third-party logins. If you use one of them, read the following carefully.

Important Notice for all Users using the Third-party Login via Facebook and Google+:

You may face a problem during login. Only in the case you cant login, do the following:

To be able to login again you have to drop the app connection of the forum one time.

To do this, just login to your Facebook or Google account, go into the settings and remove LENR Forum from your app connections (see the links below).

Then try to login again and make a new app connection to LENR Forum.

Help:
    Here is a description how to do that with Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/help/170585223002660
    Here is a description how to do that with Google: https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/3466521

Anyway, we hope that this necessary step will not interrupt your forum flow to much and we can go with this one for the next few years :)

Thank you!

Your LENR Forum Team

• I would rather get directed to the dashboard than having to see a photo of the dogbone at the top of the domain.

Also, I am one of those that uses mainly the latest post list to find threads. Could we have more than 5 posts on that list? Maybe 12?

In the recent activities, seeing who likes whose post is a bit too facebookey; we could limit that list to higher signal stuff like posts/threads.

Having likes in the latest post table is also not that useful.

Edit: I guess I just found the "portal" page which has more latest post than dashboard. So scrap most of what I said, I can just bookmark that.

• Important Notice for all Users using the Third-party Login via Facebook and Google+:

To be able to login again you have to drop the app connection of the forum one time.

To do this, just login to your Facebook or Google account, go into the settings and remove LENR Forum from your app connections (see the links below).

Then try to login again and make a new app connection to LENR Forum.

This didn't work for me. I removed the Google connection, then when I try to login, it lenr-forum said that the username and email address were already in use. I had to use a different name and email address to get it to work.

• I would go with portal rather than dashboard.

Done!

I removed the Google connection, then when I try to login, it lenr-forum said that the username and email address were already in use.

Did you try to use the "lost password" function?

If this doesn't work, I can manually set a temporary password for your account. Then you can login and change it to what ever you want.

• With my laptop the main display looks OK , but when i switch to the second (external) display it looks like this (in both cases maximized window).

The sample is from "portal".

In this case the system is Windows 7 with Chrome browser.

This new setup is garbage in my opinion, go back to the old one.

I don't like it too, but we can read, that the older version doesn't support security updates. So now we are in similar situation, like the users of Windows 7 with Metro UI: you have to upgrade, like it or not.

IMO the main problem of the new design is, it's way less compact - the icons on the left are too large and they allow only few actual comments on the page.

To be honest, I don't visit this forum for watching of avatars.

• IMO the main problem of the new design is, it's way less compact - the icons on the left are too large and they allow only few actual comments on the page.

To be honest, I don't visit this forum for watching of avatars.

Thank you for your Feedback Zephir_AWT

These are configurable parameters.

What do you mean with "icons"? The avatar of each user? We can make them smaller. :thumbup:

What do you mean with "only few [...] comments on the page"? The amount of posts on one thread page? We can increase this also. :thumbup:

Thank you for your support.

• On a wide screen The forum is just unreadable. There is no way to change the font/size of the text part. As others said 90% Avatar one line = 5% text --> 90% white space with a font that is not designed for heavy reading....

At least for the bulk text you should use a text book font not a tag-font!!

• Hi Barty, thanks for all your work on this. Could I make some comments about the mobile version please (reading it on Chrome on an Android phone):

- The mobile version shows a list of topics, both within each forum and the 'latest posts' list. But unlike the desktop version, there's no way to 'go to last post'. Instead, clicking a topic just takes you to the first post in that topic. I guess that makes sense for new readers, but for the 'latest posts' page at least, which will be used mostly by regular readers, it would be better if it could take you to the last post in the topic instead.

- Also, in the mobile version the list (like this: <1,2,3 ....28> ) of pages within each topic is only shown at the bottom of the page. Could it be added at the top, too?

So now (on mobile), if you e.g. want to see what is new in the Rossi vs Darden Part 2 thread, you might click on it from the 'latest posts' page. It will take you to the first posting in the thread, on the first page. So you have to scroll all the way down, click on the number for the last page, then scroll all the way down that page to find the new posts at the end.

Sending you direct to the last message (like it does if you click on the user icon for the last poster in desktop view) would be best, and also a page list also at the top of each page would save time.

Thanks!

(EDIT - there's no separate mobile version, I see - it has the same behaviour if I shrink my desktop window. Also, I wasn't logged in when viewing it on mobile, so the 'unread posts' item wasn't there. But I still think my suggestions would be useful for non logged in users)

• Grafiker

Thank you for your feedback! :)

Also, in the mobile version the list (like this: <1,2,3 ....28> ) of pages within each topic is only shown at the bottom of the page. Could it be added at the top, too?

Done :thumbup:

The mobile version shows a list of topics, both within each forum and the 'latest posts' list. But unlike the desktop version, there's no way to 'go to last post'.

I will have a look into this. This deranged me as well.

Edit: Done! But this has a side effect: Also in the ThreadList inside a forum now each link points to the last post :(

Edit: Okay, fixed this one too :)

• Did you try to use the "lost password" function?

If this doesn't work, I can manually set a temporary password for your account. Then you can login and change it to what ever you want.

Yes, I did try it. Unfortunately, the link to reset my password didn't work. First, Google seemed to disable the link since it was sent to spam. I was able to recover the link, but the link didn't go to where it should (to reset the password). I'll give it another try.

• If it's almost a matter of flipping a switch in the forum software, is it possible to have:

• A separate new page for submitting new comments or editing existing ones, like the one appearing when creating new threads?
    • An optional additional comment editing mode allowing more simple BBCode instead of HTML?