Speculations on LENR theory, coherence, stimulated emission, and fusion

• Official Post

Eric Walker  Alan Smith

Your reasoning seems unavoidable.

The "snap effect" prevent a slow fusion in a two body mode. If a snap happen, the energy will be released brutally.

Alan push an alternative, nuclei are delocalized, at least some quarks are...

Digging in conjectures...

Only way to avoid the snap effect is to have a very local opposing force (usually with magnets it is my fingers who play the counter potential).

Strong force can be opposing... In some article I don't understand much, I've read that the core potential tower of strong force is due to W boson exchanges... Can electrons screening ineract with nuclei, to make the core potential stronger ?

Opposing force may come from positivey charged particle orbiting near the nucleus... crazy.

Maybe a strange lobe of nucleus wave...

if you think in 1D constrained system, the lobe may be very local...

Funny how all seems impossible.

Again experiments are needed to clear out the impossible and orient to feasible ideas matching reality.

So I am not interested in all kinds of discussions about hypothesises that have no empiric evidence in relation to LENR. Sorry.

Because you aren't aware this evidence it doesn't mean, that such an evidence doesn't exist. The experimental motivation/confirmation for the above theory is rather straightforward and it follows the recent experiments consisting of shooting of deuterons into a surface of molten lithium, during which the huge evolution of heat and stream of alpha particles gets generated - i.e. the classical fusion Li6 + D —> 2He4 + 22.4 MeV apparently runs there...

What makes these experiments spectacular isn't just the fact, that the accelerating voltage bellow 4 kV is able to initiate the cold fusion in high yield, because the calculations show, that due to halo character of deuterium nuclei the activation energy of deuterium fusion (~ 2 MeV) can be effectively lowered to few hundreds kVolts. But what is really fascinating is the observation, that the fusion runs only in very narrow range of temperature few dozen degrees above melting point of lithium (which would indeed make the practical utilization of such reaction a bit problematic).

Which is really something: we can control the nuclear reaction releasing 20 MeV just be temperature changes in few milielectronvolt regime.

Who would think of that?!

Note also that the above experiment doesn't utilize any solid phase complexities: metal lattice, nanocracks, plasmons and polarons, magnetic field, Boson condensates and superconductivity and literally all stuffs which for example AxilAxil based his speculations on - so it's very purist from perspective of LENR theory development. We only have deuterons, vacuum and pure molten lithium and the cold fusion still runs here - so that everything is as simple as possible.

• Strong force can be opposing...

Yes — at less than 0.7 fm between the nuclear centers, the nuclear interaction becomes repulsive. But the fusing nuclei must first drop off that cliff and land at the bottom before this opposing part of the strong force kicks in, at which point a lot of kinetic energy has been added to the system and resulted in an excited compound nucleus. That excited nucleus will now rapidly decay to the ground state through one or more (often gamma-producing) transitions, or it will break apart into two fragments as in the case of dd fusion. So I don't think the repulsive part of the potential curve you're talking about will help us out here.

Imagine holding the two large magnets from the video in your hand and trying to bring them gradually closer together until they touch, without letting them snap together violently.

• Official Post

I could tell you a little off-topic tale about big magnets. A lab I used to visit was using big big neos building prototype magnetic separators. When the technicians were working on the pilot machines one of them got into the habit of dropping the odd big magnet into his trouser pocket to stop it collecting up too much metal dust and screws etc on the bench. One day he forgot he had one in a pocket already, and put one in the other pocket too. With predictable results. His boss said he was laughing too much to help him....

Apologies - back to topic.

Hoping that you should understand that the proposed idea is too complicated

It's the simplest way how to understand it. Without its understanding you can spend whole your productive life at this forum without understanding something. But I can see the problem of yours: you're all old chaps and this forum replaces the communication and social life for you. This leads to the same problem like with mainstream science, which ignores the breakthrough findings and insights for the sake of status quo in closed community of physicists. You're just preferring to twaddle about the same stuff again and again instead of listening others and trying to get somewhere. I'm not judging you - after all it's your forum and I'm just a guest here - but I feel that similar psychosocial barrier, which prohibits the cold fusion in acceptation with mainstream replicates here at small scale. The laws of closed communities are the same everywhere. Bellow it's a (public!) memorandum of Robert Wilson, a former head of Fermilab and American Physical Society:

oencp2J.gif

• (22.4 MeV - 0,004 MeV)/22.4 MeV = 99,982% - high enough yield for me.

Of course, inside the metal lattices the 4 keV must be still somehow fullfilled without discharge - and this is just the point, where the various 2nd level theories of cold fusion may take place (nanocracks, superconductivity, hot electrons, plasmons and polarons, electron shielding, whatever else..).

But the 99,98% of Coulombic barrier can be overcomed apparently without help of these supporting mechanisms, because we have nothing like this at the surface of molten lithium. So that all developments of cold fusion theory should start right here.

• Many LENR mechanisms may not indeed involve the strong interaction or even fusion - but just the experiment above linked is the pure fusion by its products Li6 + D —> 2He4 + 22.4 MeV.

If D can approach Li, then why not 2 Ds which have a lower mutual Coulomb barrier and lower reduced mass? The above reaction IS a strong interaction (as there is no electromagnetic transition, and isospin is conserved).

• (22.4 MeV - 0,004 MeV)/22.4 MeV = 99,982% - high enough yield for me.

This not a measure of yield. The yield of any reaction, nuclear or chemical, is the fraction of product compared to the reactants. In the case of 4 keV deuterons, the yield will not be high enough for producing useful energy.

If D can approach Li, then why not 2 Ds which have a lower mutual Coulomb barrier and lower reduced mass?

Why not, actually the original study mentions the D2+ molecular beam instead of single deuterons. BTW The energy threshold for Li/D fusion reported in original Minari's experiments was even lower, about 300 eVolts only.

Zw6sq38.gif

In the case of 4 keV deuterons, the yield will not be high enough for producing useful energy.

Why it shouldn't? It's the basis of UnifedGravity Ltd. process and its patent, for example... Actually the heat production is so high, they have problem with cooling of lithium, because - as I noted already - this fusion runs in quite narrow temperature range only. The establishing of thin lithium film on the nickel etc substrate is IMO the main factor of increasing temperature range in Ni-Li-H based systems. Similarly to proton-boron Z-pinch fusion the resulting beam of alpha particles is possible to utilize for draining the electricity from reactor directly.

• Official Post

Big problem in any solution where coulomb barrier is lowered, like D2+ or my naive ideas, is the snap effect which release the 24MeV brutally...

I imagined it could be slowed down, like when I prevent two magnet to snap by putting my fingers between, but strong force magnet are much more strong than electric field fingers.

the core of strong froce is indeen at 0.7fm, but would it be possible a tiny lobe of quark wavefunction block penetration...

anyway to be near the nucleus at less than 10fm is already a miracle, but less than not emitting energetic particles.

The key is in the slowness of the fusion, not in the barrier breaking.

I had another crazy idea.

To implement my idea of slow fusion, one possibility could be that the strong force potential be "comb"-shaped, because the the wavefunction comb-shaped.

even possible that the two protons show the same respective comb, that interacts.

Non-regular comb potential which interact , maybe far away

having a comb-shaped potential is not uncommon in material science, but protons are so far naturally, so small, and electrons so annoyingly different that it seems crazy...

alternative is to follow the Takahashi's ideas, which are not incompatible with Storms method...

After all, Storms only conclude the NAE is where the reaction happens, is exceptional, near surface.

Storms proposes hydroton in crack because it seems the simplest possibility for a metallurgist point of view..

Another key in Takahashi's idea is that, if hydroton-like structure exists, it can only be explained by huge interaction with the metallic context of the crack.

Takahashi also remind that electrons cannot be dense near the nucleus because they have long wavelength compared to nuclei. Few more "it's impossible" on the list.

snap effect which release the 24MeV brutally... I imagined it could be slowed down

I already explained, that once the entanglement between multiple atom nuclei establishes itself, then the thermalization of resulting energy and neutrons will get diluted in both spatial domain both slowed down at temporal domain. The principle of entanglement is it dissolves the boundary between nuclear and electron orbitals and it dissolves multiple atom nuclei into single one (analogy of formation pi-molecular orbitals in organic and coordination chemistry). As the resulting gamma ray photons and neutrons will propagate freely along line of entangled multiple atom nuclei, but also much slower than in vacuum and they even could bounce back and forth along this line, thus diluting their energy multiple-times into the actual number of atom nuclei involved.

It's important to realize, that while the energy density of atom nuclei and electron orbitals differs significantly at the case of molecular hydrogen, inside the nickel atoms this boundary is more blurred, because the energy density of the electrons (as expressed with ionization energy) becomes comparable with energy density of nucleons at the surface of atom nuclei. The heavy atoms resemble mango fruit by their consistency, which is impossible to peel off cleanly without destruction of stone. While it's possible to cleanly strip the electrons from atom nuclei at the case of protium or deuterium, the complete removal of all electrons from nickel atom would require energies, which are comparable with energies required for breaking of atom nuclei - i.e. both the electron shielding both scattering of gamma rays with electrons is very intensive there.

We actually have a different problem there: because the energy released (24 MeV) is the multiple of the activation energy (0.5 MeV at the case of deuterons), the resulting energetic pulse should lead into propagation of avalanche-like reaction. IMO this situation really happens during formation of pits and X-ray beams, when multiple fusion runs in a single moment. It's evident, that nuclear reaction propagating along line of atoms in avalanche like-way must be somehow terminated with flatter 2D shock wave without breaking the entanglement - or it would lead into emanation of gamma ray or hot neutrons anyway.

BEC collapse is not extremely implausible

It's not difficult to imagine, that the energy of fusion will convert the fragments of colliding atom nuclei into a glowing rod, which will oscillate and gradually decay into multiple separated zones, which occasionally trap the resulting neutrons - this will improve the thermalization and cooling of intermediate excited state.

IMO the cold fusion a good opportunity into multiparticle collision simulations, but these simulation should involve both real density gradient of atom orbitals, both the formation of dense vacuum around atom nuclei and inside the orbitals in form of deBroglie waves around them. The colliding line of atom nuclei must behave like the waveguide for EM waves and free neutrons formed along it, or the energy generated would abruptly escape from it. Once we will not simulate the atoms like the energetic continuum capable of its own standing waves, but like the isolated colliding particles, then indeed the energy density gradient will remain too high for satisfactory explanation of thermalization of cold fusion within small volume.

Edited 6 times, last by Zephir_AWT: ​BTW Are AlainCo and ​Eric Walker the same person? Their comments suddenly fused before my surprised eyes..​ ().

Those photons will have a very long mean free path

I also explained it: the mean free path applies to metal lattice, which is actually very sparse environment due to large spaces between atoms. As Feynman often said: there is lotta space at the bottom. But once the X-rays impact the metal lattice under low angle, then this lattice suddenly changes into opaque mirror and waveguide for X-rays. The X-ray optics of gamma ray telescopes, both the reflecting mantles of thermonuclear bombs (which are composed of many layers of thin uranium foil) are based on this effect. The key for thermalization of both neutrons, both gama radiation during cold fusion is therefore their emanation in direction parallel with lines of atoms, so that they cannot escape from metal lattice. Once the fusion runs via low-dimensional collisions of long lines of atoms, then this requirement gets fulfilled automatically. Due to thermal fluctuations of lattice this arrangement gets broken, so that at high temperatures the escaping of neutrons from cold fusion reactors has been observed and this temperature dependence of cold fusion may serve as an evidence of the above model.

if hydroton-like structure exists, it can only be explained by huge interaction with the metallic context of the crack

My above model relies solely on geometrical arrangement of atoms, not presence of any other structures (cracks) or phases (dense hydrogen). These structures and phases cannot apply for explanation of cold fusion of deuterons at the surface of molten helium, where such an artifacts have nowhere to form and which also runs without traces of gamma rays and neutrons. These nanocracks could help to decrease the activation barrier at low temperatures without need the plasma discharge activation, which is why the 1D dislocations of whiskers are so effective as a catalyst of cold fusion. But I don't think, they could explain the thermalization of radiation and neutrons by itself - they merely serve as a high-level extension of 1D arrangement.

Someone who uses multiple ids on multiple servers and has multiple bannings may be inclined to think that others do that.

I just replied to Eric Walker's post, while during page refresh exactly this portion of post emerged in Alain Co post and the post of Eric Walker got suddenly reduced into a single sentence. Alan Smith recently admitted, he utilizes multiple alter egos at (t)his forum and Alain Co is also moderator - so I would have no problem with it, the violation of TOS the less - just the curiosity issues. These ones who are defining the rules are also allowed to broke them. BTW No one is actually prohibited to use multiple accounts here, providing he remains undetected... ;) And I don't use multiple accounts at forums, where I was already banned from simple reason - I've no agenda, other than spreading of ideas which couldn't be masked with multiple accounts.

• Zephir,

I tried to remove that post since it was rude and I would like peace. I am sure that you use multiple accounts. I admit I am a Unix guy, I would find it interesting on seeing how a .NET PHP program could create multiple accounts. Since I am an old chap, I am somewhat lazy so its easier just to ask a question. So my question is no matter what forum or what userid the common denominator

(which BTW is how your ID's are usually identified) what is your constant fascination with aw/daw? Why do you always link back to your own website? The only reason I can think is to drive Alexa rankings. Can you please help me understand why AWT is in almost every post from A-Z that you have done? It seems to be like a loop. There are times when you leave it alone, and you provide readable ideas. Oh and if you wish I will tell you how ip anomyzizers are easily defeated in windows boxes. Also can we agree to goto the playground to discuss this is OT, here.

-Peace

I am sure that you use multiple accounts.

If some of my accounts gets banned, I create a new one if the situation allows it just for case - but multiple ones? For what? To pretend that Zephir1 account has nothing to do with Zephir0, aether theory or cold fusion, despite it talks about it all the time? How long do you think such a sockpupetting would remain unrevealed just in my case? I'm pretty specific with my ideas and I usually get recognized after first sentence (my Czenglish indeed helps people with it substantially). The usage of multiple accounts has no meaning for me. I'm linking to webs, where I proposed the idea first, but during last years it's usually reddit only, as I don't maintain any private site anymore.

I will tell you how ip anomyzizers are easily defeated in windows boxes

I wouldn't even consider it - for example the Torr browser provides multiple web anonymization methods integrated including the proxy and browser fingerprinting.

• I also explained it: the mean free path applies to metal lattice, which is actually very sparse environment due to large spaces between atoms. ... But once the X-rays impact the metal lattice under low angle ...

Forgive me if I have not read an earlier contribution where you addressed this point; I rarely even skim your posts, as I find little redeeming in them. But to your point: at even one or two orders of magnitude less than 24 MeV, our photons are too energetic to participate in the kind of x-ray mirror you're describing. Some cutting-edge efforts at hard x-ray optics, for example, are focused on a 80 keV upper limit. In order to have your mirror, you will need to have already broken up that 24 MeV quantum into small pieces.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.