The Stepanov Ni-H replication.

• Official Post

Apologies if this has been 'done to death' before, but this Rossi replication seemed to me to be worth airing again.

Experimental Measurement of Excess Thermal Energy Released from a Cell Loaded with a Mixture of Nickel Powder and Lithium Aluminum Hydride
    I. N. Stepanov, Yu. I. Malahov, Chi Nguyen Quoc.

Translated into English by Bob Higgins of Accuiti Science & Engineering

Abstract - This paper describes the experimental setup, and
    methodology for assessing the energy in a small volume heat cell,
    that was loaded with a mixture of nickel powder and lithium
    aluminum hydride. This paper confirms the results obtained
    previously by Andrea Rossi and AG Parkhomov - that under
    certain conditions the cell makes excess energy; I.E. in the
    amount of heat released exceeding the input.

http://www.e-catworld.com/wp-c…H-Ni_Stepanov_English.pdf
    [edit by Rends fixed the link]

• Sadly, Stepanov et. al. have not provided sufficient information to evaluate their experiments.

Back in December, 2015, I asked Stepanov the following questions, but did not get a reply.

"1. Did you pre-heat the nickel alone consistent with Rossi's patent? In other words, did you perform pre-treatment of the nickel or use a special mixing procedure with the nickel and LAH?

2. Have you performed a control run to similar temperature levels in your calorimeter without active material?"

• 1. Did you pre-heat the nickel alone consistent with Rossi's patent? In other words, did you perform pre-treatment of the nickel or use a special mixing procedure with the nickel and LAH?

Does Rossi claim pre-heating?

This is what is claimed:

Preferably, the nickel has been treated to increase its porosity, for example by heating the nickel powder to for times and temperatures selected to superheat any water present in micro-cavities that are inherently in each particle of nickel powder. The resulting steam pressure causes explosions that create larger cavities, as well as additional smaller nickel particles.

The main point here is that the nickel powder is being treated for porosity. Then it goes on making an example where it could be heated several times at temperatures able to cause steam explosions. But is there actually any indication that just heating the powder in air would suffice?

• Here are a couple patents describing a technique that is actually able to produce steam explosions to create fine particles.

US 6939389 B2 Method and apparatus for manufacturing fine powders

Abstract

The manufacture of pure, fine spherical powders has always been a problem for many materials, particularly for high-melting and highly reactive materials such as titanium, tantalum, vanadium and zirconium. The present invention provides a process and apparatus for producing such powders by rapidly heating course powders containing a gas or gases to near or above their melting point, whereby the contained gas erupts explosively to form many fine particles of the host material. The fine particles are typically, but not necessarily spheroidal, depending upon the process conditions at the time of eruption and immediately thereafter. Methods are described for producing, collecting, handling, storing and passivating said fine powders.

US 6929199 B1 Explosive fragmentation process

Abstract

Porous ceramic particles can be fragmented by generating a gas inside the pores at a sufficient pressure to cause the particles to be fragmented. The preferred way of generating the pressure is by immersing the particles in a liquid that at ambient temperatures and pressures is a gas until the liquid is absorbed into the pores and thereafter rapidly changing the conditions such that the liquid becomes a gas resulting in explosive fragmentation of the ceramic particles.

A mundane analogue: the "popcorn cannon", which could be adapted to nickel powder preparation by using a pressure vessel with nickel powder in a superheated water bath.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Would it be dangerous? You bet! Would Rossi care? I doubt it.

• So: this experiment has the capability of being interesting, but it needs better instrumentation records,

We need to know the water flow (through the device, not to the tank from mains). We need to know the graphs of temperature in and out. Given that we could work out the total energy released. I'm inclined to distrust the claimed figure for energy because the water flow is clearly unstable and we have no accurate measurements of flow vs temp in and out. The 34C is quoted as a maximum value. The quasi-periodic oscillation looks to me most likely a water speed artifact caused by the damping tank.

The T1/T2 temperature readings could be due to heat from core or contamination of a TC given high temps and reactive fuel. A repeat experiment with the same reactor would help disambiguate these.

I have a question about reaction of the copper: which has significant mass and is could well react. But I'd not expect this to be up as high as 5MJ. But I'd like to know the mass, and with the above effect it could cause these results.

If these results are real further experiments could check these matters, I guess the experimenters would be highly motivated to do that.

Looking at the water meter, it is impellor with a pulse every 10 or 100l. The nominal flow rate is 1.5 or 2.5m^3/hour (25 or 40l/min) The stated rate of 1l/min means they get pulses every 10 or 100min (depending on how it is switched). That does not allow them to check water oscillation, possible in this case due to the tank, and especially due to the low flow, rate capable of spoofing this flow meter.

So I see this as a weak point in the instrumentation.

• Official Post

Stepanov is a good example of how frustrating it is to get follow up information out of Russia. I think Parkhomov is still doing R/D, but we only get an occasional tidbit about him. I have asked our Russian members here to try and find out what is happening, but nothing ever came of it.

Same goes for the Ni-H Research Group in China. Sonsheng Jiang made a big splash a few years ago that got everyone excited. Then he was replicated by another Chinese engineer, more excitement, and that was the last I heard from either of them. We also had some good reports out of India last year about confirmed transmutations/XH, but nothing since then. Swedes...oh never mind. :) We need everyone to keep us abreast of their developments (the good and the bad), if we are going to save the planet.

I give credit to the Japanese as they are relatively open. Same goes for the likes of Storms and Miles.

• I give credit to the Japanese as they are relatively open. Same goes for the likes of Storms and Miles.

I call this the IH (Weaver) phenomena: As soon as some people get a drop of money (needed) their mouth is plugged by a signature on a paper.

What did Higgins tell us during the last year??

In Russia/China/US (IH) the military is blocking public research whenever it can get a hand on it.

In Russia/China/US (IH) the military is blocking public research whenever it can get a hand on it.

Please explain to me how one goes about blocking billionaires in the US? (for example: Bezos, Musk, Gates, Buffet, etc. etc.) If they want to buy an LENR patent or sponsor research, how exactly would the military stop them and why?

• Please explain to me how one goes about blocking billionaires in the US? (for example: Bezos, Musk, Gates, Buffet, etc. etc.) If they want to buy an LENR patent or sponsor research, how exactly would the military stop them and why?

Lenr's problem remains very very simple, nobody, ABSOLUTELY NOBODY , has been able to produce more than Watts or tens of watt, repeatable, until today.

Lenr's problem remains very very simple, nobody, ABSOLUTELY NOBODY , has been able to produce more than Watts or tens of watt, repeatable, until today

Wha-happened today? Shouldn't you be calling some science reporters and editors?

May be you did not understand the post. IH is Military! At least the Guy(s) acting did 10+ years work for deep state...

Oh yeah, the deep state. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/…tate_in_the_United_States

How could I forget that smelly conspiracy theory advocated by the likes of Steve Bannon and Alex Jones? If IH is military, its adversaries have little to worry about as long as they continue to buy into stuff like Rossi's. What are they going to do? Make a fusion bomb with duct tape and plastic parts from the Home Depot garden section? An LENR submarine based on the wonders Rossi gave Darden to try?

• how exactly would the military stop them and why?

Well five seconds of googling led me to the Inventions Secret Act... But rest assured that I’m more than happy to spoon-feed you a link: Open Wide!

https://www.wired.com/2013/04/gov-secrecy-orders-on-patents/

There’s a good boy! ...(Is that your preferred noun these days? I’d hate to offend an esteemed gender bender).

As for the “why”... Surely you ain’t that dumb, are you? Working that one out is barely above breathing, in the overall scheme of things.

...Although maybe this is a lesson to us all, demonstrating the atrophic effects of excessive spoon-feedings?

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.