• Well, this validation by a PhD seems very optimistic and one wonders why nothing ever became of it, looks like a R. Mills venture into fuel cell tech. - no measurements can be substantiated other than by the authors say so. Most of R.Mills papers reside behind inaccessible paywalls (all unlike Holmlid's open free access and transparent reporting of data).

Catalyst Induced Hydrino Transition (CIHT) Electrochemical Cell Validation

Dr. Randell Mills of BlackLight Power, Inc. (BLP) has developed the “Grand
    Unification Theory of Classical Physics,” based on applying physical laws and first principles
    rather than pure mathematics1
    . As a direct result of this theory, Dr Mills is able to calculate, with
    great precision, bond energies and molecular structures that have been verified through
    experimental observation and reported in the literature. The theory further predicts that there a
    more stable state of hydrogen than previously believed. He has identified this more stable state
    of hydrogen as the “hydrino.” The predicted hydrino state should have a unique spectral
    signature and the catalytic/electrochemical reaction should also exhibit a continuum radiation
    and extraordinary fast H. Data has been published in leading physics journals confirming
    these23456. A transition from hydrogen in the traditional molecular state, H2, to the hydrino state
    will release energy two hundred times greater than burning the same hydrogen. BLP has
    invented a new electrochemical cell, the catalyst induced hydrino transition cell (CIHT), to
    harness this energy as direct electrical output.
    The CIHT contains an anode, electrolyte and a cathode as indicated below. Atomic
    hydrogen is formed via initial electrolysis of water. That hydrogen is then converted via
    catalytic reaction to form hydrinos. The energy is captured as net electrical output of the CIHT.

1 R. Mills, The Grand Unified Theory of Classical Physics, July 2010 edition,
    http://www.blacklightpower.com/theory/bookdownload.shtml. 2 R. L. Mills, R. Booker, Y. Lu, “Soft X-ray Continuum Radiation from Low-Energy Pinch Discharges of
    Hydrogen,” IEEE Trans. Plasma Sci, submitted. 3 R. L. Mills, Y. Lu, “Time-Resolved Hydrino Continuum Transitions with Cutoffs at 22.8 nm and 10.1 nm,” Eur.
    Phys. J. D, 64, (2011), pp. 63, DOI: 10.1140/epjd/e2011-20246-5. 4 R. L. Mills, Y. Lu, “Hydrino Continuum Transitions with Cutoffs at 22.8 nm and 10.1 nm,” Int. J. Hydrogen
    Energy, 35 (2010), pp. 8446-8456, doi: 10.1016/j.ijhydene.2010.05.098. 5 K. Akhtar, J. Scharer, R. L. Mills, “Substantial Doppler Broadening of Atomic Hydrogen Lines in DC and
    Capactively Coupled RF Plasmas,” J. Physics D: Appl. Phys., Vol. 42, Issue 13 (2009), 135207 (12pp). 6 R.L. Mills, K. Akhtar, “Tests of Features of Field-Acceleration Models for the Extraordinary Selective H Balmer α
    Broadening in Certain Hydrogen Mixed Plasmas,” Int. J. Hydrogen Energy, Vol. 34, (2009), 6465–6477.

CIHT cell schematic:
    On two separate visits to BLP’s facilities in Cranbury NJ on November 30, 2011 and on
    December 15, 2011, I reviewed the classical theory and analytical data regarding the
    identification of the newly identified form of hydrogen as the cell product, the lower state
    hydrogen called “hydrino.” I also reviewed the test results and report of Dr. Ramanujachary of
    Rowan University who had performed mass and electrical energy balances on 11 CIHT cells.
    Excess electrical energy, from roughly two to seven times that used for water electrolysis, was
    produced in cells run as long as thirty days.
    Exhaustive analytical analyses (gobbledegook?) were performed on
    multiple cells including elemental analysis by ICPMS, and XRF, XRD, gravimetric analysis and
    mass balance measurements by weight (blinding us with science jargon?). No known conventional energy mechanism could be
    identified that would support the net energy generation seen. Rather, the hydrino formation, as
    theorized by Dr. Mills, has been confirmed by proton NMR analysis of the cell following
    operation (won't they have disappeared by then...during would have been convincing).
    Other cells operated in BLP’s laboratory for long duration were consistant with the
    Ramanujachary cells ??, showing output electrical energy multiple times the input to the cell. Some
    of those were validation cells under test by Sanmina-SCI scientists, another independent
    validation team ??. On November 30th, I visited BLP and observed the preparation of the cell
    components, electrolyte and electrodes, and the fabrication, test assembly, and testing of three 3
    CIHT cells using different anodes (negative electrode materials). I returned to BLP on
    December 15th. At that time, the accumulated electrical energy gain ???? from these cells were 207%,
    547%, and 5476%, respectfully. These cells ran for a total of three weeks with stable
    performance, at which point they were shut down so that other experiments could be run.

Data from the test cells was captured on two separate, state-of-the-art and highly accurate
    Arbin Instruments battery and fuel cell test stations. Both were factory calibrated in March 2011
    and were redundantly calibrated with a digital oscilloscope, standardized against NIST (National
    Institute of Standards and Technology) standards, confirming that the instrumentation accurately
    recorded accumulated electrical energy inputs and outputs. With unequivocal measurements of
    energy gain, well beyond any possible experimental error, a source of energy must be present
    besides that input for water electrolysis.
    The experimental procedure had each cell placed in a sealed stainless steel, vacuum tight
    vessel with H2O entrained in an inert (argon) carrier gas as the only mass input, or supplied with
    H2O generated by a sealed H2O vapor generator. No possible reaction exists amongst the
    electrodes or the electrolyte that could have produced the observed electrical energy.
    Furthermore, there is no possible reaction of H2O with the cell constituents based on system
    thermodynamics. The only other possibility is that based on Dr. Mills’ theory: H formed during
    electrolysis undergoes a reaction to form hydrinos with the release of electrical energy. Results
    were consistant with the proposed CIHT cell half-cell reactions forming the hydrino catalyst in
    the presence of atomic hydrogen, and the cell performance matched predictions based on the
    hydrino mechanism including the upfield NMR results characteristic of the hydrino product.
    In summary, BLP has successfully fabricated and tested CIHT cells capable of producing
    net electrical output up to 50 times that input to maintain the process. Some cells have produced
    steady power for over one month. The power generation is consistant with Dr. Mills theory of
    energy release resulting from hydrino formation.
    No other source of energy could be identified.
    BLP has achieved a historic success for a technology that could be directly
    commercialized as an alternative form of power generation. Potential applications range from
    stationary power infrastructure including the large-scale electrical grid to distributed and
    microdistributed scales and motive fuels infrastructure. The promise ultimately will be driven by
    economics.
    The conceptual commercial CIHT design is similar in some ways to a molten carbonate
    fuel cell (MCFC). Both will run at elevated temperatures, though the CIHT requirement is not as
    high ~300 °C vs. ~600 °C for the MCFC. Also, the CIHT will not require a sophisticated fuel
    distribution design. The CIHT cell will use cheap, abundant, nontoxic, commodity chemicals,
    with no apparent long-term supply issues that might preclude commercial, high volume
    manufacturing. The cost of the chemicals based on optimization of the cell dimensions is
    estimated to be under $100/kW compared to ten times that for fuel cells that further require a
    source of hydrogen or hydrogen gas and a fuel infrastructure. The systems and operational
    parameters of the CIHT cell are expected to be simple compared to those of fuel cells such that
    the cost of chemicals should constitute most of the cell capital cost. Several other advantages of
    the CIHT include: 1) no toxic chemicals or discharge enabling operation open to the atmosphere,
    2) the cells are stable with no self-discharge or other degradation, and 3) instantaneous power
    availability. The CIHT cell has clearly shown the capability to produce electricity. When
    properly scaled, such a system should be competitive across a wide variety of power markets
    including industrial, commercial, residential and transportation applications.
    The next development target should be a 10 W, reproducible, demonstration system with
    output ratios similar to those observed in the initial laboratory tests. Based on current data and
    the success of the development of a bipolar plate, an essential milestone for scaling, this should
    be achievable near term. The Company should follow on with 100 W and 1000 W output CIHT
    systems, while simultaneously developing standard assembly techniques with power density
    optimization and miniaturization of the cell unit.
    As BLP scales from 10 W to 1 kW, they will also want to begin conceptual design for a
    prototype commercial unit. An appropriate target would be a 1.5 kW system as that is a typical
    base load power for homes in developed countries. In addition to component optimization, BLP
    will need to develop appropriate electronic controls systems as well as the requisite interface to a
    local grid system. Initial focus on integration with the US grid system at 60 Hz is appropriate,
    with the European 50 Hz standard following. Development time will be saved in the long term if
    UL, CE, RoHS and other design standards are taken into consideration from the start.
    Based on industry precedent, a team comprising nine scientists, engineers, and support
    personnel should be able to reach the 1 kW demonstration goal 12 to 15 months after the 10 W
    demonstration. Twelve months beyond that, BLP should be able to have a 1.5 kW prototype
    available for qualification. The Company may be able to exploit published industry knowledge
    and experience to expedite the development. The initial work is easily conducted in BLP’s
    53,000 sq ft facility with its present staff of scientists, engineers, and technicians including seven
    Ph.D.s. The Company should hire additional electrochemists, materials engineers, analytical
    chemists, inorganic chemists, system engineers, thermal engineers, and support staff as needed to
    meet the technology goals.

It all just sounds too good to be true which was the case because precisely zilch became of it! All sounding a bit like Rossi-says on a larger scale. So this was all more than five years ago. Sorry guys but this all looks like free energy fraud (on a much larger scale than Leonardo Corp).

• Maybe you are right. All this for nothing would make some very happy I'm guessing. We don't know many things but persuing what is not fully understood or is on the edge of the conventional is how we discover new exiting things and grow. Maybe Mills, Holmid, Bob Green, Parkomov and the rest of the eager Geiger watchers are all hopeless dreamers. If there is nothing, at least they tried and I respect them if their trying was sincere, period. It's hard to tell who is some sort of decoy/misinformation and what is genuine, but I hope something good comes of this New Fire thing.

• At least if the misinformation is within the national interest in presenting a decoy for foreign hackers (you mean?) then it is justifiably supported. But lets not be caught out by believing our own misinformation. Such is the value of skepticism.

• Well all is possible, but i most certainly hope it isn't the case, i was referring the possibility that some directions/theories pushed in pursuing the perceived new fire are to distract from real energy sources in the pipeworks for the real new fire. For national security and protected investment interests of course.

On a lighter note i was thinking of BLP's MHD generator approach while reading this article. Couldn't help but mentally swap in a machine for catalytically condensed hydrogen as a power source directly into proposed space rocket engine instead of a fission driven MHD. Of course designed to provide both thermal and electrical power for space. Read:

http://toughsf.blogspot.com/20…rmal-electric-rocket.html

Have a good night and a restful blessed weekend.

• Official Post

Rather, the hydrino formation, as
    theorized by Dr. Mills, has been confirmed by proton NMR analysis of the cell following
    operation (won't they have disappeared by then...during would have been convincing).

Interestingly enough there is (or was) a publicity-shy group of garage researchers in the USA who claimed to have made what they describe as 'stable Rydeberg hydrogen' a pale green liquid apparently stable at room temperature. I last heard from them in around 2016, and we had limited private correspondence in that period. Since then all emails have pinged back as undeliverable. They didn't seem interested in raising money, but rather were looking for advice on how to proceed, which was difficult for me, since they wouldn't discuss the process, but did send a short video with some interesting images. Advice was almost impossible, it would have been like trying to advise somebody on the care and nurturing of an alien child I had never even seen. An odd little episode , but then frontier science is full of them.

• Interestingly enough there is (or was) a publicity-shy group of garage researchers in the USA who claimed to have made what they describe as 'stable Rydeberg hydrogen' a pale green liquid apparently stable at room temperature. I last heard from them in around 2016, and we had limited private correspondence in that period. Since then all emails have pinged back as undeliverable. They didn't seem interested in raising money, but rather were looking for advice on how to proceed, which was difficult for me, since they wouldn't discuss the process, but did send a short video with some interesting images. Advice was almost impossible, it would have been like trying to advise somebody on the care and nurturing of an alien child I had never even seen. An odd little episode , but then frontier pseudo science is full of them.

corrected for you

• Question THHuxleynew, you consider Kenneth Shoulders a pseudoscientist?

I'd categorise the science, not the scientist.

https://globalbem.com/one-mill…ting-water-electrolyzers/

Basically yes, "room temp green hydrogen" is pseudo-science. Of course room temp green reductants exist, and possibly some H/H2O/? combos are green and combustible. But not made out of pure H, nor using ZPE, nor a novel form of water.

• Official Post

I'd categorise the science, not the scientist.

https://globalbem.com/one-mill…ting-water-electrolyzers/

Basically yes, "room temp green hydrogen" is pseudo-science. Of course room temp green reductants exist, and possibly some H/H2O/? combos are green and combustible. But not made out of pure H, nor using ZPE, nor a novel form of water.

I asked about Kenneth Shoulders not about Moray’s B. King interpretations about many phenomena in which he mentions Shoulders.

• I asked about Kenneth Shoulders not about Moray’s B. King interpretations about many phenomena in which he mentions Shoulders.

Yes Curbina - but my original comment was about the science. I don't (except when someone like Rossi is obviously both technically incompetent and a bare-faced liar) comment on people. It is not fair to dismiss a scientist's work in one area, or assume it is good, based on their work in a different area.

There is an exception - on another thread I've taken a large and well-cited recent publication record in particle physics theory as reason to prefer opinion in particle physics theory over someone with no such record. Why? Because it is unwise to try developing new theories without having fully understood the merits and demerits of existing theories. "rest on the shoulders of giants" etc. There were times in science and technology when everything was new, and this did not apply. But particle physics now is not like that.

• Norront don't seem to be having too much trouble with seeing liquid UDD at low temperatures, certainly less trouble than THHuxleynew from the comfort of his desk.

https://register.epo.org/appli…17870991&lng=en&npl=false

Yes, we were not talking about seeing (something liquid) at low temperatures but green stuff at room temperature.

and "seeing UDD" implies belief in the existence of something with quite extraordinary (and not theoretically coherent) properties - of inestimable technological and scientific value - that no scientist except for Holmlid and a very small group around him seem to be interested in. I'd put it up there with seeing (not-terrestrial) UFOs. Possible, but not likely. Perhaps, IMHO, a bit more likely then ET-UFOs, but still low probability.

I don't doubt that Holmlid has made the observations he reports. I doubt his imaginative but changeable interpretations (UDD, UDH, etc, etc).

I would say, because I tend to join dots, that if some ultra-dense material did exist at normal pressures, it would give rise to a lot of unexpected phenomena. The physics of electronic behaviour in a vast range of conditions have been well tested and don't correspond to such material: new science there is unlikely not so ,much because theoretically unexpected, but because it is very surprising that it has not evidenced elsewhere.

In addition, Holmlid has been replicably making this stuff for 10 years or more. if he had clear evidence he could surely instrumnet it better and generate a coherent evidence base striking enough interest for many others to replicate. I've been watching his papers, and can see the reason this has not yet happened is that subsequent evidence is (completely) different from early evidence. If UDD exists he will double down and explore more carefully its properties in multiple ways, obtaining eventually replicable evidence no-one could overlook. I'm sorry it has not yet happened.

• The 'green stuff' at room temperature is maybe the KFeO2 catalyst which is olive-greenish? It is possible the UDD is present in a dynamic state in equilibrium with atomic D so may not be observed in the way that Mills describes hydrino hydrogen, a concept which is even further away from conventional physics since partial quantal states will never be accepted by the mainstream - so it leaves us with only partial confidence in Holmlid's results. Until other - unconnected verifications of both Mills & Holmlid's work is done I'm afraid we will always have to qualify our understanding with 'if its true'.

Doesn't stop us theorizing though 'if it is the case' then a sound theoretical basis for LENR can be found, if not then its back to the drawing board.

• I am frustrated with the extreme delay of the second quarter reports from BLP. I can only hope the delay is because they realize using liquid metal is a complication and they would produce a simpler and more robust system if they used a pure plasma except for the nano-particles sputtered by their electrodes. I think the problem could be that with such a system they could end up producing far more energy than would be predicted by hydrino theory and they'd be pressured into admitting that other reactions were also taking place.

• Official Post

The 'green stuff' at room temperature is maybe the KFeO2 catalyst which is olive-greenish?

But a solid - AFAIK Holmlid never mentioned a colour for the liquid, that was the USA guys who contacted me, and that was what was in their video. The amount of state and university support plus private finance Norront Fusion are getting suggests they have captured the interest of a great many very smart people, as well as the 14 team members.

• Deuterium is a hydrogen isotope. The terms are often used interchangeably in the literature. Also Homlid has not reported the need for cryo-temperatures at all, but works at ambient temperature.

Yes Alan, however if you examine the literature Holmlid has gone back on his original claim that only 2H could be ultra-dense and in future papers said that 1H could also be ultra-dense - and obtained extraordinary results from 1H experiments which, if he is right, would indicate that.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.