MFMP: Automated experiment with Ni-LiAlH

• BobHiggins

If it helps diagnosing the issue, I'm using Firefox 53 64 bit.

Here are ROI and GM counts since the start of the experiment in a standard image format. There is indeed a rise where you indicate, but there seems to be one earlier too:

• Eric Walker

Yes, there is an SI-8B pancake detector that has a grounded foil shield that is also detecting in addition to the scintillator (ROI shown here is broadband). In the bottom of the scintillator plot (first of the graphs in the images above that can included in his post above, is the plot of the counts for the SI-8B pancake detector.

• The change in GM counts (in particular) seems interesting. I've made a dedicated graph of its data resampled to 60 second bins, which makes the trend over time a bit more clear:

In addition to the graphs updated hourly on the shared folder on mega.nz (last 14 hours of data plotted), below is attached an additional multipage plot with the latest data since the beginning of the experiment.

• Ok, thanks for explaining, Bob. Now that I see your setup and Can's graph, it seems to me that (1) your GM detector is going to pick up neither alpha nor beta particles originating from the reactor given the presence of the heat shield and insulating bricks; and (2) Can's (earlier) graph appears to show only noise. (Just to mention two obvious points.) The GM counter appears to be there only to detect gamma photons, then. Have you verified that both the GM counter and the scintillator pick up coincident measurements from a check source that is brought into the area of the reactor and then removed?

How is the 137Cs tracer used in this setup?

• Eric Walker

The 137Cs "tracer" is a 1uCi check source whose gamma photons are only seen by the scintillator. Since these photons only go in straight lines, they would have to go through the lead brick to get to the GM detector, and don't really make it through in a sufficient intensity to be detected by the SI-8B.

Alpha would not escape the reactor tube. Only beta of very high energy would escape the reactor tube, but not the heater tubes - only the Bremsstrahlung would escape. The GM detector would detect x- and gamma- photons above about 5keV. I have a 55Fe check source and tested that the SI-8B with the foil shield(s) can detect the 5keV. The scintillator will not detect below about 15keV. I can put the 137Cs source on top of the K-26 bricks and see the count in both - seems like I did that once before.

• There is clearly a correlation between the GM and the scintillator ROI fluctuations. It appears that there is greater variation in the low energy portion of the spectrum based on the relative amounts of variation seen in the GM vs the scintillator ROI.

It is not clear whether the cause is environmental or from the reaction. When we calibrate the gamma spectra, we can look for differences in the spectra as a clue. We can also acquire similar gamma spectra/counts during a calibration run with no fuel. Longer term background acquisition can be planned.

• I wonder whether the small correlated drift in the counts for the two detectors goes back to a changing of the circulation of air in the room altering the ambient concentration of radon progeny in the immediate neighborhood of the detectors.

• can

How old could the code be? You just did this a couple of weeks ago!

Particularly for spectra that may contain information in addition to background, you can't just average all of the spectra. If you are going to use them all, then you need to median combine the calibrated spectra. But this only works if there are just a few instances of information in otherwise null files. You can be pretty sure that below 200°C that all of the files are probably null - unless there were radioactive elements created. I am going to keep running the spectra for a while with a new name - PostExperiment - or something. Tomorrow I may remove the reactor tube and take spectra that don't have even the reactor tube present.

• Eric Walker

Up here in the mountains at 8850' elevation we get enough wind that it is unlikely for radon to accumulate in the lab - I have never seen a signature of radon in all of my spectra (I am not as subject to Fukishima fallout and radon as Alan in Santa Cruze). It is more likely that we would experience cosmic ray effects of some type. We have been under perfectly clear skies for the duration of this experiment. I will run the spectrometer overnight and into tomorrow - we can look for commensurate variations.

• The data from this experiment is complete and the DAQ is no longer accumulating samples, but the spectrometer is still completing one last spectrum as part of the dataset. After that I will start a new spectrometer sequence (same 5000s live time integration).

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.