An MHD based Ni-H LENR reactor idea

• I recently had an idea for an Ni-H gas loading reactor that uses MHD effects to cause motion of hydrogen within the lattice to trigger the LENR reaction and wanted to share it, in the hopes that somebody has the resources to actually build it and try it out. It involves sealed metal (copper?) tube electrically insulated from another metal rod that runs down the length of the inside of the tube. Nickel powder is pressed into the tube around the rod so that it forms a tube of nickel powder that provides a conductive pathway between the center rod and outer casing of the tube. Let's call this a cylindrical "nickel capacitor", with one plate of the capacitor being the outer tube and the other plate being the inner rod, with the Ni powder as a "dielectric" pressed between them. A coil of copper wire is wrapped around the tube and connected in series (or parallel might work too?) to the nickel capacitor, but is insulated from the outside of the tube to provide a magnetic field component, with an orientation parallel to the axis of the tube. A valve is provided to allow pressurized hydrogen into the tube. The tube is heated to hydrogen loading temperatures, and the nickel powder is loaded with as much hydrogen as possible. As the hydrogen is loaded, the nickel becomes more of an insulator and the tube starts to act more like a capacitor, or RC circuit, and less like a resistor.

Now, if you were to pass DC current through the circuit, what would happen? You would have a magnetic field from the coil which is aligned with the axis of the cylindrical tube, and current would flow from the center of the tube axially outwards towards the circumference, at 90 degrees to the magnetic field. This will cause an MHD effect in the loaded nickel hydride powder, moving either clockwise or counterclockwise around the center rod depending on the magnetic field polarity.

Now, what would happen if we pass AC through this circuit or switch the direction of the DC current? We would see the exact same effect, in the same direction no matter which polarity the applied voltage has since the magnetic field would reverse direction when the electric current and electric field also reverse direction. In the case of AC, they would be 90 degrees out of phase which should cause a pulsing MHD effect. The circuit should also become resonant at some frequency as well, and at that resonant frequency, i hypothesize that the LENR reaction will be at it's highest level.

I have never heard of a design quite like this to try and produce the LENR effect, and don't have the resources or materials to build and test it myself, however I would love for somebody to be able to try it out and report on the results. If it works, the only thing I ask is that this simple design be left as open-source to the community and shared with the world.

I eagerly await comments and results of this experiment :)

• Official Post

It looks complicated, but already there was experiments with magnetic field... mostly static, but some moving.
    your nickel capacitor is not so common, except if it is conductive...
    there was some test with protons conductors (read Ed Storms books for references, or Biberian works) , positive but hard to control.
    maybe proton conductors may give you other ideas.

I don't know MHD enough to know if it can happen at small current and low magnetic field...

• There are many theories. I believe that the one proposed in this would only explain a subset of LENR results - not all. If LENR is real, then several different, but related, phenomena may be involved.

• It looks interesting to me....

If I understand you correctly, you would like to incorporate an resonant circuit (LC element) in your LENR device by design?

I am also working on some ideas for an (hot) LENR device, which should use standard industrial components, which in my

opinion could make the design more reliable.

I was also thinking about placing an eletrical coil (e.g. from an DC brushless motor) around the LENR active material or

use a tungsten rod for electrical discharge.

In my design heating will be provided by a high performance ceramic glow plug (normally used in diesel engines) reaching well above 1000°C.

Awaiting your feedback.

Thanks

g.s.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.