me356: Photos of AURA control unit

• Thank you for the feedback! A few quick thoughts.

We know Rossi used nano-diamonds as well as graphene in some capacity due to statements in the court papers and depositions. They were vague, though. But I think they could be useful in generating EVOs. My guess is that in a powder based system they might even be stimulated by RF energy in addition to heat or SPPs that might roll through the fuel mix.

I also think in the final RF reactor a percentage of argon or xenon mixed in might be useful. I've read a statement in a paper about spheromaks that even the addition of less than 1% argon or xenon to the hydrogen environment of the "gun" increases their internal magnetic field and stability 10 fold. I think that in many of Rossi's systems he wanted to bombard this fuel with these structures. And, even if we don't get direct strikes, they can continuously emit showers of energetic electrons that could induce SPPs on the nickel.

About the QX: I think it is a more classical spheromak fusion setup using Li and H, which we know have some interesting reactions even at low energies due to the results from Unified Gravity Corporation and other researchers who have been able to induce fusion reactions at very low proton energies of 200 eV in some cases. My guess is that there are permanent magnets used that produce a magnetic mirror trap that tend to confine the spheromaks or at least bunch them up so they collide, compress, and inducefusion reactions.

• BobHiggins

In direct&practical reference to your upcoming tests, do you have two identical Geiger counters so that the suggestion that in the potential presence of any 'strange radiation' emission a count enhancement by placing foils or layers of conductive metals (silver, copper, etc) in front of one of the detectors' window could be verified without altering their arrangement while the experiment is running? You might have already read about this before, for example here, but also probably in other instances.

Of course, their sensitivity would be tested/calibrated before the actual test, as well as any attenuation of the background signal caused by the metal foil/shielding.

I think I recall a silver coin was used briefly on a past MFMP test by Goldwater et al, which caused a pancake GM detector to report a slightly decreased background signal.

• can No, I don't have two identical GM counters available. However, one will work with either a silver foil and/or an indium foil as witness materials. Indium is useful as a neutron witness material as it will be readily activated by a neutron flux. This is what Parkhomov did for neutron detection. The activated indium is radioactive for a reasonable length of time, providing the opportunity for measurement after the exposure. In the case of strange radiation, my understanding it that it also causes activation - per some of the posts, it appears that Ag may be a good witness material for strange radiation. Ed Storms says that the strange radiation he has measured caused hours of activation.

• BobHiggins

I asked because if I recall correctly Alan Goldwater over the course of that experiment did have two identical regular GM detectors (I think GMC-320), but one of them was busy measuring counts in a different room, so this specific test couldn't be performed.

In a number of posts and comments made in the past it was thought that GQ GMC-320 detectors were not sensitive enough for detecting gamma radiation during LENR experiments, while the older GMC-300 model, which has a different GM tube window material, would be.

https://www.facebook.com/Marti…ct/posts/1129990227031675

https://www.facebook.com/Marti…/1130948560269175/?type=3

https://www.facebook.com/Marti…ct/posts/1132279306802767

https://www.facebook.com/Marti…ct/posts/1132400013457363

However, if this is actually due to strange radiation and if there indeed is some sort of interaction with detector materials (i.e. activation), then it's not really a matter of sensitivity and the seemingly insensitive GMC-320 could potentially be made useful too as suggested. It would have been interesting to show the difference with the detectors in both configurations operating at the same time.

• can I am not sure which test you are talking about. In some of Alan's earlier work, detection was based on the stock GMC-320 or GMC-320+. As time progressed, Alan changed out the detector tube for an LND pancake tube. It is the tube that determines the sensitivity and the modified GMC-320 with the LND pancake tube will be very sensitive. As far as I know, Alan only has one of these because the LND tube is expensive. The surplus SI-8B Russian pancake tubes are also quite sensitive, but are much less expensive ($60).

• The test I'm referring to is GlowStick 5.4. The detector used to detect gamma counts in a different room was the unmodified one.

http://e-catworld.com/2017/02/…tests/#comment-3138029753

Quote from Bob Greenyer

I discussed this with Alan and he wants to have the second GM 320+ in the office as a dosimeter.[...]

I didn't remember right away that one of them was semi-permanently modified, however. After reading that thread now I see that I suggested that the insensitive (standard GMC-320) detector be used with metallic foil near the reactor alongside the pancake tube equipped one.

I also wrote this at the time on LENR-Forum:

In reference to my previous comment, in the end MFMP agreed upon my request (I used a different nickname on E-CatWorld) to add a silver metal plate (a 2.3mm thick, 38.6mm diameter commemorative 15 euro coin) on the front of the Geiger tube window of one of their detectors. This should increase the chances to see beta decay reactions from muon capture significantly; Russ George also apparently used silver foil with success some time back.

In reference to Russ George as linked in the quote above here is a relevant excerpt:

Quote from Russ George

Once while running an experiment I happened upon a distinct highly reproducible radiation measurement. My Geiger Counter signaled the first hint of it and upon fiddling about with my “hey that’s strange” reaction to the enhance rate of Geiger clicks I managed to make the Geiger record vastly more counts, even saturating the detector. I did that by placing various different elementary foils between the source and the detector. Normally when one puts something in between a radiation source and a Geiger Counter the count rate inevitably goes down, not up. In my work a thin Silver foil sent the Geiger over the moon.

• can The pancake detectors are large. It would be possible to place a silver foil in front of a portion of the detector. Then if the radiation starts reading high, you can run, or pull out the silver foil and see the difference in the counts when the silver foil is removed. Ed Storms ran a similar set of tests to determine the characteristics of the strange radiation he encountered. He ultimately concluded that the strange radiation activated the mica in the window of his GM pancake tube.

• BobHiggins

That would also work, although the initial suggestion was in part motivated also by the context of automated testing that you've been setting up so far (in that whenever possible no manual intervention is made after the experiment starts).

On a related note, I think this paper describes some of those tests by Storms:

Nature of energetic radiation emitted from a metal exposed to H2
    Submitted to J. Condensed Matter Nuclear Science, Nov. 2012

Quote from page 12

[...] The radiation being emitted by the sample is proposed to result from a fusion reaction that produces coherent photons. These photons are proposed to react with K40 nuclei in the mica window of the GM to stimulate its decay by beta and gamma emission that is easily detected by the GM. Some of the energetic gamma from this decay can reach GM #2 and cause a slight increase in count, as shown in Fig. 13.

• Are you saying that he still could have something? Or was it simply that JeffRothwell was right in first place and me356 was blinded by excitement after his first results not seeing flaws on his measurements..

After Bob et.al. brought him more proper calorimetry maybe his eyes were opened and he understood to keep low profile until he gets real positive results.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.