Philosophical and Social Aspects of the Cold Fusion Controversy

• Official Post

You might find the attached paper, just received from Ludwik Kowalsi of interest, especially since it has been rejected by SA!. Ludwik is one of the old guard, born 1931, formerly Professor of Physics at Montclair University. A link to his many publications is (also) below.

Philospophical&social - CF..pdf

Ludwik said:- "The attached file contains my article, "Philosophical and Social Aspects of the Cold Fusion Controversy." It was not accepted by Scientific American. But its Polish translation will appear in the scientific monthly, Postepy Fizyki Jadrowej (Advances in Nuclear Physics) by the end of June 2017. Feel free to share the attached file with those who might be interested, or to use the content in any way you wish."

• Even though it is a multidisciplinary subject through a long tradition of academic intolerance, Cold fusion has been placed in the Physics/nuclear pigeon hole. These fields have been plagued by a long standing infestation of crackpotism. The authorities in these fields are the people who can make a living in them. These gatekeepers guard the purity of their doctrinaire as a exercise in survival. Open minded consideration of new ideas are viewed like an unhealthy practice that leads to susceptibility to a contagious disease: crackpotism. Any exposure to this highly contagious condition will eventually lead to the failure of your career in a fiercely competitive and cutthroat field.

LENR needs to gain acceptance from the bottom up. The top down approach to LENR acceptance will never take hold. When a LENR product hits the marketplace that everybody grows to depends on in their everyday lives is a major source of the production of profit, then LENR will eventually be accepted as a worthwhile idea. In this age of plutocracy, like everything else in life, making money is a sure path to acceptance, popularity, emulation and power.

Cold fusion has been placed in the Physics/nuclear pigeon hole. These fields have been plagued by a long standing infestation of crackpotism.

After reading some of your enthusiastic posts one should think of disservice to LENR community as well. In dense aether model the boundary reality becomes fuzzy mixture of dual perspectives (what some celebrate as an inspiration may be also misleading for others or even repelling serious applicants).

If LENR really does prove to be a viable energy source, and it takes off commercially, there should be a surge in workers needed to manufacture and install LENR power systems, and this could certainly add jobs to the workforce.

Of course that the adoption of LENR will open many jobs possibilities not just connected with LENR directly - but the future of inventions and findings is too often decided not by people who are waiting for their job - but these ones who already have it and who already profit from it.

Someone wrote:

If LENR really does prove to be a viable energy source, and it takes off commercially, there should be a surge in workers needed to manufacture and install LENR power systems, and this could certainly add jobs to the workforce.

I do not think so. The number of jobs lost in conventional energy systems will far exceed the number of jobs needed to implement cold fusion. Cold fusion is inherently less labor intensive than things like oil, coal or wind turbine electricity, for many reasons. For example, it does not need a fuel distribution infrastructure of pipelines, trucks, trains or electric power lines.

The number of jobs lost in conventional energy systems will far exceed the number of jobs needed to implement cold fusion. Cold fusion is
    inherently less labor intensive than things like oil, coal or wind turbine electricity, for many reasons.

Yep, this is also why it's ignored so obstinately by now. But once we get cheap nuclear energy, it will become a game changer in many areas including raw source mining/recycling and universe exploitation, which are still waiting for its implementation because of their economical infeasibility. Many new job positions will be created during it because it would allow human civilization to expand to another areas of continents and occasionally new planets. The another question is, if this paradigm change can be implemented during single human life, because the utilitarian criterion and motivation of most people don't exceed the human life timespan - no matter how promising they may look for someone. But without it we will destroy the life environment sooner of later anyway - so that we have no other option anyway. And I'm not talking about risk of global nuclear war which will become imminent once we cross the production peak of existing energy and raw sources.

• Yep, this is also why it's ignored so obstinately by now.

I do not think so. I think it is ignored because most scientists believe it does not exist.

But once we get cheap nuclear energy, it will become a game changer in many areas including raw source mining/recycling and universe exploitation, which are still waiting for its implementation because of their economical infeasibility.

I hope so. That is what I predict in my book. But these industries will, to some extent, replace existing industries. For example, recycling reduces the need for resource extraction. It does not necessarily expand the total amount of material consumed. A new industry based on cold fusion recycling will likely be energy intense with little employment. In my book on p. 53, I described one approach which was pioneered by a company called Molten Metal Technologies. I think the name tells you how it works. Unfortunately, that company went out of business.

http://lenr-canr.org/acrobat/RothwellJcoldfusiona.pdf

Primary resource extraction will also be more energy intense which I think usually means it is less labor-intensive. Energy can be substituted for labor in many processes.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.