Reducing Ni Powder and Inspecting It

• Regarding pressure vs. temperature (coil power really), below is a plot of an early test run I made. The x axis is time. Used an alumina tube. 2.5g of fuel and 15% of it is LAH. No pure Li metal included. No external H2 gas feed used. Pressure reached 40 bar. (Yes, I have needed safety precautions in place.)

Since I now have an H2 gas feed and vacuum pump too, I'm planning to vent hydrogen to not let pressure go above 10 bar. Also, for triggering via pressure drops, you need to vac out the gas and then later re-pressurize - so it seems like you can't let the LAH be the final control on gas pressure. You have to take over. Any thoughts on this?

• Pressure reached 40 bar. (Yes, I have needed safety precautions in place.)

Nice work Dan. You're probably aware of the MFMP "Bang" experiment a couple of years ago. We didn't yet have pressure measurement in place, and we did exceed the yield strength of a similar Alumina cell, with dramatic results.

Following that experience, I attempted to calculate the internal pressure from known physical parameters. I didn't consider the effect of hydrogen loading in the Ni fuel, but the calculation was a useful exercise. My report is available at https://drive.google.com/open?…xJkjesxe4kZEdjWnJ0QW9wME0

and the calculation spreadsheet at https://drive.google.com/open?…xJkjesxe4kTld3cXhyUDRibEU

Feel free to plug in the dimensions and fuel mass of your experiment for comparison.

• I didn't consider the effect of hydrogen loading in the Ni fuel,

Thanks for this magicsound. I found a spreadsheet I made about a year ago using the ideal gas law, and interestingly I came up with 4040 psi for .1g of LAH - pretty close to what you have. I have not had a chance to review your spreadsheet in detail yet.

The amount of hydrogen mass that the Ni can absorb when fully loaded is a surprisingly small. Hydrogen's content in a nickel hydride is only roughly .002% by weight. So 2g of Ni can only absorb .00004g of hydrogen. .1g of LAH contains about .012g of hydrogen - so the Ni can only absorb a minuscule amount of it. So I guess this says any loading will have only a small effect on pressure.

But if the above is correct, that creates a mystery: Why don't people see much higher pressures after the LAH melts? (... Perhaps as the pressure increases not all of the hydrogen in the LAH gets released.)

• BTE-Dan

I think the best answer to your question of why people don't see much higher pressures in the Ni+LiAlH4 systems is because they leak - either gracefully or explosively. Parkhomov had many failed experiments in his original doubly-glue sealed tube reactors - these were the ones that sealed well. The MFMP !Bang experiment exploded from high pressure. Because of this pressure issue, MFMP encouraged Parkhomov to measure his pressure. When he did, there were clear signatures of his tube leaking gas multiple times vs. pressure and temperature. What became clear after his report was that release of the high pressure was important as the XH occurred when the pressure was less than 1 bar absolute.

Also note that once LiAlH4 decomposes to LiH at about 190°C, it becomes a reversible hydride. Even once melted, the LiH will not release all of its hydrogen - there will be an equilibrium reached between H2 release and H2 re-absorption by the reversible hydride.

• I think the best answer to your question of why people don't see much higher pressures in the Ni+LiAlH4 systems is because they leak - either gracefully or explosively.

Some hints from other experiments: The best documented high COP LENR experiments all use very low pressure.

Lithium (7Li) has a very interesting nuclear band strucutre with a long living state, where as 27Al is deadly fast decaying. Thus if 27Al is in line with /Li the reaction will stop. If you are lucky only 7Li will react.

Using LiAlH4 as a primary LENR substrate other than a donor of Hydrogen will, in my view, not be very fruitful.

• One of LFH's customers (who must remains anonymous at his own request) Is getting some positive results using a very very slow ramp-up. 1C a minute or so all the way up to 1200C. This customer also does interesting stuff to intensify the field by wrapping an unconnected coil of oxidised wire (non-conducting oxide forms on the surface) around the fuel tube proper. The protocol demands a lot of careful temperature watching in the hotter phases to avoid melt-downs, apparently you have just a few seconds to switch off the heat and avoid a runaway. I wish I could tell you more, but sadly I don't know much more, and like Me356 this one is mostly 'dark'. I am not even sure what his fuel is, definitely none of mine.

This customer is probably LION on E-CatWorld. He's recently shared several pictures of a LFH tube that had an unconnected copper coil.

http://e-catworld.com/2017/07/…india/#comment-3431531424

According to him the role of the copper wire is to:

http://e-catworld.com/2017/07/…india/#comment-3431584687

aid muonic fusion,slight increase,but can be scaled in future experiments

And apparently it's not required for the reactor to properly operate. He also added:

by October I hope a HOT tube will be DEMONSTRABLE- Time will tell but it is on a good path. I am using a DATALOGGER from LFH from Alan and Sam and Team so if all goes well they will present the data gathered. At that time more information will be released, but it is still my hope to get to the CAVENDISH in Cambridge, before the end of the year.

According to earlier postings (March 2017) the fuel is "brewed", whatever that actually means.

https://disqus.com/home/discus…_hunf/#comment-3192964808

my fuel has been BREWED, over and over, I suspect like Andrea Rossi LUGANO fuel, it is not a simple shake and bake. However at some point this year i.e. 2017, I hope to provide sealed tubes containing my fuel to a few Science labs for Independent TESTING. It is my Hope that the first will be the Nobel Laureate Professor Brian Josephson Head of the Condensed Matter Group at the Cavendish Laboratory, Cambridge, England, UK. However, that is a conversation that I have yet to have with the good Professor. The next item on my agenda is to provide data-logger data, which I will do with Alan's help, hopefully before the end of May. You may have seen today on LENR Forum that Alan and Sam are off to Italy in June. I hope this goes some way to answering your question. It has always been my hope through my work to re-engage the mainstream scientific community in serious LENR research. I believe that is a duty we all carry.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.