BTE-Dan: Replication Attempt for This Week

• For a plasma lamp, a truly refractory tube is not needed. You just water cool the envelope because the envelope can be at a far lower temperature than the plasma. As I described in the case of the continuously pumped YAG laser, water cooled lamps have been done for many many years, including high and low pressure plasma lamps. If you are water cooling and expect to transmit UV, you better remove all of the metal ions out of the water.

• For a plasma lamp, a truly refractory tube is not needed. You just water cool the envelope because the envelope can be at a far lower temperature than the plasma. As I described in the case of the continuously pumped YAG laser, water cooled lamps have been done for many many years, including high and low pressure plasma lamps. If you are water cooling and expect to transmit UV, you better remove all of the metal ions out of the water.

The SunCell's mechanism for producing over unity energy is a self sustaining plasma that requires no external energy input. It sounds counterproductive to that reaction for it to be cooled. Cooling is applied to the solar cells that cannot operate at the ambient temperature of the self sustaining plasma. The function of this plasma is to produce extreme ultra violet light and not heat. In fact, most of the EMF coming off the this plasma are high energy photons. It is highly probable that the heat produced by the plasma is what produces and sustains the plasma.

Rossi also claims to be producing a self sustaining plasma.

In the solid state SunCell that has been described above in post 91, it is possible to thermally isolate the tube that is producing the self sustaining plasma using a vacuum formed between the inner and concentric outer BN tube. This outer BN tube completely encloses and thermally isolates the primary inner tube where the self sustaining plasma is being generated.

To apply this thinking to the SunCell itself as a design upgrade, the cooling system can be removed from the SunCell design if the solar cells are inclosed in a chamber made of boron nitride or some other translucent ceramic material that is kept in a vacuum to isolate the solar cells from 3000C heat produce by the plasma.

In the picture below, SunCell cooling system is labeled "Heat Rejection" and "PV Module Cooling". The car radiator, associated piping, electric fans, valves, and pumps can all be removed from the SunCell design by using insolation rather that heat rejection.

New%2BPicture.bmp

• The SunCell's mechanism for producing over unity energy is a self sustaining plasma that requires no external energy input. It sounds counterproductive to that reaction for it to be cooled. Cooling is applied to the solar cells that cannot operate at the ambient temperature of the self sustaining plasma. The function of this plasma is to produce extreme ultra violet light and not heat. In fact, most of the EMF coming off the this plasma are high energy photons. It is highly probable that the heat produced by the plasma is what produces and sustains the plasma.

axil: You seem to miss most content of Mills work. The word cooling and heat transfer are synonyms. The actual, first to be sold version of the SUN-CELL is just a heater, as I already said (my prognosis) a year ago. Mills generates XUV that is far brigther than the sun. It's even to strong (intense) for current available high-power PVC. SUN-CELL XUV is not 200nm is starting at 10nm.

The problem is, that even Mills might not understand, what really is going on in his machine. In reality he has a table top fusion reactor.

• About Piantelli or before Focardi it seems that Ni surface structure was important for XH, this is why to try to improve XH, then they sputtered Ni onto SS rod to create some nanostructures.

For my understanding it's also important, this is why i try to make the same. Below own last results we should need, from MEB, 2 days ago.

lenr-forum.com/attachment/2180/

You know Mr Suhas work and Me365 comments about "bubles"?:

https://steemitimages.com/0x0/…Dwq6gAejTnef7Fuc/0294.jpg

"Bubles" posibly mean ~200nm porous structure or what other they can be in that picture?

Anyway such foils is made by electrically deposition in "hydrogen plasma" and is ultrasonically stripped.

"Bubles" come that process, so are they from "ultrasonic peening", or?

It is know that "ultrasonic peening" for nickel powder make it hydrogen takeup same class as raney catalyst.

(Me365 old comments "atlest now I know how hydrogenate nickel" & "in these enviroments even 1L hydrogen can disappear..")

Ultrasonic bath type units have 1000-fold little power to make trick. Too mild conditions.

(basically ultrasonic peening is untested region in all public reports)

Have anybody ideas where get budget friendly ultrasonic horns and transducers suitable for "hard cavitation peening"?

(and process variables are lot, any ideas for specs that produce that 200nm region "bubles"?)

• Official Post

@David Fojt

Hi David. I looked into this very thoroughly. High energy US systems are expensive. I think a much cheaper route might be ball-milling - also known as 'tumbling'. The same system used for polishing rock samples, also used by firework makers to grind powders etc. There is (if you hunt for it) a lot of information in the literature about the effect of ball-milling on the performance of Ni catalysts.

Here's something that might just be good enough....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-…f0f20c:g:CR8AAOSwvzRXxrMc

• Official Post

@David Fojt

Sorry for a slow reply to your email...I personally have never done an analysis of the Parkhomov Ni Powder - thought there are analyses in Parkhomov's own papers I believe. Mine has never performed in any way differently from any other Ni I have tested. In other words, not! The small amount I had has all gone now, but I do have some Norilsk Nickel (same manufacturer) and plenty of micron-size carbon black - email me if you would like some.

ETA- here's some very recent comment from MFMP in analysis of ash from Parkhomov's KV3 reactor.

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I believe most of the evaluations of the Me356 reactor as a black box and the ECCO DC plasma reactor as a full open description should be completed by early June - testing is imminent. Let's set some expectations. The test of the Me356 reactor will only be a measure of COP - does it produce real XH? Me356 will not provide any additional details of how it works. In the case of Suhas' technology for his DC dusty plasma reactor, he has indicated that he will tell MFMP everything, including how the fuel is made. Suhas will also help MFMP build a replica reactor. Many of the details of his device have already been revealed. Measuring its COP credibly is a first step and that should happen by early June.

My personal goal is to see that the experiment you describe (truly repeatable, completely laid open) is produced. That's what it will take to get the universities involved. I personally believe we will not get the breakthrough in understanding of LENR until the universities are involved.

Thanks Bob. For the Suhas dusty plasma reactor, will you publish a list of equipment you need such as the ultrasonic equipment to do fuel processing? I might buy the same equipment to add to my set-up.

Fluidizing the fuel by coupling in an ultrasonic horn must get tricky given that the transducers can't handle high temperatures.

BTW, I witnessed the hydrogen "breathing" phenomenon for the first time on Saturday. I think I'll start another thread to give details. It was startling in that the reactor pressure dropped from 30 psi to a partial vacuum (~200,000 microns) in just a few seconds. The fuel pulled all of the hydrogen out of the reactor and a 6' steel feed hose. I had three different manufacturers' pressure sensors in place, and I saw all of them show the partial vacuum. Then within two minutes the pressure climbed back to 30 psi and in fact then to about 40 psi. I have the log file that I can plot and share for one of the sensors.

Now I know what me356 was talking about. The breathing is a real phenomenon. It's like an "instant hydride". I'm working on the calculations to see if it's even possible for the Ni to hold that much hydrogen assuming a 1.0 atomic ratio. Reading up on this.

• Are you sure BTE Can that hydrogen disappeared onto Nickel rather than by LIH recombinaison ? During this phenomenom i suggest you were à little above 950*, right ?

No way to know where it went. I assume Ni since there was a lot more mass of it compared to Li.

Coil was at 250W which gives 580 C in the fuel. Had just stepped power to 600W, but there was no time for the reactor to climb much in temperature.

• BTE-Dan

Suhas seems willing to supply details on everything and Bob Greenyer is keen to document everything. Suhas has been designing a single tube reactor for a customer and has said he will help design a replica single tube reactor for MFMP to replicate. Suhas had never seen lab analyses of his fuel. His objective in high power ultrasonic milling was simply to make his powders smaller particle size. BobG has obtained some samples and will get more and have each of these analyzed for particle size, morphology, and element composition. Nothing is being held back by Suhas, and, of course, MFMP is not holding back anything that they learn. The real first step, though, is to probe his reactors produce real XH. Suhas has been very responsive to questions.

One of my first questions was, how are the ultrasound transducers coupled to the reactor tubes? They are apparently hard coupled through, I think, stainless steel couplers that go through the water cooling area and contact the alumina tubes. It is not clear to me, but I don't think the stainless steel couplers are exposed to direct water flow, so they get hot. I am not thrilled by the design and I am designing my ultrasound fluid-ized reactor with water as the coupling agent to the reactor tube, and the reactor tube directly water cooled. As I have said before in a number of these threads, you can have plasma inside a tube that is cooled to room temperature - the tube does not have to be super hot or a refractory material.

The breathing phenomenon you describe is interesting. My understanding and the present thinking is that Ni simply cannot take-up much hydrogen - its lattice constant simply won't accommodate much. However, after LiAlH4 decomposes at about 200°C to LiH, the LiH is a reversible hydride and will undergo periods of hydrogen release and absorption as it is heated. I.E. it is not monotonically releasing H2 as it gets hotter. It may prove that in certain special conditions that the Ni will take up H2 contrary to conventional thinking. So, keep your eye on that phenomenon and please continue to report about it.

• Now I know what me356 was talking about. The breathing is a real phenomenon. It's like an "instant hydride". I'm working on the calculations to see if it's even possible for the Ni to hold that much hydrogen assuming a 1.0 atomic ratio. Reading up on this.

Theoretically Nickel has 10 valence electrons to bind Hydrogen. Thus if you can calculate the total surface of your powder and evaluate the number of surface Ni atoms, then if 10 X Number of Ni is > free hydrogen the story is explained.

The balance for NiH10 and other forms of hydrogen is very thin and thus the exact temperature (pressure) when/where the effect takes place would be interesting! Can you tell us T/P?

• Theoretically Nickel has 10 valence electrons to bind Hydrogen. Thus if you can calculate the total surface of your powder and evaluate the number of surface Ni atoms, then if 10 X Number of Ni is > free hydrogen the story is explained.

The balance for NiH10 and other forms of hydrogen is very thin and thus the exact temperature (pressure) when/where the effect takes place would be interesting! Can you tell us T/P?

Not sure I follow. Are you assuming that the H atoms are only absorbed on the Ni particle surfaces. If it is some new and unique phenomenon, why wouldn't H atoms be absorbed throughout the mass of each Ni particle?

Can't find much on NiH10. I see NiH and H2Ni. Are you saying that there is a nickel hydride with ten H atoms for every Ni atom?

The coil was at 250 W which gives 580 C in the fuel. Had just stepped power to 600W, but there was no time for the reactor to climb much in temperature.

• The breathing phenomenon you describe is interesting. My understanding and the present thinking is that Ni simply cannot take-up much hydrogen - its lattice constant simply won't accommodate much. However, after LiAlH4 decomposes at about 200°C to LiH, the LiH is a reversible hydride and will undergo periods of hydrogen release and absorption as it is heated. I.E. it is not monotonically releasing H2 as it gets hotter. It may prove that in certain special conditions that the Ni will take up H2 contrary to conventional thinking. So, keep your eye on that phenomenon and please continue to report about it.

The coil was at 250 W which gives 580 C in the fuel. I had the power steady there for 40 minutes. The pressure was holding constant at that point ( 1.8 bar). Regarding LiH, I'll have to compute if the small mass of Li could absorb that much H ( volume was the reactor plus a 6' hose). However, 580 C is pretty close to where Li can begin rapidly absorbing to form LiH.

When the rapid absorption occurred I had just stepped the power to 600 W, but there was no time for the reactor to climb much in temperature. The rapid pressure drop happened within seconds of stepping the power to 600 W. The transition from 1.8 bar to a partial vacuum took just a few seconds. The partial vacuum held for perhaps a minute, and then the pressure recovered slowly over several minutes. After a half hour the pressure reached 2.6 bar.

I guess if this hydrogen breathing concept is really just LiH reversing modes a couple of times as you pass through certain temperatures, all of this may not be important and it may be unrelated to LENR or XH. I know that me356 thinks they are related, but I'm not sure how he connected the two.

• Nice work ! How was your mix composition ? Rate between each element ? 250w to 600w Is a strong Step..how long you did for this ?

3g of Ni powder, .45g of LAH, .2g of pure Li metal.

The coil was at 250 W which gives 580 C in the fuel. I held the power steady there for 40 minutes. The pressure was holding constant at that point ( 1.8 bar). When the rapid absorption occurred I had just stepped the coil power instantly to 600 W, but there was no time for the reactor to climb much in temperature. The rapid pressure drop happened within seconds of stepping the power to 600 W.

• As far as I am aware of, hydrogen initially decomposes from hydrides at the very least in atomic form, so if a large amount of hydrogen can be composed and recomposed in a short period of time, that also means that atomic hydrogen can be provided quickly and in large amounts.

Furthermore, the possibility of formation of excited species of hydrogen during the process should be considered too:

https://www.researchgate.net/p…cies_using_metal_hydrides

• Yes Can,

probably the best explanation remains Hydride breathing therefore what saw BTE Dan remains strange too because it was a reverse hydride behavior.

Hello David,

If you increase the temperature at the edge of equilibrium (and for the same pressure) Lithium hydride decomposes LiH -> Li+ + H-. The description given by BTE Dan is going in the direction of a decomposition of LiH.

• Yes Can,
    probably the best explanation remains Hydride breathing therefore what saw BTE Dan remains strange too because it was a reverse hydride behavior.

Sorry, I was unclear. It was a possible answer to the question as for whether this behavior may or may not be useful for LENR.

• Can't find much on NiH10. I see NiH and H2Ni. Are you saying that there is a nickel hydride with ten H atoms for every Ni atom?

BTE-Dan : This state is transient as the Ni outer shells electrons (10 - 8,2) have many very close intermediate (ds hybridization) states which are stable too. Further on NiH10 would mean that Ni is no longer bound to the particle. You can find a good write-up about Nickel orbits in Mills GUT-CP page1339.

Can you give us the average particle size/weight/shape that we can calculate the surface? + The Volume of the H2 atmosphere

Of course the breathing can be also be happing with absorption by other metals. But the capacity/flexibilty of Ni ( surface only!!) is magnitudes higher.

Also the recombination of H-H to H2 reduces the pressure!, but then T-should increase immediately.

• Dear Arnaud,

If you increase temperature, yes, Lithium hydride decomposes LiH -> Li+ + H-. Therefore by this way, you should INCREASE pressure by H- releasing then it's the opposite that what has been observed BTE Dan.

My bad ... you are right this time ;) He found firstly a decrease of pressure not an increase. But we don't know how the Li was ... I mean alone or with H. From wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium_hydride : I quote "

LiH is produced by treating lithium metal with hydrogen gas:

2 Li + H2 → 2 LiH

This reaction is especially rapid at temperatures above 600 °C. Addition of 0.001–0.003% carbon, or/and increasing temperature or/and pressure, increases the yield up to 98% at 2-hour residence time"

The reactor was at 580°C, so if it crossed the 600°C threshold, a lot of LiH is formed from Li and H. Afterwards when the temperature increase further then LIH decomposes

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.