Clearance Items

• Alan Smith

A lot of this, not all, is about language. You make the case that university administration salaries are a large-scale drain on research at universities in the UK and Italy. I don't see how this functions as anyone holding someone or something "hostage" but I think that your particular choice of words should not obscure the point you are making.

I still disagree with you. Empire building, corporatization of university administration, and high salaries for the upper echelon of administrators are all real problems. It is just that they aren't the major factor in determining the quality or quantity of research at these institutions. Other, more important, factors are at play. Administrator's salaries and research-project funds in most Western countries come from different funding streams so decreasing money going to administrators does not increase the money funding scientists -- it might be a better deal for the public purse but it doesn't help the science.

One often hears or reads outraged commentary about the number of administrators outweighing the number of research staff at universities. But the truth is that, given the way these things are measured, a 50/50 ratio is about right. This is because "administration" usually includes everything from janitors to technicians to secretarial staff to librarians to university presidents whereas "research staff" does not include graduate students and postdocs who do a huge amount of the actual research work.

In my experience the primary factor controlling scientific productivity in universities is academics themselves when they decide who to hire into a department and when they sit on funding agency boards. Bad decisions in these roles, often resulting from nepotism, can quickly render a department unproductive. This has nothing to do with the number of overhead administrators or their salaries.

For what it is worth, the UK has historically punched above its weight in research quality. It still does. The Nature Index https://www.natureindex.com/co…rate/All/global/All/score lists the UK as 4th worldwide for the number of quality papers published in 2018. Given that the UK is nowhere near 4th in population in the developed world, this is a solid result. Italy, with about the same population as the UK stands only 12th in the number of quality papers published. Why? As far as I can determine, Italian Universities have about the same 50/50 ratio of administrative to research staff as the UK (I would be grateful if someone can dig out more on this) so it isn't that. Instead, Italy has a more closed and incestuous structure for hiring and funding. Low-producing faculty members are brought along because they are clubbable and then get stuck in the system (for instance see https://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/1810/1810.12667.pdf).

• Official Post

Lumping legitimate LENR researchers, and their *teams*, in with the likes of a Rossi, religious charlatans, or political figures, is what discourages most of the players in the field from posting here. They peek in to stay informed, but participating is just too risky for them. This is a good example of why.

We all have our one time rants. You had yours,...now back to your usual, reasonable, comments.

• Shane, if you were really concerned about how this site appears to legitimate LENR researchers, you would be looking very hard at the frequent overblown, pseudoscience rants by several regulars around here. Instead, they are treated as valuable contibutors which doesn’t exactly give the place gravitas. Sorry, but you can’t have it both ways.

• Official Post

Shane, if you were really concerned about how this site appears to legitimate LENR researchers, you would be looking very hard at the frequent overblown, pseudoscience rants by several regulars around here. Instead, they are treated as valuable contibutors which doesn’t exactly give the place gravitas. Sorry, but you can’t have it both ways.

They do not care about our "valuable contributors", or amateurs, who randomly mix and match scientific concepts, or build virtual LENR machines. More than likely they find it amusing, harmless and innocent. A good mental exercise perhaps, and something to be encouraged...because you never know what benefit they may bring.

They do care though about being slandered, ridiculed, stigmatized, lumped into the same category as Rossi, or L Ron, and the threat to their reputations of being drug through the mud.

• They do not care ...

They better should care.

Legimate researcher - in particular when they do research in an anyway controversial field - are well advised not to be lumped together with crackpots.

Here a nice tool for ‘rating potentially revolutionary contributions to physics’:

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/crackpot.html

Easy to use. For example:

10 points for each new term you invent and use without properly defining it 

“Lovely gammas” or “Rossi effect” comes in my mind, but actually, “Rossi effects” deserve 20 points, because of:

20 points for naming something after yourself. (E.g., talking about the "The Evans Field Equation" when your name happens to be Evans.)

• Official Post

They better should care.

Legimate researcher - in particular when they do research in an anyway controversial field - are well advised not to be lumped together with crackpots.

They are not "crackpots". They are just trying to piece together the LENR puzzle. I am sure the "non-controversial fields" websites, also have their own free spirits thinking outside the box. As long as they do not threaten reputations, they are free to roam there..although vigorously debated, as they are here.

• If you don't understand the definition of 'lovely', or 'gammas', there is very little hope for you.

I know what ‘lovely’ means, and ‘gammas’ very likely refers in this case to gamma radiation.

But you should understand, that a two word term often means something very different than the individual words.

An example for you... ‘smart-ass’

• “Lovely gammas” or “Rossi effect” comes in my mind

As for lovely gammas .. it was never meant to be a technical term

and was never written in a technical paper.

its quite appropriate for a blog or fora with a mixed ability readership

for me it meant that the gamma readouts from the nuclear isomers

were regarded with great affection by Russ George.

Who would sign off on a technical paper as Forty-Two?

• They better should care.

Here a nice tool for ‘rating potentially revolutionary contributions to physics’:

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/crackpot.html

I suggest to add :

38: your research is not reported neither by mainstream media nor by high "impact factor" journals.

• But you should understand, that a two word term often means something very different than the individual words.

An example for you... ‘smart-ass’

What a terrible example, as neither of those two words has its meaning changed by the other.

But then, I also doubt you could come up with a better example, as your initial point about lovely gammas was so ridiculous in the first place...

And on the topic, I don't belive Rossi has ever used the term 'Rossi-effect'.

So nul points all round, it seems.

• your initial point about lovely gammas was so ridiculous in the first place..

What are you talking?

I was talking about

10 points for each new term you invent and use without properly defining it

and “Lovely Gammas” appears to be a new coined term - just try and google “Lovely Gammas” (with the quotation marks). - You will only get a couple of hits, leading to

http://atom-ecology.russgeorge.net/tag/lovely-gammas/

(you see, “Lovely Gammas” is even a search tag on the atom-ecology site )

or to the “Androcles, The Hunt for Lovely Gammas is On” story

... and then there are this “Lovely Gammas”.

And on the topic, I don't belive Rossi has ever used the term 'Rossi-effect

Oh come on, are you really that uninformed.

Here some examples:

(And btw: The meaning of “smart-ass” is not “clever buttocks”)

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.