Clearance Items

• More reading .. apparently LENR research will outlast anonymous prophecy

Elemental Analysis for Elucidation of the Anomalous Heat Generation Phenomena

Mari Saito1, Takehiko Itoh1,2, Yasuhiro Iwamura2, Shoichi Murakami1 and Jirohta Kasagi2

1CLEAN PLANET Inc., Tokyo, 105-0022, Japan

2Research Center for Electron Photon Science, Tohoku University, Sendai, 982-0826, Japan

E-mail: [email protected]

It has been reported that anomalous excess heat was observed using some metal composite absorbed hydrogen gas [1, 2]. Nano-sized metal multilayer composites on Ni substrate and hydrogen gas induced heat bursts and excess energy generation. However, the reaction mechanism and the conditions to cause these phenomena to have not been cleared. To obtain the key factors to understand what is happening in a nano-sized metal multilayer composite, we have been studying on reaction products using various analysis methods.

Surface of the multilayer thin films on a Ni substrate, prepared by Ar ion beam sputtering method, was used as the nano-sized metal composite. Multilayer samples were absorbed hydrogen gas and conducted to heat up to 500~900°C. To understand about the surface states, depth profiles and mass spectra for before and after experiment samples, we performed to analyze each sample using scanning electron microscope (SEM)/ energy dispersive X-ray spectroscopy (EDX), transmission electron microscope (TEM) and time of flight secondary ion mass spectrometry (TOF-SIMS).

As a result, the surface states of the samples which were subjected to heating up to 500~900°C after hydrogen gas absorption were different from reference samples. The characteristic elements including C, O, Na, Mg, Al, Si, Zr, K, Ni and Cu were detected by SEM-EDX in a nano-sized metal multilayer composite sample that generated the anomalous heat. The sample was fabricated with Cu and Ni layers in 96 nm thickness. Also, the depth image of the sample with 96 nm layers of Cu and Ni indicated non uniform distribution for each element. We found that it did not remain the layer composition by the depth profile using TOF-SIMS.

On the other hand, nano-sized metal multilayer composites formed by Cu and Ni with CaO or Y2O3, which showed 103 ~ 104 eV order excess energies per hydrogen, indicated difference surface state. However, the behavior of Ca or Y derived from CaO or Y2O3 containing Cu and Ni multilayer by the depth profile using TOF-SIMS was similarly near the surface; they did not depend on each element. We guessed that any elements diffused through the similar process and interaction. To understand the relationships among anomalous heat generation, reaction products and elemental distribution, we will continue to examine using various analysis methods.

References

[1]Y. Iwamura et al., "Anomalous Heat Effects Induced by Metal Nanocomposites andHydrogen Gas", J. Condensed Matter Nucl. Sci. 29, 119-128 (2019).

[2]A. Kitamura et al., "Excess heat evolution from nanocomposite samples under exposureto hydrogen isotope gases", International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, 43 (33), 16187-16200 (2018).

JCF20-2

Low Energy Photon Measurements in Anomalous Heat Generation Experiments using Nano-sized Metal Composite and Hydrogen Gas

Takehiko Itoh1,2, Yoshinobu Shibasaki1, Jirohta Kasagi1,

Shouichi Murakami2, Mari Saito2 and Yasuhiro Iwamura1

1 Research Center for Electron Photon Science, Tohoku University, 982-0826 Japan

2 CLEAN PLANET Inc., 105-0022 Japan

E-mail: [email protected]

Since 2015, Tohoku University has established a division of Condensed Matter Nuclear Reaction, and has been conducting research on anomalous heat generation phenomena using hydrogen and nano-sized metal composite. As a result, we have succeeded in observing the anomalous heat generation phenomena that cannot be explained by the chemical reaction[1]-[2]. At the same time, it should be noted in the experimental results that no γ-ray transitions from reaction-generated nuclei, which are supposed to be caused by the nuclear reaction, are observed at all.

However, there has been little search for electromagnetic radiation in lower energy than 50 keV. If the novel nuclear reaction occurs, a region with very high energy density would be formed locally in the condensed matter. Then, expected are emissions of low-energy photons associated with energy dissipation from the local high-energy-density spot. The unexplored low-energy region is very wide; from the X-ray region, where electron bremsstrahlung and characteristic X-rays of the host metal can be expected, to the infrared region where thermally radiated photons are expected mainly. Of particular interest is the spectrum of the visible light, because it may indicate thermal radiation from a local high-temperature region (hot spot).

In previous experiments, it was impossible to observe such low energy photons, since the heat-generating nano-sized metal composite is shielded by the stainless-steel container; even if the low energy photons are emitted, we cannot observe them. Therefore, we made a vacuum chamber that enables photon observation from the infrared region to the X-ray region, and started measuring photons accompanying the anomalous heat generation.

Our experimental process is as follows. First, we use samples in which Ni / Cu nano multilayer films are formed on Ni substrates by sputtering. These are fixed on both sides of a ceramic heater installed in the vacuum chamber. After baking, we made hydrogen absorbed (200-300Pa, 250℃, 15 hours) to the sample. After that, we heated the samples up while evacuating the chamber, and induced anomalous heat generation. We measured the sample temperature with a thermocouple installed inside the ceramic heater and evaluated the heat generation by comparing it with temperature of a reference sample (Ni substrate without a nanostructure).

The following two instruments were installed for the measurement of low-energy photons. (1) For low-energy soft-X-rays (1keV-100keV), we made it possible to detect with an SDD detector (XR-100SDD; AMPTEK Inc.) through a Be window installed in the chamber. (2)For visible light measurement, a spectroscope using amp array CMOS image sensor(C12666MA; Hamamatsu Photonics K.K.) was installed, and the visible light transmittedthrough the viewport was guided to the spectroscope using a fiber so that the spectrum (340-780nm) could be measured.

Details of the experiments and results will be reported.

References

[1]T. Itoh, et.al., "Anomalous Excess Heat Generated by the Interaction between Nano-structured Pd/Nisurface and D2/H2 gas", J. Condensed Matter Nucl. Sci. 24 (2017) 179–190.

[2]Y. Iwamura, et.al., "Anomalous Heat Effects Induced by Metal Nano-composites and Hydrogen Gas",J.Condensed Matter Nucl. Sci. 29 (2019) 119–128.

JCF20-3

JCF20 Abstract Takahashi et al

Enhancement of Excess Thermal Power in Interaction of Nano-Metal and H(D)-Gas

Akito Takahashi1,2, Toyoshi Yokose3, Yutaka Mori3, Akira Taniike3, Yuichi Furuyama3, Hiroyuki Ido2, Atsushi Hattori2, Reiko Seto2, Joji Hachisuka2

1Prof. Emeritus Osaka University, 2Technova Inc., 3Kobe University

Latest results on anomalous heat effect (AHE) by interaction of binary nano-composite metal powders and H (or D) gas, after the NEDO-MHE project (2015-2017), were reported by our ICCF22 presentation and paper.

[See: https://www.researchgate.net/p…/Akito_Takahashi/research ].

Re-calcination of PNZ (Pd1Ni10/zirconia) and CNZ (Cu1Ni7/zirconia) powders was found to be effective for the enhancement of weeks-sustaining excess thermal power Wex. We report further results by additional calcinations and baking treatments in this paper. In Table -1, summary results for PNZ10, PNZ10r and PNZ10rr samples with D (deuterium)-gas are given. Detail of data will be shown in the meeting. Study by CNZ7, CNZ7r and CNZ7rr samples with H (light hydrogen)-gas will also be reported.

Table-1: Summary of AHE data for PNZ10 (1kg), PNZ10r (0.45 kg) and PNZ10rr (0.438 kg) with D-gas, by elevated temperature runs (r: second calcination, rr: third calcination),

(#2: after second baking, #3: after third baking)

JCF20-4

Irregular oscillation pattern during heat generation fromNi-Zr based alloys and hydrogen gas.

Masanobu Uchimura1, Masanori Nakamura1, Etsuo Akiba2, Rika Hayashi2, Kouji Sakaki3

1Advanced Materials and Process Laboratory, Research Division, Nissan Motor Co., Ltd.

2International Research Center for Hydrogen Energy, KyushuUniversity

3National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology

Kitamura et al.and Iwamura et al.reported they observed about several tens-watt anomalous heat generation and sudden rise of pressure and gas temperature using their original evaluation system when hydrogen isotope gas was introduced into the nano-metals [1, 2]. To apply this technologyto industrial products such as automotive heaters, further output power enhancement is required. However, there is no distinct strategy for higher output since relation of output to experimental parameters is unclear. The conventional evaluation system issuitable for long time and large scale experiment (several months and a few hundred-gram of the material) and it is hard to change experimental conditions frequently.

In this work, we investigated the relation of output to temperature, pressure,interval of data acquisition and gas atmosphere using partially oxidized Pd-Ni-Zr alloys (PNZ) and non-oxidized NiyZrxalloys with a differential scanning calorimeter (DSC) without exposure to air. In addition, sample structure and hydrogen storage property were analyzed using an in-situ X-ray diffraction (XRD) and pressure-composition isotherm measurement.

The DSC experiments revealed irregular oscillation pattern associated with heat generation was observed reproducibly using not only PNZ but also NiyZrxalloys. Additionally, we found the width of oscillation was increased as temperature increase or hydrogen pressure decrease. When we changed the gas atmosphere from hydrogen to inactive gas, the oscillation was terminated immediately. This indicates hydrogen in thegas phase is necessary to occur the oscillation.The change of sample structure and P-C-T isotherm suggest the oscillation relates a phase transition of metal hydrides.

References

[1] A. Kitamura et.al, "Excess heat evolution from nanocomposite samples under exposure tohydrogen isotope gases", International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 43 (2018) 16187-16200..

[2] Y. Iwamura et.al, "Anomalous Heat Effects Induced by Metal Nanocomposites and HydrogenGas", Proc. of ICCF-21, 3-8, June 2018, For-Collins, CO, USA.

• anonymous prophecy...from planet of A...... circa 2016 anno domini

eminently ignorable..and unprophetic

"

The last revival of the FF is destined to become extinct soon, perhaps with a certain media hype,

at the conclusion of the judicial affair between Rossi and IH. But this will not put an end to the deceptive sirens,

as shown by the latest issue of Le Scienze and the news of the NSA just posted above.

The topic of this post, which takes its cue from the juxtaposition of ITER and Ecat made in the GSE magazine, allows us to widen the nominal topic of your blog to any other energy mirage that has seduced men, leading them unaware into the Planet of Balocchi, with the final results that we all know. "

• All I will say is that I strongly suspect there are high density exothermic atomic/chemical reactions that we do not currently commercially exploit or talk about in mainstream textbooks. It would be foolish to claim that everything that isn't combustion, a normal battery, Hot fusion or Ur/Th/Pu fission is a lie or fake, that is the one thing i know for sure from reading and my approach to this wide topic. Maybe they were wrong, maybe it just was the worst possible working approach to get what they did! But there's something here and I would advise anyone here to not let naysayers detract or slow progress. Hopefully soon the dam will burst wide open and I'm sure some people will be verging on orgasm thanking God (like me), while others will be scrambling to sort out their assets. The funny thing is both sides will eventually enjoy it. All this to say it's the result that matters, i'm not emotionally attached to paths, a method that flows the path to open production or a climax is what matters. If F&P are wrong I am still grateful, they along with others opened a door of inquiry that I hope will never shut.

That is not a clarification. Stupid or fraudulent, which do you consider F&P to be? - they certainly did too many experiments for them to be merely 'wrong'.

Neither stupid nor (certainly) fraudulent. They were in love with their presumed discovery and were too desirous that it be true. Plus, the experimental results were tantalizing. I don't know exactly where they went wrong but I suspect they did and then were consistent about it. I have never seen any evidence whatever that they tried to deceive anyone for any reason.

• I don't know exactly where they went wrong but I suspect they did and then were consistent about it.

The only person that is wrong are you seven_of_twenty :

P&F has been replicated within 2 weeks by the US military. MIT took a bit longer and the group doing it decided to commit fraud and report a negative result. This is all well documented. The fraudulent MIT group straight ahead went to the military (asking them for money..) because they hoped to be in a unique position...

You should stop to believe our Russian friend Ascoli65 as he is associated to hot fusion and hopes he can eat public money until the end of his .. live.

• Official Post

I have been reviewing publications where Steven Jones was involved and one in particular called my attention. I was not so aware of his critic stance on excess heat reports, and his long quarrel with Miles about his Helium and neutron detection methods. But in this particular publication of 2006 he reports that he set up a lab on an underground facility to reduce background interference for neutron detection. The thing that struck me was his assumption that any neutron emission had to be isotropic, and that any anisotropy would imply a false reading. He said that in his new underground lab he still detected neutron bursts but not at will, and that he was considering to stop Cold Fusion research and start sonofusion (this was in 2006).

However, the isotopic demand of neutron bursts is what I think Jones got wrong, as Cardone et al have shown that the bursts are inherently anisotropic, and they used several methods, calibrated against standard neutron sources, to measure their ultrasound induced neutron emissions.

• It is really a pain to continously read W's outpourings of thousands of researches participating in a crime... such attitudes and accusations have no business being here. No good advertising for him nor the discussion on this forum.

• It is really a pain to continously read W's outpourings of thousands of researches participating in a crime... such attitudes and accusations have no business being here. No good advertising for him nor the discussion on this forum.

I will reluctantly agree, even though I find merit in his theories and do think they can hold water potentially. You SHOULDN'T consistently attack a large community of professionals who have the expertise, if convinced, to advance your proposal. They may have blinders on or may unwisely criticise and dismiss alternate approaches, but respect produces respect. Maybe a minority of hot fusion/CERN do believe there is more and intentionally suppress it, but generalizing is not a good practice. How you say the truth is important.

• Back to the main topic.

That is not a clarification. Stupid or fraudulent, which do you consider F&P to be? - they certainly did too many experiments for them to be merely 'wrong'.

Both definitions are unacceptable. Anyway, I'm not interested in judging people.

I'm here to discuss about the reality of CF/LENR phenomena. With this respect, I am only interested in understanding the scientific reliability of those scientists who claimed having produced such phenomena, starting from the fathers of this research field.

In order to assess this reliability, it's important to stick on single and well delimited facts and all their details. IMO, the most important fact for evaluating the scientific reliability of F&P is their "1992 boil-off experiment" and every detail included in the related documents: papers and videos.

Many details in these documents reveal, IMO, that F&P claims and conclusions were wrong, blatantly wrong. As for example, they misrepresented the timing of the dry-out of a cell, by shifting its real position on the time axis by more than 2 hours (1). It's really inconceivable how such a trivial mistake could have happened. It's even more incomprehensible to understand how it was possible that the same wrong graph could be repeated many times in the following years (2). Anyone interested in finding out the truth on CF should ask himself what this error, not the only one in their papers, does imply about the scientific reliability of F&P.

This is the only factual way to assess the reality of CF/LENR.

(1) FP's experiments discussion

(2) F&P's experiments – 30 years after CF announcement

• You should stop to believe our Russian friend Ascoli65

How can a formerly pro-patria Italian eccentric

who engaged in global musings on the website Fusione Fredda .... be Russian..???

AFAIK there has been no secret hot fusion btw Putin and Berlusconi

but maybe there has been a transmutation of Ascoli65 to Асколи65.

the avatar world is a mystery.

beyond mere mortal judgement

"Ascoli65 said: January 13, 2017 at 7:27 pm

@ Camillo, (Franchini)

- (Use unnecessarily unpleasant expressions in a comment where you claim that humanity is in trouble from an energy point of view. )

I apologize to you for the unpleasant harshness of some of my sentences,

but I was forced to try to overcome an impasse that by now made our exchange of views similar to a dialogue between the deaf.

However, this blog of yours is the only site left in Italy to deal with cold fusion.

It is not a small thing, especially if the FF(COLD FUSION) is not taken in its own right,

but it is considered for what it is,

that is the most absurd and ridiculous attempt by man to deceive himself about his ability to procure the energy

of which he needs to continue to benefit permanently from the comforts and luxuries deriving from the fortunate discovery of a treasure

hidden for millions of years, but alas in the process of exhaustion.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.