Clearance Items

• Further Information: Laura Wagner and Francis Neff are the senators for the College of the Environment at Western and are working hard to get students involved with the Huxley College of the Environment name change

If we erase the names of everyone we consider barbaric from centuries ago, there will be no one left. No building or institution will be named for anyone who lived more than 50 years ago. I am old enough to have known people born in the 19th century. World War I veterans. The daughter of slave holders, and the daughter of slaves. I lived in Japan and read and wrote in Japanese at a time when every middle aged person lived through World War II. They were bombed by the U.S. I lived near Hiroshima and knew people who were scarred by the bomb. Later I met Americans who worked on the bomb at Los Alamos, including the fellow who triggered the test. He worked on cold fusion. I knew Japanese ex-soldiers who fought Americans, and wished they had won, and Americans who fought Japanese. In short, I have seen the contradictions and moral ambiguity of life. And the futility and mindless cruelty of the past, and present. The atom bomb was, as Truman wrote in the margins of a book, "a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing" (quoting Macbeth).

Anyone who thinks that we are now perfected moral paragons has a screw loose. Look at the environmental disasters we are causing for no good reason, to no one's benefit. Look at the millions of people who are starving and don't have clean water. We could provide them all with food, water, education, the internet and COVID vaccines for a pittance. For a tiny fraction of the military budget. We could do this at a profit! But we do not, mainly because we are stupid.

Of course human nature never changes, but the past was very different from the present. It is a foreign country, as distant from our experience as Tokugawa Japan. That is a truism, but you have to read history and speak with old people to grasp it. To force everyone in history into our present, narrow world view is folly.

• If we erase the names of everyone we consider barbaric from centuries ago

The publicity about Huxley's racism apparently didn't reach James Watson in time..

Perhaps James Watson took his ethnological folly to heart

The Seattle people are not erasing the name of " everyone" everywhere

just Huxley off a building for students..

after all he never asked his name to be on it..

where he is I don't think he cares

James Watson Had a Chance to Salvage His Reputation on Race. He Made Things Worse. (Published 2019)
    The Nobel-winning biologist has drawn global criticism with unfounded pronouncements on genetics, race and intelligence. He still thinks he’s right, a new…
    www.nytimes.com

• All forums will attract obsessives, some more annoying than others. THH is at least civil, which is a good thing, though not always logical. He believes in the LEC results for example, but dismisses any suggestion that LENR is involved without offering any alternative suggestions for a mechanism that persists for years in the case of samples kept by Frank gordon.

The LEC is indeed a mystery - and I do not know how it works. But the same "could be" explanations that are used for LENR work for it, rather more easily.

My suggestion: lattices with interstitial H ions and the right surfaces can result in collective effects that boost typical few eV electronic energies in a lattice to 10s of evs and result in electron ejection from the surface. I mean - I don't know that could work. But equally I don't know it cannot work, and it is more plausible than any LENR mechanism, which I and you also don't know can work.

In reality I am not that arrogant - I expect in the end the mechanism will be simple - (this is boring suggestion #2) maybe local work-function induced emf coupled to nano-geometry than creates local very high fields and can eject ions. Note that the power needed is so very small that chemical energy would power this potentially for a very long time. The H plating gives lots of scope for weird things.

What do we need in this case for LENR to do it?

(1) a nuclear reaction (of some sort)

(2) the inevitable excess energy quanta must be fractionated into 100s of 1000s of particles. LECs have been minutely measured for highe energy particles of all kinds. Nor sure what the current limit is but its low enough that nuclear level energy needs to be distributed across a very large number of particles.

(2) is the killer here. For example, Storms' proposal for a new nuclear state of 4H that is relatively stable still emits radiation - enough to be detected in this case I suspect.

The LEC can be checked in detail to for lack of high energy products. And it is replicable. That makes it easier to put limits on what it could be than is normally true for LENR claims.

That does not mean it is uninteresting. It is fascinating, and whatever effect generates it could have other applications - who knows it might even make LENR easier. But it does not solve (2) above.

If you are already sure that type 1 LENR, like love in Spring, is in the air, then I guess you can use it to explain many anomalies. If you do that here you have an even tougher job of finding a mechanism because of the stronger than usual limit on any high energy particle production and the difficulty of coupling from MeV down to 100s of eV that Hagelstein highlights.

THH

• #2) maybe local work-function induced emf coupled to nano-geometry than creates local very high fields and can eject ions. Note that the power needed is so very small that chemical energy would power this potentially for a very long time. The H plating gives lots of scope for weird things.

I ruled out very disparate work function effects as much as anyone could - as does the just posted chinese paper in the LEC thread - by using similar metals. I also made this work with aluminium, which the literature will tell you needs a pressure greater than 100 bar to adsorb hydrogen. I didn't use plating at all so co-dep is also not required. Chemistry? what chemistry - there is little room for ox-redox in some of the systems I tested.

Mysteries remain. Ed Storms says he has seen direct low-energy electron emission but nobody else has -yet.

• There is a major difference between ITER type hot fusion and the Cold fusion reaction in terms of the generation of radiation and neutrons. The LENR reaction does not produce neutrons like hot fusion, so the neutrons from hot fusion will produce a broad spectrum gamma profile as the neutrons thermalize through cascade collisions with reactor plasma and structure. In hot DD fusion, there will appear sharp peaks in gamma radiation at the following peaks:

From my point of view, a person with the name "Axil" does not know physics... How can a person with the name "Axil" be so indignant - "this is not true" - he will say... But this is the kind of thing - he knows "old physics" and uses the dogmas of "old physics", but he does not know new physics - only new physics is able to explain why neutrons and gamma photons are not detected in LENR reactors ... Continue to be mistaken, but do not introduce other people into your "fornication" - this does not bring them any benefit - on the contrary, you harm these people.

• Anyways he still has Rossi beat by a country mile in every category.

You should have seen Magnegas safety videos before the company was sold and renamed. They had a magnegas cannister shot with a Barrett high power rifle in a firing range, with several camera angles and high speed photography. It doesn’t explode readily.

Found it:

External Content m.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

The last years of the company traded in the stock market with Santilli as CTO and his son as CEO were rather a colorful saga.

I certainly Hope to see LENR helping humans to blossom, and I'm here to help it happen.

• A tank full of compressed hydrogen would behave in much the same way. Renault-nissan performed very similar experiments with H2 around 10 years ago when investigating Hydrogen-powered cars.

Indeed, magnegas is officially almost 50% hydrogen.

However, the background story to this video was a controversial accident that killed two employees in a explosion at the magnegas plant and caused the stock to take a dive.

I certainly Hope to see LENR helping humans to blossom, and I'm here to help it happen.

• Interesting. Generally when you hear about explosions at gas plants it's because there's stray oxygen/air that was nor flushed out of the tank at the start. There was a company in the USA a few years ago where they were compressing stoichiometric H2/O2 from electrolysis. There were several explosions and the death of the owner's son from memory. The owner was severely injured too, but carried on untill there was yet another disaster. This is from memory, somebody here may remember the name of the company.

• Interesting. Generally when you hear about explosions at gas plants it's because there's stray oxygen/air that was nor flushed out of the tank at the start. There was a company in the USA a few years ago where they were compressing stoichiometric H2/O2 from electrolysis. There were several explosions and the death of the owner's son from memory. The owner was severely injured too, but carried on untill there was yet another disaster. This is from memory, somebody here may remember the name of the company.

Very sad when stuff like that happens.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.