Clearance Items

• Add to this that JR does not yet recognize the blatant errors contained in that same Levi's report:

Well, you have not pointed out any errors in that report. It has been a long times since I read it. I do not recall any, but perhaps I have forgotten. Anyway, if these errors you refer to are so readily apparent, please point out a few of them.

As you see above, Paradigmnoia found a 6% error in another report. You need to point to a similar technical error is this paper if you wish to back up your claim.

• Other than questions regarding the electrical measurements, that's about it.

The COP goes back to 5.6 or so from around 5, (when adjusted as above and the related daughter calculations are all accounted for), when experiment 1 is re-calculated using the same emissivity as determined (properly) in experiment 2.

• @ JedRothwell,

Well, you have not pointed out any errors in that report. It has been a long times since I read it. I do not recall any, but perhaps I have forgotten. Anyway, if these errors you refer to are so readily apparent, please point out a few of them.

Perhaps you have forgotten, or maybe you are training your rhetorical abilities.

In any case, you can see (again) in the following link the three major errors (probe, pump, and duration) in the report describing the calorimetry results of the demo of January 14, 2011:

https://www.lenr-forum.com/for…D/?postID=25650#post25650

The pump issue should be updated as explained in this other link:

Prominent Gamma/L 0232 Flow Rate Test

As you see above, Paradigmnoia found a 6% error in another report. You need to point to a similar technical error is this paper if you wish to back up your claim.

As explained in the first link, the combined error in the Bologna report is, as a minimum, 1500% for the power, and 3000% for the energy.

• Perhaps you have forgotten, or maybe you are training your rhetorical abilities.

In any case, you can see (again) in the following link the three major errors (probe, pump, and duration) in the report describing the calorimetry results of the demo of January 14, 2011:

https://www.lenr-forum.com/for…D/?postID=25650#post25650

I have forgotten, or I never read that. I am not familiar with this. I shall study the message and the claims.

I do not recall much about this paper, so perhaps you are right. I have studied this other paper more recently and with greater care:

http://lenr-canr.org/acrobat/LeviGindication.pdf

Have you found any significant errors in it?

• @ Shane D.,

I think UOB has survived Rossi with their reputation intact.

Yes, fortunately. For many years, UniBo has occupied one of the top 3 positions in all rankings of Italian universities, and is often the first ever. The Department of Physics also enjoys a great position among all the other departments. In world rankings they are usually between 150° and 250°. Not bad. However, there is ample room for improvement for the oldest university in the western world.

I believe that the admission of any errors by scientific institutions can help to improve their reputation. As an example, we can consider another glaring case like that of superluminal neutrinos in which the authors took into account the objections raised about their first results, which they then corrected, explaining also the reasons that led to the error. I believe this behavior has increased the public's confidence in those institutions, because scientists are not required not to make any mistake, but to recognize and correct their mistakes as soon as possible.

There is another advantage. The firm request of universities to their members to promptly correct their own mistakes would discourage those people who intend to use their names for inappropriate purposes.

• @ JedRothwell,

I have forgotten, or I never read that.

I don't know. For sure you had already quoted it.

Jed Rothwell on an Unpublished E-Cat Test Report that “Looks Like it Worked”

I have studied this other paper more recently and with greater care:

http://lenr-canr.org/acrobat/LeviGindication.pdf

Have you found any significant errors in it?

I can't say, sorry. I have already explained you many times the reason why I never took into consideration the Ferrara and the Lugano reports. For example here:

Rossi vs. Darden aftermath discussions

It's impossible to evaluate the correctness of a scientific report having doubts about the reliability of every single data or statement written in there.

• @ JedRothwell,

The fact that I am quoted in a document is no indication that I read that document.

Which document are you talking about?

The subject of your previous reply (*) was a comment of mine (1), which was the last thing quoted by you. Immediately thereafter you did write "I have forgotten, or I never read that."

I just reminded you that for sure you did read my comment (1), because you quoted it in your reply (2).

Unless you are implying that you are able to reply a comment, without reading its contents!

(*) Clearance Items

(1) Jed Rothwell on an Unpublished E-Cat Test Report that “Looks Like it Worked”

(2) Jed Rothwell on an Unpublished E-Cat Test Report that “Looks Like it Worked”

• @ bocijn,

Sounds very much like prior bias to me. did you actually read it?

If you refer to one of the two hot-cat reports signed by Levi, the Ferrara's and the Lugano's reports, yes, I read them both, just one time, immediately after their respective release. In doing that I had for sure a strong prior bias, a negative one, with respect to their leading author, due to the prior examination of his 2011 report on the calorimetry of the Bologna's demo.

What mostly struck me in the hot-cat reports was the adoption of a calorimetry technique based on the Stefan-Boltzmann's law. This method was already used by Celani and, after he presented his results in mid 2012, I already had the opportunity to see how it allows to exponentially multiply the effect of any mismeasurement.

So, I decided not to waste my time any more in examining those reports.

• Maybe you can listen to this music. I love Grieg so much.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Interesting that Celani used this same method. it is in fact perfectly good when used with surfaces that approximate grey bodies, or when properly calibrated at temperature. It is just that alumina is unusually (strikingly) temperature dependent in its total emissivity and has strongly non-grey-body characteristics that hit IR temperature measurement particularly badly.

If Celani followed good practice IR measurement protocol, calibrating surface temperature against camera reading at all the temperatures used, I see no problem using this method.

You could say that because it is indirect it requires a bit more care to get right than many other techniques, especially because the effective radiant surface area requires some care when estimating, with proper accounting for self-absorption and re-radiation. That estimate again needs at temperature control, or very great care.

• I think the point that Ascoli was making (an obvious one) is that the measurement is one of temperature and the calculation of power and energy is a fourth power function of the temperature. Thus, any small error along the way, from the thermal camera itself or because of errors in calibration or emissivity assumptions, those errors are magnified to their fourth power in the result. It is a shitty method, in fact, if you have anything else. And, as I noted many times before, there is something else MUCH better -- a fluid cooled calorimeter which can be operated at the same temps as the hot cat,

https://gsvit.wordpress.com/20…te-calorimetria-a-flusso/ (use Google translate, it works fine with this paper)

Finally, again it needs to be noted, to prove that Rossi and Levi really have a discovery instead of a scam, all that is necessary is to rerun the experiment which gave the best results ever for an ecat -- the one by Levi which, sadly, he refused to give raw data for and refused even Dr. Brian Josephson email request to repeat with proper calibration and documentation. Odd that Levi would do that and not even reply to Josephson, don't you think?

http://www.nyteknik.se/nyheter…energi/article3108242.ece

IMO, all of the above casts huge doubts about Levi's credibility. If you think not, why not?

I only recycle this because I keep hearing how persuasive the hot cat is and in particular, Levi's report about it. And that keeps getting recycled.

Jed doesn't see any errors in Levi's results but other people see lots of POTENTIAL errors. And of course, nobody other than Levi, Rossi and perhaps Penon, had access to the power input system and the output power measurement devices. The credibility of the papers relies on the credibility of the participants.

• @ THHuxleynew,

Interesting that Celani used this same method.

That's probably where the idea of switching from the LT Ecat to the HotCat came from.

it is in fact perfectly good when used with surfaces that approximate grey bodies, or when properly calibrated at temperature.

A method that gives you an estimation of the heat flux proportional to the 4th power of temperature is only good for mixing up the results. Just the switching from a LT device and a mass flow calorimetry, to a HT device and such an indirect method, is quite suspicious.

If Celani followed good practice IR measurement protocol, calibrating surface temperature against camera reading at all the temperatures used, I see no problem using this method.

Celani used a few thermocouples placed on the glass tube of his cell. His method was even more simple and direct than using an IR camera. Notwithstanding, MFMP got a lot of problems when they tried for a couple of years to replicate the Celani's results using his method. At the end they decided to build a mass flow calorimeter.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.