Rossi vs. Darden aftermath discussions

• Ay, chihuahua...it's going to be a long 3-4 years. Like going back to 2011 and starting all over, but this time knowing how it will end. Only difference is a name: 1MW then, QX now.

More unsupported negative speculation from the get Rossi crowd. Rossi has stated he will demonstrate the E-Cat QX this year. He has always kept his word on doing demonstrations in the past.

Do you favor the consensus based, multi-billion dollar, "proper" R&D of hot fusion? The BBC points out that the hot fusion demo has been pushed back to 2054. http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-40558758

Or is it that you are clueless about how long it takes to develop a new technology?

• More unsupported negative speculation from the get Rossi crowd. Rossi has stated he will demonstrate the E-Cat QX this year. He has always kept his word on doing demonstrations in the past.

Do you favor the consensus based, multi-billion dollar, "proper" R&D of hot fusion? The BBC points out that the hot fusion demo has been pushed back to 2054. http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-40558758

Or is it that you are clueless about how long it takes to develop a new technology?

It may indeed be that Signor Rossi demonstrates something this year.

If so, it will be interesting to see whether or not it will be open to close observation and whether it will involve some sort of control run. No one in their right minds will accept claimed positive results if there is no contemporaneous control; lacking, say, some necessary fuel component, but otherwise treated exactly the same as the properly fuelled item.

Standard scientific practice. Would anyone here accept a positive result in the absence of such a control?

• Official Post

More unsupported negative speculation from the get Rossi crowd. Rossi has stated he will demonstrate the E-Cat QX this year. He has always kept his word on doing demonstrations in the past.

Adrian,

I follow, and comment on all LENR developments. I have become a Rossi skeptic, but still am hopeful about the rest of the field. Not a hot fusion follower, nor fan, nor advocate...it's always 20-50 years from now.

As to "how long it takes to develop a new technology", Rossi touted the Ecat as developed, and ready for market as early as 2011. The 28 Oct 2011 was a customer acceptance (DD) test. The customer deemed it a success, and signed a form to that effect. Shortly afterwards, Rossi claimed to have sold more 1MWs.

When IH came along, Rossi represented his Ecat as a mature, certificated, developed product ready for market. He claims also that Doral was a success, having worked for 350 days at a COP >50.

If we go by Rossisays, as his remaining fans do, then the 1MW needs no new development and is ready for market NOW. Yet, Rossi has said his customers do not want it, and want instead the QX. Odd, because the QX is the one in the R/D phase, not the 1MW. So why would a customer prefer something still in R/D, when they could have something right now that has been on the market, and working well for 5 years?

• Official Post

Do not get too excited if Rossi does a demo in Oct.:

1. Gerard McEk July 11, 2017 at 3:39 PM

Dear Andrea,

It seems that now you, being back from court, move forward much more quickly.

“E-cat QX, prototype, new production method, demo in October”, it surely gives us the feeling you are moving full speed ahead and we are all very pleased with this.

Just a few questions, if you allow me:

1. Has the way in how demo is to be done changed or still as planned in the past?

2. What power level will the E-cat QX prototype be?

3. The ‘new production method’: is that related to a. Fuel, b. The reactor housing, c. Assambley of housing and fuel, d. Producing clusters?

Thank you for answering our questions.

Kind regards, Gerard

PS: I hope your relation with your wife didn’t suffer since you won a tennis game?

2. Andrea Rossi July 11, 2017 at 5:30 PM

Gerard McEk

1- as in the past

2- to be decided

3- all of them

Warm Regards,

P.S.

He,he,he

• @Adrian Ashfield

What hot fusion has or has not accomplished has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not Rossi is lying. Logical error to think it does.

Here is the Rossi time line... you don't think 10 years is long enough, considering the claims about progress along the way?

2007 Rossi says he heated an entire factory by replacing it's steam boiler with an ecat boiler

2011 Levi tests a steam temp ecat and gets yp to 135kW peak and appx 20kW steady state for hours from a baseball sized device with a "COP" (output power divided by input power) of 10 to 20.

2012 Rossi demonstrates a variety of ecats which make around 10 -15kW, are larger, and have a COP of 6. Rossi claims that the COP of 6 is a throttle down for safety.

2015 The Swedish scientists results including the so-called Lugano experiment yields a COP of 2-3 and a power out of around 2.5kW. Actually, Thomas Clarke analyzes these results, does the math and publishes a document showing that the most probable COP is 1.0 or less and that the Swedish scientists used a wrong number for the emissivity of the hot cat.

So here is progress, Rossi style: ever diminishing claims for COP and power. Wonderful, isn't it? In 10 years. And time will tell? What do you think it will tell and why do you think it, Adrian?

(the above is essentially a copy of a Disqus post I made 2 years ago since when things have only gotten radically and dramatically worse for Rossi's prospects since his one and only true customer has repudiated Rossi's claims and was prepared to go to court about it)

• 2011 Levi tests a steam temp ecat and gets yp to 135kW peak and appx 20kW steady state for hours from a baseball sized device with a "COP" (output power divided by input power) of 10 to 20.

Hello everybody I'm back after being banned only the administrator knows why..... I have never insulted anybody I presume.

Dear Mary...... the data you report have never written by Levi in a official technical paper I presume that that one was only one of the many preparatory tests scientist do before making a more complete experiment.

Also in your timeline you make a lot of con-fusion mixing up different technologies and experiments. There are also many points missing probably because they are disturbing you. and also:

Thomas Clarke analyzes these results, does the math and publishes a document

That's quite ridiculous. Are you sure that the TC paper was correct ?

In fact it was not. The TC paper and also his long posts were containing a swarm of errors that were masked by mathematical smoke and were only demonstrating that TC had a precise agenda. Not very scientific I would say,

I'm sure that all the Professors ant the colleagues that have seen the report have also the ability to analyze the data.

And the fact that the Swedish group has an ongoing activity on that topic means that the Lugano Report was not so bad.

• He doesn't mean "as in previous tests", he means "as described previously". IIRC this included calorimetry with no phase change.

• (the above is essentially a copy of a Disqus post I made 2 years ago since when things have only gotten radically and dramatically worse for Rossi's prospects since his one and only true customer has repudiated Rossi's claims and was prepared to go to court about it)

We all know you from a much longer time, Your posts are almost always equal.

BTW as usual and equal in all your contributions you distort the facts. Was Rossi to sue IH and Darden first. Not the reverse.

• Re timeline. So when Levi reports extraordinary results you say it is just smoke - not to be taken seriously? Which of the 15+ Rossi demos then should be taken seriously? Is Penon a better reporter than Levi, or similarly afflicted?

Re TC paper swarm of errors. Please mention just one. I'll check your workings. I suspect you are talking out of your hat since TC's paper has been much discussed here and many (including those better qualified than you) have tried and failed to shoot it down.

• As proof of the argument that VC/s "are are very suspicious bunch and are not easy to fool" I point you to Juicero, Webvan ("founded in 1999 as an online grocery store, delivering goods (including perishables) to doorsteps across the US. Accord to C-Net, “Webvan went from being a $1.2bn company with 4,500 employees to being liquidated in under two years;” eToys.com (an online toy marketplace) lasted for a few short years before closing its doors; Pets.com and, just for the heck of it, Uber, which is losing more money every day and which has no plan for becoming profitable.

Dear Mary...... the data you report have never written by Levi in a official technical paper I presume that that one was only one of the many preparatory tests scientist do before making a more complete experiment.

ROTFWL! Of course not! Levi's main published papers are about coffee brewing.

We all know you from a much longer time, Your posts are almost always equal.

BTW as usual and equal in all your contributions you distort the facts. Was Rossi to sue IH and Darden first. Not the reverse.

Glad you mentioned that because I have been thinking about it. My theory on the lawsuits is that Rossi realized that Darden was pissed off because he'd spent $10+ million and had received NOTHING of any value. Certainly, he never received a working reactor of any sort. If he had, he'd be happy to develop it and make his billions. God knows, he had the resources for development of virtually anything that worked in high power LENR.

So, in my theory, Rossi realized that Darden was very angry and was about to unleash a law suit or perhaps even a prosecution for fraud. So he sued first. Audacious but very risky except that by now, Rossi has only his condos to lose. The reason Darden dropped the countersuit was almost certainly that he could not predict the outcome of the trial, trials and juries being what they are. In highly technical topics and with the issue being narrowed mostly to a contract dispute, Darden just could not risk *$300 million* even if the chance of that sort of settlement (and it sticking on appeal) was comparatively small. It was never completely negligible and it was too large a risk to take. I am sure Darden was furious about it but it was all he could do.

So Rossi's final audaacious gamble paid off for him. He is one lucky crook. The main question remaining is whether anyone with money will be stupid enough to fund Rossi again. Judging from the collection of completely inane (ranging all the way to insane) comments on e-catworld.com, he may actually find more investors. And they will get what they deserve! Sort of a fiscal Darwin's Law.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.