Rossi vs. Darden aftermath discussions

• I don't think the presentation of QuarkX will be done by a third-party (if this is what you mean for "close observation"). Rossi will present the new reactor to the public and, whenever possible, he will sell it. Users will told us whether it works or not.

I don't believe anyone will buy anything from Signor Rossi in the future without cast-iron proof that it works as claimed

Would you? - in fact would you buy ANY heating device from ANYBODY without a guarantee? If so, your money deserves a better home than with you!

And if the Quackex works, how better to publicise it than to have credible 3rd-party verification?

• Many people here say that Darden had overwhelming evidence against Rossi, but when we talk about the settlement, this apology often comes out: "with a jury you never know how it can end, so Darden has chosen the least risky way". The two things can not coexist: if Darden really had such obvious evidence, he had nothing to fear from the jury. If he was afraid of them, he was not sure of his own reasons.

I am going to assume that Darden has lawsuit insurance in which case he would not be out any more money (for lawyers) if the trial continued. However, He would still suffer a loss of time and damage to his reputation if the lawsuit continued. In the case of time, potentially 3 years of time, likely at least a year. Darden likely took these into account and decided the settlement was worth taking.

• I am not sure whether I admire or pity the people who continue to argue with Rossi believers about technical, factual, or even logical matters. They are going to believe Rossi no matter what happens. It is more productive to argue with rocks.

Well, given that you are still here, you must have your doubts about your position. And you think the psychology of the matter is interesting? I'll agree with you there. Because what strikes me as super interesting is the psychology of the pseudoskeps who deny evidence that is repeatedly placed before them. It's as if the sun never shines for them, even though we know the sun comes up every day. It's that bad.

• I am going to assume that Darden has lawsuit insurance in which case he would not be out any more money (for lawyers) if the trial continued. However, He would still suffer a loss of time and damage to his reputation if the lawsuit continued. In the case of time, potentially 3 years of time, likely at least a year. Darden likely took these into account and decided the settlement was worth taking.

IH didn't really lose anything anyway, other than a relatively small chunk (to them and their kind) of money, and it's OPM (other people's money) which investors knew was at risk when they gave it to them. They knew the $10M was gone, and probably wouldn't have tried to claw it back, due to some bad judgement and poor due diligence. But then Rossi had the unmitigated gall to attempt to "bluff" them into handing over yet more, for his bag-o-nothing. So, Rossi got cold feet (in south-florida summer, no less, guess he needed a couple of Quack-X's stuffed in his socks) when actually having to prove his case (after all, there was repeated droning here by the Rossi Brethren, that his stuff absolutely worked, and he would get his $89M in court, and that was why the genius filed suit), and is out a few million in lawyer fees, and a large amount of his dubious behavior, wild unsupported claims, technical malfeasance, etc. made public in forums and disclosures. The counter-suit was merely to up the ante on Rossi, and he folded like a house of cards (a few million poorer, and reputation in (more) shambles). Guess Rossi has gotten away with so much for so long (eg $10M), he was overly-emboldened--self-delusion and overconfidence can be dangerous.

• To take a topical example, you certainly would not be able to come to any view about whether AGW exists or not, since both sides are argued.

I've noticed that those inclined to support Rossi take any of the very many strongly negative points relating to his tests and play this uncertainty card. Ele was doing it above. Adrian here does it continually. Tolerance is a great good, but tolerance of deceit or falsehood is not good.

Strikes me as funny that you can take a neutral view of AGW (where the evidence clearer than for LENR) and yet are so certain about Rossi, Lugano, etc. You might note Tom Clarke believes in the IPCC reports implicitly - Yet they exaggerate the effect of CO2 by more than 2 times. I have had many debates with him in earlier years.

Your comment on my "tolerance" shows you failed to understand what I wrote. What I warned about was people like you jumping to definitive conclusions before sufficient information was available. In order not support "deceit or falsehood" you first have to know that it is. In my opinion nobody knows yet.

I could go on at length about IR cameras my team worked with one for a year measuring glass and forming machinery temperatures but it would be a pointless debate. You go on about some factors that are of small importance and entirely miss others. Short of repeating Lugano we won't know the COP with any accuracy.

• Ay, chihuahua...it's going to be a long 3-4 years. :) Like going back to 2011 and starting all over, but this time knowing how it will end. Only difference is a name: 1MW then, QX now.

Still do not understand why the 1MW is obsolete now.

The 1MW reactor is not obsolete, the component that produces the heat for it is flawed and must be replaced. Rossi's old tech has a problem similar to the problem that exists in nuclear power plants. Sometimes the reactor melts down. Rossi does not want to put this flawed product on the market. Rossi has solved this problem in the Quark QC. Now he is replacing the wafer with the Quark QX in his 1MW design. When Rossi gives his Quark QX demo, he will be ready to go into mass production of the 1MW Quark QX reactor knowing that it is passively meltdown protected. It's the same motivation of a manufacturer of would not chose to put a aircraft on the market that would occasionally failed because it had inherent flaws?

• I am not sure whether I admire or pity the people who continue to argue with Rossi believers about technical, factual, or even logical matters. They are going to believe Rossi no matter what happens. It is more productive to argue with rocks.

That is why I quit arguing with them. You can't persuade a stone, no matter how much reason or evidence. It will remain a stone.

• IH didn't really lose anything anyway, other than a relatively small chunk (to them and their kind) of money, and it's OPM (other people's money) which investors knew was at risk when they gave it to them. They knew the $10M was gone, and probably wouldn't have tried to claw it back, due to some bad judgement and poor due diligence. But then Rossi had the unmitigated gall to attempt to "bluff" them into handing over yet more, for his bag-o-nothing. So, Rossi got cold feet (in south-florida summer, no less, guess he needed a couple of Quack-X's stuffed in his socks) when actually having to prove his case (after all, there was repeated droning here by the Rossi Brethren, that his stuff absolutely worked, and he would get his $89M in court, and that was why the genius filed suit), and is out a few million in lawyer fees, and a large amount of his dubious behavior, wild unsupported claims, technical malfeasance, etc. made public in forums and disclosures. The counter-suit was merely to up the ante on Rossi, and he folded like a house of cards (a few million poorer, and reputation in (more) shambles). Guess Rossi has gotten away with so much for so long (eg $10M), he was overly-emboldened--self-delusion and overconfidence can be dangerous.

No matter how you look at this,

IH got conned out of $10,000,000 by Rossi.

I say good for him,

• No matter how you look at this,

IH got conned out of $10,000,000 by Rossi.

I say good for him,

Are you also pleased that there no support for the ICCF conference and it may have to be cancelled? Do you say "good for Rossi" because other researchers are no longer funded and have to give up?

You are celebrating the fact that Rossi has probably killed cold fusion. Why? What's the matter with you!?

• @Jed,

I was always a bit skeptical that IH would follow through on their ICCF promises. And if fingers are to be pointed for any supposed lack of LENR funding, they should be pointed at IH as much as Rossi. Anyway, the ones that matter are funded.

• Official Post

The 1MW reactor is not obsolete, the component that produces the heat for it is flawed and must be replaced. Rossi's old tech has a problem similar to the problem that exists in nuclear power plants. Sometimes the reactor melts down. Rossi does not want to put this flawed product on the market.

Axil,

So why has Rossi not told us of this flaw before? He has represented the Ecat all along as ready for market, so if you are correct, you must have to admit he lied....right? And if what you are saying is right, maybe it was a good thing he was lying, because if he actually sold a 1MW to a customer as has claimed numerous times, and it melted, igniting the factory and burning it to the ground, and maybe the occupants also...well, he would be in jail.

Surprising too that the Doral warehouse never burned to the ground during the 365 day run, with 108 little Ecats, and 4 BFs with no telling how many Ecat units within each, running 24/7.

• As of 2016, the total price of constructing the ITER experiment is expected to be in excess of €20 billion. This cost is just to see if hot fusion is possible. When costs of research are put into perspective, it seems prudent to give Rossi an opportunity to show the feasibility of non fission nuclear reactions using his own money especially when Holmlid has also shown these reactions are occurring in peer reviewed experimentation. Why shut Rossi down? In this life, success is never guaranteed, It's just the possibility of success that is meaningful and that possibility should never be suppressed.

• Official Post

As of 2016, the total price of constructing the ITER experiment is expected to be in excess of €20 billion. This cost is just to see if hot fusion is possible. When costs of research are put into perspective, it seems prudent to give Rossi an opportunity to show the feasibility of non fission nuclear reactions using his own money especially when Holmlid has also shown these reactions are occurring in peer reviewed experimentation. Why shut Rossi down? In this life, success is never guaranteed, It's just the possibility of success that is meaningful and that possibility should never be suppressed

Ay, chihuahua, you not only changed the subject so as not to respond to my post, but also play the "why shut Rossi down" card. That is worse than Ele playing the Italian race card! :)

Rossi is not shut down BTW, and seems pretty happy getting back to what he loves best...lying, making shit up and selling hope for a better future. :)

Take care

• Jed.

What happened to the $50 million from Woodford?

You also stated the E-Cat QX didn't even exist. I'm looking forward to seeing you backpedal around October.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.