Prominent Gamma/L 0232 Flow Rate Test

• Official Post

The 1 MW plant has been long tested, as you say, and during the Doral test Rossi was able to refine his technology by overcoming some of the problems that have been arose in the plant. The fruit of all of this is QuarkX, a better product than the others made before. Do not bet everything on that would be absurd.

SSC,

After this, it would be better if you reply on the Rossi thread. Let AF have this, his own dedicated thread. He deserves it for his efforts.

As to your comment: The 1MW is already a refined product. Rossi has spent 10 years perfecting the individual Ecat units, and with the help of Fabiani, cobbled enough of them together with a control system able to operate 1 year, while putting out 1MW thermal, with very few problems. Even Penon...a Nuclear Engineer, and ERV, agrees...it is perfect. So it is ready for market "as is". In fact, Doral was hawked to IH, by Rossi, as a final beta test so to speak. The final report proves it passed with flying colors.

Plus, we have testimony from Rossi himself, that customers have been buying the 1MW LT's since Jan 2012. 13 to be exact. So it baffles me, how all of a sudden, after the settlement, and Rossi is free from any constraints, the 1MW is now "obsolete", and he is on to smaller (20W), and better (still in R/D) things, with this QX?

• @IH Fanboy

"minimum guaranteed performance at maximum rated capacity" makes sense to me.

There is a maximum rated capacity which is the capacity of the pump when all its settings are on maximum (i.e., 180 strokes per minute and 100% of possible stroke length). Prominent then tells its customers what the minimal guaranteed value is for this capacity. They do this so customers know which pump model to order.

Let's suppose you have an application which requires 30 L/H at 2 bar backpressure. You now know that you can order the 0232 model because Prominent guarantees that the 0232 delivers a minimum of 32 L/H when all setting are on max. You should even be able to dial the settings back bit to get your required flow. On the other hand if your requirement is for 40 L/H, you know that you should order a different model because your requirement is above what is guaranteed (i.e., the minimum it will pump) at the maximum rated capacity.

So Prominent is telling you the minimal flow you are guaranteed to get when the pump is running flat out. It may actually be able to pump a bit more but this minimum is the guaranteed amount. If I were Prominent, the way I would arrange to meet this guaranteed level would be to make the true maximal pumping rate attainable by the pump a bit higher that the guaranteed level. That would mean that you could have a little variation in manufacturing and still be sure that your pumps would meet the guaranteed level most of the time. And then I would do product testing as the pumps come off the line and reject any that fall under the guaranteed minimum.

To set a couple more examples:

- Your need is 31 L/H at 2 bar backpressure? That is below the guaranteed minimum performance at maximum capacity so go ahead and buy the 0232!

- Your need is 33 L/H at 2 bar backpressure? Don't buy the 0232. By another model. If you ordered the 0232, the one they ship you might possibly be coaxed to deliver 33 L/H, but it is not guaranteed.

• OK, I used the lowest rate given in the performance curves from the manufacturers spec, of 10% (18 strokes/min). So you are right, you can go even lower, and I misspoke. I should have said less "than 1 l/h". And since your point is valid, Rossi is off by at least 4 orders of magnitude but potentially up to infinty (and beyond).

Which doesn't help Rossi's case at all: when Smith cites 32 l/h, how does saying that Smith was wrong because 'this is the minimum', when it contextually is 'minimum guaranteed at maximum performance' help Rossi's argument in any way?

It obviously doesn't help Rossi's argument at all. If Rossi wanted to make a counter-argument, it would need to be something like 'yes, 32 is the spec'ed maximum but we ran the pump at180% of the manufacturers maximum specification under out-of-specification conditions'. Instead, he implies that this was the minimum flow rate of the pump. Which is incorrect.

In any case, now you are the one arguing that minimum as used by the manufacturer in context really means maximum. So we agree! (But not with Rossi). And perhaps you can understand if others, like IHFB were both confused by this and pointing to Rossi's incorrect statement which supposedly showed that Smith was 'wrong', when in fact his statement was reasonable within approximation, unless you want to quibble.

And this IS relevant because it is not possible to match the flow rate that Penon quoted with those pumps at anything close to 32 l/h. For example, 40 l/h doesn't come close, given the number of pumps.

Which was Smith's point, as you no doubt are aware.

And of course the other reasons that Rossi's statement is far-fetched, like running an expensive precision metering pump well outside it's specified metering range, remain.

But again, I sincerely appreciate your efforts to empirically answer this question, and look forward to your findings.

• No, the reason I've gone to all the trouble is the "Expert" Smith did all his calculations with the erronious reading of the spec as "Maximum guaranteed flow at maximum settings." This was featured prominently in IH's opening statements. It was Rossi who (in Mats' interview) pointed out that error. Nobody here ... me included -- noticed that fatal mistake.

Except that it's not in the least bit 'fatal' to Smith's conclusions of inadequate flow if the manufacturer's specification can be trusted. Rather, those ratings are fatal to Rossi's flow and heat transfer claims.

The only remaining hope for Rossi's argument is if the Prominent pump can be made to run at 180% of the rated performance of the pump.

Which is kind of like pulling a rabbit out of the hat.

So, we're waiting to see if your experiment pulls a rabbit out of the hat, metaphorically.

• ** WARNING : DO NOT QUOTE THE NEXT TWO RUNS AS PROVING/DISPROVING ANYTHING

WE NEED TO COMPARE THESE TO 2 BAR -- WHICH WE CAN'T DO YET

RUN-05E : Timed test with "high" outlet (0.15 bar)

Title :

pgl_run05e_26.jpg

Power-ON sequence :

pgl_run05e_27.jpg

pgl_run05e_28.jpg

Power Off sequence : ON-half-off

pgl_run05e_29.jpg

pgl_run05e_30.jpg

pgl_run05e_32.jpg

Level :

pgl_run05e_33.jpg

Manometer

pgl_run05e_35.jpg

Results : 33.7204 l/hr

pgl_run05e_36.jpg

** WARNING : DO NOT QUOTE THE NEXT TWO RUNS AS PROVING/DISPROVING ANYTHING

• ** WARNING : DO NOT QUOTE THE NEXT TWO RUNS AS PROVING/DISPROVING ANYTHING

RUN-06C : Timed test with "zero" outlet (0.0 bar)

Title :

pgl_run06c_37.jpg

Power-ON Sequence (On-half-off)

pgl_run06c_38.jpg

pgl_run06c_39.jpg

pgl_run06c_40.jpg

Power-Off sequence :

pgl_run06c_42.jpg

pgl_run06c_43.jpg

pgl_run06c_44.jpg

Level (Hard to read ... the drip-pan wasn't quite level. I tilted it to get a better reading (and took a separate photo later to confirm it's 993)

pgl_run06c_45.jpg

Results : (drum roll .... ) 42.3092

pgl_run06c_46.jpg

** WARNING : DO NOT QUOTE THE NEXT TWO RUNS AS PROVING/DISPROVING ANYTHING

05E: 0.15 bar : 33.7204 l/hr

06C: 0.00 bar : 42.3092 l/hr

Multiplier 1.2547

• Sooo .... there is a definite (25%) increase in flow from 0.15 to 0 bar

or 32% more than than the minimum guaranteed (etc etc) flow at 2 bar.

BUT: we don't know how good this pump IS until we get in range of a Prominent Spec.

Somebody posted low-backpressure curves : could somebody find them for me?

This seems a big enough jump to continue with the experiment.

The level-reading is very difficult and error-prone, so I'm going to order a digital scale of at least 0.01 kg resolution.
    Without USB I'll film the readout for the whole run.

OR I'll put a digital clock next to the scale and take a photo of both of them at the beginning and end of a run.

• OK, this obviously is confusing to some, and it's understandable confusion, since their use of 'minimum' practically means 'maximum'. But this isn't at all uncommon. For example, in electronics, the characteristics of the part (transistor, diode, transformer, etc.) is often spec'd as a 'minimum' when for design purposes, it's stated as it's max reliable (or 'guaranteed') rating.

And I gave the example of the 1/2 ton pickup truck which is analogous to how this pump is spec'ed.

It's important to remember that this is a metering pump. It's purpose is to provide precise flow control. So, if you have 2 bar of back pressure (which is the maximum that the manufacturer says you can have and still know that the pump should function correctly), the maximum capacity (or flow rate) is 32 l/h. You know that they mean the maximum (even though they use the word minimum), because they are stating that this is using the maximum stroke length (100%) and the maximum stroke frequency (180 strokes/minute). At one bar back-pressure, it's 36 l/h. And the 'correction factor' graph shows that this is linear with back pressure over the range they provide (down to .5 bar). If you extrapolate to 0 bar (atmospheric) this gives you 40 l/h. But they don't show this 0 bar correction factor, so it might not be exactly linear outside of the range they show. But it's extremely unlikely to be substantially non-linear outside of the provided range. This is why I bet Quatloos that Alan will measure less than 42 l/h. I've given some substantial error margin for measurement, to be safe.

The reason they use the word 'minimum' is because the pump is performing a pumping function against the fluid which resists flow (due to back-pressure and fluid resistance). So the manufacturer is stating that the pump will pump at least the amount given in the spec., and calling that 'minimum'.

So the pump will still reliably 'push through' (at least) 32 l/h under those conditions. But it's not going to push through any significant amount more than that either (to within the accuracy of the metering pump) because it is a precision metering pump designed to not over-pump or under-pump, assuming it's operating within it's specified range.

As (I think) you know, I'm using the words 'guaranteed performance' (which are obviously mine, not the manufacturer's) to help clarify the meaning of this specification to those not familiar with the interpretation of these kind of specifications. If you find that terminology confusing, or you think it's contradictory, than ignore it. It's how I understand this spec and other similar ratings in other engineering applications.

However, the specification provided shows the practical maximum (not the minimum) that the pump will deliver. And that is a fact. So if you don't like my explanation or terminology, you can come up with your own. But you still end up with the fact that this is the practical maximum of the pump. Not the minimum, despite Rossi's incorrect statement otherwise.

I hope this helps.

• Alan, its here:

Prominent Gamma/L 0232 Flow Rate Test

(This is also the link that I've been putting in several of my responses)

The 'curve' is actually linear to my eye from .5 to 2.0 bar back-pressure. If you assume it's linear to 0 bar (as I just explained in my response above to IHFB), this would predict 40 l/h at 0 bar (with 100% stroke length and 180 strokes per minute).

Thanks again for your efforts.

• Bruce, only the people that had a complete knowledge on how the plant was made cold give you an answer.

Well we do have Mr Rossi's own words regarding the backpressure at the outlet of the Prominent pumps. In his handwritten notes regarding Rick Smith's supplemental report, Rossi says "But in our case the pumps have to push the water to a height that averages 1 meter, which corresponds to 1/10 of bar!!!"

I don't agree with this and it is possible that Mr. Rossi has made a bit of a mistake in his calculations. From an argument supplied by a "friend of Rossi's" earlier in this thread it is virtually certain that the backpressure at the pump outlet is almost 0.

We can agree, however that the backpressure is small.

And Randombit0 made an argument earlier that the inlet has a head of about 15 feet of water which is about 0.5 bar. That would be a maximum. I am dubious though. I don't think that there was any overpressure on the inlet. If there was it would contradict how Penon describes the system in his report.

• Alan, before the control testing you will do at ~ 2 bar, we will not say what we're all thinking, which is that the pump will likely prove to be within spec at 2 bar, and that that will be evidence that your pump is representative of such Gamma/L pumps more generally. :)

We will also seek to find what merit there is in arguments to the effect that nothing at all can be concluded about Rossi's getup from your tests. (Regardless, there is still the matter of the "recirculator" to be dealt with.)

ETA: who knows how these things work when they're damaged or they've been operated out of spec for a long period of time.

• The curve is actually slightly nonlinear (concave up). You can see this if you use a ruler.

• I hope this helps.

No it doesn't.

IF you set the pump to its maximum operating parameters (180 strokes/min, 100% stroke length) and provide 2 Bars Back-pressure
    THEN Prominent GUARANTEES that it will deliver AT LEAST (MINIMUM) 32 l/hr.

IF you provide 1 bar Back-Pressure then Prominent GUARANTEES that it will deliver AT LEAST (MINIMUM) 36 l/hr. (36 from memory)

You may well limit yourself to using it within these guidelines.
    You may well call this the "practical maximum"

BUT I have shown that if you bend the rules you can get 35% more flow (measured for MY pump).

• In my opinion, the conditions for one of the timed runs (run 06C) that Alan Fletcher performed today closely replicates the inlet and outlet conditions actually seen by the pumps in the Doral plant during the 1-year test. These would be 0 bar backpressure and an negative inlet pressure corresponding to pulling up water from a reservoir by about 1 metre or so.

Indeed the only significant physical condition in Mr Fletcher's rig that departs from the Doral conditions is the water temperature which was about 26C for Mr Fletcher and about 70C in Doral.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.