Prominent Gamma/L 0232 Flow Rate Test

• Question : Can you please clarify exactly what the manual means by "back pressure" ... is it JUST the pressure at the discharge end (eg a 5 foot head of water = 0.15 bar), or does it depend in some way on the pressure at the suction port?

Answer : It is only useful as pressure at the discharge as it opposes flow. In the case of the pump it actually aids in the performance of the pump by providing differential pressure on the check valves to aid in seating. It also provides for a mechanism to achieve steady pump flow rates. Although the pump is positive displacement the flow volume can change as the pressure changes. If you keep the pressure steady then flow rate is predictable.

When they say that the pressure at the discharge "aids in the performance of the pump," I think what they mean is that it aids in achieving a steady pump flow rate.

Not that it aids in increasing the pump flow rate.

This is emphasized in the last sentence, where they are stressing that the flow rate is predictable with steady pressure.

• Question : Can you please clarify exactly what the manual means by "back pressure" ... is it JUST the pressure at the discharge end (eg a 5 foot head of water = 0.15 bar), or does it depend in some way on the pressure at the suction port?

Answer : It is only useful as pressure at the discharge as it opposes flow. In the case of the pump it actually aids in the performance of the pump by providing differential pressure on the check valves to aid in seating. It also provides for a mechanism to achieve steady pump flow rates. Although the pump is positive displacement the flow volume can change as the pressure changes. If you keep the pressure steady then flow rate is predictable.

I had thought that this answer clarified the situation somewhat but now I have found some more literature from Prominent that puts us right back in the soup.

Take a look at this set of operating instructions and, in particular at the diagrams on pages 31-35. These show various installation possibilities and from these you can see that is is possible to have "back pressure" on the discharge side or the inlet side (or both).

http://prominent.us/promx/pdf/gamma_%204b_%20manual.pdf

I know this manual does not deal with the right model range (I think they are older models) but the point is to figure out what terminology Prominent uses for describing their equipment.

• Official Post

However I disagree about adding the negative column seize at the inlet with the column height at the outlet (But correct me if I am wrong)

Why ? Because when the pump is pulling the water in, the outlet valve is closed and the water column at the inlet will not see the column height at the outlet.

And when pushing the water out of the pump, the inlet valve will be closed and the water column at the outlet will not see the column at the inlet.

Inlet stroke and output stroke are discrete events. However, the pump works harder when lifting water against gravity on the inlet stroke than when water is (for example) being pushed in by a positive pressure feed. This in turn affects the stroke time and thus the maximum stroke rate achievable and will certainly affect the pump's energy use. Which latter effect is of course, a secondary factor not relevant to the experiment.

• I thought about asking that .... but decided to limit my questions to cut-and-dried answers.

If I had contact with a pump DESIGNER then I'd ask that question.

If the tech answering your question does not know the answer he will probably contact another person within the organization who knows the answer.

That might be a pump designer.

• Take a look at this set of operating instructions and, in particular at the diagrams on pages 31-35. These show various installation possibilities and from these you can see that is is possible to have "back pressure" on the discharge side or the inlet side (or both).

http://prominent.us/promx/pdf/gamma_%204b_%20manual.pdf

The back pressure valve on the suction side is used mostly when the inlet tank is mounted high, or is very tall -- giving POSITIVE pressure on the valve.

This is so that the suction valve cannot be accidentally forced open when it should be closed.
    (Also : use the suction back-pressure valve if there is a recirculating pump!)

(Exception to 'mostly' : when the suction line is very long ... fig 5)

I'll have to keep an eye on fig 11) - when there's a discharge back pressure valve then you must limit the height of the outlet.

I think I'm following all their guidelines.

• Honest question: what is the point of worrying about the guidelines if, presumably, Rossi ran the pump out of spec and did not worry about the guidelines? Seems to me that you're good as long as you do something comparable to whatever Rossi did.

ETA: to answer my own question: we want to make sure the pump is good.

• I'm collecting all references of RossiSeztm about the Gamma L flow.

Here's DT's original post from JONP :

http://www.journal-of-nuclear-…cpage=225#comment-1275480 (my bold)

• Here's the Mats Lewan Interview :

https://animpossibleinvention.…-was-rossis-top-priority/

• Reader and Rossi comments on the flow (no new data)

http://www.journal-of-nuclear-…cpage=255#comment-1285002

• " ... is it because the pumps were redundant and regulated to give you the necessary amount of water?

This is Rossi mumbling to himself of course, but what does it mean? Is the suggestion that because the pumps collectively could pump more than enough water they didn't all have to be set at maximum? This contradicts the pictures we have of the pumps sitting on the big Frankies because almost every one of those pumps appears to be set at 100% stroke length.

• Is the suggestion that because the pumps collectively could pump more than enough water they didn't all have to be set at maximum? This contradicts the pictures we have of the pumps sitting on the big Frankies because almost every one of those pumps appears to be set at 100% stroke length.

Yes : they don't have to run at 90 l/h (DT) or even 75 l/h (AR)

They could be set to a lower pulse frequency (which would give more accurate control than the infinitely variable stroke length).

WHY do I still think somebody said they got 60 l/h ?

• I know I SAID that ... but WHERE WAS IT !! AT least I have a DATE ... might be in my browser history ... Nope : I say the numbers are from memory!

Rossi's Smith Notes : https://animpossibleinvention.…h-supplemental-report.pdf

He writes 1m = 1/10 bar. (Actually ... I don't think he designed the Prominent pump section : for each BF the head is only a few inches) -- and on ECW engineer48 says there's a 1-way flow valve http://e-catworld.com/2016/07/…regarding-1mw-plant-test/ : I have to study that conversation.

E48 refers to yet another Prominant doc -- the 2016 catalog which has DIFFERENT advice!
    http://prominent.us/promx/pdf/Catalog_US_2016_LR.pdf page 3 pdf p 14/323 (my bold)

AF1 : so maybe there IS an integral backpressure device ... But what's minimum -- 1 bar is "moderate" : 0.5 bar ???

AF2 : now we're back (pun intended) to a differential pressure ACROSS the pump !!!

EDIT: in the pump tables they no longer say "Minimum flow at maximum backpressure" ... it's "Capacity at maximum backpressure!"

EDIT: E48 didn't say there was an EXTERNAL 1-way flow : he has an exploded diagram (of the wrong pump) and is referring to the built-in suction/discharge valves.

• Yes : they don't have to run at 90 l/h (DT) or even 75 l/h (AR)

They do have to run at 83.3 L/H on days like Oct 14, 2015 when, as far as I can determine, only 18 pumps were operational but Penon records that 36,000 L was pumped over 24 hours. This is when one of the Big Frankies was down and pulled off line along with its pumps.

I think it wasn't only just Oct 14. I think that from about Sept 2015 until the end of the 1 year test that Big Frankie was shutdown. But there was 36,000 L pimped on lots of those days. And on those days each of the 18 remaining pumps would have to handle 83.3 L per hour

• Here's an ECW discussion : https://e-catworld.com/2017/04…ith-report-from-the-jonp/

E48 believes there's a MASTER pump ... and the Prominents only do topping up.

Down the page there are three progressive photos of the pump end. Only the middle one is clear enough to see the dials.
    22592da100cbb110fe93e17a61b76ef88ba8b414d9acbbfa2adfba54609c9bad.png

The BOTTOM row seems to be set to 100% stroke ... otherwise we would see the "white bar" at the top of the knob.

Conversely, the top row is seen from the bottom. Again, no white bar, so THEY must be set to 40% EDIT: I can see the white bar at 100% on the 3rd from the left.

The middle too rows are end-on so we cant see which is which. If I had infinite time I'd try to do some image enhancement.

Any other photos of the pump end?

• OK ... I've done a lot of reading of specs and blogs ....

1, I'm going to interpret "backpressure" as DISCHARGE - SUCTION heads (measured in inches, converted to BAR)

Series 10... : Backpressure controlled by discharge head

Flow calculated from outlet volume or mass

Scan_20170802_232554.jpg

1 : INLET tank

2: Suction tube (minimum length)

3. Constant level by garden hose overflowing

4. Gamma L

5 Manometer

6. MINIMUM height ... 30" above inlet tank = 0.07 bar

7. ... Then we can do 0.1 bar = 40 inches .... up to 0.2 0.3 0.4 ...

8 MAXIMUM height : 0.5 bar at 17 feet (This brings us on to the Promininet calibration curve).

I *think* I can do this from my roof .... or I'll "borrow" a tall building

9. Volume measurement by volume (or weight)

10. Note that backpressure is discharge-suction

I expect that my pump will NOT be identical to the prominent specs.

I will then SCALE my results at 0.5 bar to Prominent's k-factor at 0.5 bar

Worried : as described this is a 2-man job. May be difficult to collect the outlet flow at 17 feet.

But I have an alternative scheme ...

That's it for the project ... I have a bunch of poetry stuff and radio show stuff to do tomorrow.
    Scale should be arrive tomorrow.

IHFB : I'll send you an invoice for the next ... tranche.

... to be continued.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.