​New E-Cat QX Picture and New Rossi-Gullstrom Paper (Very high COP reported with Calorimetry)​

• Probably goes without saying, but if there is no way to set up a proper control in a context such as this one, that would seem to be a flaw in the experimental design. But since calorimetry is being used, presumably you could use a resistance heater as a control.

So you have seen the light after our previous exchange. Better late than never.

"that would seem to be a flaw in the experimental design." LOL.

I don't know what is wrong with people like THH. It is one thing to point out an error in an experiment and quite another to go on at length with insults about Rossi and anyone who might bean ally (like the Swedes).

There is information missing from the brief description of the E-Cat QX set up. Things like how it is started and whether it produces a voltage that may make measuring the power input difficult. Presumably we will know more after the public demo in October. Meanwhile it is a mistake to speculate on what he might have done wrong. You don't know what other measurements were made in the year Rossi has been working on it..

Likewise comments about readers of ECW being repeatedly "taken in" is pure insulting speculation. Papers like the one this thread discusses provide sufficient interest to follow the story, but that doesn't mean it is proof of anything. It obviously isn't. Not that anyone here agrees with me, but you should wait for sufficient data before making up your mind.

I don't think you have had enough experimental experience to pontificate on the relationship of experiments to science.

• Hi Adrian,

So you have seen the light after our previous exchange. Better late than never.

You may have missed the several posts yesterday where I said that we didn't have enough information to know whether a control was carried out. You and I were discussing things more at a hypothetical level.

I don't think you have had enough experimental experience to pontificate on the relationship of experiments to science.

In my work every day I set up controls of sorts and test hypotheses. Not of the kind done when wearing a lab coat, but quite sufficient to have a solid intuition for why they're needed. But more to the point, philosophers of science, and indeed theoretical physicists, do not require experimental experience to pontificate on these things. I will be quite happy to continue to do so, because I think this is stuff that LENR watchers should be thinking more about.

• In my youth as a lab scientist, I fooled myself on a few occasions by not running the right controls for my tests and experiments. In later life, as an employer of scientist at all levels up to PhD, I observed even senior people doing the same thing at times.

I took the trouble early on to learn about hypothesis testing; particularly to identify the relevant null hypothesis

• The wires and electrodes are conductors not resistors. And while they will have a negligible resistance, it will not be significant when we are talking about hundreds of orders of magnitude in terms of COP.

• You may have missed the several posts yesterday where I said that we didn't have enough information to know whether a control was carried out. You and I were discussing things more at a hypothetical level.

AA wrote:
    The statement no control = no result is false period. That some skeptic requires it is another subject.

EW wrote:
    It is a meaningful statement, and it is not hard at all to understand the point LENR Calendar is making. Without a control in many benchtop experiments, you cannot draw meaningful conclusions.

As was obvious from the beginning, it was not practical to make a meaningful substitute for the plasma in the E-Cat QX. All one needs to do is be careful about the amount of fluid used in the surrounding shell and measure the temperature rise accurately to get a "meaningful result." The heat loss from the liquid can be measured but is probably negligible if you are looking for a conservative answer.

Enough already.

• Adrian,

As was obvious from the beginning, it was not practical to make a meaningful substitute for the plasma in the E-Cat QX. All one needs to do is be careful about the amount of fluid used in the surrounding shell and measure the temperature rise accurately to get a "meaningful result." The heat loss from the liquid can be measured but is probably negligible if you are looking for a conservative answer.

Enough already.

I agree that we need not further plow over the ground concerning the conclusion you seem to have attributed to LENR Calendar. I'll just point out that in the Gullstrom paper we have two experiments. The second involves electricity going in and heat calculated from the reading of a thermometer on a heat exchanger on the output side. An obvious control here is to use a resistance heater with the same amount of input power. The E-Cat QX, because it has such a high COP, will show a higher delta T for a given input power than the resistance heater (or something like that).

If a control was not used in the second experiment, one clearly should have been. Was one used? We don't know. We do know that the check that is mentioned was to cross reference the result of the second experiment with the Bolzmann calculation for the first experiment. If the second experiment was such that a control would not have been possible, this points to deeper deficiencies in the protocol.

To summarize: in an experiment this size there should not be one but several controls, especially given the strong claim. If the protocol makes a control impossible, the protocol should be revised.

• Having the reactor and sensor resistor R in series, measuring the voltage V across the whole circuit, using this as an upper bound on the reactor current (V/R) and reactor voltage V would indeed be safe and conservative.

I'm glad you can finally admit that. All it took was you slinging a handful of insults my way while I repeatedly explained this to you in a variety of different ways. All you could say is that I misunderstood electrical circuitry, when in fact it was you who did not understand (or at least pretended not to). Now, you must understand the context. Rossi told Frank that the 1 Ohm resistor is the only resistance in the circuit (yes, yes, as Can pointed out, the conductive wires and terminals have resistance, but I think we can safely discount that, because well, those are conductors).

Nevertheless, even though the 1 Ohm resistor is the only resistance in the circuit, Rossi made the point that IF the reactor had a resistance, then the power calculation would actually be more conservative. And he is right! And how do we know that? Because "Having the reactor and sensor resistor R in series, measuring the voltage V across the whole circuit, using this as an upper bound on the reactor current (V/R) and reactor voltage V would indeed be safe and conservative." And that is what Rossi was attempting to explain to Frank, and what Frank's jumbled written notes imply.

What however Rossi has clearly said, in his paper, in his comments to Frank, and in the picture on the whiteboard, is that he is measuring the voltage across the resistor. We can all agree.

Right, because the 1 Ohm resistor is the only resistance in the circuit, according to Rossi. So it would make sense to measure it in that way.

Now look at the circuit on the white board. This has plasma gen and resistor in parallel not series. In this case, the voltage across the plasma generator is precisely known (same as across the resistor). The current is not known, nor is the input power. Given Rossi's ability to write random things on a whiteboard, and so many configurations that do not safely measure power, the chances that Rossi has done this must be small. As has been pointed out normal people, given weird results like COP=20,000, do sanity checking. Rossi does not.

I'm not convinced. Those look like two blurry squares with some wires. Why do you assume that those two boxes, that appear to be connected in parallel, correspond to the plasma gen and the resistor?

• So is Rossi producing sparks by applying 0.1V across a 1.5cm gap? Uncredible.

How are these incomplete and/or misleading measurements not some form of elaborate trolling? He must enjoy reading the reactions.

The red "handles" certainly suggest to me at least that the electrodes within the device are movable, perhaps so an arc can be struck and then drawn out to some distance, perhaps as much as 1.5 cm. 100 mV seems low for an atmospheric arc, but in a rarified plasma, perhaps not.

[Still retaining my agnosticism, but trying to see through eyes without prejudice, perhaps in the spirit of Pascal. With gratitude to all here for their sincere efforts at critique and also toward those seeking possible understanding!]

• Can's 'R2' is the unknown resistance of the reactor, not the wiring which indeed would not likely be significant. As he points out 'R2' must be greater than zero. I think perhaps Rossi's talk of no resistance is actually Rossispeak for open-circuit which indeed it would be when not powered up.

• The confusion is simple: voltage across the resistor = meaningless calculations; voltage across the system = valid COP (assuming proper measurements, of course - which not be discussed if the initial premise is wrong).

Not necessarily. If the 1 Ohm resistor is the only resistance in the circuit (as Rossi states it is), voltage across the resistor is perfectly fine. The reactor itself generates a voltage.

• Thanks. That looks pretty interesting but a little complicated and better use for markets. Isn't there a better set ups for bets?

It will be simple to use. Barty linked to the developer docs.

And no, nothing better, because the centralized ones get shut down by the SEC and other agencies. The solution to this is to decentralize it.

• Rossi recycles the same rewarmed scam again and again. Compare the piece of junk he foisted on investors in 2011 with the garbage he is pushing now. The only difference is that instead of rusty pipe salvaged from a toilet plumbing store, he went to Home Depot and bought a $2 piece of PVC pipe. The ends don't even line up properly! Look at the part covered with plastic tape -- Rossi didn't even bother to make it straight for the photos.

The old and the new scams will work equally well, that is to say not at all, when properly tested, which probably will be a long time in happening. Whether there really are still investors dumb enough to give Rossi money for the new silly kludges remains to be seen but I would not doubt it.

684utl.jpg

9tmk5k.jpg

ROSSIFICTION DEVICES -- 2017 AND 2011

• Can's 'R2' is the unknown resistance of the reactor, not the wiring which indeed would not likely be significant. As he points out 'R2' must be greater than zero. I think perhaps Rossi's talk of no resistance is actually Rossispeak for open-circuit which indeed it would be when not powered up.

Rossi knows the difference between an open circuit and no resistance--come on. You folks immediately jump to stupidity and delusions as explanations, when perhaps things have not been well thought out for yourselves.

According to Rossi, the reactor generates a voltage potential. It generates electricity. There is no power dissipation in the reactor. It is apparently a power generator.

Edit: This is what Can said: "There is indeed only one "proper" resistor. But the rest of the E-Cat shown (I would guess made of steel and nickel for the electrodes) is live/part of the circuit and must have a resistance itself."

• Rossi recycles the same rewarmed scam again and again. Compare the piece of junk he foisted on investors in 2011 with the garbage he is pushing now. The only difference is that instead of rusty pipe salvaged from a toilet plumbing store, he went to Home Depot and bought a $2 piece of PVC pipe. The old and the new scams will work equally well, that is to say not at all, when properly tested, which probably will be a long time in happening. Whether there really are still investors dumb enough to give Rossi money for the new silly kludges remains to be seen but I would not doubt it.

ROSSIFICTION DEVICES -- 2017 AND 2011

Not surprisingly, I have a slightly different perspective. Parkhomov once said that Rossi's experimental approach was refreshing because it did not obfuscate with shiny flanges and polished steel drums, or something to that effect. I agree with Parkhomov on that one. It would be much more flashy, and suspect in my opinion in terms of trying to hoodwink investors, if that is what Rossi's contraptions looked like.

• @IHFB The junk look appeals to those who think that Rossi is a misunderstood genius laboring away in his storage container lab. Remember, Rossi wants only investors who don't really understand scientific method and technology. Because if they did, they would not give him two shakes with their... you-know-what.

The other part of it is that Rossi is basically a cheap con man who wouldn't take the trouble to make his stuff look good when he doesn't have to and probably doesn't know how to.

Now if you want to see some phony gear that deserves respect as attractive art work, check out Naudin's site. Naudin claimed to have replicated Bedini and Steorn. Yah shoore. But his stuff is elegant -- neat -- even pretty. Hats off to him for that. At least he's entertaining. Rossi is mostly depressing. Naudin:

http://jnaudin.free.fr/ and the pretty but nonworking Steorn models are at: http://jnaudin.free.fr/steorn/indexen.htm I think he removed Steorn from the index. I wonder why! In any case, his last entry on it seems to be 2010. Oh woes. Naudin dropped a true magnetic motor that makes lots of power without input. Oh whys? Oh woes!

• Well, there are myriads of really bad energy scam attempts out there... I occasionally dabble in some or read about others. Used to be PESN was a good source for them until their owner Sterling Allan was carted off to prison for child molesting. Can't post that without a proper reference link:

http://www.heraldextra.com/new…2e-9815-9b3823df58ad.html <-that's a news account

The "other" I "crapped on" was the most important because of it's extreme danger to life and limb. That was Sniffex, now out of business in the US, UK and hopefully Iraq. And the UK criminal is in prison for ten years for that scheme. What you forgot I said was that I called out those four right at their start and I was 100% correct about them. If that constitutes skeptopathy, then yay for skeptopathy.

• Yes, that model can supply up to 150W. I assume Rossi is using a voltage converter to supply a typical 2-5kV plasma voltage and that 150W supply would just suffice. The fact is we really know nothing about the supply, although Rossi's request to Fulvio for a very high voltage converter supports the idea high voltage is involved.

If Rossi really has made a fundamental schoolboy error it would lead him to think that just increasing the voltage would increase the COP, thus the request to Fulvio for an unrealistic megavolt source could in his mind power an entire city.

I still can't figure Rossi out, at first I thought he was a con man, then later as someone with the goods but a bit crazy, but now I wonder if he really is just deluded.

Regarding: although Rossi's request to Fulvio for a very high voltage converter supports the idea high voltage is involved.

Rossi's patent update specifies that a 100,000 volt potential difference is applied between the two nickel electrodes at the ends of the tube. The hydrogen many not form vigorously ionized plasma because the pressure of that gas is 6 bar when the temperature of the reactor is at the operating temperature of 2700C.

It is possible that Rossi wanted to increase the voltage used by the reactor far beyond 100 KV field patent spec to increase the strength of the electric fields that provide plasma confinement to the reactor...to make those fields highly protective and impenetrable.

Rossi's march article does state that a neutral dipole based plasma is formed. It is possible that the power used in the device produces a penning trap to confine the plasma so that the nickel electrodes at the ends of the tube are protected from erosion by the plasma.

Besides the ability to confine the plasma by the tube material, this penning trap based electrode protection mechanism might be another reason for long term endurance testing that Rossi has undertaken to quality test the QuarkX(aka 5 sigma).

1200px-Penning_Trap.jpg

A more likely possibility for plasma containment is the Quadrupole ion trap.

600px-Paul-Trap.svg.png

The use of this trap configuration might be where the idea that Rossi advances in his paper to support the special EMF field being a quadrupole field. The Quadrupole ion trap might serve multiple functions: ion containment, tube protection from the erosion of the inner tube surface by the plasma, nickel electrode erosion protection, and electrostatic activation of the LENR reaction.

I don't believe that the Quadrupole based electrostatic field is responsible for the LENR reaction. I believe that the specially formatted LENR active magnetic field is a polariton generated monopole field produced by KERR effect. Any high voltage electrostatic field would do the job of symmetry breaking of the polariton current within the whispering gallery wave hosted by the Kerr effect activated nanoparticles.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.