The triangle Journal : Dispute between inventor and Raleigh investor over nuclear reaction device ends

• Sadly the text is behind a paywall...

After more than a year of back-and-forth filings, the court battle between a Raleigh investor group and the Italian inventor of a controversial nuclear reaction device appears to be over.

More revealing is the tweet of the journalist

• It's fine as far as it goes but you failed to mention the countersuit in which IH sued to get back all the money they had already paid Rossi. Perhaps you could make that correction.

No "reliable source" reported on the progress of the trial, so it can't go into wiki. (Some wikipolice regard Triangle Business Journal as only marginally reliable).

• Abd made a post quith some quote

http://coldfusioncommunity.net/peep/

one explain the walk away idea

“They dropped everything – very interesting,” Cherokee Investment Partners CEO Tom Darden says of the plaintiffs Tuesday. “Right as the case was beginning, they said they’d walk away; we said fine.”

and what is the most interesting for us

But Darden and team plan to continue exploring LENR development. Darden says Rossi’s device was just “one of a dozen that we were funding” in the cold fusion space.

• Wiki : edit war over whether I can say "the parties settled, and the case was dismissed with prejudice" or only "the parties settled". Also, readers aren't even allowed to know the docket number of the order!

Maybe I WILL go back to TBJ and ask permission to include Darden's "walk away" quote.

• “There are a couple of them that we’re pretty definitive about not pursuing anymore and that was one of them,” Darden adds. “But we still have at least half a dozen we’re still pretty seriously interested in.” Tom Darden.

Candidates reduced by 50% already.

• Alan - I predict that we're going to end up with a 70% to 90% cull. Anything above a 10% connect rate beats the standard but that is not what we're about.

You have to factor in the extreme edge that we are exploring - 10% would be the investment of the century if we can get into engineering.

If not, we have moved R&D forward and perhaps the next gen impact explorer / funders can take it from there.

The next 18 months may not be boring.

• If there were a dozen good cold fusion prospects, we would know. 3 or 4 I would agree. BTW, the annual report of the Woodford WPCT is out today. Not a word about IH, good or bad, as if it never happened.

There have been reliable rumours here about IH funding prospects (forgive me for not getting the links) with the key take-home that initially large numbers of prospects initially considered have been winnowed down into a smaller number. For example, Brillouin was initially on the list, but has dropped off.

That is exactly what you'd expect as IH "crush the tests" on data that initially looks interesting but turns out to have some mundane anomaly.

IH here are doing a remarkably useful job of taking potential LENR anomalies and (with the aid of proper skeptical checking and money) testing them to see what they are. You might think one indirect merit of the Rossi affair is to make IH much more rigorous now in how they assess claims and therefore more likely to narrow down focus for funding at an earlier stage.

• If there were a dozen good cold fusion prospects, we would know. 3 or 4 I would agree. BTW, the annual report of the Woodford WPCT is out today. Not a word about IH, good or bad, as if it never happened.

IH was a small, long-term, high-risk bet.

Not likely to be mentioned ever unless it pans out. And nothing unusual about that. Though the Rossi circus makes non-mentioning particularly certain.

• “There are a couple of them that we’re pretty definitive about not pursuing anymore and that was one of them,” Darden adds. “But we still have at least half a dozen we’re still pretty seriously interested in.” Tom Darden.

Candidates reduced by 50% already.

It might likely be down to 0 with IH out of business in the not to distant future, I predict. It's possible they did not do proper due diligence before throwing money into this. Given the rate at which they have abandoned so many of the initial projects after their experts tested them, including Ecat, you have to ask what the initial criteria was for selecting one anyway.

You might think one indirect merit of the Rossi affair is to make IH much more rigorous now in how they assess claims and therefore more likely to narrow down focus for funding at an earlier stage.

How about more likely to demand testing by people who actually know how to test a purported source of energy? Maybe that's too much to hope for. I am with Alan on this. 10% connect rate, whatever that means, is optimistic. I am betting on a zero rate. Anyone want to try to actually structure a bet and a way to bet? They are testing a DOZEN sources? Is that more lies or what bottom of which barrel have they have been scrapping? In six years of watching, I don't know if I could make a list numbering a dozen claims. Not for useful power levels for sure. Are they including weird stuff like Swartz and Dennis's balls (LOL)? The whackjobs at Nanospire?

• Here is an article NOT behind a paywall. Don't now if that helps with the Wikipedia disputes. I looked at the talk page and for once, I agree that some people there are being extremely picky about trivial details about the settlement and the wording.

https://www.law360.com/article…w-over-nuclear-technology

If someone already linked this article, sorry. I don't have time to follow every thread here.

• and what is the most interesting for us

"But Darden and team plan to continue exploring LENR development. Darden says Rossi’s device was just “one of a dozen that we were funding” in the cold fusion space."

Just .... "just one of a dozen" ... as if it were of little value! Woodford called the E-Cat the "core" of the business and was quite upset when he knew things were not going well. It seems that the other projects in the portfolio are a kind of way out ....

• I'll add that although I question the decision to invest in any LENR/CF by IH, I must applaud them for the work they did once they had full access to all the top LENR technology. Their team of experts rigorously tested these technologies against the tough standards of real science. They discovered that maybe around 75% of them, including the Ecat, did not work. Out of the few remaining, they haven't announced success on any yet. Although IH will likely lose the 10's of millions+ they invested in this, their work served a greater purpose. By thoroughly disproving all of the top LENR claims, IH has likely prevented 100's of millions more from being wasted as investment in this field. Hopefully, any potential investor in this field will think: "IH had full access to everything and their experts failed to replicate any of the effects. Why would I think we could do better?".

• I am pretty impressed with TD's comments Abd so kindly provided. He sounds sincere, and truly committed to the humanitarian first, money second aspect in his search for a working LENR tech. Definitely at odds with the unflattering picture IH haters here painted. By their depiction, the "greedy bastard" should have pulled his money out of LENR by now, and gone back to real estate. Instead, he is continuing on with his LENR quest. Good on him!

After reading though, one thing that is no longer clear to me regarding the settlement: Rossi makes it very clear in his Lewan interview that he has his IP back. Yet, he is much less clear as to whether or not IH still has the North America Licence.

I am pretty impressed with TD's comments Abd so kindly provided.

Which comments and where pls? (thanks) Sometimes this stuff gets hard to follow. About Rossi's purported "IP". don't make me laugh. IP?? WHAT IP? Fraud isn't IP. And any license to sell ecats is worthless as is any agreement with Rossi as Prometeon found out early on to their chagrin. http://e-catworld.com/2014/11/…es-e-cat-licensee-status/

• about LENR technology, beside probably Brillouin (if they have a productive embryo of theory), my own position is there is none.

What Darden seems to have funded with success is not entrepreneurs but lab scientists (at least many).

That is a good approach as I judge today (my judgement change with data and learning).

back to the lab, is my new moto. I believe in LENR-

Wiki : all my attempts to include "with prejudice" (in any form) failed -- so I filed (first ever!) a formal complaint :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/…ergy_Catalyzer_discussion

Wiki-legal Note : this is NOT a solicitation for wiki editors to chime in

Good for you. Obviously, I am not in favor of Rossifiction-filled Wikipedia entries as were first tried by Frank Acland (I think) and others in 2011 and 2012. But this is ridiculous.

• Wiki : edit war over whether I can say "the parties settled, and the case was dismissed with prejudice" or only "the parties settled".

Wikipedia is a backwards hall of mirrors. It is inexplicable. The official ruling by the judge says the parties settled and the case is dismissed with prejudice. Those were her very words! Someone told me that is what judges say in situations like this. The judge does not want the case back in court after a settlement, so it has to be "with prejudice."

See: "The Undue Weight of Truth on Wikipedia"

http://www.chronicle.com/artic…eight-of-Truth-on/130704/

• I'll add that although I question the decision to invest in any LENR/CF by IH, I must applaud them for the work they did once they had full access to all the top LENR technology. Their team of experts rigorously tested these technologies against the tough standards of real science. They discovered that maybe around 75% of them, including the Ecat, did not work. Out of the few remaining, they haven't announced success on any yet. Although IH will likely lose the 10's of millions+ they invested in this, their work served a greater purpose. By thoroughly disproving all of the top LENR claims, IH has likely prevented 100's of millions more from being wasted as investment in this field. Hopefully, any potential investor in this field will think: "IH had full access to everything and their experts failed to replicate any of the effects. Why would I think we could do better?".

Do you really think IH is doing a favor at the LENR field? Their so-called experts are destroying the work of scientists and highly prepared and competent people, condemning them to no longer get any funding for the bad reputation that IH is spreading. Have you ever thought that maybe IH experts are wrong? You think it is more likely that so many scientists scattered around the world who have devoted themselves to different experiments and have achieved positive results independently from each other are wrong, or that a handful of people paid by VC's who fails to run any reactor are wrong? How can you say that IH tests are rigorous if you have never read a report that describes them in detail? Your nickname clearly expresses your point of view on this topic and this one makes you see things in a distorted way.