Vaseline (uranium) glass as neutron detector

• Hello I found that uranium glass plate near reactor had increased activity and started to inspect it more closely.

I used SBM-20 geiger tube (tested also sbm-19 but counts up 26000/min, and not sure how well counter can handle so high readings), counter was DYI arduino (from ebay).

test 1., taped SBM-20 to plate center, outside ~25M from reactor counts ~850c/min. (Plate was slight activated, plus uranium beta decay)

Then I put it over reactor, from ~20cm distance core, it is ~19cm air + 1cm lead. Counts grow to 1860c/min.

Then I put canister of water on reactor and top sbm20 plate, extra 20cm distance, water ~11cm. Counts drop to ~1090c/min

Then I remove water canister and used wet towel layered ~1cm thick and sbm20 plate. Counts rise 1920c/min.

--> near thermal neutrons or what?

After I got idea to remove betas and used special (tin?) foil designed/used to remove SBM20 beta sensitivy.

Foil wrapped SBM20 outside far from reactor 20c/min.

Foil wrapped SBM20 taped to glass plate 58c/min. (plate have got some fission products. Normal clean readings should be ~20c/min BG).

And on reactor with wet towel 10min average 127c/min.

After test plate give ~60c/min.

Glass plate have low uranium content maybe 0.5-1%.

Is it posible to aproximate neutron flux from above data?

Calculations, comments?

• I see that you are still twisting the Dragon's tail. I am happy that you are feeling well.

As we had discussed before, muons have a maximum absorption cross section for uranium. You might be seeing induced fission reactions from muon uranium fission.

LERN will react with U238 more than the odd nucleon isotopes like U235.

If you are producing uranium fission byproducts, you might find out what those by products are from determining their half lives and the particles that these decays produce.

See

http://scienceandglobalsecurity.org/archive/sgs07libin.pdf

to also see how LENR effect uranium fission:

Low-energy nuclear reactions and the leptonic monopole

Georges Lochak*, Leonid Urutskoev**

http://www.lenr-canr.org/acrobat/LochakGlowenergyn.pdf

• eros

Unfortunately I don't have tables for lead, but I think a similar outcome should be expected.

Only negative muons can replace an electron in an atom and get captured. Positive muons always decay freely, producing a positron (and an electron neutrino and a muon antineutrino), which should eventually annihilate with an electron, generating two 511 keV gamma photons.

• Presumably the captured muon must have more kinetic energy than the binding energy of the neutron, either acquired at birth (e.g., going back to a cosmic ray) or as a result of the muon falling into the potential well of the protons (doubt you could obtain ~ 5-10 MeV this way).

• Foil wrapped SBM20 taped to glass plate 58c/min. (plate have got some fission products. Normal clean readings should be ~20c/min BG).

And on reactor with wet towel 10min average 127c/min.

After test plate give ~60c/min.

Glass plate have low uranium content maybe 0.5-1%.

eros : Muons can be excluded, at least for the main effect. Uranium is a very good gamma shield and the decay of U238 gives a well defined spectrum. In a first step I would measure the energy of the U238 decay reaction, what should give a hint of the induced process.

Because the foil shields most of the radiation, it must be Beta or much less likely alpha. Neutrons will not be significantly shielded with a thin layer of water.

If you produce "strange matter" like H* this would also be shielded by a foil and could be an explanation for activating U238.

• I don't have scintilator to get spectrum, only some geigers. Taking lead cover away drop counts. So it seems neutrons come from lead.

Tweaking parameters give 320c/min to dish plate sbm20 from another reactor. Lead can be dangerous "shielding" material..

Soviet SBM20 tube is only medium beta and gamma sensitive. Foil wrapped make it only gamma sensitive. It is not alpha sensitive.

Thin layer waters seems to moderate slightly neutrons more U235 fission likely. So near thermal neutrons.

How neutron flux calculation should do? counts / some area approximation * U235 content (=~1% *0.7%) * some barns and glass amount??

Hmm, seems inefficient way to detect neutrons so neutron flux can be quite high for ~300counts/min??

• well axil, muons seems react double rate at U235 vs U238

https://www.researchgate.net/p…_fission_in_235U_and_238U

also muons don't stop to 11cm water. Muons may be present. They may do funky things in 1cm lead if are near thermal - neutrons may come from lead fission. Need to test without lead shield. (shield is mainly to reduce BG near reactor)

I found the correct link to the muon fission rate between U235 and U238 here:

http://www.nrcresearchpress.co…rnalCode=cjp#.WZCVQFH5hPY

This info leads us to understand that LENR produces more fission reactants than just muons. The info that Georges Lochak and Leonid Urutskoev supply, means that a long range LENR reaction cause reaches out at a distance to produce fission in heavy elements. This cause or set of causes is more than just muons. Form your last experiment, this fission reaction cause is moderated by water. Muon flux should not be affected very much from water moderation. This fission cause might be a form of magnetism. To see if the LENR cause is some form of EMF, try to shield the reactor with a EMF (magnetic) shield material like an iron sheet to replace the water traction moderator. I would be interested in the results of this experiment.

This is another possibility.

https://arxiv.org/abs/physics/0101089

Urutskoev and Liksonov wonder if the "strange radiation" might be the magnetic monopole, a form of nano ball lightning.

Here is an experiment that shows what LENR exposure does to water over time.

• This info leads us to understand that LENR produces more fission reactants than just muons. The info that Georges Lochak and Leonid Urutskoev supply, means that a long range LENR reaction cause reaches out at a distance to produce fission in heavy elements. This cause or set of causes is more than just muons. Form your last experiment, this fission reaction cause is moderated by water. Muon flux should not be affected very much from water moderation. This fission cause might be a form of magnetism. To see if the LENR cause is some form of EMF, try to shield the reactor with a EMF (magnetic) shield material like an iron sheet to replace the water traction moderator. I would be interested in the results of this experiment.

Why not muons can't explain long range fission/transmutations? I have seen radiation increase from thick iron from ~5m reactor. For me it looks like muons stop beta radiation.

Water moderation is for neutrons from lead. It affect muons very little. But 1cm lead can stop near thermal muons and do fissions. (but how many barns etc?) What are lead muon fission products? Lead shiels go warm but radiation heat is present so difficult to know how much is fission heat.

Lead and iron is near identical muon moderator and most efficient materials to slow muons.

LENR cause is physical thing, microstructure as far I know.

• Light water does not shield neutrons, it moderates them...slows them down and this low energy neutrons have a higher cross section for fission when they interact with uranium. The slower that the neutrons become, the greater is there fission cross section.

See

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neutron_moderator

This neutron moderation effect is why light water reactors were mostly used in nuclear power production.

What you are finding with regards to water is the oposit of what should be observed if neutrons were being generated by the LENR reaction.

• Why not muons can't explain long range fission/transmutations? I have seen radiation increase from thick iron from ~5m reactor.

eros : Muons do in fact explain the increase in radiation after a shield. But you see a decrease. Muons are stop by light nuclei. Polystyrene > Aluminum> iron > lead. But tables often listen values in densities where lead seems to work better...

Muons pass any metallic foil, beta not. Neutrons pass too if they are not slowed down. Slow H* will be captured by a foil or any material.

Thus please tell us whether you are interested in the bulk of the radiation (you are able to shield) or the remaining part that you cannot shield.

• Muons are stop by light nuclei. Polystyrene > Aluminum> iron > lead. But tables often listen values in densities where lead seems to work better...

Any material can slow them down, but hi-Z materials slow them down more (and eventually stop them earlier) for the same thickness according to the same tables. Can you please clarify why/how polystyrene would work better?

Muons pass any metallic foil, beta not. Neutrons pass too if they are not slowed down. Slow H* will be captured by a foil or any material.

What is the energy of the muons we're talking about here? What do you mean exactly with H* in this context?

• What is the energy of the muons we're talking about here?

I have feeling that usually muons energy is quite high so they are almost invisible / undetectable. Only rare conditions they energy is dropped so they come more easilly detectable / thin lead can stop them. And muons come for brusts moustly. Smooth flux is rare condition (imposible?).

• eros

In the preceding comment I was just implying is that if muons are actually being emitted by the reactor (e.g. like Leif Holmlid suspects are from his' - for newcomers: his studies are where the muon emission suggestion comes from), they probably do not have the same energy of cosmic muons (several GeV), but rather more in the many-MeV range. Relatively thin layers of metal would be enough to stop muons < 20 MeV (EDIT: although if they are stopped they will likely engage in capture processes and activate the surrounding material, unlike electrons). In absence of (long overdue) more details on your experimental set up I'm not sure if I want to speculate more on the subject here.

By the way, electrons up to 35 MeV have a greater range in lead than muons, according to data from the following links which I graphed below:

https://physics.nist.gov/PhysRefData/Star/Text/ESTAR.html

http://www.sciencedirect.com/s…cle/pii/S0092640X01908617

lenr-forum.com/attachment/2704/

• eros

In the preceding comment I was just implying is that if muons are actually being emitted by the reactor (e.g. like Leif Holmlid suspects are from his' - for newcomers: his studies are where the muon emission suggestion comes from), they probably do not have the same energy of cosmic muons (several GeV), but rather more in the many-MeV range. Relatively thin layers of metal would be enough to stop muons < 20 MeV (EDIT: although if they are stopped they will likely engage in capture processes and activate the surrounding material, unlike electrons). In absence of (long overdue) more details on your experimental set up I'm not sure if I want to speculate more on the subject here.

I have no other (good/current physics etc) explanation for my observations as muon flux from reactor. Muon energy levels is posible to adjust. And when it is "low" it do things I explained in thread start. In most experiment and nature occuring cases energy is high, so they are almost undetectable.

In metals absorbtion is normal process, but in lead muons generate some fissions and neutrons. In muon flux lead is nuclear fuel and can do XH. But I can't find (free) lead and muon fission datas to study.

Experiment/findings include lead/metal/muons so speculate free ;)

How safe is muon induced lead burning fission reactor? Some near thermal neutrons at least. How lead fission generated nuclear waste? (I don't find activation from used lead shields. Uranium glass got activation so it supports "cleaner" lead reactor waste.

• eros

Regarding muon-induced fission of heavy metals, I don't know, sorry.

As a side note, for clarity: at least from my understanding (which might be incomplete or limited) of Holmlid's results and their interpretation, muons are not emitted directly, but are the end result of a meson decay chain from neutral fragments ejected from the condensed hydrogen material layer inside his reactor(s).

Apparently these fragments have a short lifetime on their own. They can be considered as "virtual neutrons" (Holmlid calls them "quasi-neutrons") and may also penetrate matter deeply before decaying.

Perhaps one might also want to factor this for any anomalous activation/radiation effect observed?

• Quantum Mechanics teaches that distance does not matter in entanglement. Two things can be entangled even if separated by billions of kilometers. If an entangled (superconductive) process produces a muon that is still entangled by that process' subsequent reactions then the muon so catalyzed might also be constrained by the peculiarities of the LENR reaction. The energy produced by that subsequent reaction may follow the same path as the first reaction that produced the muon. This could be the reason why reactions produced in lead by the muon does not result in any activation involving radioactive isotopes.

If the experimenter cannot see any radiation or activation coming from muon generated secondary reactions, then it will be difficult to determine what is happening in these LENR experiments. The only evidence that can be counted on is the detection of transmutation in the lead shielding.

One idea that might work is using Xenon to detect transmutation spectroscopy. Xenon is the heaviest stable gas with an atomic weight of 118 that is more likely than most elements to interact with muons. Over time, if transmutation is occurring in the Xenon, then the spectral lines of the transmuted elements will show up in the light from the light produced by the xenon tube.

Furthermore, spectroscopy is very sensitive in the detection of elements.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.