Is there evidence for LENR power generation of 100W for days without input power?

• Other people have seen HAD lasting anywhere from a few hours to 20 hours at power levels ranging from 10 to 50 W. I do not recall examples of HAD below 1 W.

I take that back. Sort of. The text in Dardik says they saw 4 days of HAD at 0.6 W. The graph looks to me more like 3 W. See Fig. 6:

http://lenr-canr.org/acrobat/DardikIultrasonic.pdf

Another paper by this group shows HAD at 20 to 50 W, fluctuating, for about 20 hours.

As far as I know, the world record for HAD was Mizuno, 10 days starting at about 100 W:

http://lenr-canr.org/acrobat/MizunoTnucleartra.pdf

I think this was the longest because the cathode was 100 g of Pd, which is much more than most cathodes.

There is no technological advantage to HAD. It is not desirable from an engineering point of view, any more than burning coal that you cannot extinguish.

• There is no technological advantage to HAD. It is not desirable from an engineering point of view, any more than burning coal that you cannot extinguish.

There is tactical advantage to HAD from a scientific point of view due to the implied high COP. I don't understand how burning coal that you cannot extinguish wouldn't be desirable or advantageous.

• There is tactical advantage to HAD from a scientific point of view due to the implied high COP.

Not really. A person who does not believe conventional calorimetry with a reasonable input to output ratio will probably not believe HAD either. I am sure Mary Yugo would not believe it, for example. You have to be skeptical blockhead who understands nothing about calorimetry to reject results such as McKubre's, for example. Anyone that stupid will also reject all reports of HAD. (Including McKubre's report of HAD.)

I don't understand how burning coal that you cannot extinguish wouldn't be desirable or advantageous.

In modern coal fired generating plants, the coal is ground into dust and injected into the fire. It burns quickly. It is somewhat like pumping oil into a fire. As soon as you cut off the supply, the fire begins to die down. It does not resemble the large piles of coal that people used to shovel under boilers in railroad locomotives, ships, and generators, which would sometimes burn for hours. You could not turn them off, or modulate the heat much. That was awkward when you did not need the steam. A heat source that responds quickly to controls, and that can be turned on or off quickly is easier to engineer.

Nuclear fission plants cannot be turned off quickly for other reasons. That is one of the reasons they are only useful for 24-hour baseline generation. Gas turbines can be controlled better than any other kind of large generator, I believe.

• I am pretty sure that the encouraging paper I saw and was asking about was from Mizuno and was present in Jed's collection. I have very limited time at the moment but I want to relook some of Mizuno's papers. I will do it when I can and report back. And IIRC, Mizuno claimed to be working on a kilowatt reactor and a 5kW version that had been mocked up already. I recall seeing photos and they had been given cutsey girl names. Do I have the right guy? That would have been 2 - 3 years ago. Any progress on those?

• Do I have the right guy? That would have been 2 - 3 years ago. Any progress on those?

Mizuno is preparing a new paper for the JCMNS. I suggest you wait a few weeks and read that to get a handle on his work. Contact me by e-mail and I will let you know when it comes out. (I will forget to do that if it is not in my e-mail queue.)

• Official Post

Mizuno is preparing a new paper for the JCMNS. I suggest you wait a few weeks and read that to get a handle on his work. Contact me by e-mail and I will let you know when it comes out. (I will forget to do that if it is not in my e-mail queue.)

I often think you are rather irascible Jed, but the quote above demonstrates that (just now and then) you have the patience of a saint.

Sure. Any idea how he is doing with the kilowatt and 5 kilowatt devices? If those run without input power, I imagine he won't get much argument and instead will receive many offers. Or (hopefully) is that what the paper is about?

• If those run without input power, I imagine he won't get much argument and instead will receive many offers. Or (hopefully) is that what the paper is about?

I cannot discuss specifics about unpublished papers. (I normally do not mention them at all, but I think we are close to publication so I guess it is okay. Mind you, publishing takes months or years so "close" is a relative thing.)

Anyway, note that in recent years he has reported mainly gas loading, which has no input power. That is also what Kitamura and some others in Japan have been doing, as you see in recent publications. Such as:

http://lenr-canr.org/acrobat/B…Pjcondensedn.pdf#page=238

And also the Arata experiment I noted upthread and was ignored. I don't mind being ignored because it put money in my pocket.

How exactly does it do that? I bet we all want to know. How much did you make off LENR investments so far?

• Not really. A person who does not believe conventional calorimetry with a reasonable input to output ratio will probably not believe HAD either.

It is one of these watershed threshold developments that will cause LENR to break out. Like when Jones Beene couldn't believe all the transmutations from Rossi's device so he started saying that Rossi spiked the ash. It's either spiked ash or Rossi's got the goods. And it's either HAD with a pretty damned high COP (since there's no input energy) or the entire field is filled with frauds. Either MFMP detects gamma rays in an ordinary LENR experiment that cheaply can be repeated or the world has gone Mad.

Eventually what happens is that we get someone like Mary Yugo to fire up some pycnodeuterium or something like that and then all his friends call him a fraud, so we move to the next skeptopath on down the line until no one is willing to call it fraud. But those days are probably well into the future and the best efforts are in the MFMP camp.

Not really. A person who does not believe conventional calorimetry with a reasonable input to output ratio will probably not believe HAD either.

It's not about "belief" -- it's about really good evidence. If the source is reliable, if the effect is large and sustained for substantial time, if the measurement method is straightforward and well calibrated, and if the presentation is clear, why would someone not consider it? It would be replicated by formally by an independent lab to nail it down. But why would anyone reasonable not believe it if the criteria are met?

• OK, so this is directed mainly at Jed Rothwell but of course, anyone who has information can respond. In November 2014, Mizuno presented these photos:

deleteme.jpg

deleteme2.jpg

http://lenr-canr.org/acrobat/YoshinoHreplicable.pdf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DB_MRUX4mo0

Interestingly, in the Youtube video, there was a question and answer segment and nobody asked about these! Yet to me, they are BY FAR the most important aspect of the work. If indeed, Mizumo can extract 1 kW from a low or no input power with his "Scarlett" device, then we are nearing or have definitive proof of LENR heat generation. But this was 2014! And the device looks hooked up and ready to go. WHAT HAPPENED TO IT? Why aren't we concentrating on and talking about that?

• Another thing (completely separate issue I think) ... is this Mizuno's company? Because a) he is not mentioned that I could find browsing briefly on the web site and b) the web site has essentially zero information content about what has been done and what is claimed. It looks like investor bait and not very good bait at that.

http://cleanplanet.co.jp/index.php?lang=en

• If the source is reliable, if the effect is large and sustained for substantial time, if the measurement method is straightforward and well calibrated, and if the presentation is clear, why would someone not consider it?

What source could be more reliable than peer-reviewed papers in major journals reporting research at Toyota? If 140 W is not large, how big does it have to be? If reactions lasting hours or days, following a week of heat that produces hundreds of times more than any chemical source is not substantial, what would be?

The results meet all of your criteria. They exceed them by orders of magnitude in some ways. Yet you yourself do not believe them. Heck, you don't even understand them, although this is 18th century physics.

So: You tell us. What is it about your psychological makeup that causes you & others to reject experimental results that in any other field, in any other context, every scientist on earth would instantly accept? This is your problem, not ours. If these experimental results do not convince you, no results will. You will not believe it until you have permission from Nature or the DoE, or until it is commercialized.

Unfortunately, in the modern era, many people are like you. They reject science and embrace a weird form of religion in which misinterpreted textbook theory overrules facts. Huizenga was the best example. Or they invent crackpot theories to explain away anything they do not want to believe. Such people have always been common, but I think we are at a low ebb in which they dominate science.

• You will not believe it until you have permission from Nature or the DoE, or until it is commercialized.

I dislike the dialog being put into characterizations of belief. But this aspect of not accepting perfectly good scientific data until it is commercialized is another threshold to consider about skeptopaths. Basically, they're the peanut gallery and will continue to throw their bullshit around until LENR is commercialized, so they offer no value in the discourse. They can be replaced by a bobblehead doll that nods its head to scientific "consensus" until they are proven wrong and when you look back on their contributions, the bobblehead doll would have been more useful. Your advice to me was to ignore them but that's like ignoring seagulls when you're sitting outside trying to eat lunch at a picnic table.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.