LENR, the Infallibility of Theoretical Physics and Enrico Fermi

• Official Post

I caught this interesting post making a parallel between Emdrive critics today and Nuclear Fission critics at time of Fermi.

The parallell with LENR critics, is clear.

This article attack the critics based on "it is impossible".

http://pages.csam.montclair.ed…lski/cf/293wikipedia.html

The reddit article is

https://www.reddit.com/r/EmDri…y_of_theoretical_physics/

For those knowing Thomas Kuhn work, it is just boring usual situation.

http://www.uky.edu/~eushe2/Pajares/kuhnsyn.html

• Cold fusion cannot happen. It does not exist. What happens in LENR is the decay of the proton and neutron. The mesons that this decay produces creates the occurrence of muon catalyzed fusion. This confusion about cold fusion theory in the minds of cold fusion zealots is what steps on their own LENR message to the confusion of orthodox science. Since LENR has now been shown to occur using protium. this undercuts the deuterium fusion meme and forces us to consider the PP fusion process. This type of fusion is highly improbable and is surly rejected by science as possible. improbable to the tune of happening once every many millions of years.

"For consistency, all time scales reported here are taken from Clayton (1968). The only reaction that is of uncertain time scale is the initial proton-proton fusion, which is too slow to measure in a laboratory. So the time scale is computed from basic theory. Hansen & Kawaler (1994) give the time scale 6,000,000,000 years, whereas Clayton gives 7,900,000,000. Bohme-Vitense (1992) gives 14,000,000,000 years, but for the lower temperature of 14,000,000 Kelvins. The one thing that is certain is that the reaction is slow."

p + p --> d + e+ + nu 7.9 x 109years

p + p + e- --> d + nu 1012 years

Holmlid states in his latest paper:

The high-energy protons are only formed by the D + 3He reaction step, which is relatively unlikely and for example not observed in our laser-induced D+D fusion study in D(0) [14]. Any high-energy neutrons would not be observed in the present experiments. Thus, ordinary fusion D+D cannot give the observed particle velocities. Further, similar particle velocities are obtained also from the laser-induced processes in p(0) as seen in Figs 4, 6 and 7 etc, where no ordinary fusion process can take place. Thus, it is apparent that the particle energy observed is derived from other nuclear processes than ordinary fusion

Cold fusion cannot happen. It does not exist. What happens in LENR is the decay of the proton and neutron. The mesons that this decay produces creates the occurrence of muon catalyzed fusion.

Nonsense. Explain why no mesons are observed during cold fusion and why helium and tritium gets formed instead.

• Official Post

the key to the discussion is that using theoretical arguments against experiments is not the way Science do it.

Most pathoskeptics says it cannot happen so it does not happen, and at best throw wildcard arguments that have not and mostly cannot be checked.

axil says the theory is wrong. I can agree as long as it is observed, and his explanation is matching observations. Zephir_AWT disagree because of observations, which seems to be fair critic.

Not the same debate.

• With reference to post #2, Piantelli says PP fusion, the kind of fusion that Ni/H LENR requires, is, to all intents and purpose, impossible. It is impossible even inside the core of the Sun.

However, you could get Helium from successive additions of a pseudo particle (H-, Negaton, e- p e-, etc) to Titanium isotopes or Carbon for instance. 12C is in this way a true catalyst.

Lastly, Shoulders says that very large charge clusters turn the charged ions into a sub- nucleon soup, which makes these fusion reaction calculations irrelevant. Polariton clusters (EVO) can turn matter into a quark soup and Ken Shoulders has seen it occur in his experiments.

Kenneth Shoulders - @41m29s - On the Cold Fusion community

"I can take the top list of everybody that I know of in cold fusion…

where its at… that is supposed to be a forward moving field… it’s dead…

dead in the water… they really are bad… take a list of the top guys in

that business, or ex-business - I can name guys like Storms, McKubre,

Miley - all those and everybody of their ilk - that I know well - that I

have associated with closely - and when I look at what they do - I have

very little admiration for it - I guess I put storms at the top of the

list - those that seemingly survived all the pitfalls and perils of

being at a high echelon in the field - and that’s about it on that

bunch…"

"SPAWAR has EVOs and they don’t know they have them"

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I found this new physics article that might help explain cold fusion and LENR at the surfaces of palladium, platinum and nickel.

http://advances.sciencemag.org…d=49247736&et_cid=1560550

The atomic orbital shapes at the very surface of the metal are oriented differntly than inside the solid parts. Their elliptical shapes might have something to do with fusion of adsorbed deuterium atoms and nickel proton reactions. The various LENR reactors that excite the catalyst with electric fields and pulses of electricity might be altering those orbitals too.

• Nonsense. Explain why no mesons are observed during cold fusion and why helium and tritium gets formed instead.

No one finds mesons because nobody is looking for them. Helium and tritium get formed via muon catalyzed fusion. Here is one for you, what causes isotopic shift of a neutron from LI7 to Li6. and Ni58 and Ni64 to Ni62? Rossi says it's mesons. After all, Rossi should know.

Nucleon polarizability and long range strong

force from I=2 meson exchange potential

Carl-Oscar Gullström, Andrea Rossi

9 March 2017

https://arxiv.org/pdf/1703.05249

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.