Mizuno : Publication of kW/COP2 excess heat results

• Yes, in near vacuum with both collisional entities essentially free, only at very high energies is coulombic repulsion overcome. By dimensional restraints these activation energies can by greatly lowered. The question may be how can the restraints be simultaneously and oppositely applied to both fusile entities down to a femtometer scale w/o disrupting those restraints. Surface associated phenomena of several sorts may be a route to such restraints. Keeping in mind that the nano to picometer scale of electronic orbitals and atomic structure at say solid to gas or solid to liquid interfaces over sustained times might only contribute up to some limit at lattice or surface dissociation energies. Pulses offer the opportunity to convert lattice inertia into a virtual sub-picometer "vise" to enable fusion. Shielding by oppositely charged entities can greatly lower the collisional barrier, especially when the collisional matrix/interface is nearly static. There are many other categories of surface associated "focusing" phenomena which can also contribute. So besides phase interfaces, there are easily impressed field gradients, chemical and electrochemical discontinuities, as well as surface confined electromagnetic transmission phenomena such as the "skin effect" and surface plasmon resonance. All such have been reported or speculated to be associated with changes in effective mass of electrons-- and likely also, and perhaps not accidentally, with LENR / CANR / LANR / CF AHE reports.

The electrons are confined in dipole oscillation and they function to comfine heat in micro cavities so that the heat can be converted to magnetic flux lines. In order for entanglement between photons and electrons to occur, the electrons and the heat photons must stabilize at the same energy so that entanglement between them can occur.

rpp384610f19_online.jpg

Mizuno told me about some other possible problems with the I.H. replication.

Like what?

In my experience, a replication of something like this will fail the first time, the second time, and for several months. That is normal. It is no reason to give up.

Not a valid explanation. In fact, not even a credible excuse. If that's true, why even try?

If I.H. had not been in a battle with Rossi with hundreds of millions of dollars at stake, I suppose they would have kept their research going. They might have had it working by now.

And here I thought IH had millions and millions to work with, including some $50M just from Woodford. There's always some lame excuse or another for the high power not working. How's Miley doing with his claims these days (proven "fait accompli" hundreds of watts net out with a benchtop device -- some three years ago? Four? Actually it was in 2012! No correction, no retraction, no delivery... at least none I know of.

http://newenergytimes.com/v2/n…tts-for-100-Seconds.shtml

• External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Start video at 8:00 to save time.

Rare earth magnets produce spin because these types of magnets produce anisometric (unbalanced) magnetic field lines.

An electro magnet does not produce spin because it produces isometric (balanced) magnetic field lines.

In the Dennis Cravens golden balls, SmCo5 powder was used to drive the LENR reaction. This type of magnet produces magnetic vortex field lines.

A superfluid like in Holmlid's ultra-dense hydrogen will produce unbalanced magnetic field lines because it is a superconductor. The UDH will behave like a rare earth magnet in producing unbalanced magnetic field lines and thereby produce LENR effects.

The opticle cavities containing confined heat photons produce unbalnced magnetic field lines. These cavities will produce the LENR reaction.

The theta parameter inside the proton will increase when exposed to unbalance magnetic field lines. This parameter controls the color of the gluons inside the proton. When the color of the gluons change, the proton is converted into a kaon. This kaon will decompose in short order to produce energy and other subatomic particles. The axion is the quanta by which the theta parameter changes.

• "In my experience, a replication of something like this will fail the first time, the second time, and for several months. That is normal. It is no reason to give up."

Not a valid explanation. In fact, not even a credible excuse. If that's true, why even try?

It is not an excuse. It is my experience. I have been doing things like this for 40 years, and in my experience they usually fail at first. You have to keep doing it again and again until you learn how to do it right.

"Why even try?" is the kind of question a person who has no imagination and no experience in R&D would ask. Obviously, you try because after months or years of effort, you sometimes succeed.

When you do creative work in an unexplored area, or some task that other people have not done, it is impossible to know ahead of time whether you will succeed. You cannot even tell whether success is possible. You never succeed except after failing at first. As Frederick Brooks put it in The Mythical Man Month you "plan to throw one away." "Where a new system concept or a new technology is used, one has to build a system to throw away, for even the best planning is not so omniscient as to get it right the first time." If that bothers you, don't do R&D! Stop right there. People with attitudes such as Mary Yugo's should never, ever, EVER try anything like this. Anyone who would ask "why even try?" will surely fail.

Nearly all jobs involve doing something that people have done millions of times before, with well-defined methods, textbooks and standards. Mary Yugo is a conformist with no imagination and no desire to read anything or learn anything new. She is strongly opposed to innovation, to trying new things, or taking risks. She is incapable of suspending judgement and she hates to makes mistakes so much that even when she makes an error by a factor of 1,800, she will not admit it. Such people often do excellent work in well-defined, conventional jobs, in established industries. IBM used to be run by people like that. They almost ran it off a cliff into bankruptcy in the 1980s.

And here I thought IH had millions and millions to work with, including some $50M just from Woodford.

That is a mystery to me. I do not understand why they fired the R&D staff, but the papers filed in the lawsuit docket said they did. I have no idea why.

When you do creative work in an unexplored area, or some task that other people have not done, it is impossible to know ahead of time whether you will succeed.

Sure, But LENR is hardly unexplored or never done before. Quite the opposite. Thirty years and thousands of people.

Replicating in a new and suitable place, a "for sure" experiment that's been done many times at one location, should not be that difficult if directed by the SAME person with the SAME equipment. Are you saying the problem was that the lark was not on the wing in IH's lab? Or that they use 115 V AC instead of whatever power they have in Japan? Or that the cooling water from the tap has extra impurities? What implausible reasons for Mizuno's device screwing the pooch when brought to the US do you propose?

People with attitudes such as Mary Yugo's should never, ever, EVER try anything like this.

That will come as a surprise to the folks I work with and have worked with in the past on innovative projects. I guess I should have just stayed at home and perfected my bridge game.

Nearly all jobs involve doing something that people have done millions of times before, with well-defined methods, textbooks and standards. Mary Yugo is a conformist with no imagination and no desire to read anything or learn anything new. She is strongly opposed to innovation, to trying new things, or taking risks. She is incapable of suspending judgement and she hates to makes mistakes so much that even when she makes an error by a factor of 1,800, she will not admit it. Such people often do excellent work in well-defined, conventional jobs, in established industries. IBM used to be run by people like that. They almost ran it off a cliff into bankruptcy in the 1980s.

Well, whatever else you may not be good at, like predicting the dismal failure and ignominy of Rossi and Defkalion, you are perfect at mind reading, in your own view anyway.

• Sure, But LENR is hardly unexplored or never done before. Quite the opposite. Thirty years and thousands of people.

Well not thousands of people, but you miss the point. It has not been done before by anyone at I.H. Or the MFMP for that matter. This particular experiment has not been done by anyone other than Mizuno, so it is an open question as to whether he actually did it, or whether it was a mistake.

The situation is somewhat analogous to a Japanese or Chinese person trying to build a steamship around 1850. In both countries, they managed to do this from textbooks. But they made many mistakes, because they had never seen a steamship up close, and they had no experience building them. It is a lot harder doing it the first time, especially without guidance or instruction.

After the Meiji era began, the Japanese government sent large numbers of young men to Europe and the U.S. to learn technology, law, medicine and other subjects. One of the first people they sent got a physics degree from Cornell U. The Iwakura mission of 1871 included 53 students, including 5 women, the youngest age 7. Four of them went on to have extraordinary lives, and they made important contributions.

Replicating in a new and suitable place, a "for sure" experiment that's been done many times at one location, should not be that difficult if directed by the SAME person with the SAME equipment.

Yes. If Mizuno had stayed for a few months, or if someone from I.H. had gone to Japan for a few months, it would have been more likely to succeed.

This is not a "for sure" experiment. There are no "for sure" experiments in cold fusion.

Yes. If Mizuno had stayed for a few months, or if someone from I.H. had gone to Japan for a few months, it would have been more likely to succeed.

We can agree that had the test had months to be worked on, the success or failure of the repeat experiment might have been more determinative. But after cleaning up methodology in Japan caused the effect to disappear and moving it to be performed under close scrutiny in the US caused it to fail again, one has to have a lot of doubt that it was real to start with. And Mizuno didn't complain he was rushed, at least as far as we know.

It reminds me of the iridologists (remember those people and their claims?) who were tested several decades ago by showing them the irises of normal postpartum patients and those of terminal cancer patients of comparable age. And they could not tell them apart. The photos were crystal clear Kodachromes. The performances were not even as good as chance. So what did the iridologists say? That iridology is bunk? Of course not. They complained that the photos were bad and anyway you have to see the patient in person to perform iridology. The problem? They had not objected to the terms of the test until the results were in. Similarly, if Mizuno thought there was not enough time or the equipment and the technicians were not good enough, the time to complain would have been BEFORE agreeing to do the test.

That is a mystery to me. I do not understand why they fired the R&D staff, but the papers filed in the lawsuit docket said they did. I have no idea why.

Maybe the esteemed Mr. Dewey Weaver can shed some light on that.

• Being shorter than regular transition metal bonds and unbalanced, these microcavities that pit the surface of metal can be up to 10 times stronger than the bonds that connect a perfect crystalline lattice metal structure. In simple terms, the walls of a micro cavity on the surface of a metal is very strong.

When hydrogen atoms enter such a cavity, that atom becomes very energetic because such tight confinement produces extreme energy due to Heisenberg's uncertainty principle.

Ux Up >= ħ/2

(ħ is the reduced Planck constant h / (2π)).

Certain pairs of physical properties of a particle, known as complementary variables: position x and momentum p, can be known only to a fixed degree.

Because the hydrogen atom enteres into a very confining space, its energy is driven to extremes by this quantum effect.

The metal bonds of the cavity absorb this energy of confinement and the atom's temperature eventually equilibrates with that of the lattice. As more hydrogen atoms enter the micro cavity, this new resident atom becomes even more energetic since it has even less space to occupy inside the cavity. This atom's energy will eventually be cooled by the lattice until its temperature eventually equilibrates with that of the lattice.

As more hydrogen atoms enter the cavity, the quantum effects pressure caused by the entrance of that new atom in its turn becomes so great that the pressure reaches a level sufficient to produce a crystal of ultra dense hydrogen.

The engineering takeaways from this quantum compression process:

There is an ideal size that a microcavity shoud be. That size should be just large enough to contain the finished UDH crystal and no bigger.

The LENR fuel preparation process that the sucessful LENR reactor builders undertake requires a long time for the production of ultra dense hydrogen to occur. If sufficient time for the long term absorption of hydrogen and associated quantum compression is not allowed, then the UDH will not reach the proper pressure for UDH formation to occur.

The hydrogen must be isotopically pure for UDH to form.

If lithium is used in conjunction with hydrogen, Ultra dense lithium hydride will form requiring just 1/4 of the quantum pressure. But both the lithium and hydrogen must be isotopically pure. Any isotope poisoning will kill the quantum compression process. That poisoned cavity will not from UDH from then on.

LENR poisons like nitrogen will kill UDH formation, but after UDH formation, poisoning is no longer a consideration.

The UDH will slowly exit the microcavities in which they were formed and activate the LENR reaction. The micrographs of the me356 fuel shows that UDH process and UDH falls from the metal micro cavity containment onto the carbon substrate to catalyze transmutation of carbon into metal.

• Yes, in near vacuum with both collisional entities essentially free, only at very high energies is coulombic repulsion overcome. By dimensional restraints these activation energies can by greatly lowered. The question may be how can the restraints be simultaneously and oppositely applied to both fusile entities down to a femtometer scale w/o disrupting those restraints. Surface associated phenomena of several sorts may be a route to such restraints. Keeping in mind that the nano to picometer scale of electronic orbitals and atomic structure at say solid to gas or solid to liquid interfaces over sustained times might only contribute up to some limit at lattice or surface dissociation energies. Pulses offer the opportunity to convert lattice inertia into a virtual sub-picometer "vise" to enable fusion. Shielding by oppositely charged entities can greatly lower the collisional barrier, especially when the collisional matrix/interface is nearly static. There are many other categories of surface associated "focusing" phenomena which can also contribute. So besides phase interfaces, there are easily impressed field gradients, chemical and electrochemical discontinuities, as well as surface confined electromagnetic transmission phenomena such as the "skin effect" and surface plasmon resonance. All such have been reported or speculated to be associated with changes in effective mass of electrons-- and likely also, and perhaps not accidentally, with LENR / CANR / LANR / CF AHE reports.

Longview, Bocijn,

by "heavy electrons" what are you consider ? Really heavy as muons, or simply a cluster of electrons, or heavy because fast ?

Congratulations for your good Lenr abstract Longview, really close it seems to the reality.

• But after cleaning up methodology in Japan caused the effect to disappear

That is incorrect. They made no deliberate changes to the methodology. They thought they were doing the same thing. As Mizuno pointed out, they made mistakes. That was inadvertent.

Making mistakes is not "cleaning up." In fact these mistakes contaminated the materials, which is the literal opposite of "cleaning up."

Similarly, if Mizuno thought there was not enough time or the equipment and the technicians were not good enough, the time to complain would have been BEFORE agreeing to do the test.

How could he have known this beforehand? Does he have a time machine?

It is difficult to judge, but the technicians probably were good enough. If they had continued, I suppose they would have succeeded. They are impressive people, in my opinion. Even impressive people sometimes make mistakes. That's no big deal. You learn from your mistake and try again.

• JedRothwell

the management at China Lake locked him out of the lab, took away his telephone, and assigned him to a menial job as a stock room clerk. Miles was a "Distinguished Fellow" of China Lake, meaning a professor who was allowed to do any research he liked. It is like having tenure at a university. He had national and international awards from many leading institutions. So they did not fire him outright. Instead, they made it impossible for him to do any more research.

I Googled for evidence of this from Miles himself and in detail as to what happened and who did what to whom, but could not find it. Is it documented somewhere in credible form other than your hearsay version? There are many mentions that Miles' work was not supported past a certain point at China Lake but stock clerk?

I did find this -what seems to be maybe an FOI request by Krivit and which says:

That *seems* to be in Miles' own words but doesn't say he became a stock room clerk-- it says he was ordered to help a clerk with an inventory. Knowing government employment, I do not think his pay rank or tenure were affected. If this even happened. Also, to whom is this attributed? Anyone have it in Miles' own words? It seems quite weird. Did he appeal any of this? U.S. Government work isn't like industry. You can't demote people without serious cause and many hearings.

http://newenergytimes.com/v2/g…hi-FOIA-00929-00952-W.pdf

Jed wrote the same story back in 2009 but it seems to be a classic Jed hyperbolic misstatement.

https://www.mail-archive.com/v…@eskimo.com/msg35109.html

It would be interesting to hear from Miles what REALLY went on. Maybe he was told to work on something else and refused?

Jed again:

Perhaps you do not appreciate the extent of opposition to cold fusion and other claims of anomalous energy. Read what happened to Melvin Miles when he published. His account is at LENR-CANR.org. He was a Fellow of China Lake, which is like having tenure. You can study anything you like. Nevertheless, they threw him out of the lab, took away his telephone, and assigned him a menial job as a stock room clerk. He got the message and resigned. That’s what they do to distinguished scientists and Fellows. An ordinary scientist would be summarily fired and would never again hold a job in academia.

http://coldfusioncommunity.net…ence-and-legal-decisions/

Of course, as Jed maintains I never read anything, I found the above with my well developed psychic power.

• And Mizuno was claiming "no input power" apparently as far back as 2009 -- as per Jed Rothwell here:

Mizuno presented the creosote in hydrogen experiment that he presented at ICCF-14 in more detail, from a paper that has been accepted for publication. He has made more progress recently with a scaled up device and different catalysts, both platinum and nickel. He hopes to present these newer results soon. Mizuno has invited me to visit again. If the gadget works well enough, i.e. with no input power, I hope to go to Sapporo and have a first-hand look

https://www.mail-archive.com/v…@eskimo.com/msg35109.html

• As to Jed's above remarks, I was basing my assertions about what happened on Shane D's post quoted below. Did Shane D misquote?

You need to keep reading. The quotes from Mizuno show there was probably contamination.

The test in Florida was different from the one in Sapporo. I did not think it was an improvement. Also, I disagree with the statement that Mizuno was unable to see the same effect after the changes made in Sapporo.

• Is it documented somewhere in credible form other than your hearsay version?

Go to LENR-CANR.org and use the Google search box for "Miles, stockroom." I do not recall the specific document title.

I have discussed this matter with Miles. I have documents from the management to Miles assigning him to the stockroom, and his responses. That is not "hearsay." It is called "reporting" from "original source documents signed by government officials."

• This is the only document returned by the search: http://lenr-canr.org/acrobat/MilesMisoperibol.pdf . Miles does not write that he was "made a stock clerk" or demoted to a stock clerk, as Rothwell asserts. This is what the paper I didn't read (because according to Jed, I never do), actually says:

With the loss of the ONR funding, management at China Lake dictated that no further work on the F-P effect was to
    be done. Dr. Johnson moved on to a position in Idaho, and Dr. Miles was assigned by the Head
    of the Chemistry Department at China Lake (Dr. Robin A. Nissan) to report to the stockroom
    clerk for the inventory of chemicals [24]. No further studies of the F-P effect were made at
    China Lake after 1995.

Obviously, Dr. Nissan did not hold Dr. Miles and his work in high esteem, however Dr. Miles was reassigned, however inappropriately, and not demoted as Rothwell repeatedly claimed over a decade. Dr. Miles could have transferred or retired with his GS rank (if he was a GS employee) intact, and his pay and retirement benefits unaffected. I agree he was sent a message *if* this really happened. But his *official* employment status did not become degraded to that of a stock clerk, however more impressive a claim (and a disingenuous one) this may be!

For some strange reason, Dr. Miles gives a reference for the claim in the above quote -- strange if it was his own words in the paper. Anyway, that reference is behind a paywall and even though I was willing to pay a few bucks to get at that issue of New Scientist, although the periodical offered that chance, when I clicked on the link, I got only an offer to download an app which I do not want to do. If there are subscribers to NS here, perhaps they can tell us what is in pp. 36-43 about Dr. Miles. Or perhaps, someone can email him or invite him here for his own statement. Jed is so well know to exaggerate that he was nicknamed "Frothwell" in one of the email exchanges in the FOI act request from krivit. The NS article reference in the Fleischmann and Miles paper mentioned above is: B. Daviss, “Reasonable Doubt”, New Scientist, 29 March 2003, pp. 36-43.

The subject issue can be downloaded here if you are a subscriber or perhaps if you have the app:

https://www.newscientist.com/issue/2388%20/

But don't rely on me for any of this because I never read or understand anything. Just ask reliable Jed.

• Official Post

Mary,

Good of you to actually research something, but that said I think you are splitting hairs. For a high level research chemist to be re-tasked to inventory control is a demotion however you look at it. Even if it is temporary. It would be like a Chief Pilot telling one of his line pilots to go be a Flight Attendant for a day. Quite the insult, and that pilot would forever be marked for it.

I am sure Miles is still stinging from the rebuke. Unfortunately, his is just one of the many stories of government scientists taking a professional beating for their interest in LENR.

• Shane, *if* it happened, I bet you there were a lot of heated words exchanged from both sides ahead of it. What should management do to a pilot who decides to ferry a plane to Chicago rather than New York as ordered, because he feels the equipment is more needed there based on his own personal information? Think he would continue working for that airline? That's the appropriate analogy. Miles was probably told to find something else to work on and probably argued vociferously about it. I don't know that but it seems only logical. Why else would a lab chief waste expensive talent? You can bet the lab had to continue paying Miles as usual including all benefits until he retired or quit.

What I was really pointing out was that Jed was hyping stuff AS USUAL and saying misleading things. It's one thing to give a scientist menial work as a disciplinary issue. It is quite another to put them in a lesser position which pays less. What Jed wrote strongly implies the latter. I simply called him on it. And I'd still like to hear/read direct from Miles and from his boss what really happened here. Unless Miles became a major P I T A, it makes no sense.

PS: I often "research" things (you mean look things up? I don't consider that to be a proper use of the word "research"). And when I split hares, it's usually to make stew.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.