Nickel/Hydrogen Attempt

• I have been attempting the dissolution of hydrogen into plated Nickel over a 12 month period but without any apparent generation of excess energy. The apparatus consisted of a 1kW quartz element inside a 25mm diameter stainless steel tube (180mm long) which I had plated with 200um of Nickel. This was then sealed in a copper vessel with an external water jacket, circulation pump and fan assisted radiator. I used electrolysis to generate hydrogen where the pressure around the sample was maintained by adjusting the electrolysis drive current. The heating element and the Nickel tube were thermocoupled so that any temperature changes could be monitored (0.1degC resolution). The heating element was used to heat the Nickel up to a maximum of 900degC in order to reduce the Nickel surface and also to try and initiate activity in the Nickel lattice after hydrogen had been dissolved over various periods of time. Labview was used to control and record the electrolysis current (based on the hydrogen pressure) and the sample temperature (using phase control of the heater element). A Geiger counter was also used to monitor radiation adjacent to the pressure vessel. All data was logged onto a hard drive for later analysis. The intention was to use thermal impulses to initiate activity and to look for any anomalies in the cooling characteristics. I saw no significant thermal activity over the 12 month period. Photographs of the apparatus are available but it is current dismantled whilst processing the accumulated data and considering further experiments. 26/8/17

• Welcome hortons. It sounds like you know your way around a lab bench.

Francesco Piantelli is one of the pioneers of the nickel-hydrogen system and has reported good results. Have you looked at any of Piantelli's descriptions? He mentions many things besides nickel. For example: "In alternative, or in a combination, the secondary material arranged to interact with the protons is selected among the transition metals, in particular the secondary material is selected from the group consisting of: 232Th, 236U, 239U, 239Pu." I would not restrict attempts only to nickel.

• Hi Eric,

Thanks for the feedback. I will have a look at the link. I have a long standing interest in alternative energy sources so am willing to have go at anything promising (as long as the cost is not too unreasonable). I have many years experience in the electronics/instrumentation industry so am able to design/build most of the equipment myself. My wife is a physicist so we work together on the physics theory and design of experiments. Kind regards Steve.

• Steve,

Just a passing thought. Have you considered a tungsten heater, rather than quartz, in order to dissociate the H2 to H?

• Hi Adrian,

The heater I used was a tungsten coil in a quartz tube. Previous reading on the subject led me to believe that one any oxide had been removed from the nickel, that molecular hydrogen dissociated into atomic hydrogen at the surface. Is this not so?

Regards Steve.

• Hi Alan,

Thanks for the welcome Alan. Support and criticism are welcome. I would like to make a positive contribution to this particular field but am aware that basing experiments on conventional knowledge (physics?) may not be successful. My experience is in electronics, sensors and control systems and so I am capable of designing and building custom equipment so that test profiles can be automated and data can be recorded over extended periods. However, with so many different results being presented, it is difficult to know which experiment is most likely to produce measurable and repeatable results (particularly when a small error may make the experiment ineffective)? I hope that others' experiences may help me to provide results that in turn help others.

Kind regards Steve.

• Official Post

It seems we don't yet need physicists;), but good experimenters with rigor.

You seems to have key competence.

The key seems around metallurgy, and chemistry is practically essential.

I cannot help, and you seems to say it is not your best contribution, but sure there are many people with various specialty here, to complete yours.

Did you consider playing with Pd/D ? Many lines of experiments are confirmed but under-explored. It seems harder however...

• The key to LENR is to localize electrons. This is accomplished by producing a very rough surface topology on the metal. Nano and micro sized cracks and bumps will produce the electron behavior that is required.

One can prepare this rough surface using sputtering, electric arcing, cavitation, using an alloy of a metal that will erode in an acid and another metal that does not erode shuh as aluminum and nickel processed in a acid that erodes aluminum...some researchers use constantan wire and process it with an acid that erodes copper.

You will know that you are making progress when you see the zener effect. This shows that you are creating superconductive solitons in the cracks, pits and bumps in the metal.

The metal will localize EMF fields (surface polaritons) on the rough surface as follows:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqntI4AAmOXn4EGD6gM9_3X8cC1meU-fGlYhNgOkHfuFZ95N2g9g

Some people use lithium as a getter to clean the surface of the nickel of air and carbon and sequester hydrogen. The pitted metal surface must be very clean.

• Steve,

"once any oxide had been removed from the nickel, that molecular hydrogen dissociated into atomic hydrogen at the surface. Is this not so?"

I don't know for sure, but at best it is ambiguous.

Having the tungsten in a quartz tube prevents its action on the H2. I recall in the very early days Rossi commented that he had changed from a tungsten wire and found it didn't work nearly as well. I don't know how close the tungsten has to be to the nickel to keep the atomic H in that form.

• ps,

Maybe a tungsten wire wound as a helix on a quartz tube would hold it in position close to the nickel.

• Steve,

"once any oxide had been removed from the nickel, that molecular hydrogen dissociated into atomic hydrogen at the surface. Is this not so?"

I don't know for sure, but at best it is ambiguous.

Having the tungsten in a quartz tube prevents its action on the H2. I recall in the very early days Rossi commented that he had changed from a tungsten wire and found it didn't work nearly as well. I don't know how close the tungsten has to be to the nickel to keep the atomic H in that form.

See

Hot electrons do the impossible in catalytic chemistry

http://phys.org/news/2012-12-h…-catalytic-chemistry.html

The rough surface will produce high electron energies and that will dissociate H2.

• I had not considered that the heating element material would have a direct influence on the dissociation of the hydrogen. In my particular set-up the heating element was not in close contact with the nickel surface as the nickel plating was (primarily) plated on the outside of the stainless steel tube. The heating element was included to 1) reduce the nickel surface by heating to above 600 degC. 2) Periodically cycle the sample temperature to see if this increased the hydrogen absorption. 3) To induce thermal impulses to try and induce a self heating process. The system was essentially sealed with a pressure sensing system maintaining a fixed positive pressure in the vessel by automatic control of the electrolysis current (generating the hydrogen). I was assuming that the steady state electrolysis current was a measure of the rate of absorption of the hydrogen into the nickel. This steady state current initially started quite high but reduced over several months. I assumed that that this indicated initial high absorption which decreased as the hydrogen loading increased. There was still some electrolysis current at the end of 9 months but I am not sure whether this was due to hydrogen diffusing out of the system or whether it was still being absorbed.

• I did consider doing the experiments using Deuterium into Palladium (and spent a considerable time developing the required calorimetry) but I was not confident that I would be able to keeping the Deuterium uncontaminated by moisture.

In contrast, continuous Hydrogen production is relatively simple using electrolysis (although the extended period meant that I had to change from carbon electrodes to platinised titanium as the carbon disintegrated over time).

• I assumed that that this indicated initial high absorption which decreased as the hydrogen loading increased.

Unlike palladium, nickel does not really load with hydrogen even under electrolysis. Whatever is happening, then, in the nickel-hydrogen system, if anything is happening at all, would appear not to involve loading.

• Official Post

Actually Ni powder will absorb/adsorb hydrogen, there are many papers on the topic with explanations of methods and data. But solid Ni, as Eric says above not normally considered to be a candidate. The document below was written some time ago by Hank Mills and myself and covers the field somewhat. (For certain values of 'covers'.)

• Official Post

I was very interested by discussion with Nicolas Armanet of I2HMR about Hydogen in metal, and especially the alpha and beta phase in Pd.

He told that for Ni it was much harder, that the penetration of beta phase was very shallow.

Temperature do help, but as I remember it is anyway hard in Ni.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.