Nickel/Hydrogen Attempt

• I had originally plated up two nickel samples at about 2.2A/dm2. This was equivalent to about 18g of nickel (200um on the tube). Both samples had a dull surface finish after plating. Initially when hydrogen was introduced, the generation of hydrogen using electrolysis was unable to keep up with the pressure drop in the vessel. This initial phase was done with the sample temperature stabilized at 250degC. During this phase, the hydrogen was passed through a bubble reservoir so the electrolysis current had to be adjusted manually. If the electrolysis was turned off, the bubble reservoir would get sucked back up towards the vessel. I am not sure where the hydrogen was going if it was not being absorbed by the nickel? Subsequently, the bubbler was replaced with a pressure sensor which was used to automatically control the electrolysis current to give a constant internal pressure. The electrolysis current was logged so that the hydrogen uptake could be calculated if required. Various sample temperatures were tried to see if hydrogen uptake occurred could be optimized.

• Official Post

hortons

I have a lot of experience with hydrogen systems of all kinds. It leaks like crazy for a start. I recently put (as I thought) a temporary seal of pvc tape over a vacated hole in a hydrogen producing reactor, only to find that even at very low pressure hydrogen walks though tape like it isn't there. Every joint and seal needs very careful assembly and leak-testing. You may be losing more hydrogen than you imagine to 'nowhere'.

'Suck-back' in switched-off electrolytic systems at low pressure is a strange phenomenon I have encountered myself. I can only assume it is a recombination effect. It does have mysterious features though.

• Hi Alan, thanks for sharing your similar experiences. I am sure that I have some diffusion loss but these 'losses' did appear to reduce significantly over time. What I could not explain was that if I turned off the electrolysis it would go into 'negative' excess pressure and I would think that pure leakage would just give an exponential decay to atmospheric pressure. Do you think this is some recombination effect in the electrolysis system?

• Official Post

Thank you for the photos. I am running a test right now, so don't have time to study them at the minute.

Pressure loss? Well, I am not sure it is recombination per se, since I have seen it even in pure hydrogen systems. Remember that the temperature will drop in your electrolysis system when powered down, and that will cause a pressure drop. But it is one of life's little mysteries, fer sure.

Later!.

• Hi Alan,

Yes, before automating the pressure control system, I had to be careful to ensure that the electrolysis current was turned up during cooling phases otherwise the hydrogen pressure drop could ingest trap water or electrolyte! Once it was running closed-loop it was less of a problem. Fast positive thermal transients would cause excess hydrogen to bubble off but as long as the excess was replenished during cooling then liquids (or air) would not be ingested. I'm sorry the photographs are not annotated but if there is any interest I can do so. The shot of my laptop screen gives an indication of what is being controlled. The important parameters were logged to the file name indicated on the screen. This is automatically date stamped so that data does not mixed up. The 'Thermal Control File' is a text file that can be selected which permits the sample temperature to be changed between temperature set points over defined time periods (from seconds to days), whilst the data is logged.

• Having dismantled the equipment and weighed the sample (which has been thermally cycled for about 8 months in a hydrogen atmosphere), I find no evidence of any weight gain. Although the sample may have lost some weight when the surface was reduced, I have to conclude that any hydrogen losses have not been due to dissolution into the nickel. Will have to try something else...

• Having dismantled the equipment and weighed the sample (which has been thermally cycled for about 8 months in a hydrogen atmosphere), I find no evidence of any weight gain. Although the sample may have lost some weight when the surface was reduced, I have to conclude that any hydrogen losses have not been due to dissolution into the nickel. Will have to try something else...

I respectfully submit for your attention a factor that may be leading you to a misinterpretation of the function of nickel and hydrogen in the LENR reaction. Nickel does not absorb hydrogen. It plays the part of a catalyst that is enabled by hydrogen as a dielectric. Nickel and hydrogen combine to AMPLIFY and convert EMF (heat) into a spin based magnetic field whose gain could exceed billions or even trillions. To begin your education into this subject see as follows:

http://www.physics.siu.edu/~ls…hysicsToday/1.3554315.pdf

• Axil. Nickel DOEs adsorb/absorb hydrogen. There have been literally hundreds of papers written on the topic. In fact there are industrial processes that depend upon it. A few sources are linked in the attached short paper.

http://www.nature.com/nature/j…3/n3371/abs/133872a0.html

Absorption of Hydrogen by Nickel

J. SMITTENBERG

Abstract

IN order to measure the adsorption of hydrogen by pure nickel, free from oxygen, I used a silica tube, containing 12 kilometres of a very thin nickel wire (total weight of the wire 42 grams, mean diameter 0.022 mm.), giving an available surface of at least 8,400 cm.2. The preliminary results indicate that between 200° and 650° C., and pressures up to 0.2 mm. Hg, there is no measurable adsorption of hydrogen, but an appreciable absorption (homogeneous solution). The results are in good agreement with Sieverts' measurements with much thicker nickel wire at higher pressures and temperatures1. The amount of absorbed hydrogen at a constant temperature is, within the experimental error, proportional to the square root of the pressure, and increases at constant pressure with increasing temperature, obeying the simple equation: log a = AB/T. The heat of absorption, calculated from this isobare, is a little less than 3 k.cal. per gram mol hydrogen.

Use some common sense.

Piantelli has stated that any of the many transition metals can be used to support the LENR reacttion

The useful metals, as described in WO2010058288, can be Sc, Ti, V, Cr, Mn, Fe, Co, Ni, Rb, Sr, Y, Zr, Nb, Mo, Tc, Ru, Rh, Pd, Ag, Cd, In, Sn, Sb, Te, Cs, Ba, La, Ce, Pr, Nd, Pm, Sm, Eu, Gd, Tb, Dy, Ho, Er, Tm, Yb, Lu, Hf, Ta, W, Re, Os, Ir, Pt, Au, Th, U, Pu and transuranic metals, an alloy or, more in general, a mixture of two or more than two of the above listed metals.

The hydogen absorption characteristics of that long list of metals vary widely. The EMF catalytic nature of the metal/hydrogen interface is the active agent in the LENR reaction.

• The preliminary results indicate that between 200° and 650° C., and pressures up to 0.2 mm. Hg, there is no measurable adsorption of hydrogen, but an appreciable absorption (homogeneous solution). The results are in good agreement with Sieverts' measurements with much thicker nickel wire at higher pressures and temperatures1. The amount of absorbed hydrogen at a constant temperature is, within the experimental error, proportional to the square root of the pressure, and increases at constant pressure with increasing temperature, obeying the simple equation:

0.2 mmHg = 0.0039 PSI

• A technique that Mizuno developed to allow hydrogen to adhere to nickel is to create nano sized optical cavities in the surface of the nickel by pitting it with electric arc discharge. The broken molecular bonds produced by arc discharge are up to 10 time stronger than normal nickel molecular bonding. These bonds provide sufficient strength to compress the hydrogen into a metallic form as hydrogen atoms gradually found entry into the cavities produced by the nano-pitting.

After such pitting, the nickel plate became LENR active.

http://lenr-canr.org/acrobat/KanekoKcoldfusion.pdf

In 1989 at the U.S. University of Utah, when cold fusion attracted attention, the approach

then used was electrolysis of a palladium electrode with heavy water (deuterium) in the solution.

In subsequent studies, in addition to the electrolysis method, the gas loading method of injecting

deuterium gas has been developed with increasing reproducibility. Nowadays, the gas loading

system has become more mainstream than the electrolytic system. The Mizuno method being

tested by Tohoku University and by Clean Planet, and also the Arata method being tested by

Technova and Kobe University, both evolved from the gas loading technique.

In addition, “palladium and nickel nano-structures of the surface of the sample, deposited on

a substrate such as copper, trigger the nuclear reaction; and this has been found to be a major key

to excess heat generation,” according to Professor Iwamura of Tohoku University.

http://lenr-canr.org/acrobat/MizunoTmethodofco.pdf

Look at figure 19 and 20

• Thanks for the article. My test samples were based on similar information. I based the experiment on 200um of nickel plated onto a stainless steel tube with a 1kW heater element up the inside which could be used to de-oxidize the Nickel and to apply slow (to encourage absorption) or fast (to try and trigger excess heat) thermal cycles. (Note: The plating current density was quite high to give a textured surface, to increase the surface area). The system was flushed with hydrogen before slowly raising the sample temperature up to 850 degC (over 24 hour period). I then did many cycles between 150degC and 450degC (6 hours/cycle) to try and induce loading. However, 1) I did not have equipment to put the vessel under vacuum to assist in reduction and my hydrogen pressure and 2) the test vessel was only kept slightly over atmospheric pressure (50mm/water) to ensure that air did not get back into the system if there were any leaks. Could this have affected surface reduction and loading?

• Hi Alan, thanks for the very interesting articles. There is a lot of Edmund Storm's ideas which I agree with. e.g. that there must be a combination of factors which must be in place in order for CF to be observed, otherwise it would be more evident around us. Normally one would try and produce a required effect, then adjust the parameters to maximize required outcome. It just seems that with CF, these essential factors haven't been reliably defined yet. I will probably spend the next few months formulating the next experiment and trying to assemble the necessary hardware to run over the winter, so the suggestions and papers are really welcome. I may throw a few ideas into the forum to see if anyone has already tried them already, as time is too precious to repeat failures. Regards Steve.

• Hi Alan, thanks for the very interesting articles. There is a lot of Edmund Storm's ideas which I agree with. e.g. that there must be a combination of factors which must be in place in order for CF to be observed, otherwise it would be more evident around us. Normally one would try and produce a required effect, then adjust the parameters to maximize required outcome. It just seems that with CF, these essential factors haven't been reliably defined yet. I will probably spend the next few months formulating the next experiment and trying to assemble the necessary hardware to run over the winter, so the suggestions and papers are really welcome. I may throw a few ideas into the forum to see if anyone has already tried them already, as time is too precious to repeat failures. Regards Steve.

Here is a patent that conforms to the correct theory of the LENR reaction.

https://www.google.com/patents/US20150162104

In my opinion, you would be well served to replicate the experiments of Leif Holmlid who has the correct road to LENR identified.

Here is Holmlid's latest experiment

http://journals.plos.org/ploso…69895#pone.0169895.ref007

Most of the LENR results are produced by the formation of metallic hydrogen and its special activation mechanism (KERR effect ,,, Holmlid uses a laser) as a coherent system. If you can produce metallic hydrogen, then you will have the LENR reaction by the balls,

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.