An improvised quick carbon arc experiment [result: inconclusive]

• I attempted to replicate the Ohsawa experiments. It was thoroughly, but fruitless. I used spectral graphite rods and distilled water. After running on air, graphite powder became shined granules. However, these granules, after ignition, burned completely. The ash amount was less than 0.01% (equal to that for the initial rods). When I run the arc underwater, the black residue was formed. However, it had not ash also. So sad...

• I attempted to replicate the Ohsawa experiments. It was thoroughly, but fruitless. I used spectral graphite rods and distilled water. After running on air, graphite powder became shined granules. However, these granules, after ignition, burned completely. The ash amount was less than 0.01% (equal to that for the initial rods). When I run the arc underwater, the black residue was formed. However, it had not ash also. So sad...

Is there anybody who made it successfully?

• Plasmoid Trappers

you attempted a very fundamental thing so you should give more informations on it ?

For example how and where you filled oxygen ???

I attempted to replicate the Ohsawa experiments. It was thoroughly, but fruitless. I used spectral graphite rods and distilled water. After running on air, graphite powder became shined granules. However, these granules, after ignition, burned completely. The ash amount was less than 0.01% (equal to that for the initial rods). When I run the arc underwater, the black residue was formed. However, it had not ash also. So sad...

For what it's worth, I have occasionally re-attempted more recently the popular carbon arc experiment in water after getting 8-mm diameter graphite electrodes and using up 70A current (at 7-8V), but there's not much that I could report about them (they are usually short, messy, and quickly overheat cables and power supply; I should have got thinner electrodes) other than at least with those I have a faint sulfur-like smell gets generated. I doubt that my electrodes are high-purity, but some people claim that an O+O=S reaction is possible with electrolysis (albeit under different conditions), so who knows?

I never checked again for ferromagnetic carbon particles, but it's known that some forms of carbon may exhibit strong diamagnetism.

• It was a pure replication of the G. Ohsawa graphite methods. The first test was with the graphite rods and graphite powder on the graphite plate, on air. The second one - underwater, in the graphite crucible. All of the items were made from pure graphite (less than 50 ppm impurities). The welding machine was used as a power source. No glass devices, no complicated. Just an arc. The adjusting was manual. I touched by the rode to the plate (or to the crucible's bottom) and then pushed him back to make a gap about 5mm. Kept the arc about several seconds, then interrupted it. Repeated it several times. Then collected and burned the residues to make ash. After that, I computed an ash content and made a chemical analysis of ashes made from initial and treated graphites.

• Official Post

Plasmoid Trappers , did you follow a protocol similar to the one laid out by Singh et al 1994? How long did you produced the Arc?

Here attached Singh paper. Also attached an experiment reported by Slobodan Stankovic that treated a graphite rod with "HHO" flame, and found some changes, note very conclusive but still interesting.

I also have read that Santilli found notorious changes in the graphite rods he uses but he does it in a gas filled chamber, with either Hydrogen or deuterium. He found mostly Silica in his rods after the arcing took place for a period of time.

• Curbina

From the Singh et al. paper it could be interesting to repeat the experiment by injecting air (or possibly, only nitrogen) into the water rather than covering the jar to prevent possible dust contamination. Part of the results could be from dissolved gases rather than environmental dust.

• Good day, Curbina!

Thank you for the papers you had sent to me.

Without any doubts, these are good, precision, and thorough investigations. However...

1. Nobody of them has achieved to 5% transmutation (that was declared as a minimal by Ohsawa). The results obtained these researchers are placed far far away to that. Unfortunately.

2. M. Singh et al can't repeat his own first good results. It is sad and strange.

Typically, an R&D is developed as follow:

A. Planning the experiments.

B. Running the experiments.

C. Analysis of the obtained results, creation of the model of investigated process.

D. Determination of the optimal conditions for the best result.

E. Running the experimenting under conditions, determined in the item "D" to check the adequacy of the model obtained in the item "C".

It looks like these guys had not performed (or had not published) the items "D" and "E". Or, it is an unreproducible result - the nightmare for each researcher.

3. As for me, it is not propper to make analysis carbon-contained samples. It makes big mistakes. I have some unpleasant expirience with that. When I run XR-fluorescent analysis of that samples I have obtained spectrums with the "palisade" of the high peaks of lot of elements. Calculation gave high contents of many elements. However, after the calcination, I did not obtain a tengible amount of ash. Not more that I can obtain from the initial graphite. What is the cause of that - I don't know.

4. I can't find the source of LENR in the vulgar flame, even if it is H2-O2 flame. What is the mechanism of transmutation under these conditions, at least hypothetical?

5. All of the above are just my personal opinion and friendly remarks.

• Official Post

Plasmoid Trappers, I agree measuring elements into solids is a complex business, questioning the techniques used to obtain measures is always a good thing, but when you perform calcination you are also risking volatilization of compounds unless you capture the combusting gases. A proper mass balance would solve the doubts.

In the case of the HHO flame, the type of electrolyzer used is what makes the difference. The flame coming from the combustion of electrolyzers known generally as “vibrating”, has been suggested to induce transmutation. There is a lot of controversy to this but it falls inline with the idea that what is coming out of the electrolyzer is not Hydrogen or oxygen, but a form of electron charged clusters of gaseous water.

I insist this is very controversial, but you can find support in the following publications:

http://www.santilli-foundation.org/docs/Santilli-138.pdf

https://pdf.sciencedirectasset…b4239f25gxrqa&type=client

• I never checked again for ferromagnetic carbon particles, but it's known that some forms of carbon may exhibit strong diamagnetism.

After attempting another carbon arc experiment using tap water, two graphite electrodes (advertised as "stirring rods" by the seller) of 8 mm diameter and respectively 300 mm and 150 mm length (the latter significantly worn from previous experiments), I tried filming the interaction of the floating graphite particles with a moderately strong hard disk magnet through the jar into which the experiment was conducted.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I used 12V DC, but with the large load used (several tens of amps) this voltage sags significantly. Voltage and current were not actually measured in this test.

It appears as if the floating graphite is slightly ferromagnetic. Furthermore, the particles or clusters of particles attracted to the magnet were apparently attracted back to the rest of the floating graphite after removing the magnet. I should point out however that experimental conditions were not controlled and ferromagnetic impurities may cause this.

EDIT: more details on how I performed the test. I repeatedly brought the tip of the electrodes into contact both in the atmosphere and underwater, immersing them slowly when I did. I often allowed them to become incandescent as well and dry up. In some instances it appeared as if the short electrode started burning from the high temperature: what looked like a flame engulfed the region near the hot tip. Water was also allowed to reach boiling temperature and it appears that the reaction under water is more intense when it does (presumably because an insulating boiling water film forms around the electrodes and less energy is wasted doing electrolysis).

• Plasmoid Trappers, I agree measuring elements into solids is a complex business, questioning the techniques used to obtain measures is always a good thing, but when you perform calcination you are also risking volatilization of compounds unless you capture the combusting gases. A proper mass balance would solve the doubts.

I know that. The calcination was very mild, the temperature rises slowly. In the case of the samples that contain something, my procedure allows to obtain the ash quantitatively.

• By the way, from other brief tests, the apparent ferromagnetic effect seems stronger with freshly-generated floating graphite particles. It is also easier to see from more or less isolated "islands" than from the bulk of the particles. The same particles when fresh tend to aggregate stronger together than after some time has passed, so it could be related with the same effect.

• Official Post

can , thanks for the careful observations. This is what I understand and why I say that there’s not such a thing as a simple experiment. The starting temperature of the rods, wether it does start forming a flame or not are all variables that get overlooked and only the person doing the experiment can start wondering about.

Now, when using tap water you are getting usually between 250 up to 500 ppm (if not more, in my city the TDS of the tap water is up to 1500 ppm) of impurities in the water that introduce all sorts of noise. Add that the carbon rods can have a lot of impurities themselves, and that’s why experiments with “certified” purity materials are a minimum when doing experiments intended to find some reproducible results.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.