Debate: Does LENR needs a good theory, or good lab-rat

• Official Post

What would allow LENR breaking the glass ceiling : 11

1. A reliable lab-rat that can convince an open-minded skeptic there is something to work on ! (7) 64%
    2. A good enough theory so academic accept LENR and engineers can improve technology! (2) 18%
    3. Nothing will work, but an operational application ! (2) 18%

Just launching a debate to change from usual.

I pushed for long the idea that LENR need a fair theory, good enough to convince the physicists to look at the anomalies, and good enough for engineers to improve the technology.

I've heard another position, that simply lab-rats, reliable enough, would convince mainstream physicists or chemists to work on the domain, gathering enough experimental data to develop a good enough theory for censors and engineers.

The difference between the "theory" and the "lab-rat" approach is only about who does the experimental effort leading to development of a theory.

• With a lab-rat first approach, the way is that LENR community develop a lab-rat, and by showing the effect is real, convince one-by-one some researcher in the mainstream, to investigate, with a budget.... allowing after strong mainstream experimental effort the creation of the theoretical foundation, allowing technology development
    • With a theory first approach, the LENR community make a strong experimental effort (why not developing lab-rats internally), without support from the mainstream community, until it allows the proposal of a good-enough set of laws, rules, and why not theory, which have predictive capacity, making LENR accepted as a genuine science domain

What are your opinions, your doubts, and your arguments ?

• Official Post

Neither will do in isolation. A theory presented without experimental evidence (Viz our very own Kirk Shanahan's theories) is of little value. It is pretty much just a hypothesis. Equally, experimental LENR results that are not supported (even if not ruled specifically ruled out) by 'mainstream physics' have been of little use so far.

I think we need a completely fresh approach, possibly beginning with hiring some talent to redesign the websites, followed by dialogue with some serious PR people to determine a way forward. LENR was always going to be a hard sell, but so far as I can see, Rossi is the only one who is selling right now. Everybody else is just waiting for the world to notice them.

• ... "experimental LENR results that are not supported (even if not ruled specifically ruled out) by 'mainstream physics' have been of little use so far."

And will remain so - 'mainstream physics' is not a disposable toy.

• The problem with a good theory here is that it would have to be very very good to compete with the vast amount of experimental validation of other theories. Not impossible, but a big ask.

There is not specific quantifiable experimental evidence of difference from existing theory to target in a new theory. The various experimental anomalies are variable and inconsistent. They work qualitatively, but not quantitatively. Existing theories are validated (and distinguished from each other) by exquisitely accurate quantitative predictions, so this is unhelpful.

Whereas - a lab rate experiment showing clear anomalous results would prove some extraordinary new effect beyond doubt because it could be repeated by different groups with different calorimetry/detectors/etc and every time (with perhaps some stochastic element of x% fail) would reliably generate the same anomaly.

• Official Post

About the notion of theory, I should precise.

Theory is maybe abusive, as it could be simply good laws (as used in 19th century), based on solid experimental results.

When i talk of theory it is not a nice paper, but a strong experimental effort, leading to some usable set of rules and predictions, respecting what is observed usually in physics, and in LENR experiments.

THH say there is a problem, but in fact he describe the constraint of a good theory. It should respect, not old theory, but old observations that old theory predict, and of course the complex set of LENR observations, at least a defined set of experiments.

I doubt that LENR is breaking QM theory, TD laws, GR theory, but like superconduction was breaking ohm laws, it is probably explained by new concepts build on all those solid core theories and laws.

The difference between the "theory" and the "lab-rat" approach is only about who does the research for the theory.

• With a lab-rat first approach, the way is that LENR community develop a lab-rat, and by showing the effect is real, convince one-by-one some researcher in the mainstream, to investigate, with a budget.... allowing after strong mainstream experimental effort the reaction of the theoretical foundation, allowing technology development
    • With a theory first approach, the LENR community make a strong experimental effort (why not developing lab-rats internally), without support from the mainstream community, until it allows the proposal of a good-enough set of laws, rules, and why not theory, which have predictive capacity, making LENR accepted as a genuine science domain.
  • The "lab rat" requirement is often the stumbling block for claims of new physics. I remember well the adventures of Room Temperature Superconductors, Inc., a company that made the rounds in the 90's claiming that they had developed a way to achieve the phenomenon described by their name. The problem was that it could only be observed using an extremely arcane method that bore no resemblance to the experimental methods routinely used to study superconductors. They sidestepped any questions about why conventional measurements did not work. They eventually faded into obscurity. The company was the brainchild of Mark Goldes, who went on to promote a serious of other bogus technologies including an engine running on hydrinos and nearly a dozen other free energy scams. As far as I know, he is still at it.

The company was the brainchild of Mark Goldes, who went on to promote a serious of other bogus technologies including an engine running on hydrinos and nearly a dozen other free energy scams. As far as I know, he is still at it.

Goldes is quite a lot like Rossi. And not very different from Mills. He has never produced anything that worked. He has spent millions and millions of investor money and has made bizarre machines with zero real proof that these work. I'd say more about him but this is not a receptive environment for telling the bitter truth about some people.

• Open replication by multiple trusted sources

(academic, scientific, industrial, lab rats etc), using identical bill of materials, build instructions, testing procedures, measurement principles and protocols and getting the same results.

In "Roseland67 world" a theory is not needed to develop a product/process, the theory can come after.

IF/when, the Ecat meets those requirements

the world will change, until then,

"Rossi says", just doesn't cut it for me.

• A "lab rat" in this context is a simple experiment that is easy enough to carry out and replicate that skeptical scientists can try it out successfully in their own labs.

In this case the scientists are the rats, and they are trying to bell that cat. See:

http://mythfolklore.net/aesopica/milowinter/6.htm

Or, as Anna Russell put it, things would be so different, if they were not as they are.

Where did you hear that he has spent millions?

I've been following him for more than seven years. He has (or along the way had) labs, equipment and technicians. It isn't his own money! Plus he lives on phony loans, grants and other money obtained on false grounds. I was not aware of the excellent summary provided by "interested observer" but everyone should read it. Also, if you have an interest in scams, read Goldes' claims from years ago and look at the illustrations:

According to this, Goldes has been... uh... doing this since 1973! https://pesn.com/archive/2006/…PI_needs_money/index.html That sort of takes it out of the hobby category!

Here he is with his fake scoposcopy in 2006! https://pesn.com/archive/Radio…ergy_Now/shows/060805.htm And he is ALWAYS begging for money.

• He has (or along the way had) labs, equipment and technicians. It isn't his own money!

Unless they happen to be independently wealthy, legitimate scientists also never use their own money. Using other people's money does not prove you are legitimate, or that you are a fraud. It doesn't prove anything.

Plus he lives on phony loans, grants and other money obtained on false grounds.

Who has accused him of obtaining money on false grounds? There are no references in the "Physics Review Board" website. No press accounts or court cases are cited. It would not surprise me to learn that he has obtained money on false grounds, but no evidence for that is presented.

And he is ALWAYS begging for money.

That alone is not evidence for fraud. Many legitimate scientists are also ALWAYS begging for money. Many legitimate scientists work for years on research that never pans out. Cold fusion has never panned out in the commercial sense, but that is no reason to think it is fraudulent.

The fact that his claims apparently violate the second law of thermodynamics may indicate he is a fraud. Or they may indicate he is a crackpot like you or Shahanan. Your assertions violate many laws, common sense, logic, and fundamentals of the scientific method. However, you two have not collected any money as far as I know, so there are no grounds to suspect you of fraud. Obviously, anyone who claims that a bucket of water at room temperature magically evaporates overnight is a flaming crackpot, but that does not mean he is a fraud, or some sort of threat. He's just nuts.

Crackpots are usually harmless. In this case, assuming Goldes is deluded and not malicious, he would be harmless if he were not using up so much money. I have no idea whether he is malicious or not. There is no evidence at the "Physics Review Board." (That name is a little suspicious, like Rossi's blog "Journal of Nuclear Physics.")

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.