Aneutronic gamma-free fusion

• A recent paper indicates that part of stellar proton-proton chain reaction can be reproduced in the lab without neutron or gamma emission --

"Observation of Electron Emission in the Nuclear Reaction between Protons and Deuterons"

Abstract

Proton-deuteron fusion reaction has been studied using a proton beam with an energy of 260 keV and a deuterium-implanted graphite target. The reaction product, 3He, usually de-excites by γ-ray emission. However, instead of a γ ray, 3He can emit an electron with a discrete energy of 5.6 MeV, due to electron screening in graphite. Such electrons were identified with the ΔE-E technique. The emission of fast electrons shows that electron screening causes the electrons to approach the nuclei during the reaction very closely. Different behavior of nuclear reactions at low and high energies was also demonstrated.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/s…cle/pii/S0370269317307025

• This experiment teaches a lesson for LENR research. In lieu of gamma radiation, the removal of reaction energy can come from leptonic particles exiting the nuclear reaction carrying kinetic energy. It is important to look for energetic leptons exiting the zone of the LENR based nuclear reaction.

• axil interestingly leptons are fermions. I wonder if this would constrain things? especially if nano cavities are concerned and there are a limited number of states the leptons can end up in. I'm not sure what conditions that might lead to. Would there be some kind of pressure built up due to reduced states? Or would 'it necessarily require any produced leptons to be conducted away or radiated? If the cavity it effectively optically black would it even be possible to change state or radiate? Or would it flip to another form of decay. Or would Bobs ideas about charge clusters come into play? or would some some other interaction become important?

I wonder if your ideas about Bose Einstein condensates of Bosons play a role some how.

It's interesting they say an electron is emitted I assume this is some kind of inner shell electron emission from coupling with dexcitarion if the nuclei. Is the fact they would be a cooper pair in Helium playing a role?

Would it require the He3 to capture electrons into its inner orbitals in time scales less than de-excitation of the He3? Or is the electrons single electron from the original deuterium that does not get ejected during the encounter with the proton due to the relatively low energy (260 keV) of the proton.

• barty hmm I'm not sure. I used to think along those lines that maybe some kind of localized fusion of light elements could be occurring under the right kinetic conditions. It would need to be low energy stimulus so as not to ionize the initial atom during the initial proton encounter if it's electron needs to be later ejected when the nucleus de excites. And I suppose the encounter would need to slow and close to the nucleus in order to allow enough time for the proton interaction to tunnel at these relatively low energies. There is a lot that needs to be just right for that occur even with light nuclei. I suppose this is already not traditional hot fusion in a fully ionized environment.

But now we are apparently seeing all this evidence of transmutations of heavier elements than lithium I think something more must be occurring. Perhaps if those transmutations were from single proton adsorbtion only one could explain them by masking in some way as has been considered here very well by better people than me... this already would not be traditional fusion. If heavier nuclei pairs are merging as might have been seen then really it needs something else than normal fusion to explain it.

I'm not sure if "new unknown physics" that breaks the standard model etc is required but I do think perhaps "new recent physics" breakthroughs and understanding as outlined by many here are indeed important. And the right physical conditions to exploit those effects are needed.

Is hydrogen (protons, or deuterons) always required in some way even to enable heavy nuclei merger? Is proton fusion in light elements necessary to explain the energy balance for heavier products than iron and can the kinds of more exotic hydrogen particles or "electron clusters" postulated here and elsewhere help mediate heavier nuclei mergers.

But I suppose it can't be simple fusion in the normal sense I think.

I do wonder if the low kinetic energy proton fusion and associated tunned electron emissions mechanism in this paper is part of the process of the machine that produces the conditions (perhaps by generating the necessary exotic hydrogen particles or electron clusters, or an X-ray/UV environment as a side effect etc) for the more unusual behaviors such as heavier nuclei mergers to appear.

• I recently heard from someone that I massively respect a day or so ago that to use helium3 to take us to the stars we would need to mine it from the atmosphere of Jupiter. And the technology to do that maybe 200 years away. I wonder if we can make it like this if that brings these possibilities closer.

• Hmm, is this the reaction we may see in "LENR"? It's still "simple fusion" but without neutrons?

The process studied in the paper requires protons with 260 keV, produces 3He rather than 4He and yields electrons with 5.6 MeV, which would be readily detectable. So my working assumption is that this not a promising avenue of investigation for understanding 4He-producing PdD LENR. But what I like about the conclusion of the paper is that, if the research is correct, a reaction that normally yields a gamma instead leads to something like internal conversion and a fast electron, which I do suspect to be involved in LENR by way of other channels.

• Eric,

Is it possible that electron screening also produced undetected D+He3 --> He4 reactions?

It's not clear that the experiment ruled out production energetic protons or alpha particles.

Perhaps in other experiments this is an option to consider.

I believe that an important take-away message is that decreasing electron-to-nucleus distance (electron screening) - by charged particle beams (or maybe by intense electric or magnetic fields? or plasmons?) increases the probability of internal conversion rather than gamma emission.

If LENR real and produces heat, could thermalization of energetic charged particles be responsible?

• Lou, yes, the possibility of something like internal conversion as an explanation for the missing gammas in LENR is one that has interested me for several years now. The thought that has intrigued me is whether the electrons possibly involved catalyzing a LENR reaction simultaneously produce a different enough environment as to alter the internal conversion rate in some or all circumstances.

Earlier I said "something like" internal conversion, because the "internal" part of internal conversion I believe refers to the fact that conversion electrons are generally bound inner-shell electrons. But in this case we're possibly referring to electrons that are not bound to the atom.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.