The physics of collective nuclear energy dispersal

• Just to clarify my thinking, my working hypothesis is that there's the following mix going on in the PdD case (although not necessarily other cases):

• Induced fission of heavy nuclei into lighter nuclei through some mechanism, possibly involving electron screening, yielding the bulk of the measurable heat
    • Induced decay of alpha emitters and potential alpha emitters, not producing much heat but yielding measurable helium
    • Beta decay of short-lived beta emitters which are daughters of the preceding two processes that are somewhat too far from the line of stability

So although I have a mechanism vaguely in mind and have been tossing around different ideas with people who are more knowledgeable about the mechanics of the nuclear interactions, I have few specific reactions in mind (although there is one that falls under the second bullet point involving platinum, which is generally present in electrolytic experiments as the anode).

OK, so it would be helpful to have the specific reactions.

As I understand it you suppose there are (at least) two distinct nuclear reactions not normally expected which happen in these LENR experiments?

• For the production of helium in a PdD electrolytic cell, here are some specific reactions:

e- + 190Pt → e- + 4He + 186Os + 3252 keV (in nature, α, →α)

e- + 192Pt → e- + 4He + 188Os + 2422 keV (in nature, α)

e- + 194Pt → e- + 4He + 190Os + 1522 keV (in nature, α)

e- + 195Pt → e- + 4He + 191Os + 1176 keV (α, →β-)

e- + 198Pt → 2·e- + 2·ν + 198Hg + 1049 keV

e- + 196Pt → e- + 4He + 192Os + 812 keV (in nature, α)

e- + 198Pt → e- + 4He + 194Os + 107 keV (α, →β-)

There will be extreme differences in the cross sections for these decays, and the relative amount of the precursor isotope will vary greatly, so these reactions are merely a shortlist. Presumably the Os and Hg daughters would potentially be susceptible to the same process.

"e-" is not a precursor or daughter, but just shorthand to note that there's something going on with electron screening.

• Originally Holmlid with theoretical support from Winterberg suggested that a Madelung transformation of the QM wave function - only possible for deuterium - could result in the high density:

It is not "Holmlid with theoretical support from Winteberg" who suggested that, it is just ravings from Winterberg.

Holmlid is an experimentalist. And a good one.

No. Not only. I specifically addressed the point why the usual fast decay involving electric dipole radiation is forbidden. (Not saying that the differentiation of the dwell time from the lifetime of the metastable state, as you did, is now considered obsolete, but this is another issue).

My understanding is that the n or p ejection decay mechanism is even faster - otherwise it would not normally have a higher branching ratio. So all of the known decay paths are fast as stated in the OP link (with numbers derived from the gamma line width which therefore bounds the state existence time).

Your understanding is wrong. Did you read what I wrote?

Back to the basics of nuclear decay:

- a excited state is described by its energy above the ground level, its angular momentum and its parity.

- for the excited state He4* reached in D-D hot fusion or through D beams, the electromagnetic mechanism for the main decays is electric dipole radiation.

- electric multipole radiations of the same order L carry the same angular momentum L but differ in parity P.

- electric dipole radiation requires a parity change.

Nothing new here, just basic quantum nuclear physics of the 1940-1970's. If you are not familiar with quantum nuclear physics, a good book is Theoretical Nuclear Physics by Blatt and Weisskopf, 1979.

What is new:

- UDD has zero orbital angular momentum L=0 by its very nature.

- the two D of an UDD pair, which carry even intrinsic parity, fuse in the orbital state of zero relative angular momentum. Therefore the excited state He4* also has even parity.

- with no parity change, electric dipole radiation is forbidden.

- therefore the usual hot fusion branches are forbidden.

The idea "for L=0 there is no n and p in D-D fusion" was first pointed out by Schwinger. I recommend to read the articles published by Schwinger in 1989-1991. Here is one. At that time, Schwinger proposed L=0 as a solution to the lack of n and p in D-D fusion, arguing this would be the case for two D of low energy. However, to assume L=0 was highly criticised because a high energy is required in any case to pass the Coulomb barrier. This problem is solved with UDD because it has L=0 by its very nature. One among other reasons why I like the idea that LENR is based on UDD. Because if UDD is truly formed in LENR experiments, then all Huizenga's miracles are solved in full agreement with the Standard Model.

• Back to the basics of nuclear decay:

Julian, THH's point was germane and correct: what you're describing is the electromagnetic decay mode for the dd resonance obtained in dd beam collisions. But the strong decays, to 3He + n and t + p, predominate by many orders of magnitude. At L=0, the 4He* has strong decay pathways available to it.

- with no parity change, electric dipole radiation is forbidden.

Electromagnetic decay is forbidden in certain parity and angular momentum states. But you must explain why strong decays are forbidden by certain angular momentum and parity states.

• I suggest if you want to maintain a continuing role in LENR analysis and criticism, you might want to bone up on some particle physics and the history of particle detection in LENR. The excess heat line of evidence involving calorimetry together with helium detection is becoming too old school to be relevant now that LENR reactors are becoming more powerful.

• I suggest if you want to maintain a continuing role in LENR analysis and criticism, you might want to bone up on some particle physics and the history of particle detection in LENR. The excess heat line of evidence involving calorimetry together with helium detection is becoming too old school to be relevant now that LENR reactors are becoming more powerful.

When these pages discuss evidence that others think especially strong, involving such things, I will no doubt become more interested. But many of the experimental lacunae, e.g. heat sensitisation of film etc, require somone else. We do not all have to comment on everything.

As for nuclear particle physics, it is not something I've formally ever learnt, but I have learnt many of the underlying concepts so I can often follow and comment. I enjoy that.

Did you know that Spitaleri (2016) proposes nucleus internal clustering as a possible mechanism for the higher than expected screening potentials of higher-Z ions? A clever though unproven idea.

Now that LENR reactors are becoming more powerful.

As soon as even one such powerful reactor is shown independently to work, everyone including me will accept LENR is the big deal it has promised but never yet delivered. Your asserting this has happened does not make it so.

• The dusty plasma reactor invented by Dr. G. Egely has been tested and certified to produce metal transmuted from carbon. Your opinion on this reactor and test of it by MFMP would be nice to discuss. Also, your ideas on what nuclear processes that can produce such transmutation results would be nice to discuss.

For your evaluation

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Best thread and discussion here in a very long time.

Are waves built on top of waves (fourier transform) ? I am imagining if something revolved around the speed of entanglement or if slowed down then tachyons if they exist that these (superluminal beings) would be discussing math that just does not fit and out of bounds. Like a bose ground state. Hypothetical (speaking for the FTL folks here if the tachyonatics 'I mean people or something like reasoning beings' exist) imaging if they could go beyond ground state. What would they think? We can slow down light now. Go the other way.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.