Caveat Emptor (investors beware)

• I reluctantly point out that crypto currencies are perfect for kidnapping ransoms, funding contract killings, secretly supporting politically motivated agit-prop, and for false flag operations in general. I am certain Buffet had such in view when he adjudged them adversely.

The only thing between the present laissez faire view of cryptos and the future intensive regulation of them, is public naivete evolving to public awareness.

• Don’t forget online drug purchases.

IMO, regulation will only validate them, and allow big financial institutions/ETFs to begin trading.... Bring it on, I say. $20000/XBT will seem like a bargain.

The only sticking point is the massive energy use by miners (Which not all crypto suffers from). But we all know that won’t be a problem soon, right? Right!??...

• I think not. How is blockchain relevant to our discussion, beyond being the underlying technology?

Having a smart contract with Deneum written onto a blockchain will not help investors one bit if Deneum fails. Conversely, a blockchain without an associated cryptocurrency hardly seems worth regulating.

• Max Nozin It is the very feature you are touting (blockchain), that makes cryptocurrencies so dangerous, since that provides the anonymity and non-traceability.

Appears you may be "invested" in more ways than one.

So if we cannot name an investment with "100 percent security" (and no one can, or no one should) do you believe that somehow proves your point??

Your comment: "Fixed income and us [sic] debt and alike apart " seems to suggest that you believe there are some exceptional investments. Wrong. US debt and fixed income securities are far from secure. If I interpret your comment correctly, it makes me think that you could benefit greatly from a review of economic history, such as might be found in a one year general economics course.

• The anonymity of crypto comes from the fact you can generate a wallet address to send/receive money without registering your details with a central authority... Not from 'blockchain' per se*, which actually offers an immutable and public way of tracing the flow of money, which means, at some point, a criminal is at risk when they try to cash out into real money. http://www.sciencemag.org/news…-cant-hide-behind-bitcoin
    At some point you have to interface with the normal banking system, and the exchanges that allow this are already heavily regulated (Know Your Customer laws etc). The ones that aren't, feel the weight of the law quickly.

https://www.reuters.com/articl…ssia-arrest-idUSKBN1AB1OP

https://eu.press-citizen.com/s…ney-laundering/886432002/

(And if the US stops paying out on it's treasury notes, I guarantee we will have more pressing issues to worry about than missing out on their yield...)

Zeus46 maybe you can tell me an investment with 100 percent security. Fixed income and us debt and alike apart.

We started block chain discussion since people who didn't even try to learn what ico is, are too quick to label it as a scam.

Not sure there are any... Maybe Russian goldmines? 

Otherwise, I agree with your points.

* i.e. You could iteratively encrypt each post on this forum and call it a blockchain, if you wanted. (Say... to prevent a deranged doctor from avoiding suitable punishment by deleting a post where they illegally revealed someone's private healthcare information... For example.)

• Zeus46, That is an interesting and "hopeful" article. Careful reading will show that a) the goal is still complete anonymity and b) the particular arrests made were the products of glitches and exceptions in the blockchain system.

The idea of complete financial anonymity is both the attraction of cryptocurrencies such as Bitcoin, but apparently in this article, also a significant source of traceability and hence a drawback to actual anonymity. Note that Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies are striving to avoid those exceptions and glitches.

• Here is another very recent opinion from a CMNS newsgroup moderator:

"Be careful with those ICO's! They very rarely mention in their polished white-papers; their shell companies and the underlying shareholders agreements/cap tables which hold the assets, often offshore and mostly owned by the financial team which sets up token ICOs for a fee. This makes Wolf of Wallstreet and PE look like small time crooks in comparison."

• You're/They're not wrong. Not sure Switzerland counts as 'off-shore' though, where most of the more-professional offerings are registered.

Apparently Monero is the currency of choice for nefarious purposes. It's blockchain somehow obfuscates who has paid what to who, but still tracks individual balances.

In theory, you could sever the link in the Bitcoin blockchain by exchanging your ill-gotten gains for Monero, splitting and transferring to other Monero addresses, then exchanging each portion back into bitcoin... but still, suspicious bitcoin cash-outs could likely always be spotted with a thorough analysis of its blockchain. Wouldn't surprise me to discover various agencies are already working on such capabilities.

• Official Post

Max,

https://e-catworld.com/2018/09…roduction-video-released/

What do you think? Not very reassuring to me. Especially when compared to Deneum's promising news release. IMO, Godin may consider what is more important...his reputation, or his partners capitalizing off of the LENR mystique?

"Sergey Godin, Research.
    “I am responsible for correctness of measurement in this project. I have conducted experiments demonstrating that the installation is practical, environmentally friendly and does not contain any harmful radiation. Some scientists say that this is impossible, or the implementation of such an installation is tough because it is impossible to overcome the coulomb barrier. It is true, but nature has many clever ways in which it does it. It is possible when we are faced with a phenomenon that is not yet been fully explored. And experimenters in this field are now ahead of the theorists, just like the Wright Brothers who already conducted commercial flights before the theory of wing-lift was written. We are also pioneers who are trying to create a commercial sample based on this phenomenon.”

• ust so you know, we have been talking about Deneum here Caveat Emptor (LENR investors beware) You are welcome to join in. Give you a break from those babblers.

I had not looked at this thread as it sounded like i would be babble. Anyone who thinks am investor would be guided by it, or even see it. has to be out of their mind.

Hardly illuminating about Deneum.

• Buffet admits he doesn’t have a clue about Bitcoin:

That's not what he said. He said he does not understand why anyone takes it seriously. He described it as "rat poison" and "trading turds." The Bitcoin supporter said that Bitcoin produces "security" and it is the safest way of exchanging money. That is lunacy. There has been many, many robberies of Bitcoin stashes, such as Mt. Gax in Japan. The whole business is mobbed up. I do not understand economics, but I sure do understand computer security and financial transaction security, and this ain't it. See:

https://money.cnn.com/2018/09/…-goldman-sachs/index.html

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.