Demonstration of the E-Cat QX - 24 November - Summary thread

• Adrian,

I take time with your comments because you appear rational, but then say things that are either not true, or only true if you ignore other rational comment.

Relevant here is the usage for industrial applications. We have a device which (Rossi claims) generates small amounts of power. However it requires a large PSU to start it up. Why would industry be interested in this (remember it can't go in products for customers)? What industry would be interested in (and Alan says they were talking to Rossi) is people wanting large amounts of cheap industrial process heat.

High COP. We cannot know what is the COP. Rossi's ideas about it seem both variable (it was 20,000 a year ago) and highly tendentious. i appreciate you think this is not a test, but Rossi obviously views it as that because he derives COP from it. Go figure.

Operate at up to 2300C for up to a year. Rossi has in no way shown long-term reliability: plasma tubes are not necessarily that. There are applications that would want high-grade heat, but for them the high temperature interfaces between process and device are problematic, especially when you have zillions of little devices all which need to be connected. But the big market for heat is what IH was going for. 100C heat where Rossi's device would be an easy retrofit for a conventional boiler. Altogrther an easier proposition to sell.

THH

It is not possible to do the latter without giving away Rossi's IP. Adrian, I wonder whether you have selective deafness here? Many people have pointed out that black box testing is usual in industry and does not give away IP. Some, posting here, have actually done black box testing where the IP was indeed confidential. If the exact COP (all you would get from such testing) is confidential Rossi could add a resistor to derate it :)

I feel like Mats Lewan went above and beyond being merely diplomatic in his writeup.

Mats is largely responsible for Rossi's success in bamboozling prospective distributors early on and in flummoxing Darden, Vaughn and Woodford in more recent years though Levi and the Swedish scientists share that blame. And after all that time, he STILL can't smell the coffee.

EDITED TO ADD (ETA):

Clearly this comes down to a question of trust, and personally, discussing this detail with Rossi for some time, I have come to the conclusion that his explanation is reasonable and trustworthy. (Mats Lewan)

https://animpossibleinvention.…cat-qx-demo-in-stockholm/

What is actually "clearly" about all this is that Mr. Lewan has learned absolutely nothing. Nothing from Rossi's ridiculously easy misdirection around his attempts to calibrate the test properly. Nothing from the entire sordid collection of lies in the pretrial transcripts in Rossi vs IH vs Rossi. Nothing from the lack of development of Rossi's obviously potentially profitable early ecat claims none of which went anywhere at all. Nothing from the rack of lies about customers. Nothing from the lies and non-deliveries to distributors. Nothing from the copious and continuous stream of lies on JONP. Lewan is a hopeless believer. It seems as if nothing will teach him. Even if Rossi admitted he was a fraud, Rossi's believers would probably say he was forced to say that by some conspiracy!

• To sum up the demo, there were several details that were discussed, from the problematic electrical measurement to observations of Rossi touching something inside the control system just before an additional measurement was being made (see below). In the end, I found that there were reasonable explanations for everything that occurred, and the result indicated a clear thermal output with a very small electrical input from the control system.

However, if I were an investor considering to invest in this technology, I would require further private tests being made with accurate measurements made by third-party experts, specifically regarding the electrical input power, making such tests in a way that these experts would consider to be relevant.

I agree with Eric here. Summations matter. What Mats says - the result indicated a clear thermal output with a very small electrical input from the control system - just cannot be substantiated based on the facts that Mats here agrees. I guess you can allow it only if by "the result" you mean "the claims made by Rossi". Then his summary makes sense, but that is not the way most people will read it.

Anyway, if all we do is note that wonderful claims made by Rossi that can be done any day of the week.

• Official Post

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

It would interested me what Fabiani says in Italian to Rossi at 00:48 sec in this clip?

• Official Post

Carl-Oscar Gullström: Working with theory about the Rossi effect

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Official Post

what if the wave form shown on the scope didn't go into the reactor but was dissipated directly inside the control box?

It is very easy to invent fanciful scenarios for fraud. You could spend the next ten years dreaming them up and still not run out. However, pay attention to the words of Mats Lewan, which I heartily endorse.

"However, as I stated above, if I were an investor considering to invest in this technology, I would require further private tests being made with accurate measurements made by third-party experts, specifically regarding the electrical input power, making such tests in a way that these experts would consider to be relevant."

Mats Lewan.

• I speculate from a feeling I got from lisening to Fabiani, who said the the compound sign signl was a safety measure and Rossi shut him up fast.

That continuing signal 3/7 of the cycle in length might be a reaction suppression measure that keeps the reaction from going out of control after it is initiated by the initial high voltage arc activation signal.

That 3/7 signal might cut the top off the power curve to stabilize the reaction. After the 3/7 point in the cycle, the power profile of the reaction output begins to fall and no longer requires suppression.

The control box heat could come from a power feedback current from the reaction when the reaction is near the peak of its power production. The suppression signal must be maintained and the power feedback signal must be dissipated by an internal circuit in the control box. The interface circuit must be maintained to suppress the reaction so it cannot be cut to avoid power feedback. Heat carried by the feedback current must therefore be dissipated as heat.

Such a feedback condition was seen in the Papp engine where the feedback produced power to ignite the next cylinder firing.

There was a control circuit that stored that feedback power so that it could be used in the next ignition step.

It is my guess that Rossi does not have the circuit design know how to store the feedback current and at the same time suppress the reaction via the 3/7 signal.

• Adrian Ashfield: "I don't need more facts to know what the claims are."

Apparently you don't understand that they are nothing but claims without a shred of evidence to support them. Instead, you quote them as if they were proven fact. And yes, you are proud to sign your name to those laughable assertions. Good for you.

• Paradigmnoia

Even if the electrodes themselves were not made of Ni, the gap is still supposed to contain Ni, Li and Al (and also Mn according to Gullström) in some form, which would eventually coat anyway the inner surfaces as they get vaporized by the plasma formed. I suspect this is the intended mode of operation and that it wouldn't really work like a regular HID lamp, where this would be normally considered a deleterious effect.

If for example the coating formed a conductive pathway between both electrodes, wouldn't it cause a short circuit that would vaporize it back into a plasma? Wouldn't the same happen for any other pathway formed between both electrodes with the evaporated metals?

For all intents and purposes this would work by repeatedly short-circuiting itself, minus the initial HV pulse.

Or at least, that's how I imagine it would "work" :)

• Page 14 post # Post 417

To "hide" ANY voltage other than AC from the scope display, simply put the channel into AC coupling mode.

One button on the DSO. Simple. Anyone who has ever used an oscilloscope knows this.

The power supply might be roaring away (needing cooling),

but the scope trace only shows 0.01v AC.

The DC is hidden. (unless one looks for the tiny "A" next to the channel output

- which would mean walking behind the table to see it - as if anyone in attendance would even know to look for it, but as Mats pointed out VERY early in the Demo, this was forbidden.)

I gave the link to the scope user manual.

This "technique" has been used before in OU scams (Bill Alek and EMJunkie most recently)

Pete

• Alan Smith

It is very easy to invent fanciful scenarios for fraud.

It's even easier to describe entirely credible, plausible and probable scenarios for fraud as has been true since the first Rossi and Levi tests and demonstrations in 2011. It has also been true for each and every performance by Rossi or his associates and colleagues since then especially if you add gullibility, negligence and incompetence as possible alternatives to fraud in the case of all except Rossi. For Rossi, after all this time and all the opportunities for proper testing, I can't think of any reasonable alternative to fraud.

• Alan Smith

It's even easier to describe entirely credible, plausible and probable scenarios for fraud as has been true since the first Rossi and Levi tests and demonstrations in 2011. It has also been true for each and every performance by Rossi or his associates and colleagues since then especially if you add gullibility, negligence and incompetence as possible alternatives to fraud in the case of all except Rossi. For Rossi, after all this time and all the opportunities for proper testing, I can't think of any reasonable alternative to fraud.

I don't really get what you are arguing here. Are you justifying the invention of fraud scenarions on the grounds that they simply easy to invent?

• External Content www.youtube.com

It would interested me what Fabiani says in Italian to Rossi at 00:48 sec in this clip?

"Andrea, you did it all by yourself. Get mad with yourself".

It seems he did some kind of mistake.

• The HV pulse might be short-circuited, and simply not fire. Just like the 800 ohm resistor did not explode into a plasma.

An analogy might be a spark plug with carbon across the gap. Carbon coatings down the insulator and back up the threaded end can also short circuit a spark plug. That route can be 2 cm long on some plugs.

The gap is required in order to get the voltage high enough, and so it might be with the QX system. But who knows...

Hmmm..... I do have an old analog MSD unit in a box somewhere in my collection of stuff.

EDIT: The vaporized elements added to HID bulbs assist the bulb operation, as long as they vaporize and then turn to gas each time it is fired up. Some increase the internal pressure, some condition the output color, and some, like Xenon, condition the plasma voltage by changing the resistance of the gas with temperature. Xenon gas has decreasing resistance with temperature, the opposite of most gasses.

• Such third party power tests would reveal the true purpose of the 3/7 signal and the nature of the feedback current. If Rossi wants to maintain his most secret methods, he will resist letting anyone near that control mechanism. Control is the jewel of great value for Rossi's IP. Understanding the details of that mechanism is key to reverse engineering the QX. IMHO, Rossi will wait on those third party tests until he can produce a high performance control box that is battery powered, so that a very long test can be run beyond the energy storage capacity of the battery power supply to prove overunity power production.

• @Tony

I don't really get what you are arguing here. Are you justifying the invention of fraud scenarions on the grounds that they simply easy to invent?

Yikes! No, Tony. On the grounds that fraud scenarios are the best and most plausible explanation by far for everything but EVERYTHING we have seen from Rossi up to and including the current entirely useless and worthless performance.

• This quote from Lewan is so stupid, it amazes even me. You can't tell ANYTHING from the idiotic measurement over an arbitrary resistance substituted for the so-called reactor. And you don't even know that the conditions of that test, for example the power supply's output voltage, are the same as they were during the actual run. And that's before you even consider possible power contributions from AC and/or RF inputs from Rossi's mysterious white box with the mysterious switch. The actual COP could be anything from zero to any number you want. It's completely impossible to determine from this lame data. Worse yet, with proper measurements, it COULD have been EASILY determined. Rossi simply set it up to fail like he always does/did.

At the demo, 1,000 grams of water was heated 20 degrees Celsius in one hour, meaning that the total energy released was 1,000 x 20 x 4.18 = 83,600J and the thermal power 83,600/3600 ≈ 23W.

The voltage across the 1-ohm resistor was about 0.3V, thus the current 0.3A. The power consumed by the resistor was then about 0.09W and if the reactor behaved as a conductor its power consumption would be much less.

Using a conductor as a dummy, the voltage across the 1-ohm resistance was about 0.4V, thus similar as with the reactor in the circuit. With the 800-ohm resistance, the voltage across the 1-ohm resistance was about 0.02V and the current thus about 0.02A. The power consumption of the 800-ohm resistance was then 0.02 x 0.02 x 800 ≈ 0.3W, thus much lower than the thermal power released by the reactor.

These dummy measurements can be interpreted in a series of ways, giving a COP (output power/input power) ranging from about 40 to tens of thousands. Unfortunately, no precise answer can be given regarding the COP with this method, but even counting the lowest estimate, it’s very high, indicating a power source that produces useful thermal power with a very small input power for controlling the system.

• Paradigmnoia

Given how small the electrodes and the inner surfaces are, if there is electrical contact between them due to pre-deposited material it would probably not take a very large current to vaporize it back and start the plasma again. The HV pulse then might only be strictly required for when there's absolutely no electrical conduction between both electrodes and no way to generate a plasma otherwise.

But I'm just wildly speculating, this is just a crazy out-of-the-box idea after all.

• @Tony

Yikes! No, Tony. On the grounds that fraud scenarios are the best and most plausible explanation by far for everything but EVERYTHING we have seen from Rossi up to and including the current entirely useless and worthless performance.

Ok. Since you seem to know so well what happened I suppose you attended the event, right? Or, how you know it was useless and worthless? For whom?

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.