Demonstration of the E-Cat QX - 24 November - Summary thread

• So the QX power circuit is a floating ground system, otherwise the probe BNC Earth ground would cause grief.

That’s what I expected all the time - because I’m pretty sure that the voltage drop across the “QuarkX” (or should I say heating resistor/coil) is in the hundreds Volts, and touching it wouldn’t be a pleasant experience , unless the power supply is not grounded.

• Found another little treat at 02:05:17 (Youtube version):

So the bottom two labels are something related to a "Relay" ?

The first one seems "Relay Code" to me (reading "IEZA?" or "FEZA?").

EDIT: "Relay Code" and "Relay Return" ?

Also, next to ECAT Control there's a date which reads "11/4/17" (or "17/4/17")

• Official Post

I still do not understand how someone with your skills could walk away from there convinced Rossi has a legitimate new product in the QX?

Failing to condemn is not condemning to failure. And who says 'convinced' is a requirement for reporting on anything other than a dishwash detergergent ad? I have said Rossi is a flake as usual, that the demo would/could never prove anything (before I went) and answered questions about attendees, posted many photographs on a dedicated thread under a heading say 'use these it you want to' . I am not selling anything, and have never said I bought it either. My interest is in the field of Ni/H research, which Rossi is or has been been banging the drum for. While Jed for example believes ha has damaged the field, I know that at least 3 major laboratories and every car company in Japan (yes, every one) is working on Ni/H systems. People talk to me because I am open to discuss things, do not have a closed mind and don't do hate readily.

But briefly, I never saw conviction as a requirement for describing something, and never said the QX is a 'legitimate new product;. Those are your words, not mine. I went because I was invited by someone who is one of science's most interesting mavericks. Can you honestly say that you could resist?

• Alan Smith

Did you notice some EM interference at the DPS, after the QX was fired up?

Any problems with mobile phones or the microphone system or any other electrical device?

While watching the video, there were a lot of people handling with phones, Hurley and FF only some meters away from the QX.

None of the seems to have probs with their devices.

I'm mean, as Mr. Lewan said, probably high frequencies (>100kHz), high voltage (kilovolt)

and the QX, as Rossi said several times on JONP, produces electricity.

Can you comment?

• So the bottom two labels are something related to a "Relay" ?

The first one seems "Relay Code" to me (reading "IEZA?" or "FEZA?").

EDIT: "Relay Code" and "Relay Return" ?

Also, next to ECAT Control there's a date which reads "11/4/17" (or "17/4/17")

Here is what I get from this.

• h_l

The "Relay Code" probably is something ECAT as you write.

On the other hand on the opposite side maybe It's "COM4 Ready" ? Would make sense if it's about the program link status.

"Relay" appears to be above "COM4".

I am not sure about "Reload", although it's definitely "OFF".

I guess there's not much more that can be extracted from this.

• Bruce__H

The quality of the source limits the sharpness. What I meant is that there's little point trying hard to look for more information from that control panel, because there's not much else.

On the other hand, there's still plenty of interesting tidbits in the off-air conversations, especially those in Italian in the full video. Apparently Rossi told prof. Vassallo during the the event that by "using the oscilloscope in a different way" he sees an AC current production and that it's currently "thermalized" by the control system.

This also incidentally reminded me that somebody previously wrote in this thread that the oscilloscope might have been put in DC mode (EDIT: here and here).

I made a transcription, but Google doesn't do a very good job translating this. It was very hard to hear too, so some small portions are missing or unclear.

[1:28:52] [Vassallo] Ma c'è anche una produzione di energia elettrica oltre quella termica?

[Fabiani] Che domanda!

[Rossi] Noi facciamo la termica.

[Vassallo] (????)

[Rossi] No, ho capito… no, la sua domanda è più profonda…

[Fabiani] Me l'ha fatta prima!

[Rossi] Lui ha chiesto dell'energia elettrica diretta. Ci stiamo lavorando. C'è.

[1:29:08] [Fabiani] Ci fa delle domande capziose, il professore! *laughs*

[Rossi] No. Ho detto c'è, c'è. C'è. Ma non siamo ancora capaci di…

[Vassallo] Ci diamo del Tu, abbiamo detto, no?

[Rossi] Sì, sì, Scusa. C'è, ma non siamo ancora capaci di usarla(?). C'è. Perché, vediamo dall'oscilloscopio che, noi, quando… quando lo usiamo in un altro modo, noi vediamo… noi sappiamo benissimo che troviamo solo corrente che si muove in un solo lato(?) su un tempo quadrato(??). Noi lo vediamo benissimo. Però, con l'oscilloscopio, vediamo - no? - usandolo in un altro modo, che c'è una corrente… sotto, che non è nostra. Secondo me (???) non può essere nostra. (????) Noi qui dentro facciamo corrente continua. Abbiamo un'alternata, ma facciamo la continua. Poi ci troviamo dell'alternata che non può essere, non può essere nostra.

[Levi] Esatto.

[Rossi] Non siamo ancora capaci di… ma c'è.

[Vassallo] Ok. Se tanto va… quindi però se c'è qua è dissipata.

[Rossi] Sì, viene… viene termalizzata.

[Vassallo] Viene dissipata.

[Rossi] Viene termalizzata.

[Vassallo] Va bene.

• From the manual, it seems that "DC mode" only affects the trigger circuit for latching to the waveform start point, and does not affect the waveform display amplitude.

I do wonder if the attenuation setting for the probe has been set properly. If the oscilloscope was set to 1x and the probe was 10x (standard) then the display amplitude will be reduced by 10x. This is not a setting that is visible on the scope without activating the channel info menu.

It would be nice to be sure of the measurements.

• Paradigmnoia

DC coupling mode, yep. Good to know that's one less issue for the measurements in this case.

Interestingly, in the post-demo interview that I transcribed in another thread, Rossi denied in a convoluted reply to Vassallo that the power dissipated in the control box was due to electrical power produced by the device (although I guess it could still be interpreted that it wasn't the primary reason).

Tektronix TBS1052B manual

• Paradigmnoia

DC coupling mode, yep. Good to know that's one less issue for the measurements in this case.

Interestingly, in the post-demo interview that I transcribed in another thread, Rossi denied in a convoluted reply to Vassallo that the power dissipated in the control box was due to electrical power produced by the device (although I guess it could still be interpreted that it wasn't the primary reason).

So, for a floating ground circuit, the electricity from the Quark must then return to the controller via transformer, because there is no direct circuit connection. The USB control can add an unintended Earth ground, but I think that the laptop would be rather pissed about that...

• From the manual, it seems that "DC mode" only affects the trigger circuit for latching to the waveform start point, and does not affect the waveform display amplitude.

Para,

You are looking at the wrong page of the manual.

see instead Page 106 of the manual.

I was not referring to trigger coupling over a week ago otherwise I would have specifically said "trigger coupling"

I was talking about the Channel Vertical Coupling (or input coupling).

It is a totally different setting and affects which components of the

input signal get passed to the output (display) waveform.

DC and AC (DC coupling) or AC only (AC coupling)

Page 106 of the manual.

Someone on this forum must surely be familiar with DSOs No ?

But I like that you are raising Probe Attenuation

Pete

• Hypothetically, if the waveform was attenuated 10x more than the scope setting, how much more power and current would that represent, if that AM waveform is made 10x greater in amplitude? It's not just 10x, ... Is it 50 to 500 times? 11x? 40x?

• Still trying to figure out if Rossi isn't just perhaps fooling himself with trying to reinvent a short-arc lamp. I think Paradigmnoia has made in a few previous comments some comparisons to HID lamps.

This paragraph here from Wikipedia sounds similar to what Rossi might be doing and could have seen, but on a 10-20W scale instead in his case: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/…Power_supply_requirements

[...] Xenon short-arc lamps have a negative temperature coefficient like other gas discharge lamps. They are operated at low-voltage, high-current, DC and started with a high voltage pulse of 20 to 50kV. As an example, a 450 W lamp operates normally at 18 V and 25 A once started. They are also inherently unstable, prone to phenomena such as plasma oscillation and thermal runaway. Because of these characteristics, xenon short-arc lamps require a proper power supply.

"[...] so I would say that we could pick the last peaks on the far right"

• can ,

Automotive HID lamps run at about 85 to 120 V fairly high frequency (typically 350 to 400 Hz) AC, and draw about 0.4 A at that voltage. 35 to 55 W output (bulb) is standard. The ballasts can run on typically 9 to 30 V input and draw around 4 A at that voltage. The efficiency is about 85%, meaning that around 15% is dissipated as heat within the ballast.

AM is a bit more wasteful, and up to 3 times the power of the carrier signal can be dissipated in the modulation circuit.

Handy HID design summary chapter: (PDF direct link, biggish).

http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/AppNotes/01372A.pdf

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.