Rossi Lugano/early demo's revisited. (technical)

• Time step simulation

There was quite a difference between the rise time of my Lugano ECAT simulation and the rise time measured by Paradigmnoia for his cylinder shaped Durapot cast.

To determine what is correct I decided to make a FEM model of the cylinder shaped Durapot cast and simulate the same transient as shown in Para's "Test 8 - 1300 L to 1410 L Waiting fot it".

A picture of a central cut and that of the modelled cast is shown in the following picture

Within a few degrees the start and end temperatures of the transient simulation where the same as in Para's measurement.

I used the same Durapot physical properties as a function of the temperature as for the Lugano ECAT simulation.

Also the horizental time scale was the same.

After the simulation the graph of the step simulation was combined with the graph provided by Para.

This is shown in the following figure

As can be seen the simulation of the cylinder shaped Durapot cast has the same settling behaviour time as what was measured by Para.

However the transient simulation of the Lugano ECAT showed a much shorter settling time.

The conclusion from both simulation is then that the measured time by Para is in agreement with the simulation, but that the transient settling time of the cylinder shaped Durapot cast is quite different from the simulated settling time of the Lugano ECAT.

Thus the transient behavior of the cylinder shaped Durapot cast is not representative for the transient behavior of the Lugano ECAT.

• LDM,

Do you suppose it is the hollow area in the center of the Lugano device that speeds up the settling time (less mass in the hardest place to heat)?

I can't see the ribs helping, but instead hindering the settling time a bit.

Also, how hard is it to change the emissivity settings for your simulation?

• Do you suppose it is the hollow area in the center of the Lugano device that speeds up the settling time (less mass in the hardest place to heat)?

As Alan already stated that is certainly a factor.

Some other thoughts (But no proof)

Maybe the position of the heater coil plays also a role.

In my Lugano ECAT model it is wound on an inner tube with a diameter of 1 cm

So much closer to the center.

Also as you can see from the heat distribution of the central cut, even in the middle of your cast ther is still influence of the sides while in the Lugano ECAT due to it's much longer length, in the middle the heat leaking to the sides is much less. (Maybe you can test your Durapot cylinders with the sides isolated)

This results in the middle, where the transient is measured much less heat leaking away to the sides.

I can't see the ribs helping, but instead hindering the settling time a bit.

The outher surface, wether there are ribs are not are together with emissivity and convective heat transfer coefficient are determining the surface temperature.

But that does in my opinion not influence the settling time but only the height of the step.

The settling time will be mostly determined by the internal thermal capacitances and thermal resistances

Also, how hard is it to change the emissivity settings for your simulation?

Not that difficult, especially not for your cast.

For my ECAT simulations it is more cumbersome since the FEM program does not take into account view factors and reflections from the ribs.

So I have to correct the emissivities to take these effects into account before applying them to the model.

Concerning that I used the same Durapot physical properties as a function of the temperature as for the Lugano ECAT simulation the following.

That ECAT simulation was not published but was the one showing the third bump.

The curve was however close to the one of standard Alumina with the following differences.

In the beginning it rose almost as fast as the curve for dense Alumina but then went slightly under it.

Then at about the point of the third bump it started to rise somewhat exponentional again and ended at the same level as the Alumina simulation.

So in general the deviation from the Alumina curve was not much and the settling time stayed the same.

• LDM,

Why does your simulation show a cooler inside than the middle of the outside?

In the picture below a temperature profile taken in the middle from the center to the outside perpendicular to the axis is shown.

Distance 0 is the center of the rod, distance 0.0125 is the surface.

As can be seen the temperature in the middle is about 770 degree C while the temperature at the outside surface is about 735 degree C.

Thus the middle is not cooler then the outside.

The temperature in the middle is lower then the temperature near the heating element.

This is due to the short length of the rod which causes heat in the middle for a large degree also to flow to the sides of the rod and thus cooling the middle.

• LDM,

I may have been confused as to where edge of the cylinder was in the slice image. So the lines are the coil? The core temperature still seems low compared to the real thing, but no need to split hairs at the moment.

The emissivity question is about something else, which is best tackled after the simulation behaves as good as is reasonable.

• Paradigmnoia

I may have been confused as to where edge of the cylinder was in the slice image. So the lines are the coil?

Indeed, the double lines are the coil.

In the simulation the coil is running over the full length.

The core temperature still seems low compared to the real thing, but no need to split hairs at the moment

What is your measured temperature data ?

What is your difference between inside and outside ?

And where is your internal thermocouple located ? In the center ?

Also, is your cast resting on the floor (tiles) or is there room between the tiles and the cast so that no heat is leaking away by contact ?

In any case it is preferred to have the cast at at least such a height above the floor that a normal convective heat flow can develop and that almost no radiated heat is reflected from the floor upwards again.

Another point about your 17 minute stabilzation time.

That time frame is large enough that your room temperature may have changed.

Did you keep track of the room temperature and if it changed in that time frame compensated for it ?

And what was the emissivity setting used on your Pyrometer ?

Did you calibrate the Pyrometer with a thermocouple ?

The emissivity question is about something else, which is best tackled after the simulation behaves as good as is reasonable.

What do you mean by reasonable ?

• What is your measured temperature data ?

What is your difference between inside and outside ?

And where is your internal thermocouple located ? In the center ?

At 736 C outside, the core temperature is about 812 C, so about 80 C difference at that temperature.

The internal thermocouple is right in the center of the cylinder, both of the diameter and length.

The external thermocouple is cast into the outside surface, with the tip just visible in the casting.

Also, is your cast resting on the floor (tiles) or is there room between the tiles and the cast so that no heat is leaking away by contact ?

In any case it is preferred to have the cast at at least such a height above the floor that a normal convective heat flow can develop and that almost no radiated heat is reflected from the floor upwards again.

The casting is supported by the Kanthal A1 coil leads, which are doubled over and twisted so they are both strong enough to support the Cylinder and not get as hot as the coil itself, protecting the electrical connections. So the Cylinder is held about 6 cm above the fire bricks, supported only by thin wire (24 AWG x2) connected to the 14 AWG solid copper AC wiring by push connectors. I have considered removing one brick below the Cylinder so that reflected heat is not a problem.

Did you keep track of the room temperature and if it changed in that time frame compensated for it ?

Yes, I always have an ambient temperature thermocouple going. It rarely changes more than a degree from start to finish, unless experiments run for many hours.

There is an image of the Cylinder at 1107 C external T not too many posts back that shows the ambient sensor and has a description of it, It has radiant heat blocked by a fire brick.

Almost all experiments have a complete data log of all three thermocouples, and the thermocouple timestamps are used for all notes. (Since the cool down to ambient takes so long, I have been stopping the data logs around 150-200 C, since that is where the inside and outside temperatures tend to become the same.)

The real emissivity at 735 C is between 0.94 and 0.95 . It is probably 0.945, but the pyrometer only has two decimal places. I have calibrated the pyrometer from about 50 C all the way to 1107 C against the external thermocouple that is cast directly into the surface of the Cylinder.

• Paradigmnoia

Thanks' for taking the time in answering my questions

As you I am wondering what can be the cause of the differences in temperatures between your measurements and the simulations.

So some thoughts, remarks :

1. Dimensions

For the length of the simulated rod I used 5 cm

Don't know if that is correct.

A longer rod would have a higher temperature in the middle

Also I used an heating element over the full length.

Don't know if this true for your rod.

2. Power balance cross check

Deviding your rod in for example 5 sections and measuring the temperature of each section we should be able to calculate the total radiated and convective power.

That should about match the the applied power of the heating element

If you find the effort too much then I am prepared to make a spreadsheet with the calculations based on your data.

3. Thermal conductance

Maybe the thermal conductance is higher then the values I used.

This will lead to smaller temperatures drops and thus higher temperatures.

Against this is that the thermal conductance is also an important factor in the transient time constant.

And we have seen that in the simulation this about matches your transient profile.

4. Possibility that Durapot has lower broadband emissivities

Against this is that Durapot is less dense then Alumina, or it has more pores.

And the pores increase the emissivity

5. Pyrometer emissivity

For 735 C I have following my derived curve an Optris in band emissivity of about .93.

Since I believe your Pyrometer works with the 8 to 14 uM band, it covers less of the high emissivity values of the Alumina spectrum.

As a result I expect your Pyrometer should have a value less then .93.

My calculated value for that temperature is .90.

But that would only result in a difference of about 10 degree C on the pyrometer.

That you measured in your calibration a value higher then .90 can indeed be due to the pores increasing the emissvity somewhat compared to dense Alumina.

There is some theory about the heat distribution in round cylinders.

I will see if I can use that for some calculations and see if that will give some answers.

• LDM ,

The Cylinder is 6.6 cm long. The coil ends 2.5 mm from the ends of the cylinder.

One end runs a bit cooler than the other; the Durapot seems to have separated from the coil slightly for a few wraps on one side (1/3 of the diameter) of the cooler end, and it is hotter on the opposite side in the same place. I have been measuring the cooler part. The excess on one side seems to balance out the cooler part, and the coil hasn’t burned out. This means I should be a little short when calculating radiant and convective power overall. So far it has been working out fairly close to COP 1. The cooler end I have also made 1.1 cm, instead of 1 cm for calculations.

The segments I have been using are (in order) : 1.1, 1.0, 2.5, 1.0, and 1.0 cm. The second last segment is almost always the same or slightly (1-5 C) higher than the 2.5 cm middle segment. The one end has been cooler right from day one.

The cylinder end faces (circle area) are complicated due to a lot of temperature variation from the center to the outside rim. For simplicity I use a flat plate model with the same area as the circle for calculating power, and use the respective end segment temperature and emissivity as the end face values. Seems to be a reasonable compromise, and actually quite close to IR pyrometer values. It was a complete nuisance to back the pyrometer over 1 m away to get a good average temperature over the appropriate focal area and by aiming precisely at the cylinder ends, but I did it enough times to convince myself that the above cheat method was close enough.

There are plenty of ways to improve the equipment and methods further, but that is beyond the original scope of the project. I welcome anyone else to make a replication in kind, and improve on whatever they want.

I am actually surprised at how much abuse this Cylinder has taken so far. It is still hooked up, so if there are any particular temperatures (within reason) or something that you would like to know or be tested, I can test them out for you.

The poured Durapot is certainly not as dense as manufactured extruded alumina (like the Rods in Lugano).

• Paradigmnoia

The Cylinder is 6.6 cm long. The coil ends 2.5 mm from the ends of the cylinder.

What is your coil diameter ?

There are plenty of ways to improve the equipment and methods further, but that is beyond the original scope of the project.

I really appreciate your experiments.

They give me the feedback needed for improving the simulations.

I am actually surprised at how much abuse this Cylinder has taken so far. It is still hooked up, so if there are any particular temperatures (within reason) or something that you would like to know or be tested, I can test them out for you.

Thanks for that offer

If you supply the coil diameter I will change the model to fit your dimensions and do another simulation

However I see already that if I make my Durapot thermal conductances 50% of those currently, then as a result I get the same about 80 degree difference.

So I wonder if Durapot 810 has a very low thermal conductance.

A pity that Durapot does not state at what temperatures their physical values where taken.

• LDM ,

Try this and see how it compares: (I haven't added all the 0.39 E data to the calculation sheet, just the final one). I used The Thermal Wizard for radiation/convection calculations rather than build a giant spreadsheet to handle all those details. I just dragged and dropped the results into the respective cells after inputting the necessary details. (It takes a little practice to grab the values without lopping off a digit, since a cut-paste doesn't work with the web page.)

The coil is 1.9 cm OD.

• Bumping this over here...

Here is the source of the photo. Taken by the author of the story during a visit on Dec 14 2012. (small PDF)

http://www.borderlands.de/net_pdf/NET0113S13-15.pdf

I think I now have an idea of what is going on, intuitively. It will be complicated to demonstrate, but it should deal with the funky early ecat power.

1) There are four wires hooked up to the pre-flange type ecat.

2) Italy wiring code for 3 phase is:

Ground.........Yellow-green stripes

Neutral.........Blue

Phase1..........Brown

Phase2..........Black

Phase3..........Grey

The resistors are wired in series (apparently) but hooked up with 3 phases and a neutral. The meter is hooked up as though it is 3 phase 3 wire. Now think about that arrangement with probably the blue neutral hooked to a series connection (double wires into a connection block from the cylinder end). Imagine short phase angle control pulses for 360 W and 810 W longer pulses of 3 phase AC being fed into that arrangement. The current flow patterns in those cases I think could be quite complex. (I'll draw a little picture in a bit.)

The November test with the hot spot was hooked up the same.

• I pulled a brick out from below the Cylinder to make convection work freely, and picked up another true RMS meter to monitor current downstream of the controller at the same time as the voltage. That should allow the controller power consumption to be measured properly and give better measurements of the Cylinder power consumption. I am looking for one of those cable splitter blocks for the outlet to double-check the Kill-A-Watt measurements. (I might have the parts to make one).

• While repeating several power steps as used previously and checking current with the new Fluke meter, the Cylinder coil failed on one end while starting measurement of the 400 W step. After determining for a few seconds that the thermocouples were not shorting out, I turned the voltage to maximum to see if a Nernst glow could be achieved. The coil failure area glowed for an extended time, but it did not seem that it was being increased by the extra voltage. Resistance of the alumina was measured through the broken coil while still 1000 C and found to be several thousand ohms, rapidly increasing as it cooled, to the megaohm range before becoming too much to measure.

The Kill-A-Watt was found to be reporting only about 0.1 A higher than the Fluke meter reported at low output voltages (35-50 V AC) and the gap decreased as the voltage increased. Voltage was essentially the same. The Kill-A-Watt meter is only used on the electrical outlet to power controller connection (pure sine). So for total input power, the KAW unit seems quite accurate.

• While repeating several power steps as used previously and checking current with the new Fluke meter, the Cylinder coil failed on one end while starting measurement of the 400 W step. After determining for a few seconds that the thermocouples were not shorting out, I turned the voltage to maximum to see if a Nernst glow could be achieved. The coil failure area glowed for an extended time, but it did not seem that it was being increased by the extra voltage. Resistance of the alumina was measured through the broken coil while still 1000 C and found to be several thousand ohms, rapidly increasing as it cooled, to the megaohm range before becoming too much to measure.

The Kill-A-Watt was found to be reporting only about 0.1 A higher than the Fluke meter reported at low output voltages (35-50 V AC) and the gap decreased as the voltage increased. Voltage was essentially the same. The Kill-A-Watt meter is only used on the electrical outlet to power controller connection (pure sine). So for total input power, the KAW unit seems quite accurate.

It is very unfortunately that it happened now.

Don't know if you have still enough Durapot to make a new cylinder.

Nevertheless you provided the data of your previous measurements. Thanks for that.

Currently I am in the process doing FEM simulations on your rod and have discovered that there needs to be adaptions with respect to the thermal conductivity curve for Durapot .

This hopefully will bring measured data and the simulations more in line, but the current results are not too far off either.

I am however running out of time since I will be a few weeks away to Italy.

So it may be some time before I can provide a new update.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.