Aluminum is new oil?

• Official Post

Since it is becoming increasingly obvious that lenr tech is far away from commercialization, should we keep looking for a more conventional solutions?

One thing which comes to mind is a hydrogen hydrolysis which uses consumable aluminum catalyst.

In some parts of the world electricity prices are nearing all time lows. Up to 1 cent per kilowatt.

With tech from developers like h2 renaissance, or maybe Joe scientific why don't we replace oil and lithium batteries as energy storage by aluminum?

• Official Post

Zeus46 aluminum air battery could be close to h2 renaissance tech. What needs to be looked at is overall efficiency i.e. electricity output per unit of aluminum but they all look promising.

If I'm not mistaken, current aluminum production is roughly one tenth that of oil. It shouldn't be too hard to ramp it up given access to cheap electricity.

Transportation of aluminum is totally safe and will net require specific vessels.

You can buy cartridges in the corner store.

The resources of mining companies combined with car manufacturers are enough to make it happen.

No new tech is required all has been known for decades.

• Official Post

The biggest problem with existing electricity supply is that most of the electricity is produced away from where it is needed. And there is always transmission and storage losses.

That is why oil with it's energy density is still the main choice for mobile power i.e. vehicles.

At the very least the clam is that aluminum packs X2 energy density of oil and maybe more if the electrolysis is using some imported ways.

H2 renaissance claim the cost of 1kg of hydrogen at 1 dollar. Toyota Mirai can go 60 miles on 1 kg. I guess pickup truck will need 5-10 times that.

• Official Post

Thanks for the link, but forget it Max. They are simply making Hydrogen by reacting Aluminium with alkalis, I had someone (PhD chemist) seriously check these guys out a couple of years back. I didn't realise it was the descendant of SHT. The tech is worthless, since it produces contaminated waste - sodium aluminate which is almost useless without much further treatment. I have designed a system that is much much better, No alkalis, no contaminated waste product. And the hydrogen is so cheap you could just let it fly away and make money from the waste. OT for here, so I'll say no more.

• Official Post

I think I should post this video. This was not made as a show-off, it's just an impromptu and rather blurry (crap on the lens) video of a standard 3.5 kW propane/gasoline generator - which has never seen a gram of either from new - running on hydrogen made from a kilo of shredded soda can and engineering waste aluminium using our proprietary biosafe catalyst. You can tell it's running on hydrogen btw because its inside the lab and we are breathing the deadly oxygen dihydride exhaust.:D That kilo produces enough hydrogen to power it for up to 3 hours btw. And a lot of process heat (4kW) is given off too so the total COP is pretty impressive even running a cheap generator. A COP of 30 is entirely possible with a fuel-cell making the electricity.

I'm making a better video soon, and will - if anyone's interested - put it in here.

External Content vimeo.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• How does it work?

Large amounts of hydrogen is produced using an electro-hydraulic shock applied to plates of aluminum submerged in water. The electrohydraulic shock continuously removes the oxide film which forms on the surface of aluminum plates. The electro-hydraulic shock burns at a temperature hotter than the surface of the sun and creates an immense pressure of over 100,000 atmospheres. This takes place at a micro level. This shock is applied to the plates of aluminum to continuously destroy the oxide film, allowing for a set of 16 different physical and chemical processes to take place. This simultaneously decomposes the water molecules and eats away at the aluminum plates, releasing the hydrogen. The hydrogen generator runs at temperatures no hotter than 150 degrees Fahrenheit and is completely safe.

A patent has been issued on the key revolutionary processes used to produce hydrogen at incredibly efficient rates.

What are the inputs?

The key inputs are aluminum and water: these inputs drive the generator and also the 16 physical and chemical processes. There is a small amount of a chemical catalyst. The electricity needed is 50 watts to 150 watts (per hour).

Where do the inputs come from?

The generator uses tap water. The 50 to 150 watts of electricity can come from a small solar panel, a mini wind turbine, a wall socket or a self-charging battery similar to those used in cars. The aluminum and chemical catalyst can be changed every few days to every few months. This depends on the size of the generator. A generator used to power a house or a factory would need an aluminum change about every two months while a generator used in car would need aluminum change every 600 miles. The change can be done either by the user or a technician.

What happens to the Aluminum?

Used aluminum can be recycled. This will further reduce the operating cost.

• Official Post

Not only toxic if carelessly disposed of but pretty low value. They are using high-value input materials and getting out low-value waste and- inevitably - expensive hydrogen. We use low-value inputs and get out high-value by-products, and a lot of heat

Max Nozin - this is not really practical for small vehicle, but ok for big trucks perhaps. I have spent quite a few hours persuading car makers that 'this is not for your product, but might be a good way to power at least some of your plant'. At 8MWh total energy out per ton of scrap processed - all made at a profit- it is an attractive idea for investors, who we are talking to.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.