Ken Shoulders ; The Man Who Made Black Holes

• Very large valves of this design were used up through the late 60s for rectification to HVDC for efficient long distance high voltage transmissiion lines. I don't know if any of the valves still exist, since solid state and fiber optically triggered solid state devices may have completely replaced them. The huge powers and voltages (hundreds of kV) there make a great "natural experiment" to exaggerate the possible isotopic shifts seen in fluorescent lamps. But did anyone save even one of those valves? And more difficult: did anyone bother to save the mercury contained therein? The last of those valves I know of were manufactured or at least marketed by ASEA (essentially "the Swedish General Electric Company", If I recall ithe translation and acronym correctly).

• Official Post

I originally planned to use an ignition coil because they're easy to come by, they're durable and they only need a 12V DC power supply (or even a standard battery) and some kind of switch to operate as intended. Although the lifetime of a spark as generated in internal combustion engines is often quoted to be in the 1-2 milliseconds range, the actual HV pulse duration should be in the few nanoseconds range, although it's not exactly a square pulse as it should preferably be as Shoulders and others recommend.

You'll get 'ringing' - spiky AC as the coil current collapses. But worth a try. I've just ordered a couple of Hydrogen Thyratrons, they are used to generate HF pulse chains. And I am rather fond of bottle valves, being a former ham.

• Very large valves of this design were used up through the late 60s for rectification to HVDC for efficient long distance high voltage transmissiion lines. I don't know if any of the valves still exist, since solid state and fiber optically triggered solid state devices may have completely replaced them. The huge powers and voltages (hundreds of kV) there make a great "natural experiment" to exaggerate the possible isotopic shifts seen in fluorescent lamps. But did anyone save even one of those valves? And more difficult: did anyone bother to save the mercury contained therein? The last of those valves I know of were manufactured or at least marketed by ASEA (essentially "the Swedish General Electric Company", If I recall ithe translation and acronym correctly).

I'm stuck at the same point your working now, I may be trying to put things together that just cant work, I'm thinking about the square wave and any way to use a cathode combination as a square wave pulse. I'm interested in your experiment and threw in the valve. Any thoughts that jump out as your reading and add ideas to your list please post them.

Edit...I meant Can exp

• You'll get 'ringing' - spiky AC as the coil current collapses. But worth a try. I've just ordered a couple of Hydrogen Thyratrons, they are used to generate HF pulse chains. And I am rather fond of bottle valves, being a former ham.

Graphs like these made me think that an ignition coil should work for simple tests in air/standard atmosphere and that the initial high voltage spike should be reasonably short and of suitable quality. Shoulders apparently also used one for the small experiment described in his writing Charge Clusters In Action (attached below for convenience).

https://proxy.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.troublecodes.net%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2015%2F11%2Foscilloscope-ignition-waveform-300x156.jpg&f=1

http://19539-presscdn-0-72.pagely.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/Articles/03_01_2009/89493Figure2jpg_00000044241.jpg

• Official Post

Graphs like these made me think that an ignition coil should work for simple tests in air/standard atmosphere and that the initial high voltage spike should be reasonably short and of suitable quality. Shoulders apparently also used one for the small experiment described in his writing Charge Clusters In Action (attached below for convenience).

A car ignition coil will produce the HTDC pulse you want, but tweaks may be required. Your graph of the output shows the 'ringing' (also known as flyback) voltage which is described as 'coil oscillation' in both the discharge and charge cycles. With luck the voltage here is too low to be important. One very simple way -perhaps - of getting a crisper cut-off and obviating unwanted problems caused by ringing - if indeed there are any- would be to insert a second small spark-gap in the output circuit. If this can be adjusted so that only the primary pulse can jump over it then you should get a cleaner cut-off.

Also a speculation - It might be possible to insert a very high resistance of suitably substantial form between the coil side of such a secondary spark-gap and earth, thus providing a leakage path for the lower and slower current ripples produced by flyback, But I cannot state that with any certainty- that's what experiments are for.

• Alan Smith

I mean that ignition coil oscillation or ringing seems from oscilloscope traces I can find on the Internet (which of course are no substitute to actual testing with one's own equipment) to generally be of small entity compared to the HV spike. This spike is what supposedly matters: an EV should be formed when the brief sharp pulse ends. By the time the slower/softer ringing occurs, the EV should have already impacted the anode.

It is wasted energy however and it's probably a nuisance for high frequency operation. At a rate in the order of a few hundred Hz ~ 1 kHz I don't think it should be too much of a problem, but I haven't thought yet of all possible issues this might cause.

A cleaner and better controlled pulsing is certainly something that technically competent and well-equipped experimenters will want to look into. I'm just not part of such group yet.

• They are around, perhaps. Though there does not seem to be much recent activity on this website.

http://www.electricstuff.co.uk/mercarc.html

Do you think there would be any galvanic effect using ceramic mixed iron hematite as the glass within the vapor state mercury.or any effect other then dissipation through the iron?

Edit-- do you think it would self clean the passage or get stuck to the walls?

• Official Post

....do you think it would self clean the passage or get stuck to the walls?

Too many unknowns for me to venture a guess. You are out there in the Oort cloud at the moment, hopefully headed for the sunshine.

Now R.Mills is saying that hydrinos do not emitted any light and is essentially the dark matter.

Anybody sees a connection here?

It is my opinion that EVO's underline a lot of LENR effects. As for the Shoulders thread, BobG and I have shared an interest in this work for a long time, mine going back 20 years or so, 'cos I'm a lot older than him. ;)

• Official Post

all I am saying is that there could be 'simpler' explanation than black hole when you see something which is absolutely dark.

Sure - the 'black holes' reference came from private correspondence (from memory) between Shoulders and A.N. Other. I just thought it made a good title for a paper. As for simple explanations these are always best, of course.

• While doing a related web search I accidentally found that vacuum tubes called Traveling Wave Tubes (and actually abbreviated TWT) do exist on their own and are used for radiofrequency/microwave signal amplification purposes. The construction is very similar to Shoulders' TWT devices described in his patents that are supposed to show excess electricity production, but the mode of operation is different. If I understood correctly, here a RF signal is fed on the helix (coil) input and the current induced by the electron beam fed into the inner tube by an electron gun amplifies it. I suppose that the one coming from the electron gun here has to be a rather constant signal, as opposed to harshly pulsed as in Shoulders' case.

Since they're apparently relatively common devices (or so I just learned), perhaps one could somehow be adapted to work like Shoulders'?

• Alan Smith

On a second thought, if the internal construction is exactly as shown in the black and white diagram, it won't be easy to "adapt" one to work like Shoulders' TWT. Here (EDIT: meaning, in Shoulders' TWT) the coil is located outside the glass/dielectric tube, not inside. The EV is supposed to travel along the internal surface of the tube while in the other TWT amplifier tube the electron beam goes straight from the gun anode to the collector electrode. It's hard to tell, but the one from your ebay link seems to have such a construction too.

• Official Post

I'm not sure you could get this to work 'in reverse'. I think the helix would need to be outside the dielectric tube for a start. I am writing up something about making a practical version of the 'fig 50' device, based on my knowledge of Ham radio... KS has omitted some components from the circuitry - not enough to invalidate the patent since he mentions them in the text. Needs a lot of thought.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.