The proton-proton chain and LENR

• LENR is a fundamental force of nature. LENR gives liquid hydrogen its incompressibility. We who have been studying LENR understand

While sympathetic to LENR as a possible phenomenon that appears to have gained some evidence of operability here on Earth..... I can assert with considerable confidence that LENR is not a "force" whether it is natural or not. I doubt LENR is responsible for any limit to hydrogen's very substantial compressibility (only exceeded by helium). Blathering about LENR without respect for falsifiability or much concern for formulating hypotheses that even have a remote chance of being any more testable than say psychoanalysis or Marxism (two of Popper's favorites)-- will only harm LENR theory and research in the longer term.

And by the way, the deviation from ideality which allows "ultradense hydrogen" appears is very much a surface-associated phenomenon-- perhaps this is the commonality you wish to identify as "LENR". It is instead most likely a result of restraint of motion not necessarily invoking all new physics. So perhaps you, Axil, meant to write something akin to "surface associated ordering [may] contribute to hydrogen's evident high compressibility in LENR contexts...."

• http://mclarage.blogspot.com/2…ject-update-apr-2017.html

In this description of the SAFIRE project, a description of the double layer is provided. This structure is very much like the structure of metallic hydrogen where there is a charge separation between the positive core and the electron envelope. The very high pressure cavitation process produces a metallic water structure that demonstrates the same charge separation mechanism.

the description of the double layer can inspire an understanding of how metallic hydride materials behave.

The double layer concept is explained after figure 5.

• While sympathetic to LENR as a possible phenomenon that appears to have gained some evidence of operability here on Earth..... I can assert with considerable confidence that LENR is not a "force" whether it is natural or not. I doubt LENR is responsible for any limit to hydrogen's very substantial compressibility (only exceeded by helium). Blathering about LENR without respect for falsifiability or much concern for formulating hypotheses that even have a remote chance of being any more testable than say psychoanalysis or Marxism (two of Popper's favorites)-- will only harm LENR theory and research in the longer term.

And by the way, the deviation from ideality which allows "ultradense hydrogen" appears is very much a surface-associated phenomenon-- perhaps this is the commonality you wish to identify as "LENR". It is instead most likely a result of restraint of motion not necessarily invoking all new physics. So perhaps you, Axil, meant to write something akin to "surface associated ordering [may] contribute to hydrogen's evident high compressibility in LENR contexts...."

Holmlid states above as seen in his experiments as follows:

Coulomb explosions in H(0) in spin state s = 1 generate protons with kinetic energies larger than the retaining gravitational energy at the photosphere of the Sun. The required proton kinetic energy above 2 keV has been directly observed in published experiments.

2KeV translates into a temperature of 20,000,000C.

Eugene Wigner and Hillard Bell Huntington predicted that under an immense pressure of around 25 GPa (250,000 atm; 3,600,000 psi) hydrogen would display metallic properties:

If it takes that much pressure to form metallic hydrogen, it should require at least that much pressure to destroy it.

When Silvera and Dias managed to turn hydrogen metallic, it was at a pressure of 495 GPa, well beyond the 360 GPa of Earth's core.

That is 4,950,000 atm of pressure at least to destroy it.

But when metallic hydrogen forms, then you need to deal with degeneracy pressure.

View this video to understand degeneracy pressure.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electron_degeneracy_pressure

Electron degeneracy pressure will halt the gravitational collapse of a star if its mass is below the Chandrasekhar limit (1.39 solar masses[5]). This is the pressure that prevents a white dwarf star from collapsing. A star exceeding this limit and without significant thermally generated pressure will continue to collapse to form either a neutron star or black hole, because the degeneracy pressure provided by the electrons is weaker than the inward pull of gravity.

This video is informative also.

Where to Find Some Metallic Hydrogen - Ask a Spaceman!

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Longview wrote

" Our planet surely has some phase interfaces (crust to mantle and mantle to outer core etc.) , whether these are LENR active would be a question for theory and research"

There is a relatively new theory about aneutronic fusion at the centre of the earth..in iron deuteride lattices...just a few major assumptions.. interesting though

Possible generation of heat from nuclear fusion in Earth’s inner core by Mikio Fukuhara

http://www.nature.com/articles/srep37740

• Hans Bethe's Nobel prize for recognizing this proton-proton mechanism and quantifying its applicability to our Sun ranks, IMHO, second only to his timely and outspoken recognition of the fallibility of the 1980s US "Star Wars" project.

Longview :

Bethes model makes two absurd assumptions:

1. A di-proton is generated
    2. Good spends some energy and lets one of the protons decay...

Protons can never decay and the probability to kinetically build a di-proton is exactly “0”. Even worse if you have two high momentum particles symmetric H-H → D fusion can be 10000% excluded because of momentum conservation. But this is exactly what Bethe claims...

Nevertheless the Sun does H-H fusion and the result is live on earth. Luckily for Bethe the energy calculation will always be the “same”, independent of any fantastic theory.

• For the sake of argument, let's set aside the transition from pp to pn (deuterium) via the weak force and replace it with something else. How do we then understand the accumulation of heavier elements (e.g., helium, nickel, etc.) in stars? Presumably there is fusion occurring at some point?

• For the sake of argument, let's set aside the transition from pp to pn (deuterium) via the weak force and replace it with something else. How do we then understand the accumulation of heavier elements (e.g., helium, nickel, etc.) in stars? Presumably there is fusion occurring at some point?

LENR is know to produce every element that exists. This can be done using magnetic catalyzation via quark fusion and not nuclear fusion.

• LENR is know [sic] to produce every element that exists. This can be done using magnetic capitalization via quark fusion and not nuclear fusion.

So far it is barely accepted to produce ANY element that exists, and that would only be in our community of believers. Where, by the way, I am currently a 'warm' agnostic, accepting F&P type electrolytics, Mitchell Swartz nanors and phusors, both barring conclusive disproofs).

More likely "magnetic capitalization" via Bitcoin, other cryptocurrencies and "pump and dump" schemes to fleece the "bigger fool" as in tulip mania. Quarks are already quite fused at LENR temperatures.

• How do we then understand the accumulation of heavier elements (e.g., helium, nickel, etc.) in stars? Presumably there is fusion occurring at some point?

Eric, isn't the classical explanation that the really heavy nucleosynthesis is part of the super nova process? Helium is relatively easy, as may be the light elements. But iron and heavier than iron elements are much more problematic, regardless of any acceptance of LENR. Our solar system being putatively accumulated from the high atomic weight remnants of at least two successive levels of earlier super novae blowups, if I recall that correctly.

• So far it is barely accepted to produce ANY element that exists, and that would only be in our community of believers. Where, by the way, I am currently a 'warm' agnostic, accepting F&P type electrolytics, Mitchell Swartz fusors, both barring conclusive disproofs).

More likely "magnetic capitalization" via Bitcoin, other cryptocurrencies and "pump and dump" schemes to fleece the "bigger fool" as in tulip mania. Quarks are already quite fused at LENR temperatures.

"magnetic capitalization" should read "magnetic catalyzation"

• Longview, as you indicate, helium is light. In a supernova, there are r-process, rp-process and p-process nucleosynthesis, none of which (to my knowledge) produce nickel; nonetheless I assume some nickel is also produced in supernovae. But what we must account for is the generation and gradual accumulation of elements such as helium and nickel in stars over time before a supernova event has occurred. Or we must assert that there is no such generation and accumulation during the normal burning of a star.

If we allow that helium gradually accumulates in light stars, and we claim that the pp chain is in error and the sun's energy comes from another process, we must account for the helium accumulation.

• Eric, I don't see overwhelming need to accept that the pp process is in error. Do you know of any good evidence for that? LENR type process can still occur naturally at some rate and not necessarily obviate the Bethe model, No? My "interface" tentative "model" might actually exclude LENR per se from stellar cores, since it is only by a stretch of the imagination that "surface" boundaries occur in such hot and very high pressure environments. Even with a nod to Fabrice David's assertion of possible core "ices" of some sort-- although water ice is out on several counts: no molecular structure, and even if there were, water ice is nearly unique in being lighter than the parent liquid (i.e. the solid-critical fluid boundary has a novel and somewhat negative slope).

• Eric, I don't see overwhelming need to accept that the pp process is in error. Do you know of any good evidence for that?

I also have no reason to question the existence and operation of the p-p chain. Wyttenbach stated that the Bethe model was based on absurd assumptions, and I wanted to explore the ramifications to see where they would lead.

• Official Post

So far it is barely accepted to produce ANY element that exists, and that would only be in our community of believers. Where, by the way, I am currently a 'warm' agnostic, accepting F&P type electrolytics, Mitchell Swartz fusors, both barring conclusive disproofs).

Of all the LENR old-guard, Swartz confuses me the most. I've read his work, listened to his lectures. He has always given the impression, supported by his data, that he is past the: "is LENR real" phase, and ready with the commercialization, yet it never happens. By going commercial, I mean the lab rat he has been about ready to sell, and distribute ever since I took an interest in LENR 7 years ago. He has even hooked up his Nanor cell with a Stirling Engine, and run it (on video)...which is a far better proof of concept than heating a cup of tea, as has been demanded of LENR researchers since FPs.

Even Hagelstein endorses him, as evidenced by their close affiliation that has lasted for 2 decades. Together they offer the annual MIT LENR class lecture. So why has he not launched yet? Confusing to me. But then again, there are so many things in LENR that confuse me. But what do I know.

So is Swartz one the many that will take his LENR secrets to the grave, as so many others before him?

• If the "decay" is to a neutron, then there is increased mass, so that is not a "decay" in any case, but requires work / energy and likely other considerations.

How do you know that there aren't catalytic and physical processes that allow such transformations?

Longview :

The (Bethe) model speaks of positron emission, what needs energy. But so far there were never ever any nuclear levels above 0 eV detected for Deuterium. From known facts Bethes model is nonsense.

The LENR mechanism with a two time rotating B field along an E-field allows to build strings of matter, which will produce any elements. The output only depends on the amount of matter and the strength of the B-field. The ideal place seems to be the corona of the sun. On earth, a reactor of the Mills type.

So is Swartz one the many that will take his LENR secrets to the grave, as so many others before him?

From the distended scurrilous rumour-mill, Planet-lomax.net:

"You mention the Nanor and a possible price of $30,000. If that is a fair price, this thing is far, far too expensive for something reported to generate a few milliwatts. Few would buy it, if any, but IH might — and, in fact, I would not be surprised to find out that they have already arranged independent testing. They are working with Hagelstein and the connection between Hagelstein and Swartz is close enough that Hagelstein would not talk with me, because Swartz. He did not explain, but it was obvious."

• Official Post

From the distended scurrilous rumour-mill, Planet-lomax.net:

"You mention the Nanor and a possible price of $30,000. If that is a fair price, this thing is far, far too expensive for something reported to generate a few milliwatts. Few would buy it, if any, but IH might — and, in fact, I would not be surprised to find out that they have already arranged independent testing. They are working with Hagelstein and the connection between Hagelstein and Swartz is close enough that Hagelstein would not talk with me, because Swartz. He did not explain, but it was obvious."

If those milliwatts were overunity, they would probably be worth billions. At the least, make a huge impact both here on earth, and in space. Do you have the Scurrilous rumor-mill reference Zeus?

• One should not forget that heavy elements (really any element that doesn't get pushed away by the solar wind) are drawn into stars on a regular basis by gravity. Dust, comets, asteroids, even planets and companion stars can be pulled in to a star, thus contributing large amounts of non- nuclear-derived elements.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.