The proton-proton chain and LENR

• So is Swartz one the many that will take his LENR secrets to the grave, as so many others before him?

Swartz has complained in some detail that his patent applications to the USPTO are still being rejected. This would be a shameful misdirection of the US patent system... which of course is predicated on offering a limited monopoly in exchange for complete disclosure suitable for replication. Swartz should pursue WIPO patents if he has not already. Perhaps he should get in touch with the Lipinski's clearly excellent patent counsel.

• Official Post

Swartz has complained in some detail that his patent applications to the USPTO are still being rejected. This would be a shameful misdirection of the US patent system... which of course is predicated on offering a limited monopoly in exchange for complete disclosure suitable for replication. Swartz should pursue WIPO patents if he has not already. Perhaps he should get in touch with the Lipinski's clearly excellent patent counsel.

Longview,

Like Piantelli, he is getting up there in age. I really do not think the USPTO is going to start approving LENR patents anytime soon. So it seems to me that Swartz has a pretty simple decision to make; either take his secrets to the grave like so many others before him, or say to hell with the patent, roll the dice, and just put the damn thing on the market.

That said, the USPTO hinted to Rossi to just show them proof his Ecat worked, and they would reassess their rejection. I would think the offer applies also to Swartz.

• Not so sure the Lipinskis' patent counsel is good. I would expect competent counsel to instruct them to omit the "unified gravity" theory and just stick to a description of the apparatus, possibly going a little further in the motivation section.

• I suspect the election to emphasize their novel theory may have had patent strategic intent. Having no theoretical basis would have invited categorization as either cold or hot fusion by the examiners. Taking the technology away from conventional categories may have given an easier path to patentability. And, if they happened to be right, it would have greatly broadened the impact of their claims.... essentially establishing a whole new field.

That is just a guess, and I am not a patent agent or attorney.

• Having no theoretical basis would have invited categorization as either cold or hot fusion by the examiners.

Fusion patents indeed have high hurdles! They too most likely (by uncle SAM) are sacked by the military/defence clause --> you pay - nothing comes back...

Their theory is not that bad as others and gives a result that is close to the expected maximum. But when you analyze their data, you clearly see, that there is no experimental correlation with the theory. They calculated 223 eV as the optimum proton speed. In fact it is around 100 eV, but the frequency is even more important than the speed, what is unknown to their theory.

• They calculated 223 eV as the optimum proton speed. In fact it is around 100 eV, but the frequency is even more important than the speed, what is unknown to their theory.

Yes, correct. But I give them credit for being fairly close. That is, their model prediction is about 4 orders of magnitude closer than the dominant paradigm.

• ...... but the frequency is even more important than the speed, what is unknown to their theory.

Which frequency are you referring to here, Wyttenbach? If I recall correctly, the Lipinskis don't address why using a square wave at particular frequency ranges greatly increases their alpha yield. I don't think they address the apparent great increase in yield when the lithium target is positively biased (much of the time).

There is a curious parallel with F & P electrolysis experiments. If I recall correctly, the use of an alkaline electrolyte is almost universally necessary, where acidic electrolytes fail. Acids would be the only ones likely to have any "naked" protons / deuterons. In both situations it is suggestive of some sort of electron shielding, that is electrons most likely accompany successful fusion events.

That in turn suggests, to me anyway, that F & P cells might benefit by having square wave AC impressed on the electrolysis. And I don't claim that has not already been tried.

• Which frequency are you referring to here, Wyttenbach? If I recall correctly, the Lipinskis don't address why using a square wave at particular frequency ranges greatly increases their alpha yield. I don't think they address the apparent great increase in yield when the lithium target is positively biased (much of the time).

There is a curious parallel with F & P electrolysis experiments. If I recall correctly, the use of an alkaline electrolyte is almost universally necessary, where acidic electrolytes fail. Acids would be the only ones likely to have any "naked" protons / deuterons. In both situations it is suggestive of some sort of electron shielding, that is electrons most likely accompany successful fusion events.

That in turn suggests, to me anyway, that F & P cells might benefit by having square wave AC impressed on the electrolysis. And I don't claim that has not already been tried.

If i have well understood what you suggest, an H proton both with another neutral H should be enough to fuse ? Because an electron layer ( from the neutral H) should stay before both H+, finally ? Square wave AC should constrain electron in a "non-circular" trajectory between each H+, conducive to fusion ?

• Official Post

There is a curious parallel with F & P electrolysis experiments. If I recall correctly, the use of an alkaline electrolyte is almost universally necessary, where acidic electrolytes fail.

While I cannot claim any connection with F&P, I do agree about the alkaline electrolytes being necessary. But I suspect that weak bases or Amphoteric or Quasi-Amphoteric electrolytes are better in some circumstances. Sodium Citrate, Aluminium Hydroxide, Sodium Bicarbonate all seem readier to produce 'strangeness' than (for example) Sodium Hydroxide.

Any thoughts about why that might be?

• But I suspect that weak bases or Amphoteric or Quasi-Amphoteric electrolytes are better in some circumstances. Sodium Citrate, Aluminium Hydroxide, Sodium Bicarbonate all seem readier to produce 'strangeness' than (for example) Sodium Hydroxide.

Interesting. And also taking from Cydonia's question above: So it might be predicted that diprotic or triprotic acids as their salts would be advantageous since there is the possibility of both an H+ and a bound H (Ho, or H- , OH- ) present in close proximity. All those examples you list Alan have this quality of more than one dissociation energy for protons or for OH- thus enabling simultaneous presence of shielded and unshielded protons / deuterons. Aluminum is also a quite novel metal for having the quality of substantial Lewis acidity as well.

Along these same lines I was interested in the patent recently posted here that made use of tetramethylamine complexed with a cage-like polysiloxane "POSS". Tetramethylamine is inherently rather unnatural and unstable, in my opinion, the siloxane cage giving at once a very amphoteric milieu, I suspect. In any case TMA is the source of OH- in aqueous solutions.

• Interesting. And also taking from Cydonia's question above: So it might be predicted that diprotic or triprotic acids as their salts would be advantageous since there is the possibility of both an H+ and a bound H (Ho, or H- , OH- ) present in close proximity. All those examples you list Alan have this quality of more than one dissociation energy for protons or for OH- thus enabling simultaneous presence of shielded and unshielded protons / deuterons. Aluminum is also a quite novel metal for having the quality of substantial Lewis acidity as well.

Along these same lines I was interested in the patent recently posted here that made use of tetramethylamine complexed with a cage-like polysiloxane "POSS". Tetramethylamine is inherently rather unnatural and unstable, in my opinion, the siloxane cage giving at once a very amphoteric milieu, I suspect. In any case TMA is the source of OH- in aqueous solutions.

Generally speaking H+ and H combination should work with other elements also.

What we have to do ? It's ionizing up to K layer ( but more than electron's valence layer), we need for this around 80 Ev not too far from Wyttenbach understanding ( or Lipinski)

K electron's seems help to fuse without forbidding it helped by quantum fluctuations at this layer.

• Which frequency are you referring to here, Wyttenbach? If I recall correctly, the Lipinskis don't address why using a square wave at particular frequency ranges greatly increases their alpha yield.

Longview : Lipinskis once, by mistake, changed the polarity of their experiment. Instead of shooting protons on Lithium they removed (the implanted) protons from Lithium, with a much larger effect measured... This clearly indicates that the fusion happens under dense plasma regime below surface. An alternating E/H field leads to a rotating field, because the spin-axis switch. The optimal frequency is given by the second Li atom relax time, which also depends on the E & B field strength.

As said: Li-Fusion will soon shine up. Whether only the military will use it - or not - depends on willing researchers to find out the optimal conditions for home usage.

May be we should remind the anti LENR trolls in the other threads, that Lipinsks did prove all LENR effects including large quantities of 4He...and a reasonable COP.

... and of course 100eV input is not enough to generate any substantial radiation besides e+(-).

• Too difficult for my understanding Dear Wyttenbach, could you please, be more simple to describe what you said ? Thanks a lot.

Lipinskis once, by mistake, changed the polarity of their experiment. Instead of shooting protons on Lithium they removed (the implanted) protons from Lithium, with a much larger effect measured... This clearly indicates that the fusion happens under dense plasma regime below surface. An alternating E/H field leads to a rotating field, because the spin-axis switch. The optimal frequency is given by the second Li atom relax time, which also depends on the E & B field strength.

• Too difficult for my understanding Dear Wyttenbach, could you please, be more simple to describe what you said ? Thanks a lot.

Cydonia : Protons (+ charge) were shot with the help of a potential between "-" 100 .. some 1000 Volts onto Lithium wavers. If you reverse the voltage (on the fly, by mistake) the surface implanted protons move into the other direction - out of the Lithium disk ...

Reversing the E-field has severe consequences, because it also reverses the B-field. This then also affects the spin of the Lithium ions, that are in plasma state. This secondary effect is key for the generation of a LENR ready field. You can't achieve a rotating field without toggling nuclei. The same happens in Mills SUN-CELL.

Later they changed the field intentionally with varying frequencies.

• Official Post

https://phys.org/news/2018-01-result-scientists.html

Surprising result shocks scientists studying spin

January 8, 2018, Brookhaven National Laboratory

Surprising result shocks scientists studying spin

Neutrons produced when a spin-aligned (polarized) proton collides with another proton come out with a slight rightward-skew preference. But when the polarized proton collides with a much larger gold nucleus, the neutrons' directional … more

Imagine playing a game of billiards, putting a bit of counter-clockwise spin on the cue ball and watching it deflect to the right as it strikes its target ball. With luck, or skill, the target ball sinks into the corner pocket while the rightward-deflected cue ball narrowly misses a side-pocket scratch. Now imagine your counter-clockwise spinning cue ball striking a bowling ball instead, and deflecting even more strongly—but to the left—when it strikes the larger mass.

Read more at: https://phys.org/news/2018-01-result-scientists.html#jCp

• A little arithmetic shows that the predominant gold nucleus (197) has a considerably higher percentage of neutrons than the predominant aluminum (27). Ignoring the unbaked theory of the physicists in that article, for the moment. Perhaps the greater likelihood of a proton-neutron interaction skews the results, at least statistically since, to my knowledge, these experiments are nearly always statistically summarized to conclusions-- something Feynman taught us/me. The proton-neutron interaction is far more a magnetic one, since there is no coulomb involved there by contrast with a proton-proton interaction. Similarly, proton-proton should be more characteristic of aluminum, where the neutron:proton ratio is very near 50:50. The gold nucleus by contrast is close to 60% neutrons, reducing the coulombic electrostatic interaction and favoring the magnetic.

Just some ideas, welcoming criticism and/or refinements. Such as: Why would a more magnetic interaction skew protons to the opposite side?

• The gold nucleus by contrast is close to 60% neutrons, reducing the coulombic electrostatic interaction and favoring the magnetic.

Taking that idea one step further: Compare lithium 6 with lithium 7. The 7 isotope has a 4:3 neutron to proton ratio, that is about 57% neutron content, v. the 50% of Li6.

Perhaps this explains the Lipinskis' notion that Li6 and its proton adduct Be7, with its possibly dangerous decay, is simply insignificant, even with the Li6 nominal 7.5% natural abundance. The Li6 nucleus might fail to have a low energy "Lipinski window" and thus not produce a fusion product with nearly the cross section of Li7.

• Perhaps this explains the Lipinskis' notion that Li6 and its proton adduct Be7, with its possibly dangerous decay, is simply insignificant, even with the Li6 nominal 7.5% natural abundance. The Li6 nucleus might fail to have a low energy "Lipinski window" and thus not produce a fusion product with nearly the cross section of Li7.

Longview : 6Li is magnitudes more stable than 7Li. The only possible target would be 12C. This can happen if it is well (spin) aligned with 2 7Li going to 8Be + 6Li. It's like in the bomb, it needs ignition first. (The measured/ calculated Lipinski fusion rate can only be attained with additional reactions!)

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.