The LION experiment

• Official Post

can:

Possibly this would work, Al and Cu would certainly generate secondaries. Russ George who is currently supplying in-house expertise at the LFH lab is a big fan of standard Geigers placed behind a silver foil screen, which according to him can transform what appears to be a moderately raised count (over background) to a full on screaming saturated geiger counter.

• Alan Smith

Great to know. The idea is capturing as much as possible of a flux of decaying neutral particles (possibly) and/or fast charged particles that would normally elude detection. A very thick block of a light conductor like aluminium exposed to such flux might be able to produce a voltage large enough to be measured with a standard multimeter. A similar principle using an oscilloscope has been used by at least another researcher (that I know), but not with such a thick block of material, and not externally like depicted in the diagram.

• I contend that confining the muons with a magnetic bottle will greatly increase the energy production of the reactor. The confinement of muons might induce fusion inside the reactor core. If muons cold be held for 10 microseconds, most of them will decay before the can leave the core. This would impart 105 MeV per muon inside the core that would usually be lost to the far field when the muons are allowed to escape the core.

• Update: Switched off the reactor today after 140 hours from start. No surprising effects seen, preliminary data analysis underway but at first glance it looks like a null result. More work to do on this though.

hello Alan

firstly, thanks for carefully undertaking this lengthy task and reporting back to us the results

are the LFH team disappointed/surprised/intrigued by these initial results?

has LION since made any comments about the results, or enquired about any of the experiment conditions?

thanks for reading

[sr]

Gie me ae spark o' nature's fire, That's a' the learning I desire

R. Burns

• Official Post

LFH team disappointed/surprised/intrigued by these initial results?

Hi there. Not any of the above, to a great degree, this is LENR, the famously fickle dame we are talking about, you just keep bringing her flowers and whisky until she cracks a smile.

LION hasn't yet got back to us, but was never a rapid responder so no surprise there. We have another fuel tube of our own manufacture to run - probably starting tomorrow, and are also investigating another preparation process involving a shorter diapad bake at (perhaps) 600C and then 24 hours subjected to high-intensity ultrasound in heavy water, using a heated US tank. Deuterium loading via cavitation is known to work for Ti and other metals, but to what exemt it works in nickel or diamonds is unknown - to me at any rate. 600C is well below the recognised oxidation temperature of diamonds btw, but we will do full optical microscopic examination at each stage- looking for changes but without any preconceived ideas.

The game's afoot!

• 24 hours subjected to high-intensity ultrasound in heavy water, using a heated US tank.

are Shermans watertight then?

(sorry, couldn't resist)

thank you for the update; your new plans sound like a good idea, given the lack of info re. LION 2 details - at least with these forthcoming experiments you know exactly what are the procedures, and what you hope to test.

bon chance!

[sr]

R. Burns

• Do we know what LION's score is when testing his own reactors? I know of 2 reactors that are claimed to have produced excess heat and whose remains are now in the possession of Bob Greenyer. These are being called LION 1 and LION 2. I seem to recall talk of another reactor that LION tested after these two but I'm not sure what the result was. Let's call that LION 3. Are there others? Did they produce excess heat too?

• Official Post

I meant to post this yesterday...

External Content vimeo.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Update on a second dummy run with 7/30 prepared diamonds. Just over 100 hours into the hot zone and no excitement as of the 60 hour mark. The reactor was given a slow ramp up to 900C at the start, and was then cycled between 800/900C for many hours, with one run up to 1000C and then back to 800, where it has remained (unattended) for the last 40 hours approx. Going to check on it soon - no b/band in the lab for at least another 10 days so a personal visit is required. If anything interesting has/is occurring I will report later.

Thanks for the report and the effort Alan

• Official Post

OK- thank you.

Here, btw is the inspiration for working on this.

One of Bertrand Russell’s lesser-known pro-secular works is a 1951 piece for New York Times Magazine called “The Best Answer to Fanaticism: Liberalism.” In this, he wrote a “Liberal Decalogue,” what might be better called today a “Secular 10 Commandments”:

1. Do not feel absolutely certain of anything.
    2. Do not think it worth while to proceed by concealing evidence, for the evidence is sure to come to light.
    3. Never try to discourage thinking for you are sure to succeed.
    4. When you meet with opposition, endeavour to overcome it by argument and not by authority, for a victory dependent upon authority is unreal and illusory.
    5. Have no respect for the authority of others, for there are always contrary authorities to be found.
    6. Do not use power to suppress opinions you think pernicious, for if you do the opinions will suppress you.
    7. Do not fear to be eccentric in opinion, for every opinion now accepted was once eccentric.
    8. Find more pleasure in intelligent dissent than in passive agreement, for, if you value intelligence as you should, the former implies a deeper agreement than the latter.
    9. Be scrupulously truthful, even if the truth is inconvenient, for it is more inconvenient when you try to conceal it.
    10. Do not feel envious of the happiness of those who live in a fool’s paradise, for only a fool will think that it is happiness.
  • Do not think it worth while to proceed by concealing evidence, for the evidence is sure to come to light.

Alan you are living up to this and thanks so much for that. But aren't Rossi and LION doing the direct opposite? At some point hopefully you can convince LION to be more transparent. I don't think Rossi has any real evidence to conceal.

• Official Post

This Bertrand must be an American

No- Bertrand Russel is as British as Fish and Chips. He was awarded a named chair at Trinity College, Cambridge UK, currently occupied by a friend, Huw Price who has the title. 'Bertrand Russel Professor of Logic.' Russel as a formidable mathematician as well as a philosopher who went on to become a founder member of UK's CND (Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament). Apart from a dalliance with adultery he led a pretty blameless and interesting life, and got a Nobel Prize.

• OK- thank you.

Here, btw is the inspiration for working on this.

One of Bertrand Russell’s lesser-known pro-secular works is a 1951 piece for New York Times Magazine called “The Best Answer to Fanaticism: Liberalism.” In this, he wrote a “Liberal Decalogue,” what might be better called today a “Secular 10 Commandments”:

1. Do not feel absolutely certain of anything.
    2. Do not think it worth while to proceed by concealing evidence, for the evidence is sure to come to light.
    3. Never try to discourage thinking for you are sure to succeed.
    4. When you meet with opposition, endeavour to overcome it by argument and not by authority, for a victory dependent upon authority is unreal and illusory.
    5. Have no respect for the authority of others, for there are always contrary authorities to be found.
    6. Do not use power to suppress opinions you think pernicious, for if you do the opinions will suppress you.
    7. Do not fear to be eccentric in opinion, for every opinion now accepted was once eccentric.
    8. Find more pleasure in intelligent dissent than in passive agreement, for, if you value intelligence as you should, the former implies a deeper agreement than the latter.
    9. Be scrupulously truthful, even if the truth is inconvenient, for it is more inconvenient when you try to conceal it.
    10. Do not feel envious of the happiness of those who live in a fool’s paradise, for only a fool will think that it is happiness.

Three observations.

First. ... Right on!

Second ... The biggest mistake I see among the online followers of the LENR story is failing to realize that being open-minded isn't just confined to coming up with imaginative and iconoclastic new ideas. Instead, open-mindedness also lies in putting aside your ideas if the evidence runs against them. It is this quality of self-iconoclasm that separates fanatics from truth-seekers.

Third ... As a social enterprise, modern science, particularly pure research, actually does a pretty good job of following Russell's 10 commandments. Nothing is perfect of course but, to paraphrase Churchill, organized science as it is presently constituted is the worst way to seek empirical truth except for all the other ways that have been tried out. I know that the LENR community regards itself as the victim of mainstream science, but this is merely because it (LENR research) has not yet come up with the goods.In this regard, mainstream scientists are doing exactly what they are supposed to do -- putting aside ideas that cannot seem to acquire strong empirical support.

• Forum are the same as a Courthouse with lawyers judges defendants and prosecutors, any evidence must be present within the guidelines of the prosecution acceptable knowledge outlined in advance. knowledge outside this line will be removed from the proceedings from non uniformity even when uniformity is designed to ignore acceptable unacknowledged truth be way of deliberat deception or ignorance.

How do we know whats true in todays word without looking at evidence we already percived as ludacis~

What a mess.

• Here, btw is the inspiration for working on this.

1. ...

a humbling and challenging set of principles - as good as a guide for a thoughtful and considerate life, as for scientific endeavour

before we each jump on some 'pet' principle or other, within in them, which we believe supports our own 'position', we would do well to realise that the canny Mr Russell formulated his Decalogue to ensure that all 10 principles apply equally to all of us, regardless of which 'side' we believe we represent

we still have as much to learn today in our own struggles for truth, as did society then

more power to your elbow, Alan - keep us on our toes!

(and thank you for sharing the Liberal Decalogue)

[sr]

R. Burns

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.