Physics of hydrogen/deuterium loading

• Perhaps of interest to experimenters interested in hydrogen loading is this recent preprint ---

"Transport of hydrogen isotopes through interlayer spacing in van der Waals crystals"

ABSTRACT: Atoms start behaving as waves rather than classical particles if confined in spaces commensurate with their de Broglie wavelength. At room temperature this length is only about one angstrom even for the lightest atom, hydrogen. This restricts quantum-confinement phenomena for atomic species to the realm of very low temperatures. Here we show that van der Waals gaps between atomic planes of layered crystals provide angstrom-size channels that make quantum confinement of protons apparent even at room temperature. Our transport measurements show that thermal protons experience a notably higher barrier than deuterons when entering van der Waals gaps in hexagonal boron nitride and molybdenum disulfide. This is attributed to the difference in de Broglie wavelength of the isotopes. Once inside the crystals, transport of both isotopes can be described by classical diffusion, albeit with unexpectedly fast rates, comparable to that of protons in water. The demonstrated angstrom-size channels can be exploited for further studies of atomistic quantum confinement and, if the technology can be scaled up, for sieving hydrogen isotopes.

https://arxiv.org/abs/1802.03205

It would be interesting to know whether the reportedly successful Patterson/Miley experiments with multiple plated nickel/platinum spheres might have been plated to maximize loading.

• Dear All,

I’m very interested in cold fusion, and did spend some time reading articles.

Most reactions are seen in high deuterium loaded lattices, and movements of the deuterium inside the lattice seems also be a key factor.

Basic you want to have high pressure hotspots inside a lattice, produced by super waves or something else.

I was thinking; why not use piezo materials to increase the pressure.

Data of hydrogen diffusion in piezo materials is very rare, but in mine search I found a paper of a very special material.

The material is Vanadium dioxide in single-crystal nanobeams.

Atomic hydrogen does diffuse remarkable well in it, the paper proves it!

From what I understand are the tube gaps just big enough to let the hydrogen atoms in.

And the row of hydrogen/ deuterium atoms inside the tube does look for me as the Edmund Storms Hydroton model!!!

Maybe someone should take a closer look at this material.

I’m electronic engineer, and don’t have the equipment to test it :(

Paper can be found under this link:

https://arxiv.org/abs/1409.4661

Hope this helps :)

Ron

• Official Post

About piezoelectric excitation, I remember some electrolythic experiments with ultrasonic excitation.

I've found Work by Dardik of Energetics Technology (technology is now owned by SKINR/Uni Missouri)

http://lenr-canr.org/acrobat/DardikIultrasonic.pdf

There is probably much more articles and experimental protocols than that.

maybe JedRothwell know more on who did what with ultrasonic transducers.

about hydrogen in metals, Nicolas Armanet of I2HMR have studied the domain, and gathered data and advices from various people (including Edmund Storms).

Given your electronic background, Energetics patent, Brillouin patents may talk to you more than average.

There is tons of articles, with thousands of already tested ideas, maybe doing a replication of something you can implement, would be productive... I bet there is somethig exactly for you.

For electromagnetic shocks, note that DEnis Letts have produced some paper, some with Bockris too. Some article by Vitorio Violante at ENEA referes to Magnetic pulses too.

If you want to do calorimetry in electrolysis, ask experienced researchers.

Edmund Storms have proposed kitchen-style of seebeck calorimeter, that you may even make better with some up to date electronics and processing.

http://lenr-canr.org/acrobat/StormsEhowtomakea.pdf

I admit the domain requires replication more than imagination.

Welcome.8)

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.