Cold Fusion Now : New Podcast with Alan Smith interview by Ruby carat

• Official Post

After Jean-Paul Biberian, Andrew Meulenberg, Michael McKubre, David J Nagel,

rubycarat have publishedthe interview of Alan Smith on ColdFusionNow :

http://coldfusionnow.org/cold-…-podcast-with-alan-smith/

• Official Post

Excellent listen. Very informative on the practical side. Loved to hear Alan hammer on the secrecy theme, and how it is not doing LENR much good. How LFH started when he and Sam met and discussed how the field is in "paralysis". Talked about his LENR "glow discharge" demo, he will be giving at the Mats Lewan's upcoming event in Stockholm. All about his recycling business about to launch, and the numbers involved.

Very good anecdotes about Rossi, and why he and others "far smarter then he" still think he (Rossi) may have, or had something. Like I said...a good listen.

• Excellent listen. Very informative on the practical side. Loved to hear Alan hammer on the secrecy theme, and how it is not doing LENR much good. How LFH started when he and Sam met and discussed how the field is in "paralysis". Talked about his LENR "glow discharge" demo, he will be giving at the Mats Lewan's upcoming event in Stockholm. All about his recycling business about to launch, and the numbers involved.

Very good anecdotes about Rossi, and why he and others "far smarter then he" still think he (Rossi) may have, or had something. Like I said...a good listen.

Don't get me freaking started on secrecy. I'm sick of how secrecy begats more secrecy like rabbits. Before long, there's so much secrecy no one can truly know what's going on, who has what, and who is telling the truth. There are so many lies and so much disinformation in our age that truth is becoming an anachronism. "The story," seems to be what matters to most people as long as the narrative doesn't go off course and reveal their secrets, lies, and horrible acts. When it comes to LENR, I think most of the secrecy is due to flat out greed. In my opinion, Rossi and me356 both know that if they revealed exactly how one of their earliest systems worked and how to replicate, they'd have a hundred competitors over night. So they keep their know how locked up for years while we know-nothings (including myself) scramble to put together puzzle pieces and make sense of the divergent data and information.

• Before long, there's so much secrecy no one can truly know what's going on, who has what, and who is telling the truth.

I respectfully disagree. Only a small minority of people regularly resort to straight-up lies and misdirection. Many simply keep quiet and keep a low profile if they have a secret to keep. Even when trade secrets are at stake, I can only assume that it is not normal behavior to tell bold lies to people, nor should it be.

• I'd say the majority of people are willing to lie when the stakes are high and they have something to lose. Today, morality is more flexible than ever before, and the end result is what seems to count. Specifically addressing the LENR field, we don't know how many teams may be silently working while achieving enormous success: my hope is they'd be willing to share their results openly along with the instructions on how to replicate. If they don't come forward, they could be technically lying by omission or at least allowing the whole community and field to stagnate. But they are not nearly as bad as the Patterson's of the world who try to carefully design demonstrations to be only moderately convincing to attract the attention of investors but to keep the eyes of competent potential competitors away. Rossi falls into this category, IMO. Then we have folks like me356 who express openness at first and then shift towards secrecy. This bugs me almost as much as Rossi's behavior in the past.

• Today, morality is more flexible than ever before

Are you sure about that? Have you read history? I suggest you look at morality in ancient Rome, or Edo period Japan, or in the Southern U.S. states before the Civil War. I expect you will find that people in other times were not angels. Their morality was flexible. It was no better than ours, and sometimes worse.

People often imagine that things are going to hell in a handbasket, morality as we have known it is kaput, and people have never been worse than they are now. People said that 100 years ago in 1918 when WWI was finally coming to an end, and in 1860, and in all other eras. In 1943, Philip Wiley wrote a best-selling book titled "Generation of Vipers" claiming that U.S. morality was atrocious, and we might lose the war because we were such moral delinquents. Things had never been worse. Nowadays, people say that was "the greatest generation." So, which is it? My parents and the other adults I knew growing were part of that generation. In my opinion, they were no better or worse than the people before them or the ones who came after.

In my case, many of the adults I knew were Japanese WWII vets. I don't know if that qualifies them for Greatest Generation status, but I do know they were no better or worse than the Americans who fought against them.

That generation did have a rendezvous with destiny, as FDR put it, and they accomplished remarkable things, such as flying Zero fighter airplanes into ships.

See:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06W56TMP4

https://www.amazon.com/Greates…okaw-ebook/dp/B000FC1IE0/

• Official Post

When it comes to LENR, I think most of the secrecy is due to flat out greed.

I have gotten familiar with the LENR story, but I have not a clue as to the core reasons for this prevalent secrecy...And in saying that, I mean everyone but Rossi. I suspect it has to do with lots of things (not just greed), but only an insider IMO could adequately explain it all. It is a problem though, as so many of the old guard confess to.

Alan said in his CFN interview today, that many of the "still kicking" old guard, are reaching out to him, wanting to get their story out. I find that comment intriguing, and hopeful. We shall see if it comes to anything.

• I have gotten familiar with the LENR story, but I have not a clue as to the core reasons for this prevalent secrecy...And in saying that, I mean everyone but Rossi. I suspect it has to do with lots of things (not just greed), but only an insider IMO could adequately explain it all.

The reason is simple. You cannot get a patent for cold fusion. The Patent Office rejects all patents out of hand, without review. That policy was put in place soon after cold fusion was announced. See:

http://lenr-canr.org/acrobat/CageKmemorandum.pdf

Cold fusion is so important that if it works, only a patent will protect the discoverer's intellectual property. Other methods such as trade secrets will not work. So, the people funding cold fusion have no choice but to try to keep it secret until they can persuade the Patent Office to allow patents.

A few patents have gotten through by various loopholes.

http://lenr-canr.org/acrobat/FrenchDpatentsand.pdf

• I'd say the majority of people are willing to lie when the stakes are high and they have something to lose.

There are no "stakes" here. In the context of cold fusion, lies are useless. You can lie until the cows come home, but it will not bring in a single dollar for a cold fusion discovery.

Rossi's lies will not help him secure intellectual property. The only way he can do that is to get a patent. A patent cannot include any lies. A PHOSITA has to be able to replicate from the patent. There is no way Rossi can hide a valid technology by lying, dissembling, giving false leads, or by any other means. He can only do that by being 100% honest in a patent application -- because without 100% honesty the patent will be overturned.

The only thing Rossi can accomplish with his lies and other machinations is to steal money by defrauding investors. His lies can have no other purpose but that.

Secrecy may be useful in cold fusion, but lying is not. In other R&D, such as developing a self-driving car, there are trade secrets and experts you can poach from other companies. In that situation, lying, exaggerating, or putting out false leads to confuse the competition and send them off on a wild goose chase may serve a useful purpose. IBM used to play such games with consummate skill. But such business strategies are useless in cold fusion.

• Official Post

Jed,

I am very familiar with the USPTO's SAWS program, which was designed to prevent "publicly embarrassing " (aka CF) patent apps form becoming reality, as I have written about it many times before. I always associated it however, with stifling commercial innovators such as Patterson and the like,. Not the academic/government/garage lab type researchers. But thinking about it now, I can see how even institutions look to their labs for profit,, but profits do not happen without a patent, etc.

Good angle I never thought about. Thx.

• Official Post

Rossi's US patent can be invalidated based on his documented fabrications.

FTR, his only US patent is for a "fluid heater". His "energy catalyzer wafer" was listed as one of the many fuels it could run on. He may have it "invalidated" as you say, for his fabrications, but his lies first have to be proven in a court of law. Unless "innocent until proven guilty" is overturned...and no, this is not an opening for political sniping! :)

Even had IH not settled, and Rossi lost in the ensuing court battle, it is unlikely that the USPTO would have even associated his "Fluid Heater" with the judgement, and reversed their approval. Nor would it matter if they did, as it is just a fluid heater.

• Rossi's US patent can be invalidated based on his documented fabrications.

And the same for his trademark cat and ball, which in the USPTO trademark application included an image of a domestic heater (one of the small modules in place in the Red Container, Doral), supposedly "climatizing" the laboratory at the 'point of sale'.

• The demo the Alan Smith describes and intends to demonstrate involving a glow discharge though a tube of low pressure gas that activates a piece of metal foil is interesting.

IMHO, the foil is producing muons. It is known that muons pass through light elements without reacting to any great degree. But muons react vigorously with heavy elements because of the high nuclear density of these heavy elements. The reaction cross section of muons with heavy elements like lead is about a million times greater than that with hydrogen. The muons catalyze fusion and fission on the heavy elements which results in the production of protons, neutrons and neutral atomic fragments.

Holmlid uses copper as a way to convert muons to radiation that is more detectable by radiation counters. This has something to do with copper's high surface conductivity.

The high voltage discharge produces surface phasmon polaritons that will form a condensate on the surface of the metal foil and convert the energy content of the high voltage glow discharge into muons.

This muon hypothesis can be verified through the use of a cload chamber. The chamber will produce tracks that are capable of showing the charge of the particles produced by the foil and their energies.

With all the experience in a wide array of scientific methods, operation of a cload chamber should be well within Alan's capabilities.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.