Cold Fusion Now : New Podcast with Alan Smith interview by Ruby carat

• Alan, I think that the experiment that you described in Ruby's interview with you is an experiment begging for replication! And it is a good opportunity for you to set a good example for the LENR world how not to be obsessively secretive.

So I suggest that you prepare a detailed recipe for your experiment and publish it for everyone that has the will and resources to have a go at it.

If the result of your experiment can be reproduced the next thing to do is to figure out what makes the Gieger counter tick! Could it be Director's beloved EVO:s?

• I transcribed a section of the podcast relevant to the discussion.

http://www.coldfusionnow.org/podcast/Ruby-Carat-Alan-Smith-Cold-Fusion-Now-005.mp3

[21:28] [Ruby] Alan Smith, you're going to be demonstrating a live glow discharge experiment at the New Energy World Symposium. That's Mats Lewan's event happening next June 18-19th in Stockholm Sweden, correct?

[21:50] [Alan] That's quite correct, yes. Mats is (???) for both days because I'll be presenting the Hydrogen stuff that we've talked about, but also a glow discharge experiment, which [is] pure LENR; I'm designing it in conjuction with one of the "Old Guard", as I call them - of the LENR field and they may or may not want their name to be public, I don't know. But, what it involves is very simple equipment: we're gonna pass a glow charge through a tube containing (???) low pressure gas, almost like a neon tube but without a phosphor. Probably running at something like 5 or 10 thousands volts. In the middle there will be a piece of metal foil. When the glow discharge begins then two things should happen. One of them (???): the metal foil should glow very very brightly, and sparkle in fact. You get sparkles on the surface. The other thing is, it produces what might be described as "anomalous radiation", what's, I think it was Edward Teller who coined the term, "Meshugganons".

[23:10] And, one of the characteristics of this radiation is that it does not do much to a Geiger counter. The Geiger… almost as if it weren't… was neutron radiation. The Geiger is very sluggish, but as you begin to pile shielding between the Geiger counter and the source - the glowing foil - so the radiation count goes up, and up and up.

[23:25] This sounds a little bit scary, but people who know much more about radiation than I do say: "well, the strange thing is you can saturate a Geiger counter and set all the alarms off, but it does not appear to be harmful". So maybe it's muons, cosmic rays or something like that. Who knows, who knows. Interesting experiment and by June I'll know a lot more.

[24:04] [Ruby] Well, we'll look forward to hearing about that. […]

• Official Post

@H-G Branzell.

Funny thing you know, no matter how openly you discuss work and ideas the idea of 'secrets' is so deeply ingrained in our scientific and commercial culture that even if you are completely open about what you do and how it is done, people always believe there is more. But I assure you, that LFH is completely open. When I told Ruby we planned a LENR 'show and tell' live in Stockholm we really mean it, likewise with the LION replication. Another strange fact is that the more open you are, the fewer people care about it.

As far as I am concerned fundamental and reliable LENR systems would be as impossible to keep secret as the invention of the wheel, or fire, so why bother?

The secrecy and the patents can and should only revolve around the subsequent R&D and the IP created from that. LFH have made it very clear to our very generous donors that we will accept no restrictions on publication of basic methods or systems, and that only if they want us to go further and develop engineered applications which required further large-scale funding would we consent to work 'under the radar'. If LENR really does turn out to be 'Fire 2.0' then we need to share it with all the rest of the Neanderthals before we all become extinct.

• (Alan, sorry for misspelling your first name, it is corrected.)

I think your ambitions are commendable.

My suggestion was serious, with just a little wink in a certain Direction.

So what are we waiting for?

• https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surface_plasmon_polariton

The key to producing SPPs is matching the electron's energy level with the photons energy level. Alan is most likely using an alternating current high voltage source. There will be a ideal voltage in that voltage source cycle where the electron energy will match the energy of the photons.

It should be possible to adjust the voltage of the HV source to a critical point where SPPs are no longer produced. It also shoud be possible to adjust the frequency of the light entering the tube so that the critical voltage is changed.

It might be that the foil is generating its own photons and thus be independent of externally produced photons since it was stated that the foil glowed brightly. If the reaction occurs without the need for external photons, then the foil is self stimulated with respect to photon production. The foil might first produce heat photons due to electron impact then move up the photon frequency scale to the visible light range as the SPPs Bose condensate store energy from the incoming electrons.

The light coming of the foil is coherent and the energy gap will show the Mollow-type triplet, which becomes a signature of coherence of the photons with the e-h system and direct evidence of strong coupling.

page1-1654px-Mollow_triplet.pdf.jpg

This experiment is similar to the exploding titanium foil experiments that was shown to change the mix pf U238 to U235 through the fission of U238.

Low-energy nuclear reactions and the leptonic monopole

Georges Lochak*, Leonid Urutskoev**

http://www.lenr-canr.org/acrobat/LochakGlowenergyn.pdf

It might be possible to show the stabilization of a radioactive isotope using the chiral muons/electrons coming off this reaction.

• Glow discharge: A whole bunch of physics:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Official Post

Update on the move into our new lab. Hopefully the landlord's painters will do the business this weekend, I will be extremely pissed if they don't, the pile of sheeted equipment on the lab floor (and my sense of lost time) grows by the day! Furniture fitting is booked to begin on Monday midday, a hefty new lathe and milling machine are arriving on Wednesday. I am organising the lab so we can use the space for interactive seminars if required, maybe 10-15 people at a time - I will be able to confirm numbers when the fit-out is done. Around half of the new lead-block wall came yesterday, delivered by a chap around the size of a small house. I'm so glad he didn't hand me the crate without a warning about its weight!

• axil: Time will tell

Alan: Your new den looks promising. Tell us about the lathe and the milling machine, what make and model are they? Or maybe you have pictures?

<a while later>

Thank you, they look nice. I am sure that they will be put to good use!

• This will probably look like a silly idea, but I wonder if a super low cost detector for "strange radiation" that the experiment in Alan Smith's demo is proposed to emit could be made like this:

I'd suggest using the same type of antenna that would be useful for detecting longitudinal waves - long rods oriented so the strange radiation would travel through their length.

• No strings attached research funds are as rare as unicorns. I'm thankful Alan found such a source. It's something that has probably NEVER existed in the history of LENR, except perhaps private donations and contributions from individuals. And, I think, Earthtech has paid for a few items for various researchers and provided some pro-bono services. Don't get me wrong: I know there are companies that have passed around funds to various inventors and teams. But as far as I know they all came with some sort of requirement, even if non-monetary.

• @Director

It has been sometimes suggested that the reaction would cause unusual electrical noise or pulses that could for example be detected with an AM radio.

If that is not simply due to standard electromagnetic pulses but actually to a stream of charged particles and electrons from beta decay reactions that such particles would cause in the "antenna" material, then such antenna would need a large planar surface area and be made of a sufficiently dense material to catch as many particles as possible from the radiation source.

The specific implementation in that diagram might not necessarily work, however.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.