Uploaded Mengoli Ni-H paper

• Note that this paper describes a 3-day heat after death event, on p. 16:

The plain curve of fig. 9 emphasizes both the remarkable temperature increase paralleling electrolysis (I = 0.150 A) and a quite unexpected phenomenon: after 240 min of electrolysis, in o.c. conditions, the electrolyte temperature did not decrease to its original value. In other words, the system showed a persistent thermal “after effect”: 0.300 W were still emitted by the electrode 4000 min after the cell had been taken to o.c.

The terminology is a little obscure:

"After effect" means heat after death.

o.c. means open circuit; i.e. turned off.

4000 min = 66 hours or ~3 days. That is the longest Ni-H heat after death event I have ever heard of. The few other heat after death events with Ni-H are reported in other papers, but I do not recall any as long as this.

I assume heat after death is sustained by hydrogen or deuterium outgassing from a hydride bulk (inside), and reacting near the surface. The heat only lasts as long as it takes to outgas. That's Ed Storms' hypothesis. It is surprising that it took 3 days to outgas from nickel, because nickel does not hold much gas. It is indeed "quite unexpected" as the authors say.

Look carefully at Fig. 9, p. 17, to see what the authors mean.

• The heat only lasts as long as it takes to outgas. That's Ed Storms' hypothesis. It is surprising that it took 3 days to outgas from nickel, because nickel does not hold much gas.

Jean-Paul Biberian told me this is sintered nickel with small crystals. He has tested this kind of material and seen it load up to 50% with gas loading. So it holds a lot more hydrogen than I realized. He said he was also surprised at how much hydrogen it holds.

~50% loading might take 3 days to unload. That sounds plausible. The heat after death was ~300 mW, which is high enough to measure with confidence with this calorimeter. There is no input power so it is easy to detect.

I am assuming that Storms' hypothesis is correct, and heat after death is caused by gas emerging from the bulk and reacting near the surface, or on the surface. If that is wrong, you can cancel this discussion and I have no idea what causes heat after death.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.