Two LENR Scholarship and Krell Institute U.S. Department of Energy Scholarship Recipients

• George H. Miley-LENR Scholarship.

NPRE - George H. Miley LENR Undergraduate Scholarship
    NPRE - George H. Miley LENR Undergraduate Scholarship
    npre.illinois.edu

Requirements and Description:

MAKE A GIFT to support the

George H. Miley-LENR Scholarship.

Professor George H. Miley established this scholarship in 2004. Throughout his career at Illinois, starting in 1961, Professor Miley gained recognition as a vigorous and prolific nuclear scientist, as well as an administrative leader. He pioneered research in nuclear pumped lasers, advanced fuel fusion, fission reactors and nuclear batteries, writing several books on the technologies and gaining worldwide honors along the way. He became the first director of Illinois' interdisciplinary fusion program, and also chaired the nuclear engineering department.

Each year, NPRE chooses among the department's continuing students one or more highly motivated undergraduates as the winner/winners of the Miley/NPRE Scholarship.

Recipients:

• 2018-19 - Andrew Kim, Michelle McCord, Andrew Page, Dario G. Panici
    • 2017-2018 - Dario G. Panici, Cody D. Moynihan
    • 2016-2017 - Jeremy J.H. Mettler
    • 2015-2016 - Steven A. Stemmley
    • 2014-2015 - Brandon T. Lee
    • 2013-2014 - Mikhail S. Finko, Jan P. Uhlig
    • 2012-2013 - Amanda M. Lietz, Matthew M. Szott
    • 2011-2012 - Leo E. Kirsch, Kathleen J. Weichman
    • 2010-2011 - Peter R. Fiflis, Leigh A. Kesler
    • 2009-2010 - Peter R. Fiflis
    • 2008-2009 - David A. Burns
    • 2007-2008 - David A. Burns, Jose E. Rivera
    • 2006-2007 - Jeffery N. Cardoni, Ian M. Percel
    • 2005-2006 - Ian M. Percel
    • 2004-2005 - Luke M. Gotszling
    • 2003-2004 - Wayne Lytle
  • The George H. Miley LENR Scholarship is unique and bridges the entry of CMNS into mainstream arts of science. Will these young scholarship recipients careers be ruined by participating in cold fusion research? No. I think not.

From the most recent (2019) NPRE & ANS Honors Banquet. https://npre.illinois.edu/news…nized-2019-honors-banquet

Students’ outstanding efforts in academics, research, service and leadership were recognized during the 2019 NPRE & ANS Honors Banquet.

Held in April in conjunction with the American Nuclear Society Illinois Student Chapter organization, the NPRE event recognizes students for earning honors from the Department, Grainger College of Engineering, campus, national organizations and corporate partners.

The event is sponsored in part by the Edward E. Mineman Memorial Endowment Fund. NPRE alumnus Edward F. Mineman, BS 84, and his brother Blaine A. Mineman, AB 85, Political Science, MBA 87, established the fund to honor their father. The NPRE unrestricted fund, supported by many alumni and friends, also helps pay for this event that invites participation of all NPRE students.

gbgoblenote - The George H. Miley LENR Scholarship contains this description (visionary) and a list of donors/contributors worth studying.

NPRE Visionary Scholarships assist tremendously with recruiting and retaining NPRE’s best and brightest undergraduate students. These scholarships are designed to be transformational, and can make a tangible difference in a student’s ability to afford attending the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Exelon Corporation, a Chicago-based Fortune 100 utility company that works in every stage of the energy business – power generation, competitive energy sales, transmission and delivery – has been instrumental in establishing Engineering Visionary Scholarships within NPRE. Several individuals also have contributed to NPRE Visionary Scholarships.

• David J. Atwater, Downers Grove, IL
    • Michael A. Chiasson, Long Grove, IL
    • Andrew E. Christensen, Buffalo Grove, IL
    • Erin R. Fanning, Naperville, IL
    • Connor A. Pigg, Mount Vernon, IL
    • Anthony R. Ruzzo, Naperville, IL
    • Matthew A. Weiss, Vernon Hills, IL

Note

Exelon does business in 48 states, the District of Columbia and Canada, and is one of the largest competitive U.S. power generators.

• NEWSROOM

Nuclear Regulatory Commission Approves Exelon Separation Plan

Action marks latest step in plan to separate Exelon’s utility and competitive energy businesses

NOVEMBER 17, 2021

CHICAGO – Exelon Corp. (Nasdaq: EXC) announced today that the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) has approved the company’s plan to separate into two companies, Exelon and Constellation, in the first quarter of 2022. Exelon will separate its transmission and distribution utility business (Exelon) and its retail energy and competitive power generation business (Constellation), which includes the nation’s largest fleet of nuclear power plants.

• Leo Kirsh George H. Miley LENR Scholarship Recipient 2011/2012

Krell Institute

Current Alumni

Alumni Career Paths https://www.krellinst.org/ssgf/alumni/profile?n=kirsch2015

Nuclear Regulatory Commission Scholarship 2009-2011 (provides funding to support for nuclear science, engineering, technology, and related disciplines to develop a workforce capable of supporting the design, construction, operation, and regulation of nuclear facilities and the safe handling of nuclear materials)

Nuclear Energy University Programs Scholarship 2010 (attract high-quality undergraduate students into Nuclear Science and Engineering (NS&E) disciplines and to help train and educate the next generation of nuclear scientists and engineers)

Exelon Corporation Nuclear Power Engineering Education Program Scholarship 2009-2011 (promoting the study of science, engineering and technical skills, we contribute to our future energy leadership)

UIUC Travel Fellowship Abroad 2011 (An alumnus of the College of Engineering, Armin Elmendorf, established a fund to encourage engineering students to seek an understanding of the responsibilities of world citizenship)

I4I Study Abroad Scholarship 2011 (scholarship dedicated specifically for the students to help off-set expenses to any type of study abroad program)

UIUC Cornwell, R.E. Memorial Scholarship 2009

• Jeremy J.H. Mettler

George H. Miley-LENR Scholarship recipient 2016/2017

"NPRE Graduate Student Spotlight: Jeremy Mettler"

10/27/2019 James Sopkin

Source

The University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign is a public land-grant research university in Illinois in the twin cities of Champaign and Urbana. It is the flagship institution of the University of Illinois system and was founded in 1867. https://npre.illinois.edu/news/stories/23679

One way NPRE celebrated Graduate Student Appreciation Week last week was by highlighting the work of some of our graduate students. Under direction of Prof. David Ruzic, NPRE graduate student Jeremy Mettler hopes to use his studies of plasma-material interactions to start his own career in academics.

What previous degrees do you hold and when and where did you receive them?

Previous Degree: BS NPRE, received in 2018 from Illinois.

What are your research interests?

I am interested in studying how plasmas can be used to modify and enhance the properties of materials for use in everyday life. In general I find interesting the wide variety of ways plasmas have proven useful in engineering new materials for everything from computers to solar panels.

Who is your advisor?

Prof. David Ruzic.

On what project are you currently working?

I am currently studying how laser/plasma systems might be used to produce microstructures and modify the surface properties of materials. Specifically, I am looking at how femtosecond lasers can be used to produce ordered ripple structures at the micro and nano scale on metals, and how these structures change the wettability and other surface properties.

What funding/fellowship is supporting you?

I am supported by a 25 percent teaching assistantship and a 25 percent research assistantship. I like the combination of research and teaching as I would like to become a professor once I graduate.

When do you expect to earn your PhD?

I expect to graduate in 2023

What are your career goals?

To become a professor and continue to pursue my passions both in research and as a mentor to students.

Why did you choose NPRE?

I chose NPRE because I recognize the unique importance of plasma processing as a current and future technique for producing advanced materials. The NPRE Department is unique, in my view, for the combination of excellent faculty, sense of community, and broad slate of exciting and interesting research.

Why did you choose Illinois?

Same reasons as NPRE.

• An example of research by a LENR scholarship recipient performed during the scholarship program. It would be interesting to hear Ian Percel's perspective of this scholastic experience.

George Miley LENR Scholarship

2005-2006 and 2006-2007 Recipient - Ian M. Percel

INTENSE NON-LINEAR SOFT X-RAY EMISSION FROM A HYDRIDE TARGET DURING PULSED D BOMBARDMENT

GEORGE H. MILEY, YANG YANG, ANDREI LIPSON, MUNIMA HAQUE, AND IAN PERCEL Department of Nuclear, Plasma and Radiological Engineering, University of Illinois, 103 S.Goodwin Ave., Urbana, IL 61801, U.S.A. MICHAEL ROMER Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Illinois, 1406 W. Green St.,Urbana, IL 61801, U.S.A.

http://ui.adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2006cmns...12..314M/abstract

ABSTRACT

Radiation emission from Low Energy Nuclear Radiation (LENR) electrodes (both charged-particle and x-rays) represents an important feature of LENR in general. Here, calibration, measurement techniques, and soft x-ray emission results from deuterium bombardment of a Pd target (cathode) placed in a pulsed deuterium glow discharge (PGD) are described. An x-ray intensity of 13.4mW/cm2 and a dose of 3.3 μJ/cm2 were calculated over a 0.5 ms pulse time from AXUV photo diode radiation detector measurements. A most striking feature is that x-ray energies > 600 V are observed with a discharge voltage only about half of that value. To further investigate this phenomenon, emission during room temperature D-desorption from electrolytically loaded Pd: Dx cathodes was also studied. The x-ray emission energy observed was quite similar to the PGD case. However, the intensity in this case was almost 13 orders of magnitude lower due to the much lower deuterium fluxes involved.

Introduction

A. B. Karabut in the LUTCH Laboratory in Russia recently reported x-ray laser (~1.5keV) emission from metal targets such as Ti and Pd, which served as the cathode in a high-current pulsed deuterium glow discharge plasma diode [1]-[2]. Later, he vividly demonstrated the potential capability of this type of laser with a small follow-up 10 W “prototype” unit, which “drilled” a 9-mm diameter hole in a 3-cm thick plastic target. This remarkable unit is more compact and provides a shorter wavelength than any prior “table top” x-ray laser. Staff at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (UIUC) have undertaken theoretical and experimental studies of the mechanisms involved in this unique x-ray emission phenomenon [2]-[3]. In UIUC’s experiments, it was established that anomalous x-ray emission is observed during PGD operation at a pressure of 0.1-0.5 Torr and at a spacing of about 4.0 mm between the cathode and anode. The current pulses have a square shape with 0.2-2.0 ms duration and a rise time of 0.1 s. The glow discharge operated at a voltage as low as 300V with a pulsed current up to 2 A. These crucial conditions are similar to those in Karabut’s earlier studies [1-2], but the voltage operation down to 300 V represents a new region. This paper will briefly describe the UIUC pulsed deuterium bombardment glow discharge project. The x-ray diagnostics employed and their calibration will be discussed.

• Where might a LENR Scholarship lead you? Will you work on CMNS research or in important related fields? How will it affect your career?

George W. Miley LENR Scholarship

2010-2011 Leigh Ann Kesler

Bits from her story....

Source

mitcommlab.mit.edu was first indexed by Google in September 2016

Leigh Ann Kesler : NSE Communication Lab

MIT - NSE

Nuclear Science and Engineering

MEET OUR FELLOWS & STAFF

Leigh Ann Kesler

Freelance engineering consultant & technical writer.

NSE Communication Fellow 2015-2018.

Leigh Ann joined the Comm Lab during her third year of graduate school, inspired by the quals workshop developed by the original team of Fellows. She completed her PhD research with Profs. Dennis Whyte and Zach Hartwig, where she developed a technique for using ion beam analysis to monitor high-Z surfaces inside a tokamak. After her PhD, she performed postdoctoral research developing facilities for proton irradiation of high-temperature superconductors. Now, she works as a freelance science consultant and writer, a role which allows her to continue contributing to the Comm Lab as a communication strategy expert, in addition to exploring interesting experimental science. - end quotes

She then went on for her doctoral at MIT, working under Professor Zach Hartwig and Dennis Whyte.

Source

news.mit.edu was first indexed by Google in August 2015

MIT and newly formed company launch novel approach to fusion power
    Development of fusion power, a carbon-free, combustion-free source of energy, is now on a faster track toward realization, thanks to a collaboration between…
    news.mit.edu

"MIT and Newly Formed Company Launch Novel Approach to Fusion Power"

Goal is for research to produce a working pilot plant within 15 years.

By using magnets made from the newly available superconducting material — a steel tape coated with a compound called yttrium-barium-copper oxide (YBCO) — SPARC is designed to produce a fusion power output about a fifth that of ITER, but in a device that is only about 1/65 the volume, Hartwig says. - end quotes

Dr. Kesler went on to work elsewhere.... Yet let's take a look at SPARC and where it is now. Impressive.

Four years later

Source

The American Nuclear Society is an international, not-for-profit organization of scientists, engineers, and industry professionals that promote the field of nuclear engineering and related disciplines. ANS is composed of three communities: professional divisions, local sections/plant branches, and student sections.

Article link

MIT and Commonwealth Fusion Systems agree to five-year SPARC collaboration

RESEARCH & APPLICATIONS

"MIT and Commonwealth Fusion Systems Agree to Five-Year SPARC Collaboration"

Mon, May 16, 2022

The Massachusetts Institute of Technology’s Plasma Science and Fusion Center (PSFC) recently announced it will expand its involvement in fusion energy research and education under a new five-year agreement with Commonwealth Fusion Systems (CFS), a fusion energy company that got its start at MIT and is now building what it says will be the world’s first net-energy fusion machine—the demo-scale SPARC. - end quote

Back to Leigh Ann Kesler.

A look at her experience posted on LinkedIn. Fantastic career, she is back at Los Alamos where she interned long ago. So far I haven't found any LENR research paper with her name on it. Certainly the scholarship did not hurt her career. Best wishes her way and... Big Thanks

Leigh A. Kesler

https://www.linkedin.com/in/leigh-a-kesler-35aa3253

Experience

Research And Development Engineer

Los Alamos National Laboratory

Jan 2022 - Present

Los Alamos, New Mexico, United States

Freelance Technical Writer

Jun 2019 - Present 3 yrs 2 mos

Idaho, United States

I create and edit technical and non-technical writing on topics including nuclear engineering, fusion energy, science communication, and outdoor activities.

Engineering Consultant

Jun 2019 - Jan 2022 2 yrs 8 mos

Idaho, United States

I perform(ed) experiments and analysis related to the performance of high temperature superconductors.

Massachusetts Institute of Technology

Postdoctoral Associate

Nov 2018 - Jun 2019 8 mos

Cambridge, MA

I designed an experimental system to study the effects of radiation on the performance of high-temperature superconductors. I also managed a laboratory with two graduate and four undergraduate researchers, including maintenance, scheduling, and communication.

Graduate Research Assistant

Aug 2012 - Nov 2018 6 yrs 4 mos

Cambridge, MA

I developed a diagnostic using in situ ion beam analysis to study high-Z surfaces in a fusion device, enabling time-resolved measurements of surface changes due to plasma exposure. This technique utilized an ion-beam-implanted depth marker as a reference point to the surface from which bulk erosion of high-Z surface components can be measured using deuteron- and proton-induced nuclear reactions.

NIF Student Intern

Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory

May 2012 - Aug 2012 4 mos

Livermore, CA

I worked in the NIF Directorate as an intern under Siegfried Glenzer. I did work on NIF shot analysis, in addition to running diagnostics on the LWFA experiment currently running on the Callisto laser in the Jupiter Laser Facility.

University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

3 yrs 5 mos

Undergraduate Research Assistant at Center for Plasma Material Interactions

Jan 2009 - May 2012 3 yrs 5 mos

I worked on several experiments related to plasma processing and MFE fusion research, including work with magnetron and RF sputtering of transparent conducting oxides and theta pinch production of fusion-like plasmas. I gained experience with RF technology, building high voltage circuits, Langmuir probes, triple Langmuir probes, 4-point probes, XRD, and MATLAB programming.

Engineering Learning Assistant

May 2011 - Oct 2011 6 mos

Urbana, IL

Student Intern in Nuclear Fuels

Exelon Jun 2011 - Aug 2011 3 mos

Warrenville, IL

Undergraduate Student Intern

Los Alamos National Laboratory

Jun 2010 - Aug 2010 3 mos

Los Alamos, NM

Employee

Kesler Farms

May 2004 - Aug 2008 4 yrs 4 mos

Rantoul, IL

I worked as a manager for site maintenance, coordinating the groundskeeping for the various farm lots. I additionally did general farm labor, including equipment repair, equipment operation, seed supply and delivery, and fabrication.

• I think every presentation was exciting, although today I saw more of the incremental improvements more common to previous ICCF's. Judging by the audience response, and the Q&A, I would say Erik Ziehm knocked it out of the ballpark with his "Detection of Alpha Particles using CR-39 During Glow Discharge with Pd Electrodes".

Ion-cathode Bombardment for the Creation of Tightly Bound Deuterium Clusters in Palladium

Ion-cathode bombardment for the creation of tightly bound deuterium clusters in palladium | IDEALS

Author(s) Ziehm, Erik Paul

Director of Research (if dissertation) or Advisor (if thesis)

Miley, George H.

Committee Member(s) - Allain, Jean P.

Department/Program - Nuclear, Plasma, & Rad Engr

Discipline - Nuclear, Plasma, Radiolgc Engr

Degree Granting Institution

University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

Degree M.S.

Dissertation or Thesis - Thesis

Keyword(s) Palladium-hydride Plasma-material interactions COMSOL Electron Energy Distribution Function (EEDF) Hydrogen-defect interactions

Abstract

A complementary approach of experimental and computational methods was used in pursuit of determining optimal ion bombardment parameters for the creation of deuterium clusters with high binding energies. The incident ions create damage cascades leading to the production of defects such as vacancies, dislocations, and voids. These defects are known to trap interstitial deuterium with binding energies dependent on the trap’s geometry and volume. To simultaneously obtain high concentrations of defects and hydrogen, a simple DC glow discharge method was employed. Deuterium ions bombarded a palladium cathode at varying fluences (1 x 〖10〗^18 ions/cm^3,1 x〖 10〗^19 ions/cm^3,and 1 x 〖10〗^20 ions/cm^3) and incident energies dependent on cathode bias (-0.75 kV,-0.875 kV,and -1.0 kV). Langmuir probe measurements of the Electron Energy Distribution Function (EEDF) validated a COMSOL simulation’s accuracy which confirmed the proper methodology for reproducing discharge dynamics. The simulation was a sequential coupling between COMSOL's Plasma module and Boltzmann Equation, Two-Term Approximation module allowing for more exact calculations of the Townsend coefficients. Properly accounting for the Townsend coefficients is necessary to represent the kinetics of DC discharges with low ionization fractions and species mobility highly dependent on the electric field. With these corroborating results, the model was expanded to conditions where measuring plasma properties became no longer feasible. The model produced Ion Angular Energy Distribution Functions (IAENDF) at the cathode which allowed for finding trends in Thermal Desorption Spectroscopy (TDS) curves. The desorption peaks centered around 600-800 K. There appeared to be a deuterium trapping limit dependent on defect concentration where once a distinct defect density was met any further damage was counterproductive to deuterium trapping. The condition that produced the most trapped deuterium was -0.75 kV cathode bias in 1 Torr deuterium with a fluence of 1 x 〖10〗^18 ions/cm^3. To further investigate these TDS trends some samples were observed under SEM and TEM. The results showed surface pit and blister formations which grew in concentration as the fluence increased. Beneath the surface formations, cross-section images showed large voids and holes in the material with cracks at grain boundaries. TEM images displayed the resulting damage structure which extended ~250 nm into the cathode for a sample at 1.0 Torr and -1.0 kV. A proposal is that as the damage concentration increased, these voids grew to such an extent that they formed the blisters and eventually ruptured leading to the release of the trapped deuterium.

Date Deposited

2017-12

Identifiers: URI or URL

Ion-cathode bombardment for the creation of tightly bound deuterium clusters in palladium | IDEALS

Copyright and License Information

Copyright 2017 Erik Ziehm

Simulation and Experimental Verification of an Argon DC Glow Discharge IEEE Xplore by E Ziehm · 2021 — Erik Ziehm and George H. Miley. University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Urbana, IL. 61801, USA.

Simulation and Experimental Verification of an Argon DC Glow Discharge
    A coordinated experimental-simulation study was carried out to explore the relationship between plasma conditions and ion angular energy distributions incident…
    ieeexplore.ieee.org

Distributed Power Source Using LENRs (PowerPoint)

George H. Miley, Erik Ziehm,

Tapan Patel, Anais Osouf, Kyu-Jung Kim, Bert Stunkard

University of Illinois Champaign IL, 61821 USAj

Work done in support of LENUCO

Source

CiteSeerX is a public search engine and digital library for scientific and academic papers, primarily in the fields of computer and information science. CiteSeer is considered as a predecessor of academic search tools such as Google Scholar and Microsoft Academic Search.l

https://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.977.5431&rep=rep1&type=pdf

"Helicon Injected Inertial Plasma Electrostatic Rocket"

Technical Papers – Selected papers from the 2021 Nuclear and Emerging Technologies for Space Topical Meeting (NETS 2021)

George H. Miley, Erik P. Ziehm, Raul Patino & Raad Najam

Received 24 Sep 2021, Accepted 14 Mar 2022,

Published online: 19 Jul 2022

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/00295450.2022.2055702

Recent Results from Gas Loaded Nanoparticle-Type Cluster Power Units

MOspace

University of Missouri-Columbia. Office of Research. International Conference on Condensed Matter Nuclear Science. 18th International Conference on Condensed Matter - Poster

Source
    The University of Missouri is a public land-grant research university in Columbia, Missouri. It is Missouri's largest university and the flagship of the four-campus University of Missouri System. MU was founded in 1839 and was the first public university west of the Mississippi River.

Composition measurements and imagery of nanoparticle gas loading experiments as an investigation of LENR reactions

Composition Measurements and Imagery of Nanoparticle Gas Loading Experiments as an Investigation of LENR Reactions

by A Osouf · 2013 — Ziehm, Erik · Kim, Kyu-Jung · Lee, Kyungshin · Miley, George

Composition measurements and imagery of nanoparticle gas loading experiments as an investigation of LENR reactions

Project Title:

Plasma Treatment for High-Density Hydrogen

Advisers: Erik Ziehm (Ph.D. Student) and Prof. George H. Miley.

http://publish.illinois.edu/illinois-sgc/files/2018/01/07-Miley-2018.pdf

• I received this message on LinkedIn today.

Gregory, I am a student at the University of Arkansas working on compression amplified deuterated oxide lattice fusion. Care to connect and share your experience with LENR and contemporary nuclear research?

We will be discussing this later in the week. I am preparing to speak with the sender. Anyone know anything about "compression amplified deuterated oxide lattice fusion"?

I will find out if he has worked on this.

Graft scaffold with plasmonic activity, and methods of making and using same

Patent number: 10390927

Abstract: A two dimensional (2D) active plasmonic scaffold includes a polymer film and one or more nanoparticle layers disposed on the polymer film. The nanoparticles has functional groups attached thereon. A three dimensional (3D) structure fabricated using the 2D scaffold.

Type: Grant

Filed: April 14, 2017

Date of Patent: August 27, 2019

Assignee: BOARD OF TRUSTEES OF THE UNIVERISTY OF ARKANSAS

Inventors: Alexandru S. Biris, Karrer Alghazali, Zeid A. Nima

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.