Two LENR Scholarship and Krell Institute U.S. Department of Energy Scholarship Recipients

• I look forward to where this thread leads.

I am also seeking current information about each 'George H. Miley LENR Undergraduate Scholarship' recipient.

George H. Miley LENR Undergraduate Scholarship
    NPRE - University of Illinois
    https://npre.illinois.edu/acad…undergraduate-scholarship
    NPRE Nuclear, Plasma, and Radiological Engineering
    216 Talbot Laboratory, MC-234
    104 South Wright Street
    Urbana, IL 61801
    217/333-2295 | fax: 217/333-2906
    email: [email protected]
    Copyright 2018 The Board of Trustees at the University of Illinois

Requirements and Description:

Professor George H. Miley established this scholarship in 2004. Throughout his career at Illinois, starting in 1961, Professor Miley gained recognition as a vigorous and prolific nuclear scientist, as well as an administrative leader. He pioneered research in nuclear pumped lasers, advanced fuel fusion, fission reactors and nuclear batteries, writing several books on the technologies and gaining worldwide honors along the way. He became the first director of Illinois' interdisciplinary fusion program, and also chaired the nuclear engineering department.

Each year, NPRE chooses among the department's continuing students one or more highly motivated undergraduates as the winner/winners of the Miley/NPRE Scholarship.

Scholarship Recipients:

2016-2017 - Jeremy J.H. Mettler
    2015-2016 - StevenA. Stemmley
    2014-2015 - Brandon T. Lee
    2013-2014 - Mikhail S. Finko, Jan P. Uhlig
    2012-2013 - Amanda M. Lietz, Matthew M. Szott
    2011-2012 - Leo E. Kirsch, Kathleen J. Weichman
    2010-2011 - Peter R. Fiflis, Leigh A. Kesler
    2009-2010 - Peter R. Fiflis
    2008-2009 - David A. Burns
    2007-2008 - David A. Burns, Jose E. Rivera
    2006-2007 - Jeffery N. Cardoni, Ian M. Percel
    2005-2006 - Ian M. Percel
    2004-2005 - Luke M. Gotszling
    2003-2004 - Wayne Lytle

Krell History

Dr. James Corones founded the Krell Institute (taking the name from the classic 1956 science fiction movie “Forbidden Planet”) in 1997 to manage three Department of Energy (DOE) programs: the DOE Computational Science Graduate Fellowship, Adventures in Supercomputing, and the Undergraduate Computational Engineering and Sciences Project.

Krell’s location arises from Corones’ background as a tenured mathematics professor at Iowa State University in Ames, and as a researcher and administrator at Ames Laboratory, a DOE facility ISU manages. He chose to maintain the Midwest location to employ experienced staff and maintain access to a qualified science and technology workforce. https://www.krellinst.org/about-krell/our-history

DOE Fellowships

The Krell Institute manages two Department of Energy (DOE) fellowships that identify and support the nation’s top science and technology graduate students. The DOE Computational Science Graduate Fellowship (DOE CSGF) is funded by the Department of Energy’s National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) and Office of Science. The NNSA also funds the Stewardship Science Graduate Fellowship (SSGF). https://www.krellinst.org/fellowships

Two Krell fellowship recipients previously received the 2012 George H. Miley LENR Undergraduate Scholarship. Interestingly they also had earlier received Nuclear Regulatory Commission Scholarships. It seems that studying LENR no longer hurts one's career.

Kathleen Weichman https://www.krellinst.org/csgf/fellow/weichman2014
    George H. Miley/LENR Undergraduate Scholarship, UIUC, Spring 2012.
    Nuclear Regulatory Commission Scholarship, Fall 2009-Spring 2011.

Leo Kirsch
    https://www.krellinst.org/ssgf/fellow/kirsch2015
    George H. Miley LENR Undergraduate Scholarship 2012 (presented to a highly motivated continuing undergraduate student in the department of Nuclear Engineering)
    Nuclear Regulatory Commission Scholarship 2009-2011

• DOE Early fusion modeling at Krell

2002 FESAC ISOFS Subcommittee Final Report

https://www.krellinst.org/forms/FSP_Final_Report_Vol2.pdf

A valuable nugget which seems applicable to the nuclear reactive environment of LENR...

Quote (pg 36)
    Waves can have strong interactions at localized regions in space due to various kinds of resonance. Either the wave velocity matches the particle velocity vwave =ω k = vparticle , and the particle sees a steady, accelerating electric field, or the wave frequency in a frame moving with the particle (Doppler effect) matches a harmonic of the particle cyclotron frequency, ω − kvparticle = lωc , and the gyrating particle sees a steady component of the electric field. The effect is an energy and momentum kick each time the particle passes through resonance. - end quotes

Founder of Krell - Vice chair "Fusion Simulation Project" DOE/SC-0073

Fusion Energy Sciences Advisory Committee, November 2002

'Panel on Integrated Simulation and Optimization of the Magnetic Fusion Systems'

https://science.energy.gov/~/m…Fsp_report_dec_9_2002.pdf

• Official Post

Greg,

Of course, as we all know, Miley is a well known player in LENR, but he made an even bigger name for himself in the hot fusion field. In the description for this award, they do not even mention LENR as one of his accomplishments. Nor does the name of the award itself (Nuclear, Plasma, and Radiological) include it. It is possible these award winning students were not even aware of Miley's significant contributions to the the low energy science. It would be interesting though if they were, and if so, did any follow in Miley's footsteps.

For the newbies; Miley formed Lenuco to deal with the LENR side of his career. I believe he is one of the few from the old guard (over 80 years old) to have actually gotten his USPTO patent approved. Also, IH bought the rights to that patent fairly recently. I do not know whether that means he is still active or not in the R/D. Maybe Dewey can answer.

Not sure where the Krell Institute and it's founder Corones come in?

• Here is where the complaint by many of the LENR crowd that mainstream science is conservative and resistant to radical changes is justified. I don't believe that any of the scholarships named at the top of this thread are for work in the field of LENR. This is because the intention of such scholarships is to provide young men and women of outstanding potential with a boost to a possible career in research and the LENR field is still too risky for this. No one who supervises the research of these students or plays a role in deciding who gets the awards will wish them to run such a gamble early on in their careers. High risk is for established (i.e., tenured) researchers or the private sector and I think that is the right way to structure things.

• the intention of such scholarships is to provide young men and women of outstanding potential with a boost to a possible career in research and the LENR field is still too risky for this.

I could not imagine awarding an aspiring graduate an award for their pursuit of LENR. It would end their career, before it even began. Or at least in academia it would IMO.

I wonder if the field of LENR now offers great opportunities for young nuclear physicists. The George H. Miley LENR Undergraduate Scholarship seems to be one such opportunity. My intention is to investigate these LENR scholarship recipients seeking present field of work, LENR research, associate researchers, possible patents, and affiliated companies and/or institutions. This compilation may provide fresh insight on the present day status of LENR and may lead to the discovery of unknown participants in the LENR energy race to market. LENR Forum provides a platform to begin this work and, as in the past, fellow members may provide some important contributions

It is possible these award winning students were not even aware of Miley's significant contributions to the the low energy science. It would be interesting though if they were, and if so, did any follow in Miley's footsteps.

Not sure where the Krell Institute and it's founder Corones come in?

Shane, Imagine the atomic modeling computational resources of the Krell Institute being turned to understanding the 'cold fusion' puzzle. I have often wondered when and where LENR will surface within the DOE, Krell seems one area of the DOE to keep tuned to. The Krell Institute may be an institution that has the resources to bring LENR into the mainstream, joining all types of high energy or low energy and strong force or weak force nuclear physics into our understanding of the atom.

I'm curious also, 'did any follow in Miley's footsteps,' or continue in the field of LENR. Certainly each recipient knew of Miley's LENR work, whether infamous or famous, it's the talk of the town at the University of Illinois Nuclear Physics department and it is in the title of the (George H. Miley LENR) scholarship. Some have even co-authored LENR research papers with him. While researching I found the following, which leads me to believe that Kathleen Weichman may know of Lawrence Forsley of UT Austin and of LENR at GEC or possibly is affiliated with ARL UT Austin.

From ResearchGate

Quote:

Kathleen Weichman's scientific contributions while affiliated with University of Texas at Austin (Austin, United States) and other places.

https://www.researchgate.net/s…3744690_Kathleen_Weichman

Also note:

'Heat generation from hydrogen/deuterium pressurization of nanoparticles : composition and temperature effect on heat output' By Patel, Tapan - Ziehm, Erik - Stunkard, Bert - Weichman, Kathleen - Osouf, Anaïs - Lee, Kyungshin - Kim, Kyu-Jung - Miley, George H. Published 2013

Abstract
    Research in support of small distributed LENR power units is reported. Findings will be discussed from studies of heat generation resulting from pressurization of various nanoparticles with either hydrogen or deuterium, depending on the composition. The effect of composition was studied using three different particle alloy compositions, composed of various amounts of nickel, palladium and zirconium. After pre-treatment, the particles were pressurized with hydrogen and/or deuterium. Results for the peak power density from these runs are presented. The runs were conducted at room temperature with 2 g of the particles but the results are normalized to a per gram basis. The results are presented for each particle type and are the average of multiple runs for each composition. 

URI http://hdl.handle.net/10355/36504 Collections Posters (18th International Conference on Condensed Matter Nuclear Science)

Related:

'Recent Results from Gas Loaded Nanoparticle-Type Cluster Power Units' by Patel, Tapan - Ziehm, Erik - Osouf, Anaïs - Weichman, Kathleen - Stunkard, Bert - Lee, Kyungshin - Kim, Kyu-Jung - Miley, George

Abstract

This research was done is support of the development of modular 5 kW co-generation power cells by LENUCO LLC. The aim of this research was to determine the dependence of particle composition and initial temperature on peak power and total heat output. Three particle compositions, composing of various amounts of nickel, palladium and zirconium, have been studied. The effects of initial temperature are also discussed. Excess heat generation is seen and is theorized to be attributed to Low Energy Nuclear Reactions(LENR).

URI http://hdl.handle.net/10355/36845 Collections Posters (18th International Conference on Condensed Matter Nuclear Science)

Also presented here:

“Study of Composition of Nanoparticles During Gas Loaded LENR Power Cell Operation” G. H. Miley, A. Osouf, K. Weichman, E. Ziehm, B. Stunkard, T. Patel, K. Lee, K. J. Kim, NanoTech Conference & Expo, Washington D.C. May 12 – 16, 2013

https://www.techconnectworld.c…3_PGuide_DAGs_web_TCW.pdf

• Dr. Miley and his team are stellar individuals and they continue to do some great work on the research side. Perhaps we'll hear more from him this summer.

Stellar is great... I like it... Dr. Miley continues to work in the field of LENR. On the issue of how LENR is esteemed or viewed by the mainstream scientists at the Department of Nuclear, Plasma, and Radiological Engineering (NPRE) University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign ...

"In Search of a Black Swan The Miley Conference" April 2011Nuclear Energy Research Conference – Celebrating Emeritus Prof. George H. Miley’s 50 Years of Research and Teaching at the University of Illinois

New•Generation newsletter for alumni and friends Nuclear, Plasma, and Radiological Engineering University of IL at Urbana-Champaign

https://npre.illinois.edu/site…ewgenfall2011_1-23-12.pdf

• Official Post

The George H. Miley LENR Undergraduate Scholarship

Greg,

My apologies. "LENR" was right there and I missed it. Thank you for politely pointing that out to me. I see now also, that it is a scholarship, not an award. Now I see why you want to track some of them down after leaving UOI, to see if they are pursuing LENR.

With LF being the happening place now for anything LENR, or related, maybe someone can help out?

Good find on the Weichman/UT connection. Hopefully you consider AS's suggestion. LF needs a good reporter who can dig out the story, behind the story. Last one like that was Mallove I believe.

• Last one like that was Mallove I believe.

You are too kind... Thank you.

On a side note... I am curious as to why GEC initially named their LENR reactor GeNie. There are plenty of references to the nuclear genie.

- There is the Genie air to air nuclear weapon. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AIR-2_Genie

The Douglas AIR-2 Genie (previous designation MB-1 and also known as the blivet) was an unguided air-to-air rocket with a 1.5 kt W25

nuclear warhead. It was deployed by the United States Air Force (USAF 1957–1985) and Canada (Royal Canadian Air Force 1965–68, Air Command 1968–84) during the Cold War. Production ended in 1962 after over 3000 were made, with some related training and test derivatives being produced later.

- Also this Time magazine article from 2016.

Trump Wants to Free the Nuclear Genie http://time.com/4276960/trump-…o-free-the-nuclear-genie/

As the world’s leaders gather Thursday in Washington for a two-day Nuclear Security Summit dedicated to keep such weapons in check, Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump is once again shaking things up: he argues that U.S. allies should build their own nuclear weapons so they no longer have to rely on an impoverished America’s atomic umbrella.

Historical https://www.quora.com/Of-the-d…e-genie-out-of-the-bottle

Of the development of the atomic bomb, who said "I fear that we have let the genie out of the bottle".?

J. Robert Oppenheimer said the “US has let the genie out of the bottle and now can’t stop it.” This was followed by the saying by Vishnu,”Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds,” quoting from the Bhagavad Gita.

- And there is this: Proceedings of the 11th International Conference on Cold Fusion

Marseilles, France, 31 October – 5 November 2004

A TRIBUTE TO GENE MALLOVE – THE “GENIE” REACTOR

K. WALLACE and R. STRINGHAM (2006) Condensed Matter Nuclear Science: pp. 1-10.

http://www.lenr-canr.org/acrobat/WallaceKatributeto.pdf

“Genie”, a 40kHz sonofusion reactor consists of two opposing 40kHz piezos separated by 4 mm of D2O, with a centered Ti target foil, with one piezo transmitting, the other receiving and taking that signal, amplifying it, then feeding it back to the transmitter as the resonating frequency of the reactor. This process makes for efficient watt input, Qi, where 80% of these watts will be used as the acoustic input, Qa, to the “Genie” sonofusion reactor. In the reactor the transient cavitation bubbles, TCBs, produce billions of low-energy high-density jets per second that accelerate deuterons into foil targets producing excess heat, Qx. The Qx is determined by calorimetric measurements of experiments that use coolant water circulated to the surface of the well insulated reactor and data collected in the form of Tin and Tout at steady-state temperatures and coolant flow rate. The total watts out, Qo, minus Qa ideally should equal zero, and we know that this calorimetry method has several losses that are not measured. This makes the method very conservative when looking for Qx. The Qx must make up those heat losses before making its presence known. The result from experiments of system I using flow × DT × 4.184 for Qo − Qi = Qx shows that Qx values over unity are the norm. System II used a more realistic calculation for Qx, where flow × DT × 4.184 for Qo − Qa = Qx showed increased results. The calibration of the reactor with a Joule heater (JH) and the substitution of H2O for D2O produced measurements that showed the reactor calorimetry was close to zero Qx production as one would expect. These measurements showed that heat in = heat out, a good zero indicating no Qx, for the operation of the “Genie” sonofusion reactor.

• George H. Miley LENR Undergraduate Scholarship recipient, 2003-2004 - Wayne Lytle, has done well in academia. He does not appear to be working in the field of LENR. ResearchGate https://www.researchgate.net/s…ions/2004491977_W_M_Lytle

"Lytle Wins Prestigious Scholarship" http://cpmi.illinois.edu/2010/…-prestigious-scholarship/

SPIE Awards $4500 BACUS Scholarship to Wayne Lytle

May 21, 2010 – SPIE has awarded a $4500 BACUS Scholarship to Wayne Lytle, Univ. of Illinois Urbana-Champaign (Urbana IL USA).

Lytle is pursuing his PhD in the Department of Nuclear, Plasma and Radiological Engineering. His thesis topic is related to the development of a contact-less cleaning technology that is plasma based, dry and in situ for the cleaning of lithographic masks or other surfaces used for integrated circuit manufacturing. He invented two new techniques called PACE, for Plasma-Assisted Cleaning by Electrostatics and PACMAN, Plasma-Assisted Cleaning by Metastable Atom Neutralization and showed how they can clean EUV masks without damaging the pattern.

• Research Groups http://npre.dev.engr.illinois.edu/research-groups

Important contributions have been made recently by several research groups working in the following areas: inertial electrostatic confinement for fusion applications and for neutron, X-ray, and gamma radiation sources; energy cell performance for heat release and material transmutations; advanced computational techniques applied to stochastic radiation transport, reactor physics, and safety, including Lie groups and group invariant difference schemes; perceptual displays and temporal pattern recognition applied to reactor control and operation; nuclear nonproliferation and safeguards; fusion blanket and diverter materials behavior and performance; plasma processing of electronic materials, plasma-induced sputtering, and plasma measurements; nuclear radiation effects on materials and neutron scattering measurements; materials behavior under high-temperature corrosion and radiation bombardment environments, including nondestructive examination; magnetic resonance imaging for cancer cell treatment; and thermal hydraulics, including multiphase flows, boiling in porous media, molten jet breakup, and turbulent structure modeling; and large-scale computer modeling of fission reactor systems, including reactor and control systems visualization.

RESEARCH AT LENR LAB http://lenr.npre.illinois.edu/RESEARCH.htm

Part of the research in the Low Energy Nuclear Reaction (LENR) Lab consists of experiments that use either an electrolysis process, a high pressure, or an arc process to force hydrogen atoms into the lattice structure of a thin film (500 – 1000 A) of metal. In this manner a very high loading, approaching 1 atom H/atom metal is achieved, a necessary condition for LENRs. One of the major goals of this research is to examine the metal before and after the experiment, to establish the signatures of LENRs by studying transmutation products. Another goal is to measure the energy output of the unit. If an ample amount is released, such cells offer an attractive small power source for future distributed energy systems. As support to experimental area a computer code (C.L.A.I.R.E.) that simulates the dynamics of charged particle in a metal lattice has been developed.

Low Energy Nuclear Reactions Lab - University of Illinois, Urbana, IL 61801 http://lenr.npre.illinois.edu/claire.htm

Here is an Aerospace Engineering M.S. thesis on LENR at University of Illinois

IDEALS https://www.ideals.illinois.ed…df?sequence=1&isAllowed=y

NUMERICAL SIMULATIONS OF EXPERIMENTAL RESULTS IN A POWER UNIT TO VALIDATE THE

ENERGY OUTPUT RESULTING FROM GAS PRESSURIZATIONS ON NANOPARTICLES

Abstract:

This thesis aims to interpret the first temperature measurements recorded by the research group in terms of heat release from pressurizations of specific nanoparticles of alloys by Hydrogen. The number of unknowns was an obstacle to achieve trustful hand-made calculations and therefore a numerical model was created using the software COMSOL Multiphysics©. From the model, the order of value of the heat release during the pressurizations has been found to be 400 joules. From the data available, a comparison to the potential chemical energy release has been started in order to state if an unconventional source of energy is present. Further experimental suggestions are made to determine some unknowns so that precise calculations of conventional energy release are performed instead of worst cases scenarios.

• Alan Smith Wow I might be able to make it to this one... It would be a bit tough, I'll give it a try.

3 - 8 June, 2018 | Fort Collins, CO USA The 21st INTERNATIONAL

CONFERENCE FOR CONDENSED MATTER NUCLEAR SCIENCE

ICCF-21 SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM https://www.iccf21.com/student-scholars

INTRODUCTION:

For the first time, a competitive scholarship program has been instituted at the 21st annual International Conference for Condensed

Matter Nuclear Science (ICCF-21) and we invite you to apply!

We created this scholarship because we believe it's important for the next generation of capable scientists with fresh energy, ideas, and an

interest in LENR to become involved in the field. Students who are selected for this opportunity will be invited to attend the ICCF-21

conference held at The Lory Student Center on the campus of Colorado State University in Fort Collins, Colorado from June 3 - 8, 2018.

Scholarship recipients arrive a day early on June 2 to attend the pre-conference school.

• George H. Miley LENR Undergraduate Scholarship Recipients

Luke M. Gotszling 2004-2005

No reference found of Luke working in the NPRE LENR group. He did well with his Miley Scholarship, winning awards, a BS in Nuclear Engineering, and went on to work in business, apps, and AI start-ups.

From NPRE NewGeneration Newsletter for alumni and friends

https://npre.illinois.edu/site…News/AlumniNewsFall06.pdf

2006-07 NPRE ANS Student Chapter officer (page 18)

Engineering Open House Representative:

Luke M. Gotszling of Huntington State

2008 Awards at NPRE Illinois (page 26)

https://npre.illinois.edu/site…ws/AlumniNewsSummer09.pdf

Luke M. Gotszling

- ANS Student Chapter Graduate Student Outstanding Service Award

- Alpha Nu Sigma National Honor Society Continuing Member

- Dean’s List

Luke Gotszling

https://about.me/luke

I'm currently building a company that is making AI that writes your emails.

I worked at about.me from December 2009 through February 2013 (acquired by Aol in December 2010). About.me was spun-out in February 2013 and I'm currently an advisor there--here :)

My prior positions were in: network security research, online payments, and small company stock offering markets.

I have a degree in nuclear engineering from the University of Illinois.

I like to dabble in NoSQL technologies, computer security, and financial markets.

I'm proud to say that my skill-set has been described as "extra-dimensional".

I'm currently on my 3rd year of kiteboarding and training for my tenth half-marathon.

In my free time you can find me reading or traveling, oftentimes both.

View company website https://peruse.io/

From Crunchbase: Contact Email. [email protected].

Peruse offers natural language question-answering solutions for business documents. The service intercepts incoming questions, extracts potential answers from Dropbox and Box documents, and delivers them to user preferred platforms. Peruse was launched by Luke Gotszling in 2014.

Ian M. Percel 2005-2006

Ian worked in the LENR lab alongside Miley and others. Here are two of his LENR research papers. I haven't found anything else. Interesting that Michael Romer of the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering contributed to these papers, showing a University cross discipline collaboration in NPRE LENR Lab research.

"Dynamics of Non-linear Soft X-Ray Emission from a Plasma Discharge-Driven Hydride Target" January 2006

By George H Miley, Yang Yang, Andrei Lipson, Munima Haque, Ian Percel, Michael Romer, and Heinz Hora

https://www.researchgate.net/p…rge-Driven_Hydride_Target

Abstract

A high current discharge apparatus with a pulsed power supply has been constructed and successfully demonstrated an intense soft x-ray ( > 600 eV) emission during bombardment by a 300 V deuterium plsma discharge. Emission is delayed until ˜1/2 ms into the msec voltage pulse. Both electron and ion Bremsstrahlung have been ruled out as significant contibutions to the emission. A possible mechanism to explain this highly nonlinear x-ray emission is collective generation of soft x-ray quanta induced by a coherent D-diffusion process near the cathode's surface. This combined with continuous high current deuteron bombardment results in the penetration of recoil deuterons into the inner electron shell of the cathode material, generating x-ray emission. G, Miley, et al., Trans. ANS, Washington, DC (Nov. 2005). Both electron and ion Bremsstrahlung have been ruled out as...

"Intense Non-Linear Soft X-Ray Emission from a Hydride Target during Pulsed D Bombardment" December 2006

By George H Miley, Yang Yang, Andrei Lipson, Munima Haque, Ian Percel, and Michael Romer

Department of Nuclear, Plasma and Radiological Engineering and Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Illinois.

https://www.researchgate.net/p…-Pulsed-D-Bombardment.pdf

Abstract

Radiation emission from Low Energy Nuclear Radiation (LENR) electrodes (both charged-particle and x-rays) represents an important feature of LENR in general. Here, calibration, measurement techniques, and soft x-ray emission results from deuterium bombardment of a Pd target (cathode) placed in a pulsed deuterium glow discharge (PGD) are described. An x-ray intensity of 13.4 mW/cm2 and a dose of 3.3 μJ/cm2 were calculated over a 0.5 ms pulse time from AXUV photodiode radiation detector measurements. A most striking feature is that x-ray energies > 600 V are observed with a discharge voltage only about half of that value. To further investigate this phenomenon, emission during room temperature D-desorption from electrolytically loaded Pd:Dx cathodes was also studied. The x-ray emission energy observed was quite similar to the PGD case. However, the intensity in this case was almost 13 orders of magnitude lower due to the much lower deuterium fluxes involved.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.